Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville Central 14 Bell County 10
^^^ Quoted wrong post .
Crossbones Wrote:Totally agree! But I think he was talking about the fashion in which they have done it. Central has had teams compete with them compared to years past when they have not. Usually Central has blown out the competition and this year they have had to work a little harder for it thou. Still the class of 3A thou, IMO.
This quote to my last response
It's the magic of log mountain. I tried telling you all that wasn't going to phase central. I hate to see anyone's hopes crushed. Bell sounds like a good team, I just think sometimes people over there get too carried away with this magical mountain thing. Better luck next yr and remember its about the program not the location.
Coachdad Wrote:Your coming back down to earth is different than most people. 48-1 is domination ! :please:

The fact that EKY teams are playing you really close, and even having a chance to win, IMO says something.
I was referring to the fact that for the last 3 or 4 years, everybody already penciled Central in to win the state before the season even started.
Every team eventually loses.
Confusednicker:
mysonis55 Wrote:It's the magic of log mountain. I tried telling you all that wasn't going to phase central. I hate to see anyone's hopes crushed. Bell sounds like a good team, I just think sometimes people over there get too carried away with this magical mountain thing. Better luck next yr and remember its about the program not the location.
"magical mountain" u so crazy !Confusednicker:
From what i seen tonight, Central is a very well coached team. Bell was having some success in the first half with the runs up the middle. Central came out the 2nd half and pretty much stopped that. If you make mistakes against Central they will make you pay for that by putting points on the board. Central executes at all phases of the game well and last years Central team had more speed, especially at running back. But still yet a very good team and if anyone does beat Central, this year or next, has to have NO TURNOVERS.
The coaching staff at Central knows the game very well and how to get there players in the right position to make you make mistakes. I'm very impressed by the coaching staff, players and fans at Central.
C'mon dude everybody has "a chance" that's why they play the game.
Grads Bell for a good year was really pulling for u guys! Hope you guys come support us, we at HC was rooting for u all to go to state. Good season and good luck next year from black bear nation!
Thank you sir . I didn't make it but how was our turnout ?
Coachdad Wrote:Thank you sir . I didn't make it but how was our turnout ?
I would say Central had a pretty good crowd tonight, probably around 100. With the length of the trip, imo, is a very good turnout. I talked to some of the Central fans and it was about a 3 1/2 hour trip.
Coachdad, I'd say Central had about the same amount of fans tonight as we had last year when we came to Central.
BELLBOBCATS Wrote:I would say Central had a pretty good crowd tonight, probably around 100. With the length of the trip, imo, is a very good turnout. I talked to some of the Central fans and it was about a 3 1/2 hour trip.
That's pretty good , I've been to Paducah & we had several hundred as we did @ Boyle years ago. But Boyle is not that far comparitavley.
Coachdad Wrote:That's pretty good , I've been to Paducah & we had several hundred as we did @ Boyle years ago. But Boyle is not that far comparitavley.
Central had a pretty good crowd tonight. Next week I think you have a home game. Your team is going to be hard to beat imo throughout the playoffs, really doesn't matter where they play, your guys just play football the way it should be played.
LOG MOUNTAIN — A pair of one-play drives, touchdown runs of 43 and 17 yards by Deris Cox, gave Louisville Central all the offense they needed to escape with a 14-10 win over Bell County in Friday’s Class 3A regional championship game.

Hayden Gilbert’s 21-yard field goal put the Bobcats up 10-7 just before halftime and both defenses held the other team at bay until early in the fourth quarter.

Central’s Jajuan Hailey brought pressure on a Bell punt and either tipped it or forced Gilbert into hitting a pop up. Demontre Boyd scooped up the bouncing ball just five yards past the line of scrimmage and returned it nine yards to the Bobcat 17. Cox scored from there on the very next play and the Yellow Jackets made the 14-10 lead hold up over the final 10:24.

“I think it was more of a shanked punt, I don’t think we blocked it,” said Jacket coach Tyrann Scroggins. “Demontre Boyd just made a heads up play. He’s a senior and he didn’t want to lose so he saw that ball in front of him and tried to make a play. That was a big turnaround for us.”

Bobcat coach Wayne Mills agreed.

“You can’t give a good team like that a short field and opportunities like that. One play will hurt you in this business,” he said. “I’m so proud of our kids. I’m hurt for them right now because they’ve worked so hard. They wanted this thing, but sometimes in life you come up short. We just have to go back to work again.”

Bell County got off to a great start in the game. They forced a quick three-and-out and then marched 65 yards on ten plays to take a 7-0 lead.

Senior running back Jonathan Polly ran it six times for 43 yards on the drive and junior Austin Caldwell capped it with a six-yard touchdown run. Gilbert’s kick made it 7-0 with 5:30 to play in the opening quarter.

Following an exchange of possessions, Central got the ball at the Bell 43 and Cox found a seam on a trap play off left guard and went 43 yards for a touchdown. Idriss Kera’s kick tied the score at seven at the 1:31 mark of the first quarter.

The Bobcats were driving and picked up a first down on a 3-yard run from D.J. Warwick on the final play of the period. But on the first play of the second, the Jackets sent the house on an A-gap blitz and forced a fumble on the snap. Dominique Howard recovered at the Bell 32.

Central got as far as the five yard line, but on 3rd and two they were called for holding plus an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that pushed the ball all the way back to the 34. Polly broke up the third down pass and the Bobcats took over after a punt to the 12.

Bell ate up much of the rest of the quarter and flipped the field position with another 10-play drive out to the 44. Gilbert’s punt along with terrific coverage from Dylan Cox pinned the Jackets back at their 22 with 1:50 remaining in the half.

William Elliott sacked Sydney Tedford for a loss of nine and a false start pushed Central back to their own 9-yard line.

Polly returned a punt 12 yards to the Jacket 37 as the clocked ticked under a minute. Peyton Collett scrambled for nine yards, then spiked the ball. Polly ran for four and then 12 yards for a pair of first downs. He took the next hand off for five yards and was tackled by his facemask at the eight-yard line. The penalty moved the ball to the four with 6.1 seconds on the clock and Gilbert came on and hit his 21-yard field goal for a 10-7 Bobcat lead.

“We went in at halftime and they had the ball almost 18 minutes and we had it maybe seven. They doubled the amount of time we had the football. We shot ourselves down at the goal line with a holding penalty and then a stupid unsportsmanlike conduct,” Scroggins said. “Bell County’s a heck of a team. They run the ball, they’re big, they block well, they do the right things.”

Both defenses held up well in the second half. The Bobcats went three-and-out on the opening drive of the third quarter and then stopped Central on 4th and short near midfield. Bell was driving later in the quarter but lost a fumble again thanks to that blitz right up the gut. This time Mashile Dozier came away with the lose ball.

“They’ve won four state championships in five years and our kids played toe-to-toe with them,” Mills said. “Coming out of halftime I really thought our kids believed and we were going to win. But again if you make mistakes in big ballgames it’s going to cost you and it did tonight.”

Central picked up a first down and then went to the air. Tedford hit Cox for an 11-yard gain, but Gilbert was there and just took the ball away from him as he came down with it. It was officially called a fumble recovery, but could have easily been an interception and the Bobcats took over at the 32.

Neither team was able to breakthrough until the Jackets got that 17-yard touchdown run from Cox. Cox finished with 150 yards on 21 carries. Along with that 11-yard reception he accounted for 161 of the Jackets 165 total yards. Cox was also instrumental in helping Central keep the clock rolling as he ran it six straight times on their one possession after they took the lead.

“Our offensive line coach is always in my ear: Feed him, feed him, feed him. He really wants the offensive line to get all that glory,” Scroggins said. “He said just keep turning around and give Deris the ball and good things will happen when he runs right and we make the correct blocks.”

Bell got the ball at their own 20 with 4:11 to play and Polly blasted through the line for four big yards on a 4th and one play. But the next play Dozier came in and sacked Collett for a loss of ten. On 3rd and 20, Collett hooked up with Dylan Cox for a 16-yard gain but the Bobcats final run was stopped short of the first down and Central ran out the clock.

Polly led the Bobcats with 134 yards on 31 carries. Caldwell added six runs for 25 yards and Ryan Collett nine for 26. In all Bell County gained 192 rushing yards on 52 carries.

“(Polly) is a great runner. On our scouting report is says we’ve got to know where 5 is at all times. He did some things that was uncharacteristic of us because we couldn’t tackle him. It wasn’t that he was outrunning us, he was just a hard-nosed running back,” Scroggins added.

Bell County ends the season with a record of 10-3. It was the final game for their 18 seniors.

“In my 18 years of coaching this has been the best group I’ve seen as far as just togetherness and family, playing hard for each other and going to class. They’re character kids and they’re definitely a mentor for the younger kids and we can use them as an example for a long time,” Mills said. “I’m proud of our fans. They came out in droves and got behind our team. We came up short, it’s the worst feeling and it hits you right in the gut. This one will hurt for a while.”

Central (11-2) advances to host Monroe County in next week’s state semifinals.

“I said at the beginning of the year this is the best team I’ve had in six years. We’ve won four state championships so that says a whole lot for these guys,” Scroggins said. “We don’t have a superstar on this team, we don’t have an Anthony Wales, Ridge Wilson or Tim Patterson — those guys are in college and doing some things. We just have 107 kids that want to go out and and play and do the right things for the team. They believe in the system and good things happen.”

— — —

Lou. Central7007 — 14

Bell County7300 — 10

BC- Austin Caldwell 6 run (Hayden Gilbert kick) 5:30 1st Q

LC- Deris Cox 43 run (Idriss Kera kick) 1:31 1st Q

BC- Gilbert 21 FG :05 2nd Q

LC- Cox 17 run (Kera kick) 10:24 4th Q

— — —

RUSHING — LC (30-154): Deris Cox 23-150, Darren Powell 2-8, Sydney Tedford 5-(-4); BELL (52-192): Jonathan Polly 31-134, Ryan Collett 9-26, Austin Caldwell 6-25, Peyton Collett 5-4, D.J. Warwick 1-3

PASSING — LC: Tedford 1-6-0-11; BELL: PCollett 1-3-0-16

RECEIVING — LC: Cox 1-11; BELL: Dylan Cox 1-16

First Downs- LC: 4, BC: 10

Penalties-Yards — LC: 10-69, BELL: 3-20

Fumbles-Lost — LC: 2-1, BELL 2-2

Read more: The Middlesboro Daily News - Central gets past Bobcats 14 10
How will losing 18 seniors hurt Bell next year?
Major rebuilding year?
Nice job Central in your win. Well coached and good execution. It's a shame your fan base is only interested in the "big games" that don't involve any little ole 3A teams. I'll repost my quote from the previous thread:

Originally Posted by Coachdad
Tell that to Trinity or X. SMH or even central @ home., but we don't come out that much for a 3A opponent . Would you if you had one loss in 6 years? & should bell county pull it off tonight , that still only makes two in SIX years.

:dudecomeon:

I would come out if we had only 1 win in six years. I actually care about the kids, the program, the coaches, the fans, the school, the MOUNTAINS. Cause that's where it's at. I could care less about the big city. Compare our crime rate and any other statistic to the "big city" and you'll see the difference good ole home town pride and family produces. :flame: (coach dad)

You kids deserve a better fan base. You know where you can stick that horn you manage to "toot" on here all the time coach dad.:moon:

Nice job Bobcats.
Coachdad if you want to start that crap again about why you lost to Tilghman, the Tilghman team Central beat in 2010 was without four starters. But we just say we lost that game, not that we should have won it. Tilghman brought way more fans to Louisville than Central had. And I thought we resolved that year when I posted pictures of your tiny home crowds. You got sort of quiet after that. I can post them again if you want.
johnnyd Wrote:You didn't win a game with this magnitude without him.

The win against Wayne County was pretty impressive.....in fact more impressive than Central's....
Coachdad Wrote:They plays up 3 classes every regular season , & the last time central & highlands played the bluebirds nipped the jackets 21-13 with the jackets surrendering 21 point in the 4th after being up 13-0 most of the game.

Sorry to jack the thread, but the last time Highlands played Central was in 08 and Highlands won 28-0. The game you referenced was in 07.

Sounds like the Central Bell game was one heck of a game. Congrats to both teams.
Surprised. Reallly thought Bell would win this at home. I wish both these teams would have stayed in 4A and some of the weak 4A teams played down. Would make for better football.
Bear_Paw Wrote:The win against Wayne County was pretty impressive.....in fact more impressive than Central's....

Were you at the game? Or are you comparing scores?
Congrats to the Kings...they continue their reign!

The Prince of 3A football is just hoping they get one more assassination attempt this year after coming oh so close last year. Big Grin

Much respect to the Yellowjackets and specifically to Ty Scroggins who I think should be considered as one of the truly elite coaches in the State of Kentucky.
mysonis55 Wrote:It's the magic of log mountain. I tried telling you all that wasn't going to phase central. I hate to see anyone's hopes crushed. Bell sounds like a good team, I just think sometimes people over there get too carried away with this magical mountain thing. Better luck next yr and remember its about the program not the location.
Good point sir, but IMO if a fella by the last name of Hilton had still been on the sidelines in this one Central would have went back to the River City packing a LOSS!!! I guess at the same time, I know what they say about IF'S!
Southeast Bluegrass Wrote:Nice job Central in your win. Well coached and good execution. It's a shame your fan base is only interested in the "big games" that don't involve any little ole 3A teams. I'll repost my quote from the previous thread:

Originally Posted by Coachdad
Tell that to Trinity or X. SMH or even central @ home., but we don't come out that much for a 3A opponent . Would you if you had one loss in 6 years? & should bell county pull it off tonight , that still only makes two in SIX years.

:dudecomeon:

I would come out if we had only 1 win in six years. I actually care about the kids, the program, the coaches, the fans, the school, the MOUNTAINS. Cause that's where it's at. I could care less about the big city. Compare our crime rate and any other statistic to the "big city" and you'll see the difference good ole home town pride and family produces. :flame: (coach dad)

You kids deserve a better fan base. You know where you can stick that horn you manage to "toot" on here all the time coach dad.:moon:

Nice job Bobcats.
Still saying we don't travel ?????after everybody who was @ the game said we DID !!!!!SMH !!!!!!p-a-t-h-e-t-I -c !!!!
I didn't come on here & gloat I gave praise to bell county that's what class will do for you !
Tica why don't you come to central and snap pics when we play , ballard , male , manual , PRP , St X ect ect. Did you see the charter buses that Central rides to away games ? Did you see the 107 players dressed on the sideline? We have 6 different uniforms , all that takes a lot of money !! You know where we get all that money ?????? It's at our gate for home games during the regular season,
Central was established in 1882 and in Jefferson county busing starts in 1973 , we have an older (very proud) alumni base that represents Louisville Central & the African American community !! ALL THE HOME GAMES TO IN-city opponents are STANDING ROOM ONLY !!!! I dont have to make all this up just to appease you Tica! I wasn't trying to put Tilgman down ! U seem like a decent person sensitive yet sensible person , but your having 4 starters out compared to having the states number one football prospect out is like comparing apples to peanuts!
black bear cuz Wrote:good point sir, but imo if a fella by the last name of hilton had still been on the sidelines in this one central would have went back to the river city packing a loss!!! I guess at the same time, i know what they say about if's!
smh that's not losing graciously. Don't want me to start with the ifs !!!!
Sounds like a tough game. As a Highlands fan, I always root for Bell. Hope to see Bell back in the finals next year.
Coachdad Wrote:smh that's not losing graciously. Don't want me to start with the ifs !!!!
Good game Bell talk to you all later, bout to throw on a nice fit, get my Caddy waxed , go get a deep fried Cajun turkey from popeyes, slide by the mall for a bit, come home, hit the remote to my 64" high def tv,& root for Cincy to beat Rutgers !!!!
Wow ... Closer than I thought. But I guess central's off was a little slower without the starting QB and made this one close.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:How will losing 18 seniors hurt Bell next year?
Major rebuilding year?

I think Bell will be fine. I look for a big improvement throwing the ball from QB Collett in his Soph. year. A pretty good freshman class came in this year that will see a lot of field time next year and surprise some people. Austin Caldwell is a heck of a running back and will more than likely be the starter next year as a junior. Corey Swanner and Chase Woolum are two players to really be excited about, along with Dylan Cox who is just going to be a junior. I'm excited to see the Muncy kid hopefully play some next year, kid can flat out fly. There's excitement around the program. Might be a rough start but ultimately i look to be in this same game next year.