•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open HC Jobs
Dudley Hilton had some major health problems here recently. Maybe that has put a damper on some of these jobs.
Dr. B Wrote:Does south laurel have the potential to be a good football school?

I've always thought it could be. They've had solid teams in the past. I saw them this year and they dang sure passed the look test.

How are the lines set up in London/Laurel County? Is it split right through the middle of town? If not, whichever school gets the biggest chunk of kids from London is probably the better job.
IDk how its set up, I figured the kids of laurel co could go to which ever school they wanted too. Does the school back the football program and give it the support it needs to be successful? I always thought that with the number of students in Laurel Co. that both North/South would be more successful than they have been in years past.
Dr. B Wrote:IDk how its set up, I figured the kids of laurel co could go to which ever school they wanted too. Does the school back the football program and give it the support it needs to be successful? I always thought that with the number of students in Laurel Co. that both North/South would be more successful than they have been in years past.

One would think, but that's why I ask where do they draw the majority of their kids?

I'm one of the few on here that agree with demographics playing a large part (if not the main underlying part) of a schools success or lack of, before anything else matters.

Things like, where do they draw most of their kids? Are they in and around London (lets say within 5 miles of the school)? Or do they get the majority of their kids from the southern part of the county? If so, are those kids going to South or do those kids go to Corbin? Are those kids playing if in fact they go to South? Is it truly South Laurel football or is it South London Football @ South Laurel High School (playing 5A with a 2A pool of kids)?
I agree. I know little about south but those are good questions that someone on here might be able to answer for us. Also, I would like to know does the school system back the football program? with a school the size of south they got to have athletes
Laurel County is a place in General where politics rule. Now I know most people are going to say that's everywhere, but its a large part of Laurel County athletics. Coaching hires are always politically based and most of the time the best candidates are passed over for the Good ole boy program. The schools don't really put money/ effort into there sports programs, South used to when they had there bball coach but he jumped ship to SW Pulaski after he won a state title. (Weird) Now most kids on Souths end of the town are Corbin jumpers. Most of the parents for which I dont blame, take there kids over to Corbin during middle school years. The general public opinion about South Laurels athletic programs is to field a team in every sport but don't really but an emphasis on doing what it takes to win. How coach Welch was hired when he posted an aweful record over several years 98-2000 5 wins, 26 losses at North Laurel, Ill never know. He might have been there before 98 but the records dont show on KHSAA. Then he spends a few years at Rockcastle and bam, Hired at South Laurel from 09-2012 and posted 10 wins and 32 losses. In 2011 his Junior class won 5 games and when they became seniors they went 1-9. (Did I mention his wife is the long time secretary for the Laurel County Superintendent) hmm..... lol In my opinion, if South were to hire someone outside the program to come and start fresh with these kids most likely kids would start to gravitate back to the Football team. Morale is low, parents think the program doesn't care and the admin based of track record alone consistently show its not a priority. Finally, I think its a shame because Laurel County schools are on the edge of the mountains and pretty much have the largest community around the area. When I look at this I say wow, there is an opportunity because of Demographics and there mini economy (which is bigger than anyone else's) in the AO. Its been this way all my life.. so Im going to go with History and say ...... Also most likely there Off Cord will be the new Head Coach. Coach Powenski. I think he was the off cord at Union College for a few years and was fired. I do know through several people that this past year might have been a case of undermining by some on the staff. Welch had already been rumored to be retiring after the year , because his son graduated in 2011. So most likely if this A side of admin beats the B side of the Admin, Powenski will be the coach. That's my piece. Oxygen tank anyone?? lol
I've heard there is almost zero support for athletics from the laurel county school system. That is the biggest factor in their lack of success. They also don't allow paraprofessionals to help coach either.
Coach Powenski will more than likely be hired as head coach at SL. He's already in the system and he's assistant head coach.
I would love to see Coach Duncum at South Laurel.:popcorn:
Powenski was part of the problem. South needs to make the effort to hire a real coach. The kids deserve better than settling. We saw what that did with the last hire.
MustangSally Wrote:Will be interesting to see who takes over at Bishop Brossart. I think the writing was on the wall two years ago when the majority of the staff(both cordinators, plus 3 other assistants) didn't return.

Jackson05 Wrote:What does Brossart have that makes it an attractive job?
Hate to heard this. Surprised? not really

Brossart has had much success in other sports. There are athletes there. A problem is getting them to commit to football, especially a program that hasn't won many games the last few years.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:One would think, but that's why I ask where do they draw the majority of their kids?

I'm one of the few on here that agree with demographics playing a large part (if not the main underlying part) of a schools success or lack of, before anything else matters.

Things like, where do they draw most of their kids? Are they in and around London (lets say within 5 miles of the school)? Or do they get the majority of their kids from the southern part of the county? If so, are those kids going to South or do those kids go to Corbin? Are those kids playing if in fact they go to South? Is it truly South Laurel football or is it South London Football @ South Laurel High School (playing 5A with a 2A pool of kids)?

South laurel just needs to get a highschool FOOTBALL COACH they have the kids for a 5A schools,or you wouldn't be in 5A :wieghts:
64sur hit the nail on the head. They have 5A numbers. South has had success in the past. The administration is to blame. Why would you hire a head coach who had failed miserably at another school in the district? They sold the kids and program out with the last hire. The community and parents need to hold them accountable if they continue down that path.
More underlying facts go into than that.
South Laurel and North Laurel are split by a made up line. I-75 is part of it, but it goes all over the place from there. Could SL be a great coaching job? Absolutely. Does the administration or community support them? Absolutely not!! Most of NL and SL's problem is brought on at a early age with basically no option to get into competitive football until you get into middle school. You would think a county like that would have such a thing, but you would be dead wrong. The "optimist" leagues there is beyond pathetic and useless. Now the biggest issue in Laurel county is becoming the whole school system. You have a school board that is made up of mainly NL supporters. On top of that, the county has 3 athletic directors. Yes, 3 AD's. One for NL, one for SL, and one for....well, I'm not sure what for. SL's own principal and AD have no interest in making SL a better athletic program. Thats not an opinion, its a well known fact. On top of all that, you have a bunch of kids that live close to the Whitley side of Laurel are recruited to Corbin and they just give false addresses or just pay the tuition. Now you have NL that try's everything in their power to get SL's better players over there. Laurel county is basically a mess. lol.
raisedseams Wrote:South Laurel and North Laurel are split by a made up line. I-75 is part of it, but it goes all over the place from there. Could SL be a great coaching job? Absolutely. Does the administration or community support them? Absolutely not!! Most of NL and SL's problem is brought on at a early age with basically no option to get into competitive football until you get into middle school. You would think a county like that would have such a thing, but you would be dead wrong. The "optimist" leagues there is beyond pathetic and useless. Now the biggest issue in Laurel county is becoming the whole school system. You have a school board that is made up of mainly NL supporters. On top of that, the county has 3 athletic directors. Yes, 3 AD's. One for NL, one for SL, and one for....well, I'm not sure what for. SL's own principal and AD have no interest in making SL a better athletic program. Thats not an opinion, its a well known fact. On top of all that, you have a bunch of kids that live close to the Whitley side of Laurel are recruited to Corbin and they just give false addresses or just pay the tuition. Now you have NL that try's everything in their power to get SL's better players over there. Laurel county is basically a mess. lol.

To quote Colin Cowherd, sounds like a "dumpster fire" there if even half of this is true.
chicken_hawks101 Wrote:Laurel County is a place in General where politics rule. Now I know most people are going to say that's everywhere, but its a large part of Laurel County athletics. Coaching hires are always politically based and most of the time the best candidates are passed over for the Good ole boy program. The schools don't really put money/ effort into there sports programs, South used to when they had there bball coach but he jumped ship to SW Pulaski after he won a state title. (Weird) Now most kids on Souths end of the town are Corbin jumpers. Most of the parents for which I dont blame, take there kids over to Corbin during middle school years. The general public opinion about South Laurels athletic programs is to field a team in every sport but don't really but an emphasis on doing what it takes to win. How coach Welch was hired when he posted an aweful record over several years 98-2000 5 wins, 26 losses at North Laurel, Ill never know. He might have been there before 98 but the records dont show on KHSAA. Then he spends a few years at Rockcastle and bam, Hired at South Laurel from 09-2012 and posted 10 wins and 32 losses. In 2011 his Junior class won 5 games and when they became seniors they went 1-9. (Did I mention his wife is the long time secretary for the Laurel County Superintendent) hmm..... lol In my opinion, if South were to hire someone outside the program to come and start fresh with these kids most likely kids would start to gravitate back to the Football team. Morale is low, parents think the program doesn't care and the admin based of track record alone consistently show its not a priority. Finally, I think its a shame because Laurel County schools are on the edge of the mountains and pretty much have the largest community around the area. When I look at this I say wow, there is an opportunity because of Demographics and there mini economy (which is bigger than anyone else's) in the AO. Its been this way all my life.. so Im going to go with History and say ...... Also most likely there Off Cord will be the new Head Coach. Coach Powenski. I think he was the off cord at Union College for a few years and was fired. I do know through several people that this past year might have been a case of undermining by some on the staff. Welch had already been rumored to be retiring after the year , because his son graduated in 2011. So most likely if this A side of admin beats the B side of the Admin, Powenski will be the coach. That's my piece. Oxygen tank anyone?? lol

Well said.

Personally, Ive loved watching South Laurel self destruct over the past 5 yars.
I really hope they do hire the assistant.

There i no reason North and South are as bad as they are every year. There the two BIGGEST schools in the mountains, and yet they struggle with 1A and 2A schools on a yearly basis.

That would be a hot spot for good football. There some great potential athletes walking the halls at South. Look what Irwin did for them the few years he was there until people started learning how to defend the hurry up and he split.

The Welch hire blew my mind. Dont get me wrong, im happy they done it, but wow. Horrible choice.

IMO, they need to get away from the program and county in general.
They need to find a coach somewhere with no ties. I like how Letcher hired Rains. South needs to do the same.

We shall see.
raisedseams Wrote:South Laurel and North Laurel are split by a made up line. I-75 is part of it, but it goes all over the place from there. Could SL be a great coaching job? Absolutely. Does the administration or community support them? Absolutely not!! Most of NL and SL's problem is brought on at a early age with basically no option to get into competitive football until you get into middle school. You would think a county like that would have such a thing, but you would be dead wrong. The "optimist" leagues there is beyond pathetic and useless. Now the biggest issue in Laurel county is becoming the whole school system. You have a school board that is made up of mainly NL supporters. On top of that, the county has 3 athletic directors. Yes, 3 AD's. One for NL, one for SL, and one for....well, I'm not sure what for. SL's own principal and AD have no interest in making SL a better athletic program. Thats not an opinion, its a well known fact. On top of all that, you have a bunch of kids that live close to the Whitley side of Laurel are recruited to Corbin and they just give false addresses or just pay the tuition. Now you have NL that try's everything in their power to get SL's better players over there. Laurel county is basically a mess. lol.

Spot on.
There isnt a false statement in this entire post.
If I were a head coach and had any job to choose from that was currently open, it would be South, IF and only IF, the board and the 14 AD's they have leave the football program alone and give me full control.

But that will never happen. It's Laurel County. It's basketball. It's politics. Move on.

That will be your answer.
Has anyone heard anything on the West Jessamine job?
West Jess job isn't all that appealing. They have a district wide AD that is a micro manager beyond the term micro managing. This job is a job for someone who wanted to get a start at coaching, learn the ropes and bounce. Otherwise no well known coaches will touch this !! D+ JOB. Best part is your located 15 min away from the Fayette mall and all of Lexington's Eateries. lol.
Harry Doyle Wrote:Food for thought, but Bell County nor Wayne County have soccer. Interesting don't you think?

Why would they? Kid's like american football pretty well up here and I think that it's worked out pretty well so far.
I heard through the grapevine from 3 reliable sources that a new coach will be coming soon to Knott County and he is from outside the current program. Anyone heard if this is true or are these just rumors?
C.Clair Wrote:Its a relationship that has been sour for a long time.

Must not be too sour from hearing what his salary is. :biggrin:

So you're saying that Holcomb will not return?
Bell Co. 21 Wrote:Why would they? Kid's like american football pretty well up here and I think that it's worked out pretty well so far.

Totally agree. Point I was trying to make is that soccer is probably getting some kids at the likes of places like Corbin. Whereas as Bell and Wayne don't have to compete against that.
Sounds like south needs to bring in someone from out of county that has a passion for football and could turn the program around. I just dont think Coach Powenski can get it done, Bringing in the off cord. which is clearly part of the problem to turn the program around is just stupid if you ask me. I think with the right coaching staff both south & north could be a power house
Louisville Butler going through the motions of posting the opening as current defensive coordinator has been promised the job as Carmony steps down.
Last I heard, I know these schools were looking for a head coach:

- Green County
- Hopkins County Central
- Bishop Brossart
- Newport

Some of those jobs may be filled now, but that was the last I heard.

I also heard West Jessamine was in need of a coach. That true?

Haven't been on in a long time. Sorry if I'm behind on the talk.
Heard Warren East is open.
Also PL Dunbar
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next