Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defend these arguments now! "Cal can't coach."
honestjchsfan Wrote:Starduck you have said over and over in this thread that CAL is not a good X & O coach but you can't give examples of when he has been out coached. :lame: I don't think you even watch basketball. Last season UK had the most talent in the USA but they were also the best team. They shared the ball, they were one of the best defensive teams in NCAA basketball histroy. I bet you were one of those guys that was screaming for Joe B. Hall's head after the loss in the the 1984 final four. It was not Hall's fault that UK couldn't throw one in the ocean in the 2nd half of that game. COME ON MAN! Last season @ IU the refs failed to call the foul in back court, and there shots didn't fall vs Vandy. Cal always calls timeout when he supposed too. Last season Cal was put in the brackett with UCONN and UK had to beat IU, UL and Kansas to win the title. In 2011 Cal and UK had beat UF 2 out of 3 times but UF gets a #2 seed and UK gets a #4 :ChairHit: and UK has to beat #1 overall seed Ohio ST and then a very good UNC team just to get to the final four. Look at UF's bracket that year and it was a cake walk and they still got beat in the final four. If you are going to write BS, why not become a fiction writer? Coaching is not some mystery like you claim, there is no secret play or any of that BS that wins champonship. #1 Talent #2 Share the Ball #3 Play Great D #4 Make Shots, throw in a little good luck never hurts either. Cal may be the best coach in histroy when it comes to coaching young teams. It doesn't take Gary Kasparov to coach basketball. STARDUCK go back to your IU game and your Bobby Knight KOOL-AID and finsh your knitting!:rockon: BTY Knight lost in the NCAA more time than Cal when he had the best talent, just ask Joe B Hall.

1) Title game - Memphis vs Kansas - Memphis had a nearly insurmountable lead late in the gam and Kansas started putting Memphis on the FT line, forcing Cal to win the game on the defensive side of the ball. No changes made on defense, double-digit lead is erased and Kansas wins in OT.

2) Elite 8 - UK vs WVU - Huggins goes zone all night and the wildcats continue to hoist up three after three without hitting one until garbage time. The best team in the nation loses their chance to play the eventual champions Duke in the Final Four because of Cal refusing to attack a zone.
zaga_fan Wrote:1) Title game - Memphis vs Kansas - Memphis had a nearly insurmountable lead late in the gam and Kansas started putting Memphis on the FT line, forcing Cal to win the game on the defensive side of the ball. No changes made on defense, double-digit lead is erased and Kansas wins in OT.

2) Elite 8 - UK vs WVU - Huggins goes zone all night and the wildcats continue to hoist up three after three without hitting one until garbage time. The best team in the nation loses their chance to play the eventual champions Duke in the Final Four because of Cal refusing to attack a zone.

zaga_fan I will give you credit for atleast trying. In the title game Memphis missed 4 of its last 5 free throws in regulation and thats not X's and 0's. In the game vs WVU, what you failed to point out was the fact that UK had OPEN looks from behind the 3-point line but failed to knock them down. Last season Lamb, Miller and KW were deadly shooting the 3 point shot and point guard Marcus Teague knocked down some key 3 pointers too. You guys give Bobby Knight credit for being a great X's & O's coach but in 1975 Joe B Hall clearly out coached him in the final four. Hall instructed Keivin Grevey to take the Ball right at IU star Scott May. Hall used a agressive D to force IU into 20 turnovers. Lots of you guys look back at 2010 UK team and all you remember is they had five 1st RD draft picks but now after a few years in the NBA we see that only one has been a consistent starter in the NBA that being John Wall. Cal did a excellent job handling Cousins who has proved to be a big trouble maker in the NBA. We all saw what he pulled a few days ago. How can one compare the talent between 2010 UK vs 2012 UK??? Thats a easy one,, D. Miller started for the 2010 UK team but he didn't start as SR for the 2012 team. I will also take the 2011 UK team over the 2010 bunch too. I will take TJ over Patterson, MILLER year 3 over Miller year 2, yes I give Cousins over Jorts, but I will take Lamb over Eric B in the college game. Lamb was a much more reliable shooter who turned into shutdown defender. That leaves Wall vs Knight,,,,, Knight was a much better shooter and a smarter player. Many experts think that Knight will make the better pro but Wall has the gift of SPEED so I call that one a toss up. With Kanter, who is animal , the 2011 would have won the NCAA title.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Give examples of why and how he is a horrible X's & O's coach please. You guys act like there is some secret mystery to coaching and that is BS! At UMass they ran into the 96' Wildcats and in Final game the UM Tigers didn't hit thier free throws. Back up your BS claims with facts. Chuck Noll of the 70's Steelers was horrible X's & O's Coach too. Game film and examples please. I have good friend that been a College coach for years and he wants to see these Secret things too.

[Image: http://pawsru.org/pawsX/theNewBoard/src/...626998.jpg]
honestjchsfan Wrote:zaga_fan I will give you credit for atleast trying. In the title game Memphis missed 4 of its last 5 free throws in regulation and thats not X's and 0's. In the game vs WVU, what you failed to point out was the fact that UK had OPEN looks from behind the 3-point line but failed to knock them down. Last season Lamb, Miller and KW were deadly shooting the 3 point shot and point guard Marcus Teague knocked down some key 3 pointers too. You guys give Bobby Knight credit for being a great X's & O's coach but in 1975 Joe B Hall clearly out coached him in the final four. Hall instructed Keivin Grevey to take the Ball right at IU star Scott May. Hall used a agressive D to force IU into 20 turnovers. Lots of you guys look back at 2010 UK team and all you remember is they had five 1st RD draft picks but now after a few years in the NBA we see that only one has been a consistent starter in the NBA that being John Wall. Cal did a excellent job handling Cousins who has proved to be a big trouble maker in the NBA. We all saw what he pulled a few days ago. How can one compare the talent between 2010 UK vs 2012 UK??? Thats a easy one,, D. Miller started for the 2010 UK team but he didn't start as SR for the 2012 team. I will also take the 2011 UK team over the 2010 bunch too. I will take TJ over Patterson, MILLER year 3 over Miller year 2, yes I give Cousins over Jorts, but I will take Lamb over Eric B in the college game. Lamb was a much more reliable shooter who turned into shutdown defender. That leaves Wall vs Knight,,,,, Knight was a much better shooter and a smarter player. Many experts think that Knight will make the better pro but Wall has the gift of SPEED so I call that one a toss up. With Kanter, who is animal , the 2011 would have won the NCAA title.

Ba-Ha-Ha honestJUSTCLUESShsfan - The Memphis cluster was the GREATEST cluster in college championship history! I have pointed out on this site HUNDREDS of times already the number of FAILS that Cal has had in his career, thus, to name them one more time would be a waste of MY time, so, go look them up.

But to comment specifically about the Memphis/Kansas fiasco you clueless Kool-Aid drinker, go back and watch it! It's easy to find, and is a simple You-Tube download, or you can get the entire game on Netflix! Up to the final 6 minutes of the game, KU had NO CHANCE in that game. Over the final 6 minutes of the game, Bill Self instituted the Hack-a-Tiger game plan! As I have mentioned time and again, Tigers were completely lost with no direction on what to do! Cal did not call time outs, he did not make any adjustments, nor were there any offensive or defensive scheme changes in the gameplan. Everytime a Tiger would get fouled, they looked to the Bench, only to get no direction. REPEAT - NO DIRECTION from the bench. I don't care if the comments are claps and attaboys, but Cal was everybit as flustered as his players! The timeouts called were by KU, only to set direction on who to foul next. Memphis timeouts were prayers, not coaching. Everybody - not just Bobby Knight - knows that Cal was outcoached and beaten by a far inferior team! Look it up, and don't make it up as you go! As for the rest of my specifics, they are listed a-plenty elsewhere, but you bore me, thus I will make you find them yourself (BUT THEY ARE POSTED MANY TIMES)....
Any coach with a national championship is a good coach. case closed.
Stardust Wrote:Ba-Ha-Ha honestJUSTCLUESShsfan - The Memphis cluster was the GREATEST cluster in college championship history! I have pointed out on this site HUNDREDS of times already the number of FAILS that Cal has had in his career, thus, to name them one more time would be a waste of MY time, so, go look them up.

But to comment specifically about the Memphis/Kansas fiasco you clueless Kool-Aid drinker, go back and watch it! It's easy to find, and is a simple You-Tube download, or you can get the entire game on Netflix! Up to the final 6 minutes of the game, KU had NO CHANCE in that game. Over the final 6 minutes of the game, Bill Self instituted the Hack-a-Tiger game plan! As I have mentioned time and again, Tigers were completely lost with no direction on what to do! Cal did not call time outs, he did not make any adjustments, nor were there any offensive or defensive scheme changes in the gameplan. Everytime a Tiger would get fouled, they looked to the Bench, only to get no direction. REPEAT - NO DIRECTION from the bench. I don't care if the comments are claps and attaboys, but Cal was everybit as flustered as his players! The timeouts called were by KU, only to set direction on who to foul next. Memphis timeouts were prayers, not coaching. Everybody - not just Bobby Knight - knows that Cal was outcoached and beaten by a far inferior team! Look it up, and don't make it up as you go! As for the rest of my specifics, they are listed a-plenty elsewhere, but you bore me, thus I will make you find them yourself (BUT THEY ARE POSTED MANY TIMES)....

Starduck, is the Memphis game all you can come up with???? MAN that is weak!! :lame: Memphis missed 4 out of 5 foul shots late in the game. If they make the foul shots they win. Coach K lost his first title game vs UL! Denny Crum used him that game! He also blew a HUGE lead in 1998 vs UK and TUBBY coached rings around him, he was begging for a TO, but he had wasted them all. Coach K has lost a heck of a lot more final 4 games than Cal has HE LOST TO A 15 SEED LAST year but to all the BRG nut jobs he is still a GREAT X's & O's Coach Confusednicker:. Coach K couldn't pick up a pile of Adolph Rupp's poop.
^ Yep, you completely proved yourself JUSTCLUELESS again! Memphis is not all that I came up with, but you obviously failed to comprehend, which we all knew you lacked that ability to do so! What is lame is your recollection of the game itself. It should have never gotten to "needing to hit a Free Throw to win the game. But then again, you have the same eyesight as Ray Charles..... Wink
How many missed 3 pointers do you miss consecutively before you change your game plan?
:popcorn:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
zaga_fan Wrote:How many missed 3 pointers do you miss consecutively before you change your game plan?

You don't. If you get a look you take it. You have to get the bigs to fight harder for the rebound.
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
:flush:
zaga_fan Wrote:How many missed 3 pointers do you miss consecutively before you change your game plan?

Rick Pitino would put a guy on the bench for passing up a open 3, we all remember that. Speaking of Rick Pitino, it took a college ALL-Star team with 10 or 11 PROS on it for him to win a title. He blew the title game the next year and blamed it on a injury. The same clowns on here that say Cal is a bad X's and O's coach will sing about how great a coach PITINO IS :flush: Pitino showed how smart he is vs UK in the final four last year,, Pressing last years UK tea:hilarious:m UK had burned the nets off vs IU on the free throw line and if the Pressing team didn't get the ball UK was dunking on the other end. But to the BRG crowd he is a great X's and O's coach :hilarious:
Stardust Wrote:^ Yep, you completely proved yourself JUSTCLUELESS again! Memphis is not all that I came up with, but you obviously failed to comprehend, which we all knew you lacked that ability to do so! What is lame is your recollection of the game itself. It should have never gotten to "needing to hit a Free Throw to win the game. But then again, you have the same eyesight as Ray Charles..... Wink

Memphis had been a bad free throw shooting team that whole year Starduck, it came back to bite them in the butt. Cal done a poor job improving them at that weakness but thats not X's and O's. Cal done a wonderful job coaching UK last season and a solid job the year before and YOU KNOW THAT! Dean Smith had MJ, Sam Perkins, Kenny Smith and the #1 pick in the draft Brad Daugherty and couldn't win the NCAA title. It takes good coaching even when you have talent.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Starduck, is the Memphis game all you can come up with???? MAN that is weak!! :lame: Memphis missed 4 out of 5 foul shots late in the game. If they make the foul shots they win. Coach K lost his first title game vs UL! Denny Crum used him that game! He also blew a HUGE lead in 1998 vs UK and TUBBY coached rings around him, he was begging for a TO, but he had wasted them all. Coach K has lost a heck of a lot more final 4 games than Cal has HE LOST TO A 15 SEED LAST year but to all the BRG nut jobs he is still a GREAT X's & O's Coach Confusednicker:. Coach K couldn't pick up a pile of Adolph Rupp's poop.

I get so sick of hearing about how Tubby "brilliantly" outcoached K in
that game. Tubby had a bigger, faster stronger team with vastly
more depth than Duke. K got that team up in UK by 20 because
Tubby couldn't didn't have a clue. Then they come out in the
2nd half facing that big deficit and Tubby has the "amazing insight
to let his team start pressing"? WOW that took some coaching genius
there boy. Who else could have come up with an idea like
pressing a team that has you in a 20 point hole.

They left Timeouts on the floor as well, when a team it rattled, you help them out (unless you are rattled yourself)! They were coached to extend the plays, abandoning the Dribble/Drive that had them with a 9 point lead with 2:00 to go! Who in their right mind would tell their team to burn clock, knowing that the other teams ONLY chance to get back in the game was to foul them. Then, their defense collapsed inside the 3 point line. Hmm, a team down 9 with their only hope (other than Hack-a-Tiger) is to shoot uncontested three-pointers!

:Thumbs:
honestjchsfan Wrote:Memphis had been a bad free throw shooting team that whole year Starduck, it came back to bite them in the butt. Cal done a poor job improving them at that weakness but thats not X's and O's. Cal done a wonderful job coaching UK last season and a solid job the year before and YOU KNOW THAT! Dean Smith had MJ, Sam Perkins, Kenny Smith and the #1 pick in the draft Brad Daugherty and couldn't win the NCAA title. It takes good coaching even when you have talent.

[Image: http://rlv.zcache.com/goofy_yellow_duck_...ur_400.jpg]
honestjchsfan Wrote:I don't understand what makes you guys think Coach K is so great, he has been to 11 final fours and only won the title 4 times. We all know that coach K has got a pass with the NCAA. Let a UK player throw down a large chunk of cash for some fancy jewelry and the NCAA will have the Pinketon detective ageny in Lexington with shot guns and AK 47s. Jerry Tarkanian was probably as good a basketball mind and coach as anybody but the NCAA was on him like a Duck on a June Bug! He sued the NCAA too and they paid him $2.5 million. I don't know were you get Pitino is such a great Coach either? He won a title in 96' at UK but what about 95'??? Most of the guys on the 96' team were there in 95'. We all remember him not guarding the guy that inbounded the ball on the famous play in the 92' game. If you take a closer look at what Joe B Hall done at UK and you consider that he had only one or two players make impact type players in the NBA, his 3 final fours and one NCAA title look pretty strong. IMO be able to recruit is part of being a great coach. Some of these guys on here knocking Cal and Calling him a just a great recruiter would never knock Chuck Noll of the Steelers but hey he had truck load of Hall-of-fame players that he brought to the Steelers, and he was smart and a great coach for drafting them same as Cal is for bring in Davis and MKG and the rest of the Crew.

HJ, I have to say that while it takes a stone idiot to claim Cal isn't a good coach, it takes equal stupidity to claim K isn't. The point about only 4 titles in 11 FF's isn't such an indictment when you recognize the NCAA creampuffing their brackets that led to some of those FF appearances.
Duke has had some great teams, some worth NCAA champions, they
have also enjoyed some outrageous favoritism from the NCAA
seeding thru the years. Last year being one of the rare exceptions
when you couldn't see a blatant sandbagging of their region.

But all that aside, K does a hell of a job coaching his teams, and
they're always fundamentally sound. And even though the bias
is undeniable, he still had to drive his team to take advantage
of it, which he successfully did several times.
Stardust Wrote:[Image: http://rlv.zcache.com/goofy_yellow_duck_...ur_400.jpg]

You certainly got an apt icon on your profile. Based on your
pathetically informed opinions, it's pretty obvious you're right
there on Dusty's level intellectually.
Observing Wrote:You certainly got an apt icon on your profile. Based on your
pathetically informed opinions, it's pretty obvious you're right
there on Dusty's level intellectually.

[Image: http://www.petsafe.net/blog/wp-content/u...arking.jpg]
Observing Wrote:I get so sick of hearing about how Tubby "brilliantly" outcoached K in
that game. Tubby had a bigger, faster stronger team with vastly
more depth than Duke. K got that team up in UK by 20 because
Tubby couldn't didn't have a clue. Then they come out in the
2nd half facing that big deficit and Tubby has the "amazing insight
to let his team start pressing"? WOW that took some coaching genius
there boy. Who else could have come up with an idea like
pressing a team that has you in a 20 point hole.

Had coach k won that game people would call it coaching brilliance.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Had coach k won that game people would call it coaching brilliance.

[Image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Bp2a7-hvHs0/S_...oach+K.jpg]

Coach K is the greatest ever! He took a collection of the greatest talent of the current generation and won a championship. You have to be a GREAT coach in order to take the BEST talent and get them to play as a team....

....LOL, boy, I have heard that someplace....:biglmao:

[Image: http://markc1.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b...62c970b-pi]
I've had the crapiest work day in the history of man and this stuff keeps me laughing. Good job everyone
^ What did I tell you?? It's like shooting Fish in a Tea Cup!
[Image: http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/d/1...7624352000]
[Image: http://rlv.zcache.com/theres_a_sucker_bo...l0_400.jpg]
Anyone that says Cal can't coach obviously doesn't know what they're talking about. You can't win as many games as he has with just "talent". Although, talent always helps.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Had coach k won that game people would call it coaching brilliance.

Coach K is so OVERRATED. Since 1984 his Duke team has been a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament 12 times and been a #2 seed 8 times, that's 20 NCAA tournaments, IMO that's a whole lot of high seeds to have won only 4 titles, you can add 5 more #3 seeds to that total too. Coach K also lost in the title game by 30 one year to UNLV. He has had 9 player win the Naismith College Player of the Year Award and 26 AP All-Americans so he has had a load of talent. Cal has been a #1 seed at UK 2 times and has one title to show for it, he took a #4 seed to a final four which is something COACH K has NEVER done, the lowest seed he ever took to the final four was a #3 and that was only one time the other 10 final four teams were either a #1 or #2 seed. Starduck has done so much SPACE COKE that he can't see the facts. IMO right now today, Cal is a better coach than coach K he teachs a better brand of team defense and the dribble drive is better fit for today's college game. WHEN CAL HAS THIS YEARS YOUNG TEAM IN THE FINAL FOUR, MAYBE THEN STARDUCK WILL ADMITT HE IS WRONG. :1:
honestjchsfan Wrote:Give examples of why and how he is a horrible X's & O's coach please. You guys act like there is some secret mystery to coaching and that is BS! At UMass they ran into the 96' Wildcats and in Final game the UM Tigers didn't hit thier free throws. Back up your BS claims with facts. Chuck Noll of the 70's Steelers was horrible X's & O's Coach too. Game film and examples please. I have good friend that been a College coach for years and he wants to see these Secret things too.

There are plenty of examples where he can't coach X's and O's....when he had to coach against Huggins from west virginia, he made him look like a middle school kid going up against Michael Jordan!! They made Kentucky look like they had never seen a basketball and the only thing Cal did was stand on the sidelines picking his nose...now I am in no way a west virginia fan but come one really!! I can go on with the examples, if you need me too, that one is just the one that really sticks out in my mind....you can tell you "college coach friend" that if he cant figure out that Cal can't coach X's and O's that he might need to move down to the middle school level becuase he apparently knows nothing about basketball...:hilarious:
wildcats20 Wrote:There are plenty of examples where he can't coach X's and O's....when he had to coach against Huggins from west virginia, he made him look like a middle school kid going up against Michael Jordan!! They made Kentucky look like they had never seen a basketball and the only thing Cal did was stand on the sidelines picking his nose...now I am in no way a west virginia fan but come one really!! I can go on with the examples, if you need me too, that one is just the one that really sticks out in my mind....you can tell you "college coach friend" that if he cant figure out that Cal can't coach X's and O's that he might need to move down to the middle school level becuase he apparently knows nothing about basketball...:hilarious:

This example has already been discussed , I watched that whole game the other day and UK had more open looks from 3 then you can shake a stick at! PLEASE explain to me how COACH K can be a Great X's and O's Coach then? He got B*** slapped in the title game by 30 one year, blew a 20 point lead to UK another year. I listed before that he has been a #1 seed 12 times a #2 seed 8 times and a #3 seem 5 times since 1984, one of his titles was the result of one of the biggest MIRACLE plays in the histroy of basketball! What about all his other #1 seeds that never won a title???? I see how you BGR Jokers think, Cal's (2) #1 Seed teams get beat because of bad 3 point shooting or bad free throw shooting and its a result of his poor X's and O's coaching. Coach K's 10, COUNT THEM 10 #1 seeds lose because of whatever reason and he is still a MASTER X's and O's COACH???? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! :HitWall: Do you guys think everything you hear on ESPN comes out of the BIBLE??? It takes a MIRACLE play for K to beat a bunch of Eddie Sutton left overs and you guys buy right into him being some MASTER???? One of K's titles was a result of a miracle play and the his win over UNLV in title game was ROBBERY the NCAA may well held a gun on Jerry Tarkanain. That was the worst offciated title game I ever saw. Explain to me why Coach K's 10 #1 seed team didn't win??Up until Cal took over at UK , Duke had the most player in the NBA so I don;t want to hear talent. You guys are just Cal haters trying to rock the boat.
honestjchsfan Wrote:This example has already been discussed , I watched that whole game the other day and UK had more open looks from 3 then you can shake a stick at! PLEASE explain to me how COACH K can be a Great X's and O's Coach then? He got B*** slapped in the title game by 30 one year, blew a 20 point lead to UK another year. I listed before that he has been a #1 seed 12 times a #2 seed 8 times and a #3 seem 5 times since 1984, one of his titles was the result of one of the biggest MIRACLE plays in the histroy of basketball! What about all his other #1 seeds that never won a title???? I see how you BGR Jokers think, Cal's (2) #1 Seed teams get beat because of bad 3 point shooting or bad free throw shooting and its a result of his poor X's and O's coaching. Coach K's 10, COUNT THEM 10 #1 seeds lose because of whatever reason and he is still a MASTER X's and O's COACH???? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! :HitWall: Do you guys think everything you hear on ESPN comes out of the BIBLE??? It takes a MIRACLE play for K to beat a bunch of Eddie Sutton left overs and you guys buy right into him being some MASTER???? One of K's titles was a result of a miracle play and the his win over UNLV in title game was ROBBERY the NCAA may well held a gun on Jerry Tarkanain. That was the worst offciated title game I ever saw. Explain to me why Coach K's 10 #1 seed team didn't win??Up until Cal took over at UK , Duke had the most player in the NBA so I don;t want to hear talent. You guys are just Cal haters trying to rock the boat.

I never mentioned Coack K in my post...so I dont know what you are talking about..and by the way this isnt a Coack K bashing we are supposed to be talking about Coach Cal...and how he cant coach.
When cal gets an elite 8 or final 4 next this year and will probably be the favorite next year. Lets see what people say if he gets one or two more rings.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:When cal gets an elite 8 or final 4 next this year and will probably be the favorite next year. Lets see what people say if he gets one or two more rings.

Hmmm, the same things they say about Eric Spoelstra "you can't lose with the best talent "??????