Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 71 Shelby Valley 60
Final from Belfry.

Big games from both Messer and Belter. Belfry led by as much as 24. SV cut it to 8, but a big 3 by Belfry stopped the run and it was pretty much even from there.

Turner had 20 points to lead the Pirates. Messer had 16 points and 12 rebounds for Belfry.

SV was led by Richardson with 20 points. Cody Belter had a triple double with 15 points, 13 rebounds, and 10 blocks.
Can't understand why Messer has not gotten more touches this season. He is a beast down low.
Wow.... Incredibly disappointing end to the season for Valley.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Belfry has shown improvement, with 2 minutes to go on Tuesday Belfry trailed a 2-loss Tug Valley, WV team by 6, unfortunately their excellent coach drew it up well and they beat us with the help of two huge dunks. Belfry has shown improvement, and they came out hot tonight. With no disrespect intended for Valley, I thought we really let up and it could be because Mingo Central waits for us tomorrow and no one wanted to tire themselves out or get hurt before the rivalry game. Tony showed tonight why he is an elite big man.
As I said 3 weeks ago, I am scared that Valley will not make it to region for the first time since....who knows when????

SCARED!!
:yikes:
Lleyton21 Wrote:As I said 3 weeks ago, I am scared that Valley will not make it to region for the first time since....who knows when????

SCARED!!
:yikes:

1998-99 if I'm not mistaken. Really thought the streak would end last year, but SV ended up winning region...
I think you are right King, Pike Central beat SV on a last second shot at Pikeville to knock them out of the district tournament.
^Last time the Panthers went to Rupp. If it is the case SV does not advance, let's hope the trend continues. :biggrin:
How does Dalton score 20 and Belter rack in a triple double and they still lose by this much. Again, I'm not arguing but changes need to be made to this program.
Newsome did not play. The boys came out and had 13 turnovers the first quarter, most of them unforced. They battled back and cut it to 8 twice, one time in the 3rd and once in the 4th. They showed a lot of heart the 2nd half which is something they had been missing.
new o Wrote:Newsome did not play. The boys came out and had 13 turnovers the first quarter, most of them unforced. They battled back and cut it to 8 twice, one time in the 3rd and once in the 4th. They showed a lot of heart the 2nd half which is something they had been missing.

Even with Newsome it wouldn't have mattered, I mean Belter had a triple double for goodness sake!

The kids with the most heart won this game, sorry.

This is a sore loss for SV fans, makes you question a lot of things.
Going by official stats Belter only had 4 blocks. I agrre this is a bad loss. 13 turnovers in the first quarter was the biggest stat of the night.
Sv has two stat keepers,one on the bench and one in the stands, both had him with 4 blocks.
^ 10 and 4 is a big difference, I'll go with Randy's stat. He is usually dead on. so IDK where you're getting 4 from. It also said he hit double digits on the radio this morning?
Officially its 4. Now there were times when Messer would go up to shoot and Belter would make him adjust his shot but not block it. It does not really matter though because SV lost and the game is over. I do not do the stats, 2 of Randy's close friends do them and that is where we get them from.
lol ^ you make no sense.....and this is completely off topic......If you and Randy got them the same person shouldn't you have the same stats.

I'm sure neither of them would have false stats.

all in all, the team runs through Belter, and USUALLY Dalton is the X factor.......and He had 20, so you tell me but I can make a suggestion for what's wrong.
Its not hard to figure out. Randy keeps his own stats. Ronnie Johnson keeps stats on the bench and his son Bull keeps them on his IPAD in the stands. SV uses those stats. Randy does it because he enjoys doing them. 24 turnovers for the game is one problem. These kids are young and get down on themselves very easy. Its a maturing process. Coach stayed positive with them all night and that is why they battled back. I am sorry but Newsome is the X factor on this team. When he plays well SV plays well because it takes pressure off Belter.
new o Wrote:Its not hard to figure out. Randy keeps his own stats. Ronnie Johnson keeps stats on the bench and his son Bull keeps them on his IPAD in the stands. SV uses those stats. Randy does it because he enjoys doing them. 24 turnovers for the game is one problem. These kids are young and get down on themselves very easy. Its a maturing process. Coach stayed positive with them all night and that is why they battled back. I am sorry but Newsome is the X factor on this team. When he plays well SV plays well because it takes pressure off Belter.

Well Obviously in this game Belter loves the pressure!...Newsome is a role player (his turnovers kill him.)....

and about the stat thing, it is hard to figure out when you leave those details out, Clear as Mud. :welcome:
and I've never heard coach Newsome say a positive thing as a coach in his life lol....I should know, I played under him.
Nice W Pirates!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Cody Bentley had a double-double! How about him!
^ Nice!.....Cody is turning into a step up player on this team, If he hits his shots, he plays good.....because he is a really good defender.
Wow, just wow.

Belfry, and especially Shelby Valley, are having subpar years according to everyone's standards. But it continues to amaze me how quick the keyboard commandos are to call for "changes" to be made.

Accountability for wins and losses isn't solely upon the coach. Half of these kids don't pick up a basketball until basketball practice starts, and when practice is over they go straight to a computer/xBox to play WoW or Call of Duty. To be great at this game you have to play ball year round in some form or fashion. I know that Belfry don't play unless Coach Casey drags them into the gym, and I'm assuming it like that to some degree in most places.
Belfry may only have 8 wins, but we are playing better. Those "unforced" turnovers came off of bad passes when we were pressing ... So you can call that unforced if you want but ...

I don't recall Belter having 10 blocks. Maybe 5, not 10.
Good players respect their coaches, I'm going to choose not to mention any names because it is not the right thing to do, but Many people and PLAYERS have told me they are not impressed with the coaching.

Coaching isn't just X's and O's, in fact, some of the best coaches didn't even play the game. Good players make good coaches, and Valley has a very talented team, that i know love the game of basketball. Also, good coaches motivate their players to an extreme and are smart with it.

Great motivating coaches are winning all around us. Jr. Newsome, Spurlock, Phelp's coach (forgot his name. has had big upsets this year), Hatcher at PCC. On the girls side, Coach Pup and Rowe. Don't forget about Coach Justice at KCC, and last but not least, Jason Booher. All these are great MOTIVATORS and TEACHERS of the game of Basketball.
This is going nowhere, I'm just stating my opinion.

Congrats Belfry on a great win, sounds like you played awesome D which wins big games.

As far as Valley goes, If you want to be a typical Valley team of the past.
Better wake up and smell the roses and play basketball.
Congrats Pirates and Coach Casey!!! Nice win!!! Its hard to turn on Coach Newsome though with what he accomplished last year. He got those guys to play very hard last year at the right time. In saying that though, I was always a big fan of Coach Booher because I thought he did a great job of managing the talent he had. Those teams were full of kids who would have been the best players on any other team they had been on, but he convinced them to buy into the TEAM concept and not let their or their parents egos get in the way of the ultimate goal.....State Championships!!! The season is not over for Valley and the Pirates seem to be rounding into form at the right time so Good luck to both the rest of the season!!!!
^ Great post, only except In region last year, I heard right from a few of the boys mouths "We won because We wanted it, and that's the only reason, We decided to start playing."
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:^ 10 and 4 is a big difference, I'll go with Randy's stat. He is usually dead on. so IDK where you're getting 4 from. It also said he hit double digits on the radio this morning?

I wasn't at the game. I was listening on the radio. In the 2nd half, they kept saying "Belter with another block". I know midway through the 3rd, they said he had 4 blocks in just that quarter alone. That is way off though. I would go with the team statkeepers over the radio though because it would be pretty hard to miss 6 blocks. One maybe, but not 6. Lol
LOL Justice at KCC? Check your stats! With no pun toward phelps, but big wins?So, HH was you on last years regional championship team? Or did you play Jr. high ball under coach Newsome? Just wondering?