Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark vs Belfry Alumni Game
Its going down tomorrow night at The Rock in Inez!! Sheldon Clark High School Alumni Team vs Belfry High School Alumni Team! One last chance for these guys to strap on the pads and play their hearts out! Players from all different generations on the same team, young and old both will be throwing down in an epic battle tomorrow night. Shawn Hager and the Sheldon Clark Cardinals will be hosting the Pirates. Gates open at 6:00 and kickoff is at 7:00but you better get there early because it is going to be packed! If you are a fan of football and live in eastern kentucky there is no reason you shouldn't be at the game to watch some of Sheldon Clark's and Belfry's greatest players get together for a game that is going to be talked about for ages. Roster are:

Sheldon Clark
Steve Osborne
Nathan Moore
Gary Hinkle
Josh Muncy
Ryan Smith
John Stafford
Brian Damron
Richie Wells
Jeramiah Damron
Channing Smith
Matt Slone
Austin Hall
John Kirk
Vernal Wiley
Justin Blackburn
Bill Ratliff
Grayson Smith
Danny Sparks
PJ Hall
Kendrick Damron
Cory Crum
Danny Hinkle
Jason Jewell
Thomas Crum
Eric Jewell
Greg Crum
BJ Slone
Gary Fletcher
Sonny Silva
Lonnie Fletcher
David Slone
Cody Slone
Shawn Johnson
Derrick Mollett
Ryan Kelly
Avery Ray
John Dials
Nathan Dillon

Belfry
Adam Warren
Doug Howard
Micah Caudill
Trey Willis
Jamie Staggs
Gary Runyon
Dwayne Stevens
Danny Oliver
Matt Maynard
Thomas Varney
Johnathon Duncan
Timothy Bostic
Matt Hale
Corey Charles
Howie Dotson
Shawn Scott
Steven Varney
Jon Hunt
Scotty Bell
Chad Steele
Antwian Brifford
Jonathan Bogar
Darrell Nelson
DJ Dotson
Matt Smith
Zachary Taylor
Micah Mahon
William Vance
Mitch Case
Allen Hinkle
Cory Lee
Phillip Varney
Burner Wrote:Its going down tomorrow night at The Rock in Inez!! Sheldon Clark High School Alumni Team vs Belfry High School Alumni Team! One last chance for these guys to strap on the pads and play their hearts out! Players from all different generations on the same team, young and old both will be throwing down in an epic battle tomorrow night. Shawn Hager and the Sheldon Clark Cardinals will be hosting the Pirates. Gates open at 6:00 and kickoff is at 7:00but you better get there early because it is going to be packed! If you are a fan of football and live in eastern kentucky there is no reason you shouldn't be at the game to watch some of Sheldon Clark's and Belfry's greatest players get together for a game that is going to be talked about for ages. Roster are:

Sheldon Clark
Steve Osborne
Nathan Moore
Gary Hinkle
Josh Muncy
Ryan Smith
John Stafford
Brian Damron
Richie Wells
Jeramiah Damron
Channing Smith
Matt Slone
Austin Hall
John Kirk
Vernal Wiley
Justin Blackburn
Bill Ratliff
Grayson Smith
Danny Sparks
PJ Hall
Kendrick Damron
Cory Crum
Danny Hinkle
Jason Jewell
Thomas Crum
Eric Jewell
Greg Crum
BJ Slone
Gary Fletcher
Sonny Silva
Lonnie Fletcher
David Slone
Cody Slone
Shawn Johnson
Derrick Mollett
Ryan Kelly
Avery Ray
John Dials
Nathan Dillon

Belfry
Adam Warren
Doug Howard
Micah Caudill
Trey Willis
Jamie Staggs
Gary Runyon
Dwayne Stevens
Danny Oliver
Matt Maynard
Thomas Varney
Johnathon Duncan
Timothy Bostic
Matt Hale
Corey Charles
Howie Dotson
Shawn Scott
Steven Varney
Jon Hunt
Scotty Bell
Chad Steele
Antwian Brifford
Jonathan Bogar
Darrell Nelson
DJ Dotson
Matt Smith
Zachary Taylor
Micah Mahon
William Vance
Mitch Case
Allen Hinkle
Cory Lee
Phillip Varney
When did Grayson Smith and Nathan Dillion play for Sheldon Clark?
Only 75% of the team has to be alumni. Chris Hall from gridiron alumni asked Sheldon Clark if Nate dillon could play on their team. He worked hard trying to get a JC team together but it didn't happen. Grayson is playing to honor his late brother in law Ben Delong who played for SC and graduated in 2001. I believe belfry picked up some players from other schools as well they just don't stand out as much as Grayson and Nate.
This is pretty damn cool! I'm sure this will be an absolute blast for all that will be playing in it.
I didn't know Ben Delong had passed. I really hate to hear that.
How much will it cost to attend the game?
Any radio coverage? Lol
$10 for adults and $5 for students
Not expecting a win, really just want to see some old guys go at it again. Should be a blast.

And with all due respect, the best player I can remember for SCHS will not be suiting up but watching the game from above. RIP Brad Stafford, a great man and ball player for the Cardinals.
Belfry going to run the wishbone? Warren @ QB, Caudill and Howard at RB? Willis at FB? Matt Maynard at WR?
I believe it'll be Maynard and Howard at HB, with Caudill and Varney as backups. I can name at least two guys who are in way better shape now than in their playing days but SCHS has a ton up front. Just as excited to see my buddy Avery play one more time from Inez. Of course, I love some friendly crap talking... but I love the SCHS program. Got a ton of friends who went there.

With a win tonight, SCHS will tie number of wins against us to numbers of wins we have in semi-finals ... in 10 years.
Someone should do some updates from their phone. Wink
Belfry 22-8 at the half.
There we go!
Charlie, what is the word?
Belfry wins 35-14
Thanks Charlie! If anyone was at the game and would be willing to do a writeup, that would be awesome.
Surprised at the atmosphere and intensity of the game.

Money well spent
^ Dude. Write out a breakdown. Who played well, etc.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Dude. Write out a breakdown. Who played well, etc.

Shawn Hager tried to get a win via alumni fashion...didn't happen. The end.

Matt Maynard was the best athlete on the field. Howard & Varney looked good at times too. Physical game with Belfry alums making big plays when it counted.

That's all I got. I'm not an orator.

I'm sure Belfry0304 will give you a nice rundown when he gets on here. I'm bedding down.
Thanks man. Matt was IMO one of the best athletes to walk the halls in recent years. He really blossomed after high school but his senior year was wicked. I still tell the story to anyone who will listen about him running down the Russell QB at the end of the first half in 05' to keep us in the game. I know we all like to brag on our kids, but in pads, Matt was about the fastest in a sprint I had seen - including David Jones.

Proud of all them boys from Belfry tonight. If I were a betting man, I bet Doug Howard picked up some big yards too. And as always, in EVERY year, dang good job for the men who played on the LOS.
The only real problem for Belfry was the offensive line, that's where SCHS had the most at. So, for most of the night we were in shotgun sets and just tried to "out-athlete" them. It worked. Nathan Moore for SCHS was a beast, might have been a different game if he hadn't missed alot of the 2nd and 3rd quarters after a 70 some yard TD scamper. He had both SCHS TD's. SCHS was up 8-0 and then it that quickly became 22-8 after a Matt Maynard punt return, an Antwian Brifford fumble recovery, and another TD that I'm failing to remember, I think it may have been set up by a Thomas Varney bomb to Matt Maynard. The Brifford man also had a pick and a length return. The highlight of the night for me was Doug Howard's short touchdown run on a very classic play. He didn't have a huge night, because he's a power runner and the line play just wasn't there but he had a huge (amazing) catch and every time he ran or caught the ball battled for about 5 extra yards. The last touchdown was a Thomas Varney pick six where he showed a SERIOUS burst of speed. Thomas, Maynard's punt return, Brifford, and Doug Howard accounted for 4 TD's, and I have no memory of the other. Mainly because 2 point conversion plays make it easy to mix them up. Offensive MVP was Matt Maynard, who also threw a 50+ yard TD pass to only have it called back. Defensively, Everyone for Belfry was solid. Jonathan Bogar wasn't flashy but solid, IMO the MVP and Micah Mahon was all over the SCHS QB every time he dropped back. They threw several interceptions, one to Corey Charles, one to Antwian Brifford, one to Thomas Varney, maybe more. Just for the fumble recovery TD and the pick, Brifford recieved defensive MVP which I didn't like since I don't think he was an alumni (and if he had correctly filled an alley, he would have had Nathan Moore for a gain of 3 on his first TD) Good, physical, team effort by Belfry's defense. Gary Runyon was solid on that side as well, also Scotty Bell.

The story of the night was Belfry just out athleted SCHS. A lot of notables for both schools didn't play. Belfry's starting backfield were all #3, I thought that was funny (Howard, Caudill, Willis) but eventually it was Varney and Maynard (or Willis, Howard, and even once Howie Dotson) both at quarterback at the same time with Doug and Micah at halfbacks. The two QB set really got Matt into some open space, I liked it. Belfry's line did a good job, just hard to reproduce the smash mouth days of old the way we used to. I can't help but think if David Jones had played, I think he would now having still played up until now, been a few steps faster than Matt and those two paired with Thomas would have been fun. The only thing I would have changed is having two guys who weren't alumni, because even though they both played a lot and really well Belfry would have won without them.

Regardless, now I'm REALLY excited for football season and hope they can do another alumni game soon. It was super fun. How about Ryan Chapman by himself getting the win when SCHS was coached by Hager (Should've played for us!) and a staff with numerous coaches on it. Atta boy, Rooster!
Go job Coach Chapman, IMO one of the best young coaches around.
I played in the game. Great game great time. Fun to get out there and mix it up!! Belfry did outathlete us. We knew coming in we had to try and keep them contained. Maynard for Belfry was the best athlete on the field. PERIOD. Howard played good had an awesome catch. Losing Nathan Moore really hurt SCHS. He was the one guy whocould mat h up.with Belfrys' best athletes. The SC defense was very good, they were much more physical than Belfry.

Great time, I think everyone who attended got their moneys worth.
Cardinals ride Wrote:I played in the game. Great game great time. Fun to get out there and mix it up!! Belfry did outathlete us. We knew coming in we had to try and keep them contained. Maynard for Belfry was the best athlete on the field. PERIOD. Howard played good had an awesome catch. Losing Nathan Moore really hurt SCHS. He was the one guy whocould mat h up.with Belfrys' best athletes. The SC defense was very good, they were much more physical than Belfry.

Great time, I think everyone who attended got their moneys worth.

What happened with Moore? He ran the long TD and proceeded to pace around the stadium for a quarter and a half?

Belfry's D must have been physical enough, outside to Nathan's 70 yard TD SCHS managed to muster up one drive all night. What number were you Cardinals Ride? Y'all played great in all seriousness and were a great host! Hopefully next time they pit you guys against one of your true rivals LCHS or JCHS.
Belfrys defense was fast, not physical. I wasn't trying to take anything away from Belfry. But Belfry did most of their damage on special teams and capitalizing on our offensive miscues they played a great game and deserved the W. but Belfry did not put together a bunch of long drives against our defense. Matt Maynard got loose on a pass and Howard made a catch that should be on sportscenter.

I don't think our offense could have scored against our defense at all. But these are just my opinions. Still loved playing and can't wait to get back at it.

Heard we might get a shot at Lawrence County!!
Something to keep in perspective...

Belfry's scores came on the following, a punt return for score, a fumble recovery for score, a pick six, and two short runs after two Hail Mary's on 4th and 15+ each time.

Whoever #1 was for Sheldon Clark was hitting people like they smacked his mommy. I thought he was going to hurt someone.

As for Belfry, they were what I expected. Unbelievably talented. Doug Howard was very impressive. At one time Belfry had three number 3's in the backfield in the bone. Howard was one and I think Caudill was the other. Didn't know the other but I would like to know the total number of scores that group of threes have ever scored!
Oh, to answer a earlier question Nathan Moore pulled his hamstring. He has been nursin it for a couple weeks. Just couldn't stand up to the abuse of all hat cutting and that long run shot it.
Belfry also had something like 6 fumbles. Two inside their own 20. Lost 3 that I can remember. Not being a homer, but Belfry was head and shoulders above SC. It was a great game and great atmosphere. IMO, it looked more like a college type game, judging from the size, speed and strenght of both teams. SC hung tough for first half and then the athletes from Belfry took over. Belfry's D simply wore them down, only allowing that 1 long run from memory. Moore being out of the game was big hurt for SC.
Was told one of the men from SCHS broke his hip, and Avery Ray told me he hurt his hip as well as possibly broke a rib. Prayers for those men.

Avery Ray took possibly the nastiest stiff arm I've seen since "The Stiff Arm" last night from Thomas Varney. He bent completely backwards and was injured on the play, just a sick stiff arm.