Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Roster Changes
Spring Walk-through: Football roster changes

By ben_jones

I was browsing the UK athletics site while doing some work today and noticed some differences on the football roster from the last time I checked.

There were 17 seniors on the roster this year (one walk-on redshirt junior also opted to finish his career), and all of those players are still listed on the roster. But there are some new names, and some old names are no longer there. It looks like it's walk-ons who have jumbled around a bit, which would explain why there wasn't any formal announcement.

Comparing the roster currently posted and the one we received at the beginning of the season, here are the differences I spotted:

New Names

John Ballis, TE, freshman, 6-2, 215, Houston, Texas

Tanner Blain, K, freshman, 6-2, 190, Lindenhurst, Ill.

Seth Bowden, TE, freshman, 6-5, 211, Louisville, Ky.

Rodney Cox, DB, freshman, 6-0, 175, Louisville, Ky.

Bill Davis, OL, R-freshman, 6-2, 325, Lexington, Ky.

John Giddens, DB, sophomore (transfer), 5-9, 178, Louisville, Ky.

A.J. Johnson, WR, freshman, 6-2, 185, Portland, Ore.

Jerry McCray, RB, freshman, 6-0, 192, Detroit, Mich.

Erico Smith, DB, sophomore (transfer), 5-11, 195, Fisherville, Ky.

Max Strong, K, freshman, 5-11, 180, Louisville, Ky.

Zane Williams, DT, freshman, 6-4, 280, Lexington, Ky.

Departures

Marcus Caffey, CB, R-freshman, 5-11, 192, Atlanta, Ga. (dismissed earlier this semester)

Derek Bishop, RB, R-freshman, 5-7, 192, Louisville, Ky.

Chad Merida, RB, R-freshman, 5-10, 208, Barbourville, Ky.

Jonathan Reed, DB, freshman, 5-9, 185, Indianapolis (dismissed earlier this semester)

Kirk Smith, CB, R-freshman, 5-11, 166, Mason, Ohio.

Walk-ons come and go frequently. Sometimes they decide it isn't worth the time to just practice all day, sometimes they decide to focus on their grades, or transfer home, or sometimes fresh blood is just needed for practice. The guys who aren't listed here now might end up on the team again this fall. Nothing huge here, but worth noting with spring practice around the corner.

Of note: 2 kickers were added to help practice before Austin MacGinnis arrives this summer, and 3 defensive backs were added to help bolster numbers at a thin position. That's what walk-ons are really about: helping the team practice better.

http://sports.yahoo.com/kentucky/blog/wi...ege,wp3209
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I didnt know we lost Caffey, what happened there and where did he go?

I also hate when a kid from around he is able to sign at UK and then finds he has no chance of starting like Merida. It's like there set up to fail. Kids from EKY are much better off going to Eastern or an NAIA on scholarship if they want to play football.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I didnt know we lost Caffey, what happened there and where did he go?

I also hate when a kid from around he is able to sign at UK and then finds he has no chance of starting like Merida. It's like there set up to fail. Kids from EKY are much better off going to Eastern or an NAIA on scholarship if they want to play football.

All I know is that both Marcus Caffey and Jonathan Reed were dismissed for violation of team rules. Caffey was also having academic issues as well but, that may be a separate issue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^
That blows.
I dont understand why it is so hard for some kids to stay out of trouble and play the game.
There a long way from home and its a great chance to start over.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
That blows.
I dont understand why it is so hard for some kids to stay out of trouble and play the game.
There a long way from home and its a great chance to start over.

I don't either. It's really ashame. You would think that these kids would be somewhat afraid of getting in trouble because they're obviously well known around campus and what ever they do will be in the public eye.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]