Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WYMT Sports Overtime Mountain Top Ten 8/20
West 80 Wrote:Does Belfry play Harlan Co? Would they play either Bell or Harlan Co in regular,season?

Belfry will not play Harlan County. Not saying they are dodging anyone, probably just don't want to make the trip. Harlan County has four games for next year as of right now. Bell County is the only non-district team in the mountains that will play them.
That's a good question. You would think Belfry would want to play Harlan County and Bell County. I know Harlan County is having trouble finding games for next year.
HDE Wrote:That's a good question. You would think Belfry would want to play Harlan County and Bell County. I know Harlan County is having trouble finding games for next year.

Bell Co has problems all the time scheduling the other great teams of the Mtns. That's why we have played in Lexington (Lex Cath, Lafayette and Bryan Station), Marion Co Bowl (Marion Co and Madison Central), teams down in Tenn (Volunteer High, Soddy Daisy, and Alcoa) and Lincoln Co Bowl for regular season games.
HDE Wrote:That's a good question. You would think Belfry would want to play Harlan County and Bell County. I know Harlan County is having trouble finding games for next year.

Have they asked Belfry? I would love to see Bell vs. belfry in the regular season, but Haywood has always avoided trying to play non-district games against a team he could forseeably meet again in the playoffs.

It's not like Belfry is playing a creampuff non-district schedule by any means and ducking competition.

If Whitley wasn't "up" this year you could argue Belfry's non-district slate was the toughest of the three.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Have they asked Belfry? I would love to see Bell vs. belfry in the regular season, but Haywood has always avoided trying to play non-district games against a team he could forseeably meet again in the playoffs.

It's not like Belfry is playing a creampuff non-district schedule by any means and ducking competition.

If Whitley wasn't "up" this year you could argue Belfry's non-district slate was the toughest of the three.

I would give anything to see a Bell Co and Belfry Home and Home series start up even if we met at State. :1: Could you imagine the turnout at Pond Creek and Log Mtn for these games?
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:I would give anything to see a Bell Co and Belfry Home and Home series start up even if we met at State. :1: Could you imagine the turnout at Pond Creek and Log Mtn for these games?

I may be selfish, but I hope we get one Belfry vs. Bell Championship matchup...then after that they can realign the districts so there is a better chance of them meeting either in the Regional Finals or State Semi's.

I predict a Bell vs. Belfry Championship game would be the 2nd Highest Attendance in Bowling Green behind 6A.
My opinion, Like I said before, a loss is a loss. This is a ranking of the top 10 teams in the mountains, Right? Well, playing a mountain team or a city team, win or loss still goes on the record. Therefore, as of right now Bell and Harlan Co. has 1 more loss than what Belfry does and should have dropped. Now I know some people will probably get mad over this but its just my opinion. Everybody has one.
skully03 Wrote:My opinion, Like I said before, a loss is a loss. This is a ranking of the top 10 teams in the mountains, Right? Well, playing a mountain team or a city team, win or loss still goes on the record. Therefore, as of right now Bell and Harlan Co. has 1 more loss than what Belfry does and should have dropped. Now I know some people will probably get mad over this but its just my opinion. Everybody has one.

Belfry isn't Bell Co. plan and simple:rockon:
Simple it you loss you drop. How far you drop depend on who you played and how you lost. Bell played a good LC team close, that why I only dropped them one spot. If you can loss and not drop why have a poll, just have Bell be # 1. (I do not mean to disrespect Bell they may be the best team in the mt. ) Best team does not mean # 1 ranking. # 1 ranking is the team that plays the best and wins the most. This is nothing new been this way since polls started.
Posted by skully03: "My opinion, Like I said before, a loss is a loss. This is a ranking of the top 10 teams in the mountains, Right? Well, playing a mountain team or a city team, win or loss still goes on the record. Therefore, as of right now Bell and Harlan Co. has 1 more loss than what Belfry does and should have dropped. Now I know some people will probably get mad over this but its just my opinion. Everybody has one."

Bell County and Harlan County also have the same amount of wins as Belfry. So what does that mean?
:biggrin:Thank goodness...shewww!!!!
A poll has nothing to do with anything. It is just for people to have an idea of this stuff. If the 10th ranked team loses to the 1st ranked team the 10th ranked team drops out of the poll. But let's be honest for a minute and ask ourselves a question. Did that loss really open our eyes to anything we didn't know to begin with? We already knew the other team was better so why do they drop down. A poll shows you who is good but it will never be perfect but you will also never please you geniuses.
I thought Belfry and Bell were the same!!!!!
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Posted by skully03: "My opinion, Like I said before, a loss is a loss. This is a ranking of the top 10 teams in the mountains, Right? Well, playing a mountain team or a city team, win or loss still goes on the record. Therefore, as of right now Bell and Harlan Co. has 1 more loss than what Belfry does and should have dropped. Now I know some people will probably get mad over this but its just my opinion. Everybody has one."

Bell County and Harlan County also have the same amount of wins as Belfry. So what does that mean?

Breathitt, Williamsburg, Johnson Central, Somerset, Corbin, and for that matter Jenkins all have more wins and fewer losses then Harlan County and Bell.

BY that logic I guess all those teams should be ranked ahead of not only those 0-1 Bobcats and Black Bears, but also Belfry and Hazard, huh?
Confusedhh:

Personally I could care less about the Mountain Top 10. I have said it before and will say it again, the only thing the Mountain Top 10 gives anyone is bragging rights based on a completely subjective poll and a bigger target on the chests. The only #1 I care about being in front of Belfry's name right now is the seed for the district going into the playoffs so they host until Bowling Green.

I won't lie though, I do enjoy when Belfry finishes ahead of most of these teams when the last one of these is released after Week 15.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Breathitt, Williamsburg, Johnson Central, Somerset, Corbin, and for that matter Jenkins all have more wins and fewer losses then Harlan County and Bell.

BY that logic I guess all those teams should be ranked ahead of not only those 0-1 Bobcats and Black Bears, but also Belfry and Hazard, huh?
Confusedhh:

Personally I could care less about the Mountain Top 10. I have said it before and will say it again, the only thing the Mountain Top 10 gives anyone is bragging rights based on a completely subjective poll and a bigger target on the chests. The only #1 I care about being in front of Belfry's name right now is the seed for the district going into the playoffs so they host until Bowling Green.

I won't lie though, I do enjoy when Belfry finishes ahead of most of these teams when the last one of these is released after Week 15.
Maybe so, Breathitt and all of those teams deserve a little attention beore Belfry, Bell and the other powerhouses steal all the spotlight. LOL!
tmdlap36a Wrote:Belfry isn't Bell Co. plan and simple:rockon:
Belfry definately isn't Bell Co. i mean Where was Bell when Belfry was in Bowling Green last year?
So Belfry should move up for doing nothing? If you measure by wins and losses Breathitt and Williamsburg should be #1 and #2.

I would love for Belfry and Harlan County to play, I heard rumors of it last time schedules were made maybe this time around. That's a heck of a trip though 3 hours or more!
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Bell Co has problems all the time scheduling the other great teams of the Mtns. That's why we have played in Lexington (Lex Cath, Lafayette and Bryan Station), Marion Co Bowl (Marion Co and Madison Central), teams down in Tenn (Volunteer High, Soddy Daisy, and Alcoa) and Lincoln Co Bowl for regular season games.

Makes a Coaches job a little more difficult. In Harlan County's short existence they have had a hard time! Played 3 games in Tennessee (2 against Morristown East/West 1 in Grainger County) we play Lee High Va but that doesnt really count not a long trip, Gate City VA, George Rodgers Clark, Dunbar, and Tates Creek.
Cellking Wrote:How did W'burg get to be #6 ?? By beating Jellico Tenn, LOL

36-0 williamsburg over harlan just keep laughing Celking
cherokee Wrote:36-0 williamsburg over harlan just keep laughing Celking

Williamsburg shows tonight that they belong in the top 10.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:WOW! I am still laughing at the fact that Williamsburg is in the Top 10! Makes absolutely no sense and it makes me wonder what if any research they are doing regarding the mountain teams.

Williamsburg 36- Harlan 0
who would you replace them with, you haven't even seen them play. Dereck Forrest looking like a wise man
Patriot Wrote:So Belfry should move up for doing nothing? If you measure by wins and losses Breathitt and Williamsburg should be #1 and #2.

I would love for Belfry and Harlan County to play, I heard rumors of it last time schedules were made maybe this time around. That's a heck of a trip though 3 hours or more!

If it takes 3 hours...you are traveling at a blazing 36 mph. It's 108 miles....slightly more than Morristown...
Bear_Paw Wrote:If it takes 3 hours...you are traveling at a blazing 36 mph. It's 108 miles....slightly more than Morristown...

I'd say it's close on a school bus. It takes close to two hours to get to pikeville in a car. The roads are a little better towards Morristown.
Will sports overtime air tonight? I looked on the wymt website and it isn't listed on the programing
skully03 Wrote:Belfry definately isn't Bell Co. i mean Where was Bell when Belfry was in Bowling Green last year?
:Thumbs:
skully03 Wrote:Belfry definately isn't Bell Co. i mean Where was Bell when Belfry was in Bowling Green last year?

You're right their not. The 3A East is weak.
1. Belfry
2. Breathitt County
3. Bell
4. Knox
5. Summerset
6. Johnson Central
7. Harlan County
8. Hazard
9. Prestonsburg
10. Williamsburg

My new top 10
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Bell Co has problems all the time scheduling the other great teams of the Mtns. That's why we have played in Lexington (Lex Cath, Lafayette and Bryan Station), Marion Co Bowl (Marion Co and Madison Central), teams down in Tenn (Volunteer High, Soddy Daisy, and Alcoa) and Lincoln Co Bowl for regular season games.

I HIGHLY doubt there is much interest within the mountain
Big3 B's, Bell, Belfry and Breathitt, for playing any of the other
2 now that all are in 3A. Each team would probably like
to see the OTHER 2 matchup in the season, but don't
want to play until the post season.

And scheduling is tougher than ever. Schools HAVE
to look at travel costs, and HAVE to try to respect
the travel costs of opponents. You HAVE to try to
schedule some close non-districty games, and that doesn't
leave a lot of latitude in scheduling. And is ANOTHER
reason why we shold get back to 4, that's FOUR classes.
Not only is the 6 class system a waterdowned embarassment
in too many cases, it leads to absurdities like Bell Co.
being in a western half of the state district. 4 classes
make more compact districts possible.
Observing Wrote:I HIGHLY doubt there is much interest within the mountain
Big3 B's, Bell, Belfry and Breathitt, for playing any of the other
2 now that all are in 3A. Each team would probably like
to see the OTHER 2 matchup in the season, but don't
want to play until the post season.

And scheduling is tougher than ever. Schools HAVE
to look at travel costs, and HAVE to try to respect
the travel costs of opponents. You HAVE to try to
schedule some close non-districty games, and that doesn't
leave a lot of latitude in scheduling. And is ANOTHER
reason why we shold get back to 4, that's FOUR classes.
Not only is the 6 class system a waterdowned embarassment
in too many cases, it leads to absurdities like Bell Co.
being in a western half of the state district. 4 classes
make more compact districts possible.

Soddy Daisy is a Chattanooga, TN team. It took 3 hrs to get there when we played them.
BobCatFan29 Wrote:Bell stays #1 till a Mt Team beats us! Id love to see Bell vs Belfry for State be an awsome match up!! Just sayin....

Be careful what you wish for lol... Now I am juss sayin Confusedinglepar