Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy Layne 69 - Pikeville 50 ( 15th Region All A )
Betsy Lane 15 19 12 23 - 69
Pikeville 11 16 8 15 - 50

15th Region All "A" Classic at Pikeville Expo Center

Betsy Lane (11-2) -- Roberts 21, Spencer 12, Meade 17, Case 13, Luster 3, Harmon 2, Rogers 1

Pikeville (9-3) -- Tackett 10, Anderson 2, Hamilton 11, Hall 2, Branham 4, Rowe 21
Great win for the bobcats..BL impressed me alot tonight.
Not bad for a really young team missing it's two true big men! Monday night will be a big game, whoever wins should have a really good shot at keeping the state crown in the 15th from what I have read and heard.
Great win Bobcats....way to step up BIG #5 Spencer.
Roberts with 21 points 13 rebounds..it's about time he starts playing...
A win over Pikeville Panthers.......................... Good luck Bobcats against the wildcats.... The look on Pikeville fans was priceless tonight.
The bobcats executed their offense almost perfectly. Defense was tremendous. Dylan Meades defense on Rowe the first half really had him frustrated. He made a lot of bad passes and shot some bad shots. Pikeville depends much too much on his offense. The rest of the team is standing and waiting on him to make something happen. He is not good enough to carry a team. Good game bobcats. Good luck against shelby valley monday night.
Was told well over half of Rowe's points came from the free throw line, can someone verify for me if this is true or not?
bball_fan Wrote:Was told well over half of Rowe's points came from the free throw line, can someone verify for me if this is true or not?

I can remember 8 or 10 points coming from the line..So i guess half of them did..Great defense played by the bobcats
Panthers could just not get anything going. No offense from anyone. Except Rowe with his points, and like you all have said. Came from a lot of free-throws. But that counts! Bobcats played great, great D!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Wow The Lane boys face the Valley Dweller .ummmm
:pondering:

the
lane Boys
Congrats Bobcats
Congrats to the Bobcats. They were the better team yesterday. As for Pikeville, it continues a streak of not being able to hit the 3, except for Jacob Hamilton, an uninspired rebounding performance, and too much jacking up the 3 at bad times. They are in a funk right now and need to snap out of it.

Again, good job BL.
What did Pikeville do to receive two techniques in this game?
::Famous:: Wrote:What did Pikeville do to receive two techniques in this game?
1st technical was on Ethan Rowe. On a scramble for a ball, he got it, and a BL player rolled up on the back of his leg. Ref blew the whistle and started to call the foul. As Ethan was jerking his leg out from under the BL player, the ref took that as an attempt to kick the BL player and whistled Ethan for a T. Second one was on Wes Anderson, another pileup for a loose ball, BL player rolled over Wes pretty good. Wes got up and lifted him up by his leg.

1st T was unjustified in my opinion, I think the ref overreacted by only seeing part of it. Second one on Wes, was entirely justified, Wes lost his head. I think he was frustrated because he was getting pulled, pushed, etc (most notably by #5 of BL) for much of the game and nothing was getting called, and he lost his composure. Doesn't justify what he did though.
PHSForever Wrote:1st technical was on Ethan Rowe. On a scramble for a ball, he got it, and a BL player rolled up on the back of his leg. Ref blew the whistle and started to call the foul. As Ethan was jerking his leg out from under the BL player, the ref took that as an attempt to kick the BL player and whistled Ethan for a T. Second one was on Wes Anderson, another pileup for a loose ball, BL player rolled over Wes pretty good. Wes got up and lifted him up by his leg.

1st T was unjustified in my opinion, I think the ref overreacted by only seeing part of it. Second one on Wes, was entirely justified, Wes lost his head. I think he was frustrated because he was getting pulled, pushed, etc (most notably by #5 of BL) for much of the game and nothing was getting called, and he lost his composure. Doesn't justify what he did though.

Pretty sure BL's player were getting just as much pushing and pulling from Pikeville also....
PHSForever Wrote:1st technical was on Ethan Rowe. On a scramble for a ball, he got it, and a BL player rolled up on the back of his leg. Ref blew the whistle and started to call the foul. As Ethan was jerking his leg out from under the BL player, the ref took that as an attempt to kick the BL player and whistled Ethan for a T. Second one was on Wes Anderson, another pileup for a loose ball, BL player rolled over Wes pretty good. Wes got up and lifted him up by his leg.

It was not an attempt to get his leg out. He did in fact kick the BL player. Even the radio announcers saw it and said it was the right call. As a matter of fact, a kick could have gotten him ejected.
BL played lock down defense the entire game, I also think Pikeville go out coached.
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:BL played lock down defense the entire game, I also think Pikeville go out coached.

Betsy Layne's defense definitely controlled the game. The offensive sets by Pikeville were ineffective. Looks like Betsy Layne's coach did his scouting and coached a great game. Pikeville was unable to make the necessary adjustments. Hats off to Betsy Layne for a well played game.
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:Pretty sure BL's player were getting just as much pushing and pulling from Pikeville also....

The game was physical on both ends.
PantherTradition Wrote:Betsy Layne's defense definitely controlled the game. The offensive sets by Pikeville were ineffective. Looks like Betsy Layne's coach did his scouting and coached a great game. Pikeville was unable to make the necessary adjustments. Hats off to Betsy Layne for a well played game.

His offensive sets have never worked, it is easy to guard 1 or 2 players when you have 5 playing defense. He has never been able to understand this, when you have 5 who are allowed to shoot then it is a little harder to guard them. It also makes it easier for the better players to score when all the attention is not on them.
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:Pretty sure BL's player were getting just as much pushing and pulling from Pikeville also....
I wasn't implying that BL was the only one being physical, just meant from what I saw, Wes and the #5 from BL were going at each other pretty good.
Shady Grady Wrote:It was not an attempt to get his leg out. He did in fact kick the BL player. Even the radio announcers saw it and said it was the right call. As a matter of fact, a kick could have gotten him ejected.
Ok. From my angle, looked like he was pulling his leg out, so thanks for the correction. And if it truly was a "kick" the ref would have ejected him, I think, so maybe a T was the right call after all. But I could definitely see Ethan's face, and he was in some pain when he had his leg rolled up on. Oh well. Not to take anything away from BL, they were definitely the better team that night, period.
Gotta remember, guys, this isn't college. You don't go out and recruit your team. You play with what you have. Not everything is "good coaching" or "bad coaching", sometimes there's no strategy to fix things. Pikeville needs other players to score. Hamilton has shown he can do that, but he needs help. Others have to elevate their game.
Live Maroon Wrote:Gotta remember, guys, this isn't college. You don't go out and recruit your team. You play with what you have. Not everything is "good coaching" or "bad coaching", sometimes there's no strategy to fix things. Pikeville needs other players to score. Hamilton has shown he can do that, but he needs help. Others have to elevate their game.

Same story different year! Never has talent, poor Coach. Funny thing is they are always good at the Jr. High level. LMAO There is talent always walking the halls at PHS, but they dont play for some reason. Hmmm!

:HitWall:
Congrats BL. I thought this would have been a better game. Could not believe the game was decided by so many points.
Is something going on with Branham from Pikeville? He struggled very badly against Magoffin the game before this one, and seems that he did in this one as well.
McCameraMan Wrote:Is something going on with Branham from Pikeville? He struggled very badly against Magoffin the game before this one, and seems that he did in this one as well.
Just isn't going right now. It happens. Shooters can't hit, hitters can't get a hit, QBs throw 3 picks. He will come out of it, but you could definitely see a lack of confidence. But it will come back as soon as a couple fall in a row for him. I would like to see him attack the basket a little more in those situations. It was almost as if he couldn't get an outside look to go, that's the end. If those aren't falling take it to the goal and get a good look or GET TO THE LINE. Will needs to shoot more free throws, those also help you get your stroke back in the course of a game.

As for those once again blaming coaching, yes, maybe better adjustments could have been made. But adjustments don't mean much if you only have 2-3 guys capable of consistently scoring the basketball. There were plenty of chances for, I am not going to call anyone out- it isn't relevant-, guys to finish at the goal and for some reason they just cannot. Some don't even look to be a threat when they have the ball. And most of the time that is fine. If everything is running smoothly on most nights in the 15th, Branham and Rowe scoring will be enough.

The other 5-6 guys do a very good job of playing their role. For example, Hall, Anderson, and McAnallen do a great job of playing all out. They play solid D and go after the ball on rebounds the best on the team. Tackett is solid and can be counted on for some baskets to open up the perimeter a little bit. Hamilton hits the shots he needs to hit and always hustles. Everyone does a good job of knowing their role and playing within their limitations. The problem is if someone has an off night, it may not be noticed unless it is Branham or Rowe for the fact that they have the burden of putting a lot of points on the board. When Will is only putting in 4 or 6, instead of the usual 20 it is difficult for Pikeville to win. Pikeville had PLENTY of good looks that until the past two games have been falling.

Now, you can take the sample size of the first 14 games or the last 2. Anyone with sense will realize that the larger sample size give you the best results. The Panthers managed to win one game the did not deserve in a slump and lost a game they deserved to lose in a slump. Does it say nothing they still managed to beat a relatively good Magoffin County team when they should not have? Does that not merit a 'good job' to to the staff? Probably not from the same few that only have an axe to grind.

Look, I am disappointed as well with the result of the All "A". Just as any Panther Fan is. But, stuff like that happens. Would it have been nice to have won? Yes, it would. But there is equal blame to be placed on everyone. And on that same note, credit to be given to BL. Even if Pikeville was clicking, they would be tough to beat that night. They played very well offensively for a team that is not a high scoring group. I would venture to say shooting somewhere around 50%. They had a good game plan and their guys executed. It was just like All "A" baseball vs. Pburg, things just happen sometimes. Not always does one team blow a game, every now and then the other just goes out and wins the game. And that is what BL did. Congrats to the Bobcats.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Just isn't going right now. It happens. Shooters can't hit, hitters can't get a hit, QBs throw 3 picks. He will come out of it, but you could definitely see a lack of confidence. But it will come back as soon as a couple fall in a row for him. I would like to see him attack the basket a little more in those situations. It was almost as if he couldn't get an outside look to go, that's the end. If those aren't falling take it to the goal and get a good look or GET TO THE LINE. Will needs to shoot more free throws, those also help you get your stroke back in the course of a game.

As for those once again blaming coaching, yes, maybe better adjustments could have been made. But adjustments don't mean much if you only have 2-3 guys capable of consistently scoring the basketball. There were plenty of chances for, I am not going to call anyone out- it isn't relevant-, guys to finish at the goal and for some reason they just cannot. Some don't even look to be a threat when they have the ball. And most of the time that is fine. If everything is running smoothly on most nights in the 15th, Branham and Rowe scoring will be enough.

The other 5-6 guys do a very good job of playing their role. For example, Hall, Anderson, and McAnallen do a great job of playing all out. They play solid D and go after the ball on rebounds the best on the team. Tackett is solid and can be counted on for some baskets to open up the perimeter a little bit. Hamilton hits the shots he needs to hit and always hustles. Everyone does a good job of knowing their role and playing within their limitations. The problem is if someone has an off night, it may not be noticed unless it is Branham or Rowe for the fact that they have the burden of putting a lot of points on the board. When Will is only putting in 4 or 6, instead of the usual 20 it is difficult for Pikeville to win. And you cannot blame the coaching. Pikeville had PLENTY of good looks that until the past two games have been falling.

Now, you can take the sample size of the first 14 games or the last 2. Anyone with sense will realize that the larger sample size give you the best results. The Panthers managed to win one game the did not deserve in a slump and lost a game they deserved to lose in a slump. Does it say nothing they still managed to beat a relatively good Magoffin County team when they should not have? Does that not merit a 'good job' to to the staff? Probably not from the same few that only have an axe to grind.

Look, I am disappointed as well with the result of the All "A". Just as any Panther Fan is. But, stuff like that happens. Would it have been nice to have won? Yes, it would. But there is equal blame to be placed on everyone. And on that same note, credit to be given to BL. Even if Pikeville was clicking, they would be tough to beat that night. They played very well offensively for a team that is not a high scoring group. I would venture to say shooting somewhere around 50%. They had a good game plan and their guys executed. It was just like All "A" baseball vs. Pburg, things just happen sometimes. Not always does one team blow a game, every now and then the other just goes out and wins the game. And that is what BL did. Congrats.

Agree with almost all of your post, except the highlighted portion.

You of all people have been close to the situation and know my previous post is accurate. The reason they dont look to score is it keeps them on the floor. Put up a couple shots and you are gone if they dont fall. If they fall you might get to stay in. My point is, it is easier to do nothing than get pulled for taking a 12 footer. It has happened for years and it will happen as long as the coaches take this approach. I dont have anything to grind, just wandering why PHS never has any talent LEFT by the time a class make it to seniors? My point is that the coaches should quit blaming it on less talent and evaluate there own philosiphies.
In the game I seen coach Newsome yell at his boys to get back on D after a change of possession, He simply motivated those boys. I just see no motivation by Pikeville's side, Pikeville got caught looking on a lot of BL's offensive drives.