•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Central Open
Can of Corn Wrote:You really want to get me going don't you? Don't come on here spouting off statistics like you're Bill James. He's coached at MORGAN COUNTY AND JENKINS. Vince Lombardi couldn't have a record much better than Maggard at those two places. No talent=no wins. You can only improve a player so much before he's at his peak unless its God-given. What are you supposed to do when your best player is Ryan Bentley and runs a 4.7+. Get real. Don't skew statistics like that to make a point when Jenkins will probably never have a winning season again. Regardless of how hard he works his boys.

LCPS would be making a mistake NOT to give him at least an interview. Anna will probably go California to get a "big-name" and by big name I mean a coach who's uncle's friend knew Andrew Luck's peewee football waterboy. Welcome to the dark ages Letcher Central football.

Morgan went 8-3 under Brian Turner. Also won back to back Sorghum bowls, HOSTED a playoff game. Seriously DO NOT compare Morgan with Jenkins.
Anyone have a timeline of when this hire will take place?
It better be soon...Already so far behind now.....Hope he brings some players with him.
If Al Holland wants to be a college coach, he better not accept the job. The time he has spent coaching college and working his way up will be all for not and he will have to start off at bottom again.
I heard Aaron Stepp may be interested.
SlantStrong Wrote:Morgan went 8-3 under Brian Turner. Also won back to back Sorghum bowls, HOSTED a playoff game. Seriously DO NOT compare Morgan with Jenkins.

I just did.
West 80 Wrote:If Al Holland wants to be a college coach, he better not accept the job. The time he has spent coaching college and working his way up will be all for not and he will have to start off at bottom again.

Lil Al is happy as the O-coordinator at UPIKE, and also plays for the drillers in Pikeville.

If anything, I see big Al hopping on a Pike co team.
Mama Bear Wrote:I heard Aaron Stepp may be interested.

He seems happy at SV with the talent they have coming up as freshman so I don't see that either.
Could you imagine an Aaron Stepp offense on the turf? Better make sure all the lights in that big ole jumbotron is working... When they play PCC you could see one or both teams score 100
You can forget about that stepp guy. he has no chance. Zero, none what so ever. Alot of people are very interested, but some will not even be considered.
What about Donahue from Harlan
Heard in Pulaski that Jay Cobb may be the man
West 80 Wrote:If Al Holland wants to be a college coach, he better not accept the job. The time he has spent coaching college and working his way up will be all for not and he will have to start off at bottom again.

Clue me in. What is Al Holland's qualifications. How old is he?
West 80 Wrote:Heard in Pulaski that Jay Cobb may be the man

Won't be Cobb - he is to controversial with the way he quit on Somerset the week before their first game; then he took the Knott Central job but backed out for Cambellsville. Very risky IMO.

Stepp has jumped around quite a bit? He's been at Berea 3 years, Valley one year, Harrison 1 year; Franklin one year; Shelby Co as an assistant for 2 years. What gives?

How many big wins do these 2 have?
Dont see Hollon leaving upike. He would be the next coach inline. I dont think Dudley will say at upike that long. And coach Hollon likes college ball
What has Aaron Stepp done?
Better yet. Who the hell is Aaron Stepp?
IMO letcher county lost a good football coach if Whitaker did resign wont be long till you see him at another school
Aaron Stepp is a good coach. He did a good job at Clay. He won a district title in his only year at Harrison. he did well at SV last year. Had some decent years at Berea.
One thing that will hurt them is take too long to replace him. I know they don't want to rush, but at the same time get it done before spring practice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
All of these people may be happy, but these people would also be alot happier making 3-4 times the money that they are making now. Letcher Central sports pays unbelievable money to football/basketball coaches....
I started thinking about that after I posted.

You are correct, 100%.

Money Talks, and Bull**** walks.
Sad but true ~
Bill Cower is available if it pays like you say. Joker will be available after this year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What about Donahue from Harlan

I would say the other coaches in the district would go for Him.
^
Lynn Camp should get rid of Michell and try to go after Donahue.
wildone89 Wrote:I would say the other coaches in the district would go for Him.

I don't think you understood my post? I meant the other coaches in Letcher's district would be tickled to death with Donahue. They were pretty happy with Whitaker but Donahue would be even better.
Yogibear Wrote:Aaron Stepp is a good coach. He did a good job at Clay. He won a district title in his only year at Harrison. he did well at SV last year. Had some decent years at Berea.

In a 4 team district. They beat a poor Franklin Co. team, Pendleton, West Jess. Not strong competition. But nothing against Stepp. 5-5 this past year against a very weak schedule. Just some additional info.
Tough hire based upon this thread. Most local coaches (Frazier, Stepp, Donahue) viewed as not good enough or beneath the prestige of the program. Others (Dixon, Holcomb, Holland, Larkey) viewed as uninterested or untouchable. Some want a coach from the program or associated with Letcher history (not an outsider), and others think a new outlook, enthusiasm and control from outside is needed. Money might be good, but appears unity and a clear choice is lacking. Wish Letcher good luck. Mountain football is better when they are a contender.
Money and fringe benefits are excellent....Teacher salary plus 25%, past coaches have been provided with a vehicle and I assume gas card...Plus I don't think they teach a whole lot...
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next