Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do any coaches want to do a top 10 ranking for the 15th this year?
I have posted this a few times but with the season started now and their being no 15th region tournament this year, thought this might be a really good idea. Message me if you would like to start one with you're rankings, whether you're a coach or a school official. Would like to get at least 10 polls a week. Until then, I would have to rank things this way...

1.Pikeville
2.Paintsville
3.Louisa
4.Johns Creek
5.Betsy Layne
6.Herald Whitaker (Maggoffin County)
7.Belfry
8.Adams
9.Martin County
10.Johnson County

I have not seen every team play and do not know the results of every game, but I believe this is close going by current known results.
On second thought, this couldn't be my top 10... Dorton and/or Virgie would have to be somewhere. I forgot about this when I posted this.
What about South Floyd, we beat Martin Co. on zero days of practice and came close to beating Betsy Layne on 3 days of practice. These kids haven't played together yet.
RAIDERS2NITE Wrote:What about South Floyd, we beat Martin Co. on zero days of practice and came close to beating Betsy Layne on 3 days of practice. These kids haven't played together yet.

I had no idea you all had played Martin County, people are not posting results as much this year or I simply missed that one somewhere. And the final against Betsy Layne was a 14 point difference, it was tied at the half I admit but the season is still young. All of these teams will improve as the year goes on, and people's opinions will change every week.
who does virgie have besides chandler rowe?
i know the raiders had a bad lose to adams but we r a solid team and we beat martin county we deserve in this list
1. Paintsville
2. Pikeville
3. Louisa
4. John's Creek
5. Harold Whitaker (Magoffin Co.)
6. Dorton
7. Betsy Layne
8. Adams
9. South Floyd
10.Inez (Martin Co.)
1. Paintsville
2. Harold Whitaker
3. Dorton
4. Pikeville
5. Johns Creek
6. Virgie
7. BL
8. Martin
9. ?
10. ?

Haven't seen Adams, SF, of course Louisa (2 hours away...still don't understand why they're in 15th region!)
1. Paintsville
2. Pikeville
3. Louisa
4. John's Creek
4. Dorton
6. Harold Whitaker (Magoffin Co.)
7. Belfry
8. Betsy Layne
9. Virgie
10. South Floyd

I have two number 4s because Dorton and Johns Creek are both pretty even to me... Either team could beat the three in front of them... Pikeville was the best team in the region but they lost their starting PG so now this region is wide open again!
Now earlier in the year during the Dorton Invitational tournament (pool play),
Harold Whitaker defeated Dorton, but lost to John's Creek. I think Harold Whitaker should be ranked higher than Dorton.
Just to update on information I have heard recently. Johnson Central I was told defeated H. Whitaker and Adams this week. They should defently move into the top 10 then. At this point, I would rank them...

1.Paintsville
2.Louisa
3.Pikeville (At least until Ryder returns, then back to 1)
4.Betsy Layne
5.Dorton
6.John's Creek
7.Johnson Central
8.Harold Whitaker
9.South Floyd
10.Adams
bball_fan Wrote:Just to update on information I have heard recently. Johnson Central I was told defeated H. Whitaker and Adams this week. They should defently move into the top 10 then. At this point, I would rank them...

1.Paintsville
2.Louisa
3.Pikeville (At least until Ryder returns, then back to 1)
4.Betsy Layne
5.Dorton
6.John's Creek
7.Johnson Central
8.Harold Whitaker
9.South Floyd
10.Adams

I would flip Adams and South Floyd. Adams defeated South Floyd by 20. Johnson Central and Adams played a great game on Friday. Johnson Central won by three. I haven't seen Louisa play but I would keep Pikeville at 1 or 2 until they get beat. Other than that, list looks good.
Louisa hasn't played much. We lost toPaintsville by 7 with one of our players out. We beat JC by 34. Harold Whittaker by36 in Panorama. These next 2-3 weeks we finally get some games in.
I've heard you have a good team! Just haven't had the chance to see you play. Lots of talent in the 15th region!
We played Fort Gay Wv tonight and won by 5. Didn't play very good . They have a nice club.
Belfry has got to be in the top 10. I have saw Pikeville (With Ryder and Without), Johns Creek, Dorton, Virgie, Louisa, Harold Whitaker, Betsy Layne, Paintsville, and Belfry.... I can tell you without a doubt Belfry is as good as Dorton, Johns Creek, Pikeville, and any other team on this list... the truth is this region is wide open and anyone on any giving night can beat the other. That is what makes basketball so exciting this year.
Who has Belfry defeated? Anyone on this list? Virgie? Johns Creek? Pikeville? Betsy Layne? Louisa? Paintsville? Dorton? ...........What is your record?
Cougar Connection Wrote:Who has Belfry defeated? Anyone on this list? Virgie? Johns Creek? Pikeville? Betsy Layne? Louisa? Paintsville? Dorton? ...........What is your record?

I know Virgie beat Belfry on a last second shot @ Virgie
My updated rankings would be...

A team
1.Paintsville (Key wins... Louisa, Betsy Layne, Dorton and nearly defeated Pikeville with Ryder)

2.Louisa (Honestly do know not much about who they have played.)

3.Pikeville (When Ryder returns, they go back to 1. With him they have beat the best in the region has to offer.)

4.Betsy Layne (Key wins Dorton (AAU game however), Adams, South Floyd, Belfry and played Louisa to what would have been overtime in a preseason panaroma.)

5.Dorton (Have beat John's Creek I know recently and gave Pikeville all they wanted.)

6.John's Creek (Do not know very much but have gave Dorton and Pikeville all they wanted recently.)

7.Johnson Central (Recently defeated Adams and Whitaker though have not seen them in person.)

8.Whitaker (Wins earlier in the year against what I believe was a Dorton team without a key player but still a very talented team.)

9.Adams (Huge win over South Floyd, do not know anything else they have done other than playing Johnson Central really tough and two loses to Betsy Layne.)

10.South Floyd (Even though they have bad loses to us and Adams, still believe they can cause match up problems for a lot of teams they play and have the talent to upset really good teams.

Teams knocking on the door to the top 10.... Virgie, Belfry, Martin County, Allen Central

B team
1.Pikeville
2.Paintsville
3.Dorton
4.Whitaker
5.Martin County
6.John's Creek
7.Johnson Central
8.Allen Central
9.Betsy Layne
10.Adams

I do not know much about the b teams other than what I have seen in person (which is not much) and scores posted online. This could be way wrong. Floyd County's b team are not very strong and the top four, Adams, Allen Central, Betsy Layne and South Floyd could all beat each other on any given night.

C team
1.Kermit
2.Betsy Layne
3.Pikeville
4.Highlands
5.South Floyd
6.Painstville
7.Dorton
8.John's Creek
9.Virgie
10.Allen Central

This could be wrong as well. I know Pikeville and Kermit played in a tournament earlier this year but I have no clue who won. These could be wrong as well considering I have not seen everyone. Basing this off of scores of teams we have played.

For D teams or K/5 teams, I would take Betsy Layne's team over any team in the state. Majority of these 5th graders, who are all true 5th graders, start or get serious minutes for Betsy Layne's B team.
I do believe that mullins should be ranked in here somewhere. they are 6 and 1 there test will come in the up coming games against belfry,virgie,johns creek,then pikeville.
This teams athletic and young but are also playing some good basketball.
Mullins did lose to Dorton by 20, if they can beat one of those teams mentioned above then they can be deserving of a ranking.
Yes bearcat I do agree.
Like i said these upcoming games are going to be big games for the tigers!!!
well ive seen all them teams play virgie could be a team that Mullins should beat, it gets tougher after that for them after that, Belfry is pretty good they play everyone tough, but always seem to come up short, John's Creek is possibly the best defensive team in the county maybe the region, Pikeville is the best offensive team possibly in the region, so these games will be a stern test for them...
My top six..
1. Paintsville
2. Pikeville
3. Johns creek
4. Dorton
5. Betsy layne
6 Martin county
Have had some bad loses at the start of the season because they are young and have a new coach but they are coming together...They are gonna need practice during December...I aspect them to come back strong with that win over Millard at Millard.and the 1 point lose to Mullins at Elkhorn. In both of these games Trey Little played good.had 17 vs. Mullins and 21 vs. Millard Gary Lowe has been playing good...This team has come a long way...aspect good things in the future?
I would put South Floyd in front of Btesylayne or higher on the list in C team b/c the won the Right Beaver Classic.
I would put South Floyd in front of Betsylayne or higher on the list in C team. They won the Right Beaver Classic Tournament.
Knox co. 20-0
yes i do agree with everything you said bearcat. For mullins to beat jc there two bigs (blake wallace, and logan newsome) will really have to work inside to keep teddy smith and matt t off the boards. Also like any other team in the county you have to make the pikeville squad run offence and stop the fast breaks they have really good guard play and are a very athletic team. As for belfry they play hard and have a good point guard in cameron ( excuse me for not knowing his last name.) they also have a big inside named jarret james. he is about 6'4 long and lanky but not very strong or talented like other bigs in the county this year. In the virgie game mullins 8th graders will have to step up espicially there point guard hunter clark who will have to have a good defensive and offensive game to contain the young floor general chandler rowe. also logan newsome and blake wallace will have to rebound the ball to keep donavan layne and issac lucas off the boards also ryan eads will have to step up and play good defense. This will defenitly be a test for this young mullins squad. As Hunter Clark is there only returning starter, Logan Newsome 6th man and Wallace didnt play much A team last year. This is the last thing i will say on this subject. Goodluck to all the teams that were mentioned in this post.
well you forget about Seth Conn and Danny Adkins, Seth a very good point guard and is very good defensivly he would be a handful for anybody he has to guard on the perimeter, Danny Adkins is begining to be the guy to stabilize the inside with his rebounding, he and Teddy Smith maybe the best rebounders in the county, what he does is give JC another weapon and Pikeville knows all to well how good he is. Teddy Smith and Matt Turmire are a handful for anybody who guards them and when Seth and Danny are doing there thing this team is not only doublely tough defensive for anyone...