Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Panther Football - A Night of Champions! (Preview Video Added)
I apologize if someone has already started a thread for this week's Phelps - Pikeville game, but this will be a special night and I wanted to get the word out to all Pikeville fans so that we can have a big crowd Friday night. First off, it's Senior night, so please come out and support them. But we're also having a special recognition ceremony for two of Pikeville's all-time greatest teams. The 1972 team (40th anniversary), which was the first Pikeville football team to compete for a State Title. They were the first to make the playoffs, first to win a playoff game, and made it all the way to old Stoll Field, UK's stadium prior to Commonwealth. Great players like Chuck Huffman, Ray Haley, Jimmy Newsome, Mike Ely, Denis Ratliff, Ronnie Honaker, Eugene Johnson, Ikey Ritchie, Steve Herring, Kevin McAnallen, Steve Shockey (sadly I listed those without having to look at any reference material). Also, the 25th anniversary of the 1987 State Champions. Lot of special presentations & gifts at halftime, free dinner pregame for the players and families, a special 42-page insert inside the game program with photos and articles from these two special teams. Pikeville fans, lets honor our great history by coming out and showing these former players that we're proud of the way they represented the Maroon and White!

Edit: PT here, hope you don't mind this edit:

Go Panthers!
very good Live Maroon. I remember those names listed and when they made it to State. It was an exciting time in Pikeville. The whole community got behind that team. Hard to believe 25 yrs. have passed since the 1st Sate Championship(1987).
Live out of State now, but would be there for the game if i was still in Pike Co.
We're excited to be doing this. The `72 team was the first team I paid attention to. Those guys were like rock stars to us kids then. And, of course, the `87 team just took it to another level. It's going to be a great evening. I hope those guys truly feel "honored" when it's over, they deserve it.
Live Maroon Wrote:I apologize if someone has already started a thread for this week's Phelps - Pikeville game, but this will be a special night and I wanted to get the word out to all Pikeville fans so that we can have a big crowd Friday night. First off, it's Senior night, so please come out and support them. But we're also having a special recognition ceremony for two of Pikeville's all-time greatest teams. The 1972 team (40th anniversary), which was the first Pikeville football team to compete for a State Title. They were the first to make the playoffs, first to win a playoff game, and made it all the way to old Stoll Field, UK's stadium prior to Commonwealth. Great players like Chuck Huffman, Ray Haley, Jimmy Newsome, Mike Ely, Denis Ratliff, Ronnie Honaker, Eugene Johnson, Ikey Ritchie, Steve Herring, Kevin McAnallen, Steve Shockey (sadly I listed those without having to look at any reference material). Also, the 25th anniversary of the 1987 State Champions. Lot of special presentations & gifts at halftime, free dinner pregame for the players and families, a special 42-page insert inside the game program with photos and articles from these two special teams. Pikeville fans, lets honor our great history by coming out and showing these former players that we're proud of the way they represented the Maroon and White!
Certainly hope PikeTV covers this game(half time ceremonies). Would be great for those unable to attend.
I'll talk to them and see if they'll do it. Great idea.
Hey Big Five-0, I spoke with Pike TV this morning. They said they would make every effort to cover the halftime ceremony. Their concern is the potential lack of sound as we'll have presenters making speeches on the field. If EKB carries it on radio, they're fine. If not, we may have to figure out something where they can get a field mic, too. I'll let you know as I hear.
Many thanks! Hopefully, others may benefit from this as well.:Thumbs:

Get ready to meet Panther Legends! HAIL PIKEVILLE
Thats a really cool video.. and it's neat to see how the field and area have changed in the past 40 years..
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
love it!!!!
Not a Pikeville fan by any means but that video is pretty cool, and it should be a lot of fun to have all those former players there for one night.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Just received a note from Pike TV - all audio issues have been cleared and Pike TV WILL be covering the halftime festivities with sound!!! A BIG Thank You to Al, Eric, Ronnie and all the guys at Pike TV for going the extra mile on this!!!!
Live Maroon Wrote:Just received a note from Pike TV - all audio issues have been cleared and Pike TV WILL be covering the halftime festivities with sound!!! A BIG Thank You to Al, Eric, Ronnie and all the guys at Pike TV for going the extra mile on this!!!!

This is greatnews. Thanks!
crazytaxidriver Wrote:Thats a really cool video.. and it's neat to see how the field and area have changed in the past 40 years..
In 1972, Pikeville actually was in a process of getting a new field. So, they played most of their games at Johns Creek.