Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Waggener Open
Coach at Louisville Waggener steps down after one year. Team is 18-68 since 2005, what is the word on the streets in St. Matthews???
^^That Jefferson County and many of it's schools are a cluster F for most schools and their athletic programs.

It's the haves and the have nots up there.
I know that the smaller tier Jefferson County schools go through 4-5 year loops where they only have maybe one good set of kids and that could lead to one good season every 5 years... why can't they drop in class, I heard that they were close to shutting the school down.
^^what you just said there describes many schools across the state and their programs. A five year cycle goes like this:

Year 1: 4-6
Year 2: 5-6
Year 3: 7-4
Year 4: 10-2
Year 5: 3-8

..repeat.
How do you explain and 8 year draught?? String of bad coaching??
No. Starts way before that. Outside of a few schools, the whole Jeff Co system seems like a cluster.

Neighborhood schools would fix a whole heck of a lot IMO. It would get back the true sense of community(s) pride.
Neighborhood schools, so you really mean stop busing kids.... that would seem to be more cost effective that way, other counties make kids go to their home schools, why is Jefferson so oppositional??
That's been the million dollar question for so long.

Some Jefferson County schools actually deal with a lot of the same things that many rural/county schools deal with in the sense that they have a good population of kids (say at least 3A), but many of the kids they get are around 10 or so miles from the actual school. Obviously, that causes transportation problems for many kids/families.
I'm curious as to why busing became such a huge thing in Jefferson County. If you had students that applied to schools and were accepted they should be offered transportation but I think it is crazy to have a school full of south end/ west end kids in the middle of St. Matthews. Then you have Central which is in the westend that only accepts application students... obviously they are doing something right when selecting their students (players)
You want the PC answer or the real answer?
Real answer would be great.
doyle where are you at with this answer?
They just did it to create more diversity amongst the schools and communities. In Louisville, as you know, you have pockets where it's all white, some where there is a mix, some where it's majority African American. The schools were like this, too. So, the communities weren't very diverse (nor are they still for that matter). How do they try to fix that? Through the schools.

Before bussing, you at least had kids going to their neighborhood school, which obviously, created a since of school and community pride. Now, you have no telling how many kids that might have a high school literally across the street from them, but they go 10 miles to another school
So, is this how it will always be?, or is this just make too much sense to change it back??
heard through the grapevine that interviews were set to take place this week and next... any ideas??
Jefferson county is too segregated to stop busing , in the west end ( which is huge) only has 2 high schools.and 1 middle school but it's actually in the Portland neighborhood
heard through the grapevine that interviews were set to take place this week and next... any ideas??
i also heard that an assistant coach for PRP was offered the job and he turned it down because it was a "dead end"job
Heard theHead Baseball coach was a serious candidate for the head football coaching job
All I know is that there is no shortage of talent on their roster. They are only working with 35 or so players, but there is no shortage of skill kids on the team. They had a monster of a line this year, too.

The one thing about Waggener, and coachdad can correct me/fill in more info, but it's a Traditional high school. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I know Male, Butler, Manual, Fern Creek, etc. Some of your better high schools (both academically and athletically), have the "traditional" label.
heard that the interviews had two alumni one from 2005 and one from 1998, didn't hear about the baseball coach.... when are they going to announce???
back to the top... who did they hire???
Jason Stallard has been named head coach at Waggener. He has been an assistant at Oldham County the past 5 years.
no that is not true he didnt even talk to waggner the only school he though about going to was either back to manual or staying at prp
Jason Stallard is thrilled to get his first job as a head football coach, but he also knows he's entering a rebuilding situation.

Stallard, 32, is taking over at Waggener High, which has endured eight consecutive losing seasons and hasn't won more than two games in a season since 2006, when it finished 4-6.

"We're coming in here to change the attitude, the mind-set and the culture," Stallard said. "Our expectations are to compete for district championships, first and foremost."

Stallard replaces Daniel McDonald, who left after one season.

Stallard, a 1998 graduate of Seneca High School, played football at Georgetown College.

He was an assistant at Moore and Atherton and spent two seasons at Gulf High in New Port Richey, Fla. He spent the past five seasons as an assistant at Oldham County, where he coached defensive backs and was the co-defensive coordinator.

Stallard said he wants to improve a defense that allowed 42.9 points per game in 2012, when Waggener finished 2-9.

"We have to stop the run first, and we want to be a physical football team," Stallard said. "Defense will definitely be a focal point in the spring and the offseason. We have to get people in the right spots."

Waggener is among four schools in Jefferson County that have new football coaches for 2013, joining Butler (Gary Wheeler), Fairdale (Matt Wright) and St. Xavier (Will Wolford).

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...3303250126
Good luck
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:All I know is that there is no shortage of talent on their roster. They are only working with 35 or so players, but there is no shortage of skill kids on the team. They had a monster of a line this year, too.

The one thing about Waggener, and coachdad can correct me/fill in more info, but it's a Traditional high school. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I know Male, Butler, Manual, Fern Creek, etc. Some of your better high schools (both academically and athletically), have the "traditional" label.
Actually there are only 2 "true traditional" schools that is Male & Butler. Fern Creek & Valley use the title, but are not in the feeder system from the I think (3) traditional middle schools, they only feed Male & Butler . The "other two " schools that have open enrollment ( no district boundaries ) are Central & Manual they are the 2 "true magnet schools. Now other schools may have certain technical courses that only " they offer" in that case you can apply to those schools for those specialized courses. For example.... Iroquois has construction mgmnt. If you KNOW you want to go into construction, you can apply to go there, but it is considered a hardship transfer & the student is responsible for their own transportation . For another example Shawnee has Aviation program. Doss has cosmetology ect ect. Hope this explains all this a little better .