•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado votes to legalize Marijuana?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't think that gateway drug means what you think that it means. The phrase is not synonymous with "addictive." Would you deny that users of most other non-prescription, illegal drugs used marijuana before they tried the harder stuff?

Whether marijuana is addictive or not is irrelevant to the question of whether it is a gateway to more dangerous drugs. Even if marijuana was highly addictive, it would not make people physically and mentally crave another addictive drug. People who break the law to use any kind of drug tend to be predisposed to break the law to use other drugs and it has nothing to do with addictions.
Could the reason be that dealers that deal pot, also deal harder drugs? Would it be a gateway drug if it could be bought in stores, like cigarettes? Would cigarettes be a gateway drug, if it were illegal, and peddled by dealers? What makes a gateway drug is a drug that you get used to, and need other things to get that high you once got. Pot will give you the same high 30 years after your first use. You can get used to cocaine, and lose the ability to get that initial high, therefore you would look for something else to "get you there". That doesn't happen with pot. The only gateway part of pot is the fact that the same dealers that peddle it, peddle the harder stuff, and can push you toward the harder, more addictive drugs.
Are tobacco and alcohol gateway drugs? Their use tends to be a stepping stone to hard drugs in studies.
TheRealVille Wrote:Could the reason be that dealers that deal pot, also deal harder drugs? Would it be a gateway drug if it could be bought in stores, like cigarettes? Would cigarettes be a gateway drug, if it were illegal, and peddled by dealers? What makes a gateway drug is a drug that you get used to, and need other things to get that high you once got. Pot will give you the same high 30 years after your first use. You can get used to cocaine, and lose the ability to get that initial high, therefore you would look for something else to "get you there". That doesn't happen with pot. The only gateway part of pot is the fact that the same dealers that peddle it, peddle the harder stuff, and can push you toward the harder, more addictive drugs.
You don't seem to be wanting to admit it, but breaking the law to get high is what makes marijuana a gateway drug. You are correct that in many cases, the person supplying marijuana is the same person who sells cocaine and heroin - but that really is an argument that marijuana is a gateway drug, is it not?

Do you support legalizing all drugs, or do you just want to make an exception for marijuana because it is your drug of choice? Cannot the same arguments that you make in favor of legalizing marijuana use be made for legalizing cocaine? If not, then what gives you, or the government, the right to decide which drugs are good and which ones are bad? Should that not be a personal decision, as long as the use of the drug does not affect other Americans?
TheRealVille Wrote:Are tobacco and alcohol gateway drugs? Their use tends to be a stepping stone to hard drugs in studies.
Of course they are, especially when used by teenagers who cannot smoke or drink legally. That does not mean that marijuana is not a gateway drug, does it? Selectively breaking laws is what makes Obama such a dangerous character. Laws should not be passed if they are not going to be enforced or if enforcement is only going to be done in selected cases.

I am in favor of legalizing drug use, provided a long list of other conditions are met, but justifying new laws on the basis of increasing taxes is not a good reason. I don't believe in "sin" taxes. The sale of all legal products should be taxed at the same rate. Yet liberals lead the charge to tax cigarettes and tobacco to fund government giveaway programs. Why is that? Are such taxes not an infringement on the rights of the freedom of smokers and drinkers to indulge in legal activities?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You don't seem to be wanting to admit it, but breaking the law to get high is what makes marijuana a gateway drug. You are correct that in many cases, the person supplying marijuana is the same person who sells cocaine and heroin - but that really is an argument that marijuana is a gateway drug, is it not?

Do you support legalizing all drugs, or do you just want to make an exception for marijuana because it is your drug of choice? Cannot the same arguments that you make in favor of legalizing marijuana use be made for legalizing cocaine? If not, then what gives you, or the government, the right to decide which drugs are good and which ones are bad? Should that not be a personal decision, as long as the use of the drug does not affect other Americans?
Not, it's not. What makes a gateway drug, is a drug that leads to other drug use. To lead to other drug use, you have to be able to get the same drugs at the same dealer, or get so immune to the effects of one drug, that you have to move on to another drug to continue to get the high that you want. I condone the legalization of pot, because of it's non addictive quality, and relatively harmless nature on a persons health. That doesn't come with oth other illicit drugs.
TheRealVille Wrote:Not, it's not. What makes a gateway drug, is a drug that leads to other drug use. To lead to other drug use, you have to be able to get the same drugs at the same dealer, or get so immune to the effects of one drug, that you have to move on to another drug to continue to get the high that you want. I condone the legalization of pot, because of it's non addictive quality, and relatively harmless nature on a persons health. That doesn't come with oth other illicet drugs.
So all drug dealers sell cocaine and heroin? I think not. I also do not believe that you should have any say over what drugs that I believe are harmless or not harmless. What difference does it make whether or not a drug is addictive or not, if the user can hold down a job and pay taxes? That is far more than many heavy users of marijuana manage to do.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:So all drug dealers sell cocaine and heroin? I think not. I also do not believe that you should have any say over what drugs that I believe are harmless or not harmless. What difference does it make whether or not a drug is addictive or not, if the user can hold down a job and pay taxes? That is far more than many heavy users of marijuana manage to do.
Most do, but no, not all. Medical evidence has the say over what drugs are harmless, not you or me. Most medical people say pot is relatively harmless. If your theory is correct, cigarettes and alcohol are drugs that lead to pot use, as most pot users used cigarettes and alcohol first. Are you going to twist words around? If so, I'll say you win this debate. :igiveup:
I bought my first bag of pot when I was 15 years old. The dealer didn't ask my age then, and they don't now. Dealers don't ID. Just sayin.....
TheRealVille Wrote:Most do, but no, not all. Medical evidence has the say over what drugs are harmless, not you or me. Most medical people say pot is relatively harmless. If your theory is correct, cigarettes and alcohol are drugs that lead to pot use, as most pot users used cigarettes and alcohol first. Are you going to twist words around? If so, I'll say you win this debate. :igiveup:
Why is it that every time you lose a debate, you say that somebody has twisted words around or lied?

You said that marijuana is not a gateway drug, yet admitted that in many cases the same dealers sell both marijuana and harder drugs, and that those dealers encourage buyers to try their other products. That certainly sounds like a point that supports the proposition that marijuana use is a gateway to the use of other drugs to me. The demand for cocaine, heroin, and other drugs will not evaporate if marijuana is legalized, any more than the legal sale of alcohol suppresses the illegal trade in marijuana.

However, I agree with you. I win this debate. You were practically a no-show. Confusednicker:
TheRealVille Wrote:I bought my first bag of pot when I was 15 years old. The dealer didn't ask my age then, and they don't now. Dealers don't ID. Just sayin.....
If marijuana sales are legalized, licensed dealers will ask for IDs, just as they do before serving alcohol to minors. To the extent that teenagers buy marijuana, they will be breaking the law, just as they are now. Legalization will not change that fact. When you start breaking drug laws, it becomes a little easier to break another, and another, and so on.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If marijuana sales are legalized, licensed dealers will ask for IDs, just as they do before serving alcohol to minors. To the extent that teenagers buy marijuana, they will be breaking the law, just as they are now. Legalization will not change that fact. When you start breaking drug laws, it becomes a little easier to break another, and another, and so on.
Exactly. In legalization, minors can't buy off of legal sales places, at least as easy as they do now. Just like alcohol, the place that sells to minors would take a chance of losing their license, if they sell to minors. Yes, it changes the fact, if it is harder to find someone to sell to a minor. That much isn't hard to figure Hoot, and a lot harder to spin.
This is a never ending merry go round with you Hoot. You will never not think you aren't right about every topic. It's pre programmed into your DNA. Generations before you passed this DNA to you, and you can't help it. Good day, sir. I'll converse with others, but not you, and TRT on this topic.
TheRealVille Wrote:This is a never ending merry go round with you Hoot. You will never not think you aren't right about every topic. It's pre programmed into your DNA. Generations before you passed this DNA to you, and you can't help it. Good day, sir. I'll converse with others, but not you, and TRT on this topic.
Good luck finding somebody with whom you can hold your own in a debate, TRV. You will need it.

Legal alcohol sales has not made it hard for minors to get their hands on alcohol and it will not make it any harder for a 15 year-old to get his hands on weed. There will always be adults who see no problem helping some kid score some drugs, just as there is no shortage of adults willing to help teenagers get their hands on alcohol. You know that I am right, but you just cannot bring yourself to admit it.

Your circular logic has failed you once again.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Good luck finding somebody with whom you can hold your own in a debate, TRV. You will need it.

Legal alcohol sales has not made it hard for minors to get their hands on alcohol and it will not make it any harder for a 15 year-old to get his hands on weed. There will always be adults who see no problem helping some kid score some drugs, just as there is no shortage of adults willing to help teenagers get their hands on alcohol. You know that I am right, but you just cannot bring yourself to admit it.

Your circular logic has failed you once again.
Your 3rd generation "know it all" status has reared it's head again. Do you favor making alcohol illegal now? Maybe tobacco also? Again, for the last time, good day. I won't continue to let you suck me into your vortex.
TheRealVille Wrote:Your 3rd generation "know it all" status has reared it's head again. Do you favor making alcohol illegal now? Maybe tobacco also? Again, for the last time, good day. I won't continue to let you suck me into your vortex.
Your reading comprehension problem (or is it simply deliberate distortion on your part?) continues to amaze me. I never said anything about making alcohol or tobacco illegal. What I oppose is imposing regressive taxes on legal products. These taxes harm the children of poor families more than any other group, yet liberals like you think that they are a great way to raise taxes and to discourage people from smoking and drinking. Instead, their kids go hungry so the parents can afford the artificially high costs of beer and cigarettes.

You are certainly a sore loser, RV. I would appreciate it if you would not enter my votex until you have upped your game a little bit. It is tough to navigate without a paddle. Confusednicker:
There will always be people that feel the need to control what others do...kind of like those who don't say a thing about alcohol, but wen marijuana comes up, they lose their minds. Just have to deal with it I guess.

This will spread to other states, it's inevitable.
vundy33 Wrote:There will always be people that feel the need to control what others do...kind of like those who don't say a thing about alcohol, but wen marijuana comes up, they lose their minds. Just have to deal with it I guess.

This will spread to other states, it's inevitable.
Hopefully you are right.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Your reading comprehension problem (or is it simply deliberate distortion on your part?) continues to amaze me. I never said anything about making alcohol or tobacco illegal. What I oppose is imposing regressive taxes on legal products. These taxes harm the children of poor families more than any other group, yet liberals like you think that they are a great way to raise taxes and to discourage people from smoking and drinking. Instead, their kids go hungry so the parents can afford the artificially high costs of beer and cigarettes.

You are certainly a sore loser, RV. I would appreciate it if you would not enter my votex until you have upped your game a little bit. It is tough to navigate without a paddle. Confusednicker:
Did your dad and grandpa teach you that?
I just don't see how the negatives come anywhere close to the positives. I'd rather see alcohol outlawed than marijuana, even though I pretty much never smoke anymore and I love my bourbon. If people looked at it more seriously, or if it was harder for kids to get, one of the best buds I've ever had night still be here, never know.

I'd like to see a crackdown on alcohol sales by the DEA/whoever else was involved like they've done on tobacco sales for the last year or so. Might be already, not sure..don't really buy mine enough to notice.
TheRealVille Wrote:Did your dad and grandpa teach you that?
I don't know what you think you know about my family, RV, but it is really classless for you to make references to them. Of course, I am never surprised at the depths to which you stoop. People like you are destroying this country with your ignorance.
vundy33 Wrote:I just don't see how the negatives come anywhere close to the positives. I'd rather see alcohol outlawed than marijuana, even though I pretty much never smoke anymore and I love my bourbon. If people looked at it more seriously, or if it was harder for kids to get, one of the best buds I've ever had night still be here, never know.

I'd like to see a crackdown on alcohol sales by the DEA/whoever else was involved like they've done on tobacco sales for the last year or so. Might be already, not sure..don't really buy mine enough to notice.
If there is a demand for a product, then it will be available. People are going to have their vices one way or another. I don't have a problem with alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, or gambling being legal, but the state should treat those businesses like any other legal business by charging the same sales tax, without regard to the product. It makes no sense to make a product legal and then try to justify higher taxes on it to (allegedly) discourage its purchase.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't know what you think you know about my family, RV, but it is really classless for you to make references to them. Of course, I am never surprised at the depths to which you stoop. People like you are destroying this country with your ignorance.
Just wondering if your "know it all, can't be wrong" attitude comes down the line?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If there is a demand for a product, then it will be available. People are going to have their vices one way or another. I don't have a problem with alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, or gambling being legal, but the state should treat those businesses like any other legal business by charging the same sales tax, without regard to the product.[B] It makes no sense to make a product legal and then try to justify higher taxes on it to (allegedly) discourage its purchase.[/B]
Who said it would be the way you state?
TheRealVille Wrote:Just wondering if your "know it all, can't be wrong" attitude comes down the line?
Like I said, you are a sore loser, RV. You lose debate after debate in this forum and you react by resorting to name calling, or just change the subject. Everybody knows it, including you - but trying to drag my family into a debate is a new low for you. If you don't like being wrong so often, then do your homework before you jump into debates with both feet.

As for the debate on the OP, there really can be no winner or loser because whether marijuana use should be legal or not is just a matter of opinion. Neither you nor I can prove that it should be legal and TRT cannot prove that it should not be legal. The fact that you are a weed smoker does not give your opinion any more validity than anybody else's.

The debate that you did lose was whether marijuana is a gateway to more dangerous drugs - and you lost it because you failed to acknowledge that it is easier psychologically for a person who has already broken a law to use one illegal drug to break another to use a more powerful drug. Nobody claimed that most, or every marijuana user would graduate to cocaine, heroin, or LSD. Nor do I recall anybody claiming that marijuana is physically addictive - yet you made the fact that marijuana is not addictive the cornerstone of your argument.

Then you made the argument that marijuana users find it easier to move to harder drugs because the same dealers sell different drugs - a point which weakened your own argument. You may believe that legalizing marijuana will make it harder for under aged users to obtain it, but that has not been the case with alcohol.

The scary thing to me is that you make the best arguments in this forum of any liberal who posts here. You could probably step right into an Obama cabinet post and not screw things up any worse than your predecessor. Confusednicker:
TheRealVille Wrote:Who said it would be the way you state?
Would in the post above is meant to be wouldn't.
Why exactly is marijuana illegal? Other than the fact that a law was passed, what about the drug, when compared to prescription meds, alcohol, and tobacco makes it so much worse?

Don't give me the gateway BS. Studies have disproven that. There are no studies that show that marijuana has any ill effects on the human body.

However, the blood pressure pills, anxiety meds and other drugs are much harder on your body or have more addictive qualities than pot. Hell, SSRI's which are given out like candy on halloween can cause severe side effects. Tylenol and Ibuprofen are harder on your body than marijuana.

The same can not be said about Cocaine, heroin, and other "hard" street drugs when it comes to the ill effects on the human body, let alone their addictive nature.
TheRealVille Wrote::thatsfunn Biased much? I have smoked on and off for 30 years, and can, and do hold down a job, and stay straight anytime I want. Who get's to decide if my behavior is bad, you?

LOL, yeah me, and well, these guys too I guess---
"Marijuana possession, sale, and manufacture are regulated by both state and federal law. In Kentucky, marijuana is classified as a Schedule I substance, which means that it has a high potential for abuse and no recognized medical value. (Ken. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 218A.050.) While not covered in this article, it is also a crime to drive under the influence of marijuana in Kentucky.
For information about charges and penalties for driving under the influence of marijuana in Kentucky, see Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana in Kentucky.

Marijuana Possession

It is a crime to possess any amount marijuana (including small amounts for personal use) in Kentucky. Violations are a class B misdemeanor, punishable with a fine of up to $250, up to 45 days in jail, or both. (Ken. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 218A.1422.)"
http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/mar...ntucky.htm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^^^Such a waste of our money...
If pot is legalized......this is our future...

TheRealVille Wrote:Not, it's not. What makes a gateway drug, is a drug that leads to other drug use. To lead to other drug use, you have to be able to get the same drugs at the same dealer, or get so immune to the effects of one drug, that you have to move on to another drug to continue to get the high that you want. I condone the legalization of pot, because of it's non addictive quality, and relatively harmless nature on a persons health. That doesn't come with oth other illicit drugs.

Not all of this is true. Some of the people I k ow who deal pot tend to stay away from the other drugs. Unless its a special occasion or something. As far as being a gateway that argument holds some merit. However I know people who smoke pot but won't touch a cigarette. While some smoke and don't drink. Then I know a few who use hard stuff and won't touh anything else. It's a rotating door of possibilities. But everyone I know who does pot with other drugs like the two together. They all say that pot enhances their high. So it can be a gateway drug AND it can not be a gateway drug. Everyone is different
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next