Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campbell Co 16 - Dixie Heights 13 Final
Huge victory for Campbell
I heard the house was packed tonight.
Great game to be photographer! Campbell's Defense was solid tonight.
Thought Dixie would win this one. Congrats to Campbell County.
TNT-MB1 Wrote:I heard the house was packed tonight.

Not nearly as packed as last week.
hop24 Wrote:Not nearly as packed as last week.

We'll SK does bring about 75% of there fans to away games lol
First off, congrats to the Camels on a big district win! A good defensive battle.

I'm amazed Dixie didn't throw the ball atleast 25-30 times tonight after the success SK had with it last week. Campbell County simply beat Dixie at their own game, ground and pound with some throws intermingled to keep the d off balance.

A 45 yd FG determined the outcome and the Camels are in the catbird seat. I really enjoyed Avery Woods tenacity. BTW no turnovers tonight. A lot of undisciplined mistakes by players and coaches: false starts, delay of games, and a 15 yard sideline penalty with less than 2 mins left in the game on Dixies HC. Pass plays by Camels with less than 1:30 left when all they needed to do was run the ball. They stopped the clock twice for Dixie Confusednicker:.

Camels got it done!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
It was extremely enjoyable hanging out with my two BGR buddies tonight. You guys are class gentlemen and it was great to get to know you!
TNT-MB1 Wrote:We'll SK does bring about 75% of there fans to away games lol

We do have a great following. It was Homecoming for the Camels that evening.
Big win for CC! Wow.
BGR might of formed a competitive Alliance in NKY 6a from what I heard :Clap:
Will be good for "ganging up" on southern competitors come playoff time :redboxer:Confusedhh:
Senior Campbell County place-kicker Stewart Knaley had never made a field goal longer than 42 yards.

So, he was delighted to be able to add three yards and a cloud of magic dust for a 45-yard gem late in the first half Friday night.

It gave the Camels a three-point lead (and the first points in the game) in what would be the eventual winning margin -- 16-13 over Dixie Heights in a classic, smash-mouth, Class 6A, District 6 game.

Dixie was denied a sixth straight victory after a season-opening loss to Covington Catholic. The low score spoke well of the Camels’ defense; in the five-game winning streak, Dixie had averaged 39.4 points and 450 yards of offense.

‘‘I felt like it was going to be a close game and that the (three points) were really going to matter,’’ Knaley said. ‘‘I knew I had a good line, that the hold was going to be perfect, and everything turned out solid.’’

The only person in the stadium who appeared more excited, judging by the inflection in his voice, was the public address announcer.

‘‘It’s good!’’ he exclaimed, as the big crowd at Campell County High’s sparkling new facility roared its delight.

There was only a minute left in the half when the Knaley’s bomb found the bull’s-eye, but amazingly it still left time for two more scores, both touchdowns.

The first was a beautifully thrown 32-yarder from Camels’ senior quarterback Avery Wood to another senior, wide receiver Jake Zabonick.

‘‘Simple fade route,’’ Wood said. ‘‘I had all day back there.’’

‘‘I knew I could beat the corner, saw it inside…. and knew it was going to be a big play,’’ said Zabonick, who had a 95-yard reception for a TD in last year’s victory over Dixie Heights.

And the attempted point-after by Knaley? Missed wide right – from 20 yards, making the 45-yard field only seconds earlier just all the more spectacular.

Asked about the miss, Knaley just grinned and shook his head. He couldn’t believe it either – not right after the 45-yarder.

Then, on the very next play from scrimmage, Dixie Heights quarterback Drew Moore scampered down the left sideline for most of his long run, cutting to the right at the Campbell 20-yard line and then diagonal’ing his way into the right corner of the end zone – a 74-yard-run.

The halftime score was 9-6 in favor of the Camels.

Dixie took the ball all the way down the field to start the second half, but Moore’s scramble into the end zone was called back for holding, and then his on-the-money pass into the right corner off a deep scramble was dropped in traffic.

Even though Dixie came away empty, it was a statement-drive. The Colonels would be bringing it the entire second half.

Sure enough. The next time the Colonels got the ball, they went on another long drive and Moore smashed in from the 3-yard line to make it 13-9 Dixie with two minutes to go in the third quarter.

Befitting the quick-strike nature of the Camels on this night, however, they shot back in front on a 45-yard punt return by junior Eli Mathews for a touchdown to take the lead 16-13 with 5:43 to play.

‘‘I was just trying to make a play to get us into field-goal range if not a touchdown,’’ said Mathews, of his career best punt return for a TD. ‘‘Sure enough, my guys gave me all the blocking I needed.’’

The Colonels drove the field again, and were close to going in when they got hit by a couple penalties and then a Dustin Turner sack of Moore off a scramble.

It was a huge play in a night full of them.

‘‘We knew (Moore) was going to break one on us and he did, in the first half,’’ Turner said. ‘‘He’s that good. He’s shifty and he’s fast and I had to make sure I had contain on him (for the big sack).’’

Dixie’s attempted 30-yard field goal was wide left, leaving Campbell with a chance to run out the clock with a couple minutes to go, but finally settling for a quick kick that buried Dixie on its own 7-yard line with a minute to go.

Even for Dixie’s Moore, 93 yards in 60 ticks was too much.

‘‘I give it up to our defense,’’ Campbell QB Wood said. ‘‘This was all about the D.’’

Well, maybe.

But Campbell’s quick-strike offense was pretty impressive, too.
Spirit100 Wrote:First off, congrats to the Camels on a big district win! A good defensive battle.

I'm amazed Dixie didn't throw the ball atleast 25-30 times tonight after the success SK had with it last week. Campbell County simply beat Dixie at their own game, ground and pound with some throws intermingled to keep the d off balance.

A 45 yd FG determined the outcome and the Camels are in the catbird seat. I really enjoyed Avery Woods tenacity. BTW no turnovers tonight. A lot of undisciplined mistakes by players and coaches: false starts, delay of games, and a 15 yard sideline penalty with less than 2 mins left in the game on Dixies HC. Pass plays by Camels with less than 1:30 left when all they needed to do was run the ball. They stopped the clock twice for Dixie Confusednicker:.

Camels got it done!!!

Very bad play calling by the coaching staff. CC had 8 on 9 men in the box all night. Dixie just kept running?? Also a delay of game on a big 3rd and 4. Thats on the coaching staff. Not knowning the play clock at that point is uncalled for! Also the call to kick a feild goal when your starting kicker is out for the game?? Same type things happened in the CCH game. Its almost like the head coach didnt know Dixie wasn't able to run. The good new is Dixie's D only gave up 9 points! The D looked great.
Also want to say congrats to CC. Well played game on thier part. Coaching was spot on. Thats how you beat Dixie. Make them pass. Well coached team.
Stardust Wrote:It was extremely enjoyable hanging out with my two BGR buddies tonight. You guys are class gentlemen and it was great to get to know you!

You are easy to impress, aren't you???
Wink

TNT-MB1 Wrote:BGR might of formed a competitive Alliance in NKY 6a from what I heard :Clap:
Will be good for "ganging up" on southern competitors come playoff time :redboxer:Confusedhh:

Oh yeah??? Well, we all pack heat!
(j/k)
Smile
Nice win!
Granny Bear Wrote:You are easy to impress, aren't you???
Wink

Oh yeah??? Well, we all pack heat!
(j/k)
Smile

Granny Bear you are exempt. This whole site is responsible to gang up on anyone that gangs up on you.:rockon:
I'll accept that sweetie!!!

Wink