Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell not renewing contract with Raceland
I guess this is the last year of the Russell/Raceland game according to a poster at another site.

"Russell AD, Sam Sparks, called Raceland Head football coach, T.J. Maynard, today and informed him that Russell would not sign a new contract to keep the series alive."

Thoughts on this from Russell people and Raceland people?
Poor choice by Russell. The game was great for both schools. I assume there was big crowds to the games, I was only able to attend one game and the crowd was large. I hope that it will not be another 35 years before the schools play again.
BTW, what is Russell's excuse for not renewing the contract?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:Poor choice by Russell. The game was great for both schools. I assume there was big crowds to the games, I was only able to attend one game and the crowd was large. I hope that it will not be another 35 years before the schools play again.
BTW, what is Russell's excuse for not renewing the contract?
I'm not sure what the excuse is for not renewing maybe someone who is close to the program might know? But I do agree it was usually a money maker for both schools and the schools are so close.
^ Im sure Ram-a-devil will have an answer.:1:
The only thing I can think Of is arrogance. Russell doesnt like losing to smaller schools and have lost 4 in a row in the series and this years game isn't a slam dunk either. So I guess you keep from losing by not renewing the contract. Huge gate good competition for both schools. A meaningful game to keep your kids focused before the playoffs. This just doesn't add up except Russell wasn't beating the 1a school.
Chickenshit move On our part. I can't defend it.
^ Great post man. Respect
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:The only thing I can think Of is arrogance. Russell doesnt like losing to smaller schools and have lost 4 in a row in the series and this years game isn't a slam dunk either. So I guess you keep from losing by not renewing the contract. Huge gate good competition for both schools. A meaningful game to keep your kids focused before the playoffs. This just doesn't add up except Russell wasn't beating the 1a school.

I'll give you Ashland guys credit. They got you three years in a row but at least you had the balls to keep playing them.

Most people from Russell despise this move and the way it reflects on all of us. Arrogance is close to ignorance.
^
Good post.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Great post man. Respect

It's the truth. I really hope this gets rethought. It's a great natural rivalry that needs to be played. This bigger school smaller school crap is garbage. Raceland is 1A. Russell should be 2A. Both have great programs for schools their size.
FBALL Wrote:I'll give you Ashland guys credit. They got you three years in a row but at least you had the balls to keep playing them.

Most people from Russell despise this move and the way it reflects on all of us. Arrogance is close to ignorance.

Know that when I say arrogance I don't mean from the players or fans standpoint. But from the administration.
I agree with you wholeheartedly man and for what it is worth, I hate this for you and all the dedicated Russell fans who take pride in your program. It is wrong IMO too. I think anyone can see it.

If it isn't wrong, someone who has some say so needs to explain it. That game is a great county rivarly. It is excellent competition for both teams on a yearly basis; a large gate; and a very small travel expense in this struggling economy. Oh yeah, the fans get energized by the game.

It makes NO sense. No one can defend this, and I give props to FBall and other Russell fans who are pissed off about it.

The question becomes, does anyone get called to answer for this garbage? What is this?
PaytoPlay Wrote:I agree with you wholeheartedly man and for what it is worth, I hate this for you and all the dedicated Russell fans who take pride in your program. It is wrong IMO too. I think anyone can see it.

If it isn't wrong, someone who has some say so needs to explain it. That game is a great county rivarly. It is excellent competition for both teams on a yearly basis; a large gate; and a very small travel expense in this struggling economy. Oh yeah, the fans get energized by the game.

It makes NO sense. No one can defend this, and I give props to FBall and other Russell fans who are pissed off about it.

The question becomes, does anyone get called to answer for this garbage? What is this?

This was one of the marquee games for the entire area

Ashland/Ironton

Ashland/Russell

Ashland/Johnson central

Russell/Raceland

Raceland/Fairview

Russell/Ironton

Are all high interest games for our area and should be played every year.
PaytoPlay Wrote:I agree with you wholeheartedly man and for what it is worth, I hate this for you and all the dedicated Russell fans who take pride in your program. It is wrong IMO too. I think anyone can see it.

This was one of the marquee games for the entire area

Ashland/Ironton

Ashland/Russell

Ashland/Johnson central

Russell/Raceland

Raceland/Fairview

Russell/Ironton

tomcatfan722000 Wrote:This was one of the marquee games for the entire area

Ashland/Ironton

Ashland/Russell

Ashland/Johnson central

Russell/Raceland

Raceland/Fairview

Russell/Ironton

Absolutely.

All of those games should be played every year regardless of who is up or who is down. They just make sense.
Until I hear ways behind this bs move I won't give a knee jerk reaction even though I want to. There has to be a reason for taking away one of the best games on the schedule for the players, fans and the money made for the schools. I would hope to think its for a far better reason than tired of losing to them. Surely at a competitive school like Russell and with their history it would go beyond that. If not that would be pathetic. I can't imagine the coaches going along with this move for that reason if that's what it is. And any coach who would want to for that reason isn't worth his salt and should be fired, I don't care who it is. But let's see if we can get to the bottom of this first
I suggest Russell fans call the school and complain about this decision. I have not talked to one person who agrees with this. Let your feelings be known. Maybe we can get this to be looked at again before they schedule somebody else.
I predict the game will be played next season. Cooler heads will prevail.
What can you say, nobody wants to play a team that dominates you in a 5 yr run. Can't believe you didn't see this coming. Or maybe it was Raceland that dropped the :igiveup:Red Devils:igiveup: to find a more competive opponent???? Maybe Russell can schedule Rose Hill. All joking aside. This is just unbeleivable. But what do expect from the so called LEADERS at Russell. Raceland scarred there image and give a big "L" in the win column. Everybody benifitted from this game and it shown from the crowds. Shame on the AD & all those involved (coaches) for letting this game go. Just another step in the wrong direction with athletics at Russell.
If not Raceland who are we picking up in their place?
Fred Sanford Wrote:I predict the game will be played next season. Cooler heads will prevail.

Hope so!
FBALL, You stated that Russell should be 2A, and by enrollment they should. My memory is not what it used to be, so I have to ask. Didn't they petition to play up in 3A because of travel concerns?

Seems like I remember that but I am just not sure.

Not that it has any bearing whatsoever on this issue, I am just trying to clear up a muddy headed memory.

Thanks
Buc-a-roo Wrote:FBALL, You stated that Russell should be 2A, and by enrollment they should. My memory is not what it used to be, so I have to ask. Didn't they petition to play up in 3A because of travel concerns?

Seems like I remember that but I am just not sure.

Not that it has any bearing whatsoever on this issue, I am just trying to clear up a muddy headed memory.

Thanks
You are correct. They petitioned to stay 3a because of travel cost.
They stayed in 3A so they can continue to play in the weakest district in the state. I guess they don't want to play LCA, Corbin, and Prestonburgh. Keep hiding from the good teams Devils. Boyd and Greenup are always competitive with you , make sure you keep them on your schedule.:biglmao:
When you play weaker competition, you get weaker post season results. That's why Fairview gets to 'Believe in the Wood' on the hardwood while the football playoffs are finishing up.

This is a move toward mediocrity for Russell, and another in a string of moves that proves why Eastern Kentucky schools struggle so mightily against schools that play incredible schedules in the northern part of the state. When you play better competition, you get better. Those programs have 'bettered themselves' up further than the Eastern Kentucky schools have, and our response: Let's drop schools that beat us and play someone we can beat. Those schools you beat at first, are going to get better while you stay where you are and they will rise up and beat you. Didn't that happen with Lewis County last year?

Of course kids WANT to move in and play at those schools that are playing big time match ups every single game. Who wouldn't want that?

Raceland should take that slot on their schedule and play LCA, Corbin, or Prestonsburg. I'm pretty sure they're not afraid, and when it's all said and done, they'll be better for it. They might be better already!
Statmaster Wrote:They stayed in 3A so they can continue to play in the weakest district in the state. I guess they don't want to play LCA, Corbin, and Prestonburgh. Keep hiding from the good teams Devils. Boyd and Greenup are always competitive with you , make sure you keep them on your schedule.:biglmao:

I can't defend the decision if we don't renew with Raceland. That's complete BS if they actually make that move. I'm dead against it. It's not based on being scared but it does give that appearance.

I can however defend staying in 3A and playing in that district. It does save travel cost and makes scheduling much easier. All of the teams in that district are within an hour drive with Mason and Fleming both being about an hour away. The 2A district would have had Prestonsburg, Shelby Valley and Betsy Layne. That district is no stronger, in fact it's weaker and none of those teams are within an hour drive.

It also left Russell on the same side of the playoff bracket as Belfry and Breathitt. Two teams that have been traditional playoff rivals. Not to mention Garrard and Bournon County I. Line before that. That's hardly ducking competition. Then you've got Central, Bell County and Tighlman on the other side.

As for non district games we are playing Ashland Blazer, Ironton, Boyd and Greenup as well as the Ams for now. All are traditional rivalries that should be played every year.

So you can crow all you want if we don't renew the series but staying in 3A was a reasonable and sensible decision.

By the way you play in a district with Fairview Paintsville and Nicholas County. Which is also weaker.
FBALL Wrote:I can't defend the decision if we don't renew with Raceland. That's complete BS if they actually make that move. I'm dead against it. It's not based on being scared but it does give that appearance.

I can however defend staying in 3A and playing in that district. It does save travel cost and makes scheduling much easier. All of the teams in that district are within an hour drive with Mason and Fleming both being about an hour away. The 2A district would have had Prestonsburg, Shelby Valley and Betsy Layne. That district is no stronger, in fact it's weaker and none of those teams are within an hour drive.

It also left Russell on the same side of the playoff bracket as Belfry and Breathitt. Two teams that have been traditional playoff rivals. Not to mention Garrard and Bournon County in line before that. That's hardly ducking competition. Then you've got Central, Bell County and Tighlman on the other side.

As for non district games we are playing Ashland Blazer, Ironton, Boyd and Greenup as well as the Ams for now. All are traditional rivalries that should be played every year.

So you can crow all you want if we don't renew the series but staying in 3A was a reasonable and sensible decision.

By the way you play in a district with Fairview Paintsville and Nicholas County. Which is also weaker.
I agree Russell belongs in 3A to much history with the 3A teams and that 2A Travel schedule would've been brutal. You can make an argument even for Johnson Central not being in our district. Rowan,Ashland,Boyd,and Greenup are all long trips for them. So if u can make that argument then Russell definitely belongs in 3A