Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Mountain Players You Remember
After reading the Bo Jackson 30 for 30 thread, it got me thinking of some mountain guys.
When i think of mountain guys who i remember the most, i dont think of the so called "freaks" or fastest guys, usually when you think of some of the best mountain players of all time, they were guys who were undersized and usually just good. Thats the best way i can put it.

This can encompass the WYMT coverage area.

A couple of players that stand out for me over the past 20 years would have to be....

I think of Shawn Robbins at Bell County.
I think of the duo of Howard and Jones at Belfry.
I think of Haddix at Breathitt.
I think of Jarrod Lawson from Whitley/Corbin.
I think of Durrell White at Mboro
I think of Jason Ledger at Rockcastle

Its amazing what names you remember when you start thinking of this, but i could prolly pop off a 100 more from the 90's.

Which players do you remember the most?
Aside form the ones you mentioned:

Tim Couch at Leslie County of course
Brent Coleman and Eddie Duramus from Pikeville
John Ortega and Jeremy Caudill from Pburg
Kyle Moore from Breathitt
Michael West and Gerad Parker from Lawrence County
Joey Stepp from Sheldon Clark
Scotty Russell at Evarts
Mikey Scott at Belfry
Greg Hackney and Bobby Deramus at Pikeville
the above mentioned Tim Couch at Leslie
Is Ashland considered in the mountains? If so Juan Thomas
Corey Reeves.....Corbin
Newer generation....Jude from Johnson Central
Freddie Maggard....Cumberland......A story I just read made me remember this mountain legend.
Oliver White - Knox Central who went on to play for UK and the Steelers.
Steve Bird, Corbin, EKU National Champs, St. Louis Cardinals
Tuck Woolum, Pineville, EKU National Champs
George Massey. Cumberland, UK
Micro-Brew Wrote:Freddie Maggard....Cumberland......A story I just read made me remember this mountain legend.

I read the same story.
Wink
I go back a little further than a lot of you but:

Chuck Huffman, Ray Haley, Bob Shurtleff and Mark Littrell, Pikeville
Tim Couch, Leslie County
Scotty Russell, Evarts
Freddie Maggard, George Massey, Tinsley, Cumberland
Nick Jamerson, Prestonsburg
Tony Mayes and Joey Couch, Paintsville
Gerald Osborne, Virgie

I could name several others.
Tim couch,Greg couch and Mike whitaker leslie county
Did i really sit there in my first post and not put tim couch down? Confusednicker:
Besides one's mentioned.
Josh Gross..Russell..I don't know what happened to him, but I enjoyed watching the kid play ball.
Dan Baker & Eddie Melton Leslie Co.
All of those names listed are great. The one I will add is Marty Regan from Rockcastle County. Not just a great runner but also a great DB. At one time he was on the state wide career interceptions list. He may still be.

Also, I cannot remember all the names but Bell County and Rock had some unreal lineman. Everything starts with the big fellas.
If you're including Pulaski County then John Cole of Somerset has to be on the short list.
Some names not yet mentioned that come to mind immediately

Mike Whittaker - Leslie Co
Michael Caba - Magoffin Co
Bill Allen - Morgan Co
Ricky Bowling - S Laurel

All 4 were great quarterbacks in their time.

Two of the best noseguards came out of the mountains, Joey Couch from Paintsville and Keith "Chan" Marcum from Belfry, both in the 80s.

Receivers, John Cole from Somerset (Vandy), Rick Kestner from Belfry (UK)

Running Backs
Quentin Henson - Lynn Camp
Kasey Clark - Russell
Jon Chapman - Breathitt and Pikeville
Marty Reagan - Rockcastle
Shawn Robbins - Bell Co
Also forgot the TE from Bell Co that played at UK, Clark I think

And Channing Fugate from Breathitt who is at UT
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:After reading the Bo Jackson 30 for 30 thread, it got me thinking of some mountain guys.
When i think of mountain guys who i remember the most, i dont think of the so called "freaks" or fastest guys, usually when you think of some of the best mountain players of all time, they were guys who were undersized and usually just good. Thats the best way i can put it.

This can encompass the WYMT coverage area.

A couple of players that stand out for me over the past 20 years would have to be....

I think of Shawn Robbins at Bell County.
I think of the duo of Howard and Jones at Belfry.
I think of Haddix at Breathitt.
I think of Jarrod Lawson from Whitley/Corbin.
I think of Durrell White at Mboro
I think of Jason Ledger at Rockcastle

Its amazing what names you remember when you start thinking of this, but i could prolly pop off a 100 more from the 90's.

Which players do you remember the most?

Durrell White should count as Bell County too, I think he only played his senior year at Mboro.
Nik Blair, North Laurel was one of the quickest and elusive running backs in the mountains.
Bobby McQuilham
David Hensley
Brian Williams
Brent Freeman
Randy Frazier
Freddie Maggard
Tim Couch
Charles Tinsley
John Cole

My all time favorite though was Tony Massey from Somerset. QB converted to DE at Kentucky. Nothing jackd me up more than watching him come in from the blind side and knocking the shit out of an SEC opponent QB. Wooooooo!
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Also forgot the TE from Bell Co that played at UK, Clark I think

And Channing Fugate from Breathitt who is at UT

Clark has a great story about getting knocked through the sideline into the base of the stadium on a kickoff against Florida by Kearse just as he was about to make a TD saving tackle...lol. Next day in film Curry rewound that hit about 5 times and asked Clark why he didn't make the play...lol.
Tony Massey Somerset then on to UK. James Fletcher running back Somerset, he put up some unreal numbers in his two years there. Brian Williams Middlesboro then on to UK great defensive end in Claiborne's wide tackle six. DeShea Henson Clay County was a heck of a running back. Sean Pennington from Clay County was a nice quarterback there in the mid 80's as well.
mlbscout Wrote:Nik Blair, North Laurel was one of the quickest and elusive running backs in the mountains.

Probably the fastest player ive seen in person at the high school level.
Steve Bird - Corbin
Jj jude was tough from johnson central. Neone know what he dis in college? I cant remember where he went but where ever it was i think they signed him as a db?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Jj jude was tough from johnson central. Neone know what he dis in college? I cant remember where he went but where ever it was i think they signed him as a db?

He's at Eastern Kentucky University. He was redshirted this season but during the summer practices he was playing running back. They have a futures game each week during the season with the redshirts but I didn't see any of them to see if they still had him at running back. My son is a freshman on the team as well, he didn't redshirt but I'll see if he knows.
Veron Johnson laurel co
Can't remember his name he was from somerset played in early 80's running back hell of a ball carrier fast an had some moves think he went on a played at UK.
panther nation Wrote:Veron Johnson laurel co
Can't remember his name he was from somerset played in early 80's running back hell of a ball carrier fast an had some moves think he went on a played at UK.

That was Pete Venable.
Cory Davenport--Bell County
Joe Washington - Lynch and Larry Kirksey - Harlan
Frank McDaniel - Cawood
Bimbo Fuson - Middlesboro
Kenny Roark - Middlesboro
R.C. Thomas - Corbin
Steve Bird - Corbin