•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic 42 Johnson Central 14 final
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Ancient. History.

Yep, that's JC in a nutshell. They might not be the CovCath of old, but they're still alive two weeks before the finals again. What is it about JC that we should be getting anxious about at this point?:biglmao:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Can you dig it? Wrote:Yep, that's JC in a nutshell. They might not be the CovCath of old, but they're still alive two weeks before the finals again. What is it about JC that we should be getting anxious about at this point?:biglmao:
The eagles will be back to challenge the NKY schools soon. I for one still don't belie Cov Cath is that much better than them. You see that with undefeated teams a lot they play so well for so long that when the playoffs come around is when they play that off game. That program will be just fine.
Is this thread still going? Lots of lingering bile in the throat I guess. Colonels and Birds play in three days. And so it goes.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:The eagles will be back to challenge the NKY schools soon.

Not much sooner than eleven + months or so. And next year is a travel year.

tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I for one still don't belie Cov Cath is that much better than them. You see that with undefeated teams a lot they play so well for so long that when the playoffs come around is when they play that off game. That program will be just fine.

I think you're wrong, and I think the final scoreboard from the last two seasons thinks so as well. I think you're right about them being fine, but fine hasn't gotten them much to this point, even though the bulk of the games have been on their home field. Look on the bright side. The next realignment might have Highlands dropping to 3A. Problem is, CovCath probably isn't going anywhere.:trolldad2:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Kayaker Wrote:I thought this was a game thread. After reading the last 4 pages, it seems more like another episode of As The World Turns.

Never the less, I want to congratulate Cov Cath on flat out being the better team. If this game was played 10 times, I think you would win 10 times. A healthy Cov Cath team is a very good team. I think I and most of the JC faithful lost sight of that. Your 2 losses, highlands and Moller would be losses too just about any team in the state. The return of Bir in the backfield was huge for the colonels. This may be the best I have seen there run game since the 06 semifinal game at JC. Just a huge offensive line that blocks til the whistle blows.

JC on the other hand has nothing to be ashamed of. You all played a good game just ran into a better team. It's ashame that had to happen in the 2nd round but that's the nature of this class. I think it would be fair to say Class 4A is top to bottom the most competitive class in the KHSAA. And Region 4 is the toughest of its Class. Although I look up to and respect the opinion and Knowledge of Hoot I have to disagree on a few points.

First JC needs to update its philosophies. I don't mean that u have to totally have to abandon the wishbone or belly read offense but you have to make a spread offense more of a priority. Simply because a spread offense is much harder to defend. IMO a spread offense can make average teams appear to be great teams. One on one match ups are tougher to defend and give you more chances at creating match ups than bunching everyone inside. You saw Cov Cath spread JC's defense and gash them with the draw plays all night, this is out of design. How good could Belcher and Workman be in a spread next year running draws? Just think about it.

Next we have to schedule tougher. It may not be easy but it's a must. Tougher competition shows your weaknesses before its do or die. It's gonna come with long drives and possible losses but it will make this program better. I don't think it's a coincidence that JC had there best year and team IMO the year was in 2010 when they had Boyle, Bell, Breahitt, and Belfry on the schedule. They were battle tested and had some of there weaknesses exposed.

And last developing more depth. Being able to platoon players is gonna give u an added edge. With the incoming talent through the middle school and freshman levels this has to be an emphasis. A fresh player is a better player. Having guys playing both sides of the ball has caught up to JC against upper level teams.

Still I am proud of the effort and resilience this JC team showed this season. You make me proud to be a JC alumni and fan of this program.
I totally disagree with most of what you have wrote! First of all I think JC picked the wrong time to have a bad game! They dropped easy passes, missed easy tackles and fumbled the football! I also think the coaching staff had a bad game too! Even thought JCs #1 WR was beating COV CATH's DBs deep I felt that JC should of been throwing the ball to bigger targets because Cov Cath's DBs were small. I felt like JC should of been running power sweeps to put pressure on those small DB's! I totally disagree with your statement about the wishbone. Coach Haywood of Belfry has proved that Triple Option football is still winning football! I honestly feel that JC would have won the game if they would of ran the "Option" and attacked Cov Cath on the edge. It seems to me that the JC coaching staff has over looked what its Match up advantage was in successful games against Northern Kentucky teams! That Match up advantage was BIG MEAN Fullbacks like Tanner Bratton and Blake Johnson!! This is not a knock on JC's current fullback, IMO he has done a good job but he is a Halfback playing fullback. JJ Jude was the most talked about player in JC's history but without Tanner Bratton his SR year JC failed win a district title! The fact of the matter is that here in Johnson Co we are always going to have a speed disadvantage against teams from the North so IMO the coaching staff needs to develop big TEs and BIG strong Fullbacks that can run and catch the Football. Guys that will make the D pay! I totally disagree with the "Spread" stuff. There is no way JC is going to beat those team at there own game! IMO JC needs to throw the ball more, a lot more but too players that give JC a match up advantage!
OMGosh. You folks are still on this topic? This thread is dead. Nothing else to prove or say. You all need to move on.
Well it's kinda like this smartbutt4life, you're not thinking about a few options that are available. I'll use that patented bluedaddy system here:

1) Don't open the thread.

2) Get a life.

3) Mind your own business.

:popcorn:
in the end i am sad for johnson central but it's what i expected!:flame::why:
I love Bob Seger; he's so.........subtle!

Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:I love Bob Seger; he's so.........subtle!

Confusednicker:

Gosh Granny, I was just trying to find any easy solution for smartbutt4life to enjoy the rest of whatever life he has left....Some things in life have a tendency to get complicated but this should be an easy fix for this apparent stumbling block in his life.
Bob Seger Wrote:Well it's kinda like this smartbutt4life, you're not thinking about a few options that are available. I'll use that patented bluedaddy system here:

1) Don't open the thread.

2) Get a life.

3) Mind your own business.

:popcorn:

Need the AED to recessitate JC football I see.....CLEAR.. Flat line. Sorry William, just like your beloved Eagle, your sence of humor is dead as well. No bringing it back to life. Maybe NEXT YEAR though.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Yep, that's JC in a nutshell. They might not be the CovCath of old, but they're still alive two weeks before the finals again. What is it about JC that we should be getting anxious about at this point?:biglmao:

Absolutely NOTHING.. Dead as Elvis, trying to recessitate the pulse, but flat line. Call in the morgue, plan for the funeral and buriel service. And as far as you Bob or William, Your a cool dude:Thumbs:
honestjchsfan Wrote:I totally disagree with most of what you have wrote! First of all I think JC picked the wrong time to have a bad game! They dropped easy passes, missed easy tackles and fumbled the football! I also think the coaching staff had a bad game too! Even thought JCs #1 WR was beating COV CATH's DBs deep I felt that JC should of been throwing the ball to bigger targets because Cov Cath's DBs were small. I felt like JC should of been running power sweeps to put pressure on those small DB's! I totally disagree with your statement about the wishbone. Coach Haywood of Belfry has proved that Triple Option football is still winning football! I honestly feel that JC would have won the game if they would of ran the "Option" and attacked Cov Cath on the edge. It seems to me that the JC coaching staff has over looked what its Match up advantage was in successful games against Northern Kentucky teams! That Match up advantage was BIG MEAN Fullbacks like Tanner Bratton and Blake Johnson!! This is not a knock on JC's current fullback, IMO he has done a good job but he is a Halfback playing fullback. JJ Jude was the most talked about player in JC's history but without Tanner Bratton his SR year JC failed win a district title! The fact of the matter is that here in Johnson Co we are always going to have a speed disadvantage against teams from the North so IMO the coaching staff needs to develop big TEs and BIG strong Fullbacks that can run and catch the Football. Guys that will make the D pay! I totally disagree with the "Spread" stuff. There is no way JC is going to beat those team at there own game! IMO JC needs to throw the ball more, a lot more but too players that give JC a match up advantage!

I disagree somewhat with what you say. We have plenty of kids with speed in the mountains and you can develop speed with proper conditioning. Big slow players will win games in the mountains, but will never win games down state. Speed will always win over size. Matney is a great coach and knows the game. He can only work with what he has. In the lower levels we always pick the biggest player and let him run the ball. No passing or pass defense and smaller quicker kids get left out. We have to change this and develop passing and speed at the lower levels. We need to bring in people who have played and understand the new offenses and have them coaching and teaching at these lower levels so when they get to high school they will be ready. If we cannot run and defend the spread offense we will not be sucessful.

I do agree we could have had more sucess with CCHS if we had spread them out. We had several mismatches we could have taken advantage off. The biggest problem with the belly offense is if the other team can control the line and stuff running lanes, it fails and fails badly. It is very easy to defend because all you players are bunched up in a wad. Put your best players in space and let them create mismatches. We are never gong to line up and run over these teams.
MonsterMan Wrote:I disagree somewhat with what you say. We have plenty of kids with speed in the mountains and you can develop speed with proper conditioning. Big slow players will win games in the mountains, but will never win games down state. Speed will always win over size. Matney is a great coach and knows the game. He can only work with what he has. In the lower levels we always pick the biggest player and let him run the ball. No passing or pass defense and smaller quicker kids get left out. We have to change this and develop passing and speed at the lower levels. We need to bring in people who have played and understand the new offenses and have them coaching and teaching at these lower levels so when they get to high school they will be ready. If we cannot run and defend the spread offense we will not be successful.

I do agree we could have had more success with CCHS if we had spread them out. We had several mismatches we could have taken advantage off. The biggest problem with the belly offense is if the other team can control the line and stuff running lanes, it fails and fails badly. It is very easy to defend because all you players are bunched up in a wad. Put your best players in space and let them create mismatches. We are never gong to line up and run over these teams.

Regarding the BOLDED section, while I agree with you, with all due respect, this seems like a nearly impossible task. From where do you propose these coaches be brought? I am going to assume that most youth coaches in EVERY area are products of that area. Former players usually make up the youth coaching staffs. These former players learned and grew up playing the offense and defense of the area. It would be difficult for a youth coach that knows smash mouth offense and 11 men in the box defense to teach and coach wide open techniques and visa versa.
November 18, 2013
MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK: Fell for it like a rookie
Aaron Snyder
The Independent

ASHLAND — You’d think after six years of covering Kentucky high school football, I would stop making rookie mistakes.

But even the veterans were jolted by this one.

Johnson Central had disposed of every team on its schedule by 22 or more points this season. It consistently churned out two or three 100-yard rushers behind a dominant offensive line, threw in a few nice pass plays here and there and presented a rock-solid case on defense. The Golden Eagles appeared untameable.

But, like a Bluegrass broken record, another mighty foe from the Greater Cincinnati area prevailed in an all-too-familiar tune for teams in this part of the state.

Covington Catholic didn’t just beat Johnson Central, the Colonels clobbered the Golden Eagles, setting up a CovCath-Highlands rematch. Here’s what’s amazing: Highlands drilled CovCath, 42-6, earlier this season.

I look like a fool for thinking Highlands could be taken down by anyone, not just Johnson Central. CovCath prevented the matchup from even happening, squashing the notion with a loud stomp.

The Bluebirds — who still need to come up with a more intimidating mascot — blitzed Ashland, 56-6, to end the Tomcats’ season.

Highlands is basically like Alabama. Throughout the entire season, fans, sports writers, TV analysts and opposing players gradually grow to think that a team from another conference can outduel the SEC’s best come bowl time. Then, the Tide deliver the truth and it hits everyone like a ton of bricks.

So, I admit it. I was blinded by the light (revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night; Manfred Mann, 1976).

Here’s my new prediction: Highlands will roll to its seventh straight state championship.

According to MaxPreps, such a streak would be the longest ever in American high school football.

As far as Ashland and Johnson Central go, Friday night should not define their 2013 seasons.

The Tomcats accomplished much more than many thought they would with almost a whole new slate of starters and a slew of injuries under first-year coach Tony Love.

Love summed it up well on Friday. “Sometimes that last loss clouds what your team has achieved, and these guys have achieved a lot,” he said of his 8-4 Tomcats.

Johnson Central still has a lot returning next season from an

11-1 squad.

http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...e-a-rookie
MonsterMan Wrote:I disagree somewhat with what you say. We have plenty of kids with speed in the mountains and you can develop speed with proper conditioning. Big slow players will win games in the mountains, but will never win games down state. Speed will always win over size. Matney is a great coach and knows the game. He can only work with what he has. In the lower levels we always pick the biggest player and let him run the ball. No passing or pass defense and smaller quicker kids get left out. We have to change this and develop passing and speed at the lower levels. We need to bring in people who have played and understand the new offenses and have them coaching and teaching at these lower levels so when they get to high school they will be ready. If we cannot run and defend the spread offense we will not be sucessful.

I do agree we could have had more sucess with CCHS if we had spread them out. We had several mismatches we could have taken advantage off. The biggest problem with the belly offense is if the other team can control the line and stuff running lanes, it fails and fails badly. It is very easy to defend because all you players are bunched up in a wad. Put your best players in space and let them create mismatches. We are never gong to line up and run over these teams.

I disagree. If speed is going to beat slow kids all the time, then it comes down to who is faster. Who do you think will be faster? Johnson Central or Covington Catholic/Highlands... Belfry or Louisville Central? If you can keep the ball away from them, and pound the rock with patience and be content with moving the chains, mix in a pass when needed, and just be better than the guy in front of you you can win no matter what scheme. If the problem with the belly is that they're controlling the line, then they're better than you. You have to block in the spread schemes too. Out athleting city schools really doesn't seem like the way to go. Plus, in today's football if you run that spread crap you're just another of 12 schools on the schedule running it. I bet there's 30 coaching clinics in this state per year on defending the spread. These days, you may see one team running a bone set a year. No clinics on it either. Scheme doesn't matter, play calling and execution do. If JC lost Friday because running lanes were stuffed, their line wasn't getting a push. They either weren't executing, or the other team was better.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I disagree. If speed is going to beat slow kids all the time, then it comes down to who is faster. Who do you think will be faster? Johnson Central or Covington Catholic/Highlands... Belfry or Louisville Central? If you can keep the ball away from them, and pound the rock with patience and be content with moving the chains, mix in a pass when needed, and just be better than the guy in front of you you can win no matter what scheme. If the problem with the belly is that they're controlling the line, then they're better than you. You have to block in the spread schemes too. Out athleting city schools really doesn't seem like the way to go. Plus, in today's football if you run that spread crap you're just another of 12 schools on the schedule running it. I bet there's 30 coaching clinics in this state per year on defending the spread. These days, you may see one team running a bone set a year. No clinics on it either. Scheme doesn't matter, play calling and execution do. If JC lost Friday because running lanes were stuffed, their line wasn't getting a push. They either weren't executing, or the other team was better.

Or the coaching was better!
Bottom line cov cath whoop us ,
Belcher had a pulled ham string but nobody crying cov cath just she'll shocked us what can u say they made the plays we didn't , next year workmen will play out the spread , will be ok hats of jc stilled had a good year ,
Belfry0304 Wrote:I disagree. If speed is going to beat slow kids all the time, then it comes down to who is faster. Who do you think will be faster? Johnson Central or Covington Catholic/Highlands... Belfry or Louisville Central? If you can keep the ball away from them, and pound the rock with patience and be content with moving the chains, mix in a pass when needed, and just be better than the guy in front of you you can win no matter what scheme. If the problem with the belly is that they're controlling the line, then they're better than you. You have to block in the spread schemes too. Out athleting city schools really doesn't seem like the way to go. Plus, in today's football if you run that spread crap you're just another of 12 schools on the schedule running it. I bet there's 30 coaching clinics in this state per year on defending the spread. These days, you may see one team running a bone set a year. No clinics on it either. Scheme doesn't matter, play calling and execution do. If JC lost Friday because running lanes were stuffed, their line wasn't getting a push. They either weren't executing, or the other team was better.

Combine one turnover with one 3 and out and you can be two td's down with no way to catch up against a team that can score running 2 or 3 plays.

If the smash mouth region teams face 12 spread teams in a decade, I would be surprised.

Also, it is much easier for a spread team prep for an up the gut team than the other way around.
To answer a few questions here, we do have graduates who have played small college ball and have learned the more modern offenses. We have to get those people involved at the lower levels.

In the upper divisions of Ky football, say 4 and up, you are not gong to line up and run over teams. Ground and pound has not won many State Titles in the last few years. It takes more than execution to win at this level, your technique has to be sound and you have to identify your opponents weakness and exploit it, even if it is different for what you normally do. When a quality team puts more linemen in the box than you can block you have to put the ball in the air.

I am not sure what is the hangup with the spread offenses with mountain fans. I played ground and pound football and love it, but it is time to move on or get left behind. I agree with what Matney has coming back next year and with Workman you will see alot of spread offense.
JC fans should extend their season and come up to Fort Thomas to watch the best football in 4A friday night. You see, city slickers not only know how to hunt, but they also can play some foooootball.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:JC fans should extend their season and come up to Fort Thomas to watch the best football in 4A friday night. You see, city slickers not only know how to hunt, but they also can play some foooootball.

But then again that has never directly pertained to you personally , be it,past , present, or in the future....correct?:popcorn:
FBfan4life Wrote:Need the AED to recessitate JC football I see.....CLEAR.. Flat line. Sorry William, just like your beloved Eagle, your sence of humor is dead as well. No bringing it back to life. Maybe NEXT YEAR though.

Twas no humor intended, smartbutt4life.
Bob Seger Wrote:But then again that has never directly pertained to you personally , be it,past , present, or in the future....correct?:popcorn:

I was, and still am, an athlete that was good at everything. Anytime you want to challenge me at anything, bring it. I'll win. What were you good at, Seger? Wait, don't answer that....:biglmao: It had to be something with your mouth, right?
Speaking of :popcorn:...

Think you all can keep this going until next years CCH-JC game? Confusedinglepar, It's only 52 weeks away Confusednicker:. I believe in all of you. It can be a BGR Real World slice of 4A football.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
The problem I see is that the focus in these threads always focuses on the offense. Rarely is defense ever mentioned. If your D is good enough you can win against anyone. When JC has come closest to beating HHS they have held them relatively in check offensively as related to points scored. The one year they should have at least tied them it was 21-14...Defense can make up for a lot of offensive shortcomings. When JC played Belfry it was obvious they were a better team overall and could impose their will on the offensive side of the ball...but I was thinking that defensively they were not very stout against the run...Belfry totaled 350 yards overall in basically 3 quarters. Belfry had 2 turnovers and punted twice and had the last drive of the game with the JV and still had a lot of production. Central(Louisville)has proven many times that you can win state championships and play with the best if you have a great D.
[quote=whackem'n'stackem']I was, and still am, an athlete that was good at everything. Anytime you want to challenge me at anything, bring it. I'll win. What were you good at, Seger? Wait, don't answer that....:biglmao: It had to be something with your mouth, right?[/QUOTE

Well now, that's not exactly what the "true" native Bluebird sons up there tell me wacky!!!!:biggrin: Just exactly how many games did you play wearing the old Bluebird blue and white anyways?:popcorn:

You sure you're not just trying to bask in the glory of what the others have acheived? From private conversations they don't seem to be so thrilled of you trying to become a "Brought On" addition to the family tree!!:Clap:
Spirit100 Wrote:Speaking of :popcorn:...

Think you all can keep this going until next years CCH-JC game? Confusedinglepar, It's only 52 weeks away Confusednicker:. I believe in all of you. It can be a BGR Real World slice of 4A football.

Not as far away as what you may think...It's now only 51 1/2 weeks and counting!!
Bob Seger Wrote:Not as far away as what you may think...It's now only 51 1/2 weeks and counting!!

You guys opening up next year with the Hoosier Home schoolers or are you going Canadian? :eyeroll:
^^^Well from what I have been hearing, that with some of the younger kids coming into starting positions next year, they want to start out relatively weak and then each week increase the level of competition...Don't hold me to it, (because this is all just scuttlebutt info) that based on that theory, they are saying that Simon Kenton (since they never win anything) is more than likely the target as being an easy season opener..:popcorn:
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next