Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Coaches in the Mountains?
Who are they?
The ones with the best players
Altro Cat Wrote:The ones with the best players

I disagree....Big Al has shown time and time again that he take a team of "good" but not "the best" players and turn them into a team that competes with the best teams in the mountain. Al Holland has my vote for the best coach.
ANEWPAT Wrote:I disagree....Big Al has shown time and time again that he take a team of "good" but not "the best" players and turn them into a team that competes with the best teams in the mountain. Al Holland has my vote for the best coach.

When has Al won anything when he didn't have the best players??
Dinky Phipps! From barbourville Always does good with the little school
Estill's Bentley is a good coach. If they let him stay long enough he'll have Estill playing for a Regional Championship
Al Holland no doubt
Allen Hatcher
Al Hollard
Kevin Spurlock
Bart Williams
Altro Cat Wrote:The ones with the best players

WRONG!!!! Ask Shelby Valley's coach last year if it takes the best players to win.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Altro Cat Wrote:When has Al won anything when he didn't have the best players??

First off, I said "compete" but if you want to look at wins I'll go with every win that he has had this year. When what everyone was calling his "best" players decided not to play almost everyone on BGR wrote them off and all but said they should just forfeit every game. He has work these young boys and pulled together a very competitive season. Very few expected it. Now, do I think they will win the Region, no but is it always the team with the best coach in the region who wins the region? No! The best coach is the coach who can take boys he has and do things that no one expected them to be able to do. Or, at least that is my definition of the best coach.
Holland wins on kids that come out of his system. Without them he wins a lost less.
Mike Jones, Tony Pietrowski and Dinky Phipps in the 13th. Lewis Morris hasn't coached in the region a long time but has had very good success at Bell and comes from a great coaching family.
J.D. Strange and John D. Wilson have also been very good for a long time but don't have a lot of talent with which to work at this point.

Hatcher and Holland have had great careers in the 14th. Noble at Buckhorn gets a lot out of what he was to work with at a small school like Buckhorn.
ANEWPAT Wrote:First off, I said "compete" but if you want to look at wins I'll go with every win that he has had this year. When what everyone was calling his "best" players decided not to play almost everyone on BGR wrote them off and all but said they should just forfeit every game. He has work these young boys and pulled together a very competitive season. Very few expected it. Now, do I think they will win the Region, no but is it always the team with the best coach in the region who wins the region? No! The best coach is the coach who can take boys he has and do things that no one expected them to be able to do. Or, at least that is my definition of the best coach.

Holland wins on kids that come out of his system. Without them he wins a lost less.
No takers?
It is a joke to try to pick the best coaches whe the ones who are replying probably only know the coaches in their district. You probably don't even know all their names. Popularity contests aren't worth anything. Knowledge only comes from knowing each subject you are speaking about. If I knew every coach and observed them for several years I could have an informed reply, but I don't.
You know what can be said about opinions...but, the record speaks for itself. Al Holland is the winnest coach in basketball in the mountains...period. And, by the way, he has won with kids that want to play, not necessarily allstars. Heart goes a long way in basketball....
I did not put these in any type of order.
13th - Phipps- Barbourville, Jones- Harlan Co., Strange- Pineville
14th - Holland- Hazard, Hatcher- Perry Central
Matt Ratliff of the 15th is the best...
hornaplenty Wrote:You know what can be said about opinions...but, the record speaks for itself. Al Holland is the winnest coach in basketball in the mountains...period. And, by the way, he has won with kids that want to play, not necessarily allstars. Heart goes a long way in basketball....

How many wins does Al holland have as a coach??
hornaplenty Wrote:You know what can be said about opinions...but, the record speaks for itself. Al Holland is the winnest coach in basketball in the mountains...period. And, by the way, he has won with kids that want to play, not necessarily allstars. Heart goes a long way in basketball....

Is this an opinion? You what they say about opinions. The record speaks for it's self. He has what kids from what four different counties on this team? :gtfo:
Altro Cat Wrote:When has Al won anything when he didn't have the best players??

:Thumbs:
Two that come to mind are Pietrowski at Corbin and Phipps at Barbourville

Pietrowski always seems to turn average bball players at Corbin into stars.
Kids like Travis Smith wouldnt be the player he is if it wasnt for Pietrowski. Had he played at Whitley or Wburg he would just still be an average player IMO. Pietrowski has done this many times over the year and always seems to turn one player or more on his team into legitimate college basketball players.
Phipps jut knowss his basketball plain and simple. At a very small school like Bville theres not much to choose from but his teams always play as a team and figure out how to win. If you took this guy to a bigger school with more athletes he would dominate the 13th IMO.
Roscoe Denney
If SW Pulaski is considered the mountains then Steve Wright is definately one of the tops in the mountains.
Allan Hatcher
Al Holland
Denny Fugates

Those are the top of the 14th!

How many games has he won? He's a great coach, but I didn't know he had won more than anyone in the mountains.
allan hatcher and denny fugate would be my top two if I had to pick any in the 14th. al holland is good, but he has having the most talent has won him alot of games. in just my years of high school, I woulda went to rupp 3 times if it wasn't for whitaker showing up at being at hazard. think about the year before when buckhorn beat perry 33 in the district tournament. i know everyone has there bad games, but how can you let someone do that even when you have a better team?

Your smoking crack.
Prove it.
I guarantee you there are probably a few coaches from the 13th region that has won more games.
How many has he won? Seriously?
Before making a statement like that, bring the facts to back it up.

Hatcher only took over for Holland 4 or 5 five years ago, where was at before that? How many games did he win there?
Because i know there is about 3 or 4 coaches in the 13th alone that have more wins than the little 100 or so Hatcher has since hes been at PCC.
Al Holland
Allen Hatcher
Kevin Spurlock
Denny Fugate

In no order..
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Your smoking crack.
Prove it.
I guarantee you there are probably a few coaches from the 13th region that has won more games.
How many has he won? Seriously?
Before making a statement like that, bring the facts to back it up.

Hatcher only took over for Holland 4 or 5 five years ago, where was at before that? How many games did he win there?
Because i know there is about 3 or 4 coaches in the 13th alone that have more wins than the little 100 or so Hatcher has since hes been at PCC.

I'll tell u what, its not about how many wins u get because Holland has been at Perry and Hazard and they don't play against easy teams every game. If Holland wanted to get 25-30 wins a game he could.

But it's about coaching!

Coach Holland has 9 Regional Championship you won't find a coach in the mountain that can beat that.