Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Lexington Catholic
75.76%
Russell Co.
24.24%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Catholic @ Russell County 11/15
Best team Russell County played all year, Russell County has had trouble advancing past this round of the playoffs, This will be no different Lex Catholic 37 Russell County 19
BoyleCounty Wrote:We all know not to talk "bad" about the Lakers. The torches and pitchforks come out! Confusednicker:

Stuff like this gets on my nerves. Some posters on this site like drama more than 7th grade girls! Show me that pitchfork mentality from any of our regular posters on the site. What we "all know" is that if you say anything good about a team other than the traditional powers of 4A you are quickly reminded how foolish your are to think that you have a chance against such powerhouses.

Funny how you have spent a lot of time on this thread. Why don't you focus on beating Mercer? As for the country folks down here in Russell County we will all gather on Friday to cheer on our underdog, overmatched Lakers! If by chance we can pull off the HUGE upset and you take care of Mercer again, then we will all load up our pickup trucks and hay wagons and make our way to titletown the next week! Don't worry, we will leave our pitchforks at home!
No one takes the Lakers seriously because of the very weak schedule they play year in and year out. I see it biting them again this week. However, I'm pulling for the Lakers.
Seen both play, I Think Lex Cath should win, but if lex cath has another half like they had against Rockcastle last week, Russell will win.
PreacherVol71 Wrote:Our strength of schedule has been weak there is no denying that. But let me tell you a few things about the Lakers that I believe are strong:
1.[COLOR="Blue"] Our Defense
2. Our Running Game [/COLOR]
3. Our Desire to go farther than any other RCHS team ever has.
4. Our Desire to prove that we can not only play with but beat the big boys in 4A.
5. [COLOR="blue"]The Character and Heart and Passion for the Game [/COLOR]of A great group of
seniors who have brought pride to every Laker fan!
6. The belief of fifty something MIGHTY Lakers, our coaching staff, the parents,
and fans that we can and will win this game.

Now I respect the fine young men and coaching staff of Lexington Catholic. They have a great team. However, as our cheerleaders say toward the end of every game...."I believe that we will win". Go ahead and call me a homer, tell me about history and tradition, quote stats and tell me how unprepared we are. But I choose to believe! Go Lakers!!

ANCHOR DOWN

I guess they are the only team left in the playoffs with the above highlighted.
Lakers are the underdog vs Lexington Catholic and should we have a nice game and come away with the win then Boyle once again this year will be favored against us by a good margin. But the lakers have enough to upset either Lexington Catholic or Boyle or both because the gap this year is not as wide. No disrespect to either team but we are nipping at your tails. :redboxer:
Maybe a stronger schedule would have served us better but I don't buy that all the way. Stronger schedule, I believe, means more injuries and some teams are not blessed with a lot of athleticism especially in their reserves.
willseeuntheHOUSE Wrote:Maybe a stronger schedule would have served us better but I don't buy that all the way. Stronger schedule, I believe, means more injuries and some teams are not blessed with a lot of athleticism especially in their reserves.

A weak schedule also means that you're not used to getting hit in the mouth and having to respond or you're not used to having your backs against the wall in tight game situations. That means everything in the playoffs and in my opinion, it's why the Lakers never make it out of the first couple of rounds.
So all one has to do is play a tougher schedule to be successful in the playoffs?? Mercer, Marion and Taylor play tougher schedules for the mere fact that they are in your district. With no disrespect to them where has it gotten them. Boyle beat Highlands twice in 2003, but besides those years the results have not been too good. Someone needs to inform all the other coaches this magic key to winning in the playoffs so we all can challenge Highlands.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Seen both play, I Think Lex Cath should win, but if lex cath has another half like they had against Rockcastle last week, Russell will win.

Very good point ROCK. Did not see the game cause I was watching a game down the street. I was listening to the game though through our Catholic station. Lex Cath came out flat all the way till 3rd qtr.
Though LexCath has played a much tougher schedule, but the Lakers present a challenge not seen yet this year - a offense with a lot of different formations. And when they pass they go to a lot of different receivers. The Laker defense seems to be anchored by an excellent LB (#34, Mason Short).

No one is taking this game for granted at all. The Knights will have to make in-game adjustments on both sides of the ball to deal with this talented team Friday night.
willseeuntheHOUSE Wrote:So all one has to do is play a tougher schedule to be successful in the playoffs?? Mercer, Marion and Taylor play tougher schedules for the mere fact that they are in your district. With no disrespect to them where has it gotten them. Boyle beat Highlands twice in 2003, but besides those years the results have not been too good. Someone needs to inform all the other coaches this magic key to winning in the playoffs so we all can challenge Highlands.

Oh you've got to have some talent and coaching as well. But a schedule that prepares you for the teams you'll see in the playoffs is a good part of the equation. It's easy to get on here and claim that your defense and offensive line have improved since last year. Anyone could look good beating up on 10 opponents who finished a combined 32-77 on the year. The one time that they played a team with a strong offensive and defensive line and a balanced offense they were spanked 49-21--and they scored their last touchdown on the Pulaski reserves. The Lakers struggled with turnovers that game...I wonder why? Do you think it might have something to do with Taylor County, Campbellsville and Casey County not preparing them for the speed, strength and physicality that they faced from the Maroons? I'd say it did.

There's absolutely nothing that the Lakers can throw at the Knights on Friday that their schedule hasn't prepared them for. Russell County certainly won't be bigger, faster, stronger, more physical or better coached than Bowling Green, St. Xavier, Bryan Station or Boyle County. Meanwhile it has been 9 weeks since the Lakers have seen a team even approaching Catholic.

You have to have a schedule that prepares you for the playoffs to succeed in the playoffs. Name the last state champion in any class that played a schedule like the Lakers have this season. You won't find one. Besides, not every team can win a state championship--just getting out of the second round and maybe winning a regional title would have to be considered a success when you have never done it before. Honestly, I'm rooting for the Lakers on Friday. I don't care too much for private schools. However, I think the lack of competition on their schedule will go a long way into deciding this game. By the time the Lakers adjust to the speed of playing a real team they could find themselves down 2-3 scores.
Walt Longmire Wrote:Oh you've got to have some talent and coaching as well. But a schedule that prepares you for the teams you'll see in the playoffs is a good part of the equation as well. It's easy to get on here and claim that your defense and offensive line have improved since last year. Anyone could look good beating up on 10 opponents who finished a combined 32-77 on the year. The one time that they played a team with a strong offensive and defensive line and a balanced offense they were spanked 49-21--and they scored their last touchdown on the Pulaski reserves. The Lakers struggled with turnovers that game...I wonder why? Do you think it might have something to do with Taylor County, Campbellsville and Casey County not preparing them for the speed, strength and physicality that they faced from the Maroons? I'd say it did.

There's absolutely nothing that the Lakers can throw at the Knights on Friday that their schedule hasn't prepared them for. Russell County certainly won't be bigger, faster, stronger, more physical or better coached than Bowling Green, St. Xavier, Bryan Station or Boyle County. Meanwhile it has been 9 weeks since the Lakers have seen a team even approaching Catholic.

You have to have a schedule that prepares you for the playoffs to succeed in the playoffs. Name the last state champion in any class that played a schedule like the Lakers have this season. You won't find one. Besides, not every team can win a state championship--just getting out of the second round and maybe winning a regional title would have to be considered a success when you have never done it before. Honestly, I'm rooting for the Lakers on Friday. I don't care too much for private schools. However, I think the lack of competition on their schedule will go a long way into deciding this game. By the time the Lakers adjust to the speed of playing a real team they could find themselves down 2-3 scores.

Dang Walt!!! You went to the EXTREME on your explanation. Well played my man, well played!:notworthy:notworthy
willseeuntheHOUSE Wrote:So all one has to do is play a tougher schedule to be successful in the playoffs?? Mercer, Marion and Taylor play tougher schedules for the mere fact that they are in your district. With no disrespect to them where has it gotten them. Boyle beat Highlands twice in 2003, but besides those years the results have not been too good. Someone needs to inform all the other coaches this magic key to winning in the playoffs so we all can challenge Highlands.

Don't confuse me with Boyle County fans. I'm an outsider looking in and I've already stated that I'm pulling for the Lakers this Friday. I hope you win the state championship, but it won't happen and one of the reasons why is because of the weakness of the schedule. It's not hard to stop two players when you play good teams. The deeper you go, the more visible it will be.
I really believe that Catholic will win this game and I look forward to the Boyle vs Lexington Catholic rematch game in Danville. I don't have a dog in this fight but I look forward to this great match up!

Catholic 42
Russell 28
I am highly entertained at all this talk about strength of scheduled. Lets look at the facts. Yes, Russell County has played a week scheduled this year. Their scheduled will always be week compared to some of the 4A power houses in larger counties and cities. Lets look at the two teams they played with winning records. They did lose to a very talented Pulaski County team that has a good chance in winning the 5A State Championship. They punched Knox Central in the mouth. All other teams never had a chance. They held their opponents to and average of 10 points a game. The only reason it is that high is most of the points were scored on second and third stringers.

Lets take a look at Lexington Catholic. Upfront I will say that I have not seen them play in person, just like I am sure most of you have not seen Russell County. Lexington Catholic has played 4 teams with winning records (Bowling Green, a down Saint X Team, Boyle County and Mercer County). They only won one of these games, Mercer County. In these four games they gave up 102 points. As for the rest of the games against teams with loosing scheduled LC gave up 110 points.

With that being said, who is to say RC would have faired any better or worse then LC should they had played this schedule.

As for Boyle County, no one can knock their schedule. They play a tough schedule year in and year out. They are one of the power houses of 4A. My only advice to them is they might wanted to be a little concerned with Mercer County. This is a team they only beat 14-0.

The best part about all of this Internet chatter is it does not amount to anything. All of use 30, 40, and 50 year old use to be's can rattle our cages and it accomplishes nothing. The players from each team will be hitting the field on Friday night and laying all out on the line to defeat the other. Best of luck to both teams. I'm hoping for a good game. I am pulling for RC and I feel they are a team to be reckoned with, no matter their strength of schedule.
Big Brown Wrote:I am highly entertained at all this talk about strength of scheduled. Lets look at the facts. Yes, Russell County has played a week scheduled this year. Their scheduled will always be week compared to some of the 4A power houses in larger counties and cities. Lets look at the two teams they played with winning records. They did lose to a very talented Pulaski County team that has a good chance in winning the 5A State Championship. They punched Knox Central in the mouth. All other teams never had a chance. They held their opponents to and average of 10 points a game. The only reason it is that high is most of the points were scored on second and third stringers.

Lets take a look at Lexington Catholic. Upfront I will say that I have not seen them play in person, just like I am sure most of you have not seen Russell County. Lexington Catholic has played 4 teams with winning records (Bowling Green, a down Saint X Team, Boyle County and Mercer County). They only won one of these games, Mercer County. In these four games they gave up 102 points. As for the rest of the games against teams with loosing scheduled LC gave up 110 points.

With that being said, who is to say RC would have faired any better or worse then LC should they had played this schedule.

As for Boyle County, no one can knock their schedule. They play a tough schedule year in and year out. They are one of the power houses of 4A. My only advice to them is they might wanted to be a little concerned with Mercer County. This is a team they only beat 14-0.

The best part about all of this Internet chatter is it does not amount to anything. All of use 30, 40, and 50 year old use to be's can rattle our cages and it accomplishes nothing. The players from each team will be hitting the field on Friday night and laying all out on the line to defeat the other. Best of luck to both teams. I'm hoping for a good game. I am pulling for RC and I feel they are a team to be reckoned with, no matter their strength of schedule.

A down Saint X team? What? Lex Cath lost to these team, They give you that.... But they also put up 21 points vs BG's first defense. Put up 28 points vs Saint X first defense and lost to Boyle Co 28-19 (?).. Can you honestly say that Russell Co. put up points like these vs those teams? Nah I don't think so. No dog on this fight, just a realist and a football fan 4 life.
Big Brown Wrote:I am highly entertained at all this talk about strength of scheduled. Lets look at the facts. Yes, Russell County has played a week scheduled this year. Their scheduled will always be week compared to some of the 4A power houses in larger counties and cities. Lets look at the two teams they played with winning records. They did lose to a very talented Pulaski County team that has a good chance in winning the 5A State Championship. They punched Knox Central in the mouth. All other teams never had a chance. They held their opponents to and average of 10 points a game. The only reason it is that high is most of the points were scored on second and third stringers.

The best team RC played threw down 49 points on the starters. That's what happens when you play a bunch of bad teams and then think you're on the same level as the elite teams just because you go into a game undefeated. Some Laker fans seem to be blind to the fact that scheduling makes a difference in playoff success. If you want it to go unnoticed, your legacy as a playoff contender will as well.
ST. X is down. Since I live here and have seen them play many times over the year, they are not the team of past years. As for RC being able to put those points up against those teams, I don't know. Maybe or maybe not! I too am being realistic and have been a football fan 4 life. I hope LC and Boyle are looking past the Lakers! If they are they will be in for a shock. This team will not be knocked around or intimidated by any team. I'm sure they could care less who they have played. Win or lose, who ever plays TC this year will know they have been in a fight.
Big Brown Wrote:ST. X is down. Since I live here and have seen them play many times over the year, they are not the team of past years. As for RC being able to put those points up against those teams, I don't know. Maybe or maybe not! I too am being realistic and have been a football fan 4 life. I hope LC and Boyle are looking past the Lakers! If they are they will be in for a shock. This team will not be knocked around or intimidated by any team. I'm sure they could care less who they have played. Win or lose, who ever plays TC this year will know they have been in a fight.

I heard this same mindset from the Lakers going into the Pulaski game. I have no faith in the Lakers against a good team. However, I'll say one more time that I hope the Lakers bring home the win. I hope they find a way against Catholic.
Wildcat18 Wrote:I heard this same mindset from the Lakers going into the Pulaski game. I have no faith in the Lakers against a good team. However, I'll say one more time that I hope the Lakers bring home the win. I hope they find a way against Catholic.

We heard the same thing last year and look who was right and who was wrong.
sstack Wrote:We heard the same thing last year and look who was right and who was wrong.

You didn't hear me say anything last year. The players for Pulaski were mostly freshmen last year and to be honest, I didn't really expect them to peak as sophomores this year but they're sitting at 11-0 right now. At the end of last year, PC still made it farther in the 5A playoffs than RC did in 4A so that argument has nothing to back it up. The schedule bit you last year and it will bite you this year as well, but I hope I'm wrong.
I have been one of the Laker fans who talked about SOS from game one. I knew there were only two challenges on the schedule. The loss to PC would have been a loss for every other team in 4A not named Highlands.....they're that good, but the Lakers played with them for 3 out of 4 quarters.

I'll agree that the Lakers didn't have the ideal schedule, but it's pretty hard to get the good teams to play you when your not a perennial 4A power.

It boils down to this, the Lakers have been a top 10 team for the past three seasons. We are making strides with a less than stellar feeder program. And while we may not have earned everyone's respect as a contender in one of the toughest regions in 4A, we have earned the respect of many. All that can be done is strap on the cleats and play the game. Who knows, maybe after Friday there will be a few more who respect what these boys have done over the past few seasons.
Big Brown Wrote:Lets look at the facts. They did lose to a very talented Pulaski County team that has a good chance in winning the 5A State Championship.

What do you call a good chance? 1 in ?

Really?!
Russell County with any breaks could have won last year against Boyle. This is not a given that Catholic comes out with a win. The laker D last year surprised me and if Catholic's O struggles just a little, I can see them going down Friday night. I expect the Knights to win the game but would not be surprised if the Lakers are the team playing for the Regional Title.
Rebel55 Wrote:Russell County with any breaks could have won last year against Boyle. This is not a given that Catholic comes out with a win. The laker D last year surprised me and if Catholic's O struggles just a little, I can see them going down Friday night. I expect the Knights to win the game but would not be surprised if the Lakers are the team playing for the Regional Title.

I would like to see RC win, always want your team to win, but always nice to see new blood as long as it is not against your team.
Lex Cath 35 RC 21.
Wildcat18 Wrote:You didn't hear me say anything last year. The players for Pulaski were mostly freshmen last year and to be honest, I didn't really expect them to peak as sophomores this year but they're sitting at 11-0 right now. At the end of last year, PC still made it farther in the 5A playoffs than RC did in 4A so that argument has nothing to back it up. The schedule bit you last year and it will bite you this year as well, but I hope I'm wrong.

Please man!! Do not confuse sstack as a laker fan . He is not! That is part of the problem with people who think laker fans say more than what we really do. People acting like they are fans for a team and are not.
willseeuntheHOUSE Wrote:Please man!! Do not confuse sstack as a laker fan . He is not! That is part of the problem with people who think laker fans say more than what we really do. People acting like they are fans for a team and are not.

If I have a single favorite team in 4A right now, it's RC. I'm a fan of football, local football mostly. I follow Russell, Southwestern, Pulaski, Somerset, and have even jumped on the Wayne County bandwagon here lately because of some friends from work. LOL.