Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 19 - Beechwood 14
Final
Congrats to Mayfield...

Hope my Bulldogs give u a fight this time...
Closer than I thought it would be.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
^ Closer than Mayfield fans thought it would be Wink
Think Mayfield has played there toughest game this evening.
^ Way to take a shot at Hazard... But ur not the first.
congrats Mayfield
A lot closer that what I was anticipating!

Congrats Mayfield!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
ekff Wrote:^ Way to take a shot at Hazard... But ur not the first.

Not a shot, my opinion. Put it in Hazard's locker room and see if they prove it wrong.:thumpsup:
Why is Beechwood in the West anyway? This should be the title game on a neutral field every year. Instead. You got 2 inept mountain teams battling to get to the finals that otherwise would have been eliminated weeks ago.
^ Well, there went the shot across the bow!

The direction of the thread has just changed..... LOL
Wideleft01 Wrote:Why is Beechwood in the West anyway? This should be the title game on a neutral field every year. Instead. You got 2 inept mountain teams battling to get to the finals that otherwise would have been eliminated weeks ago.
"Two inept mountain teams"? You, sir, are an idiot. While I personally think Mayfield will win, Hazard (and Pikeville) were NOT inept mountain teams. Hazard is very athletic and pretty good sized, and will give Mayfield fits if they fix one thing, their kickoff and punt coverage, and tighten up their focus some. Will it be as close as the Beechwood game? No. But they show a lot of desire in addition to their talent, have good speed as well.
^
You can always leave it to the troll of the century in the form of wideleft to reject teams who play just as hard to be there as anyone else.
While ill agree that beechwood would blow out hazard and pikeville this year, there are a lot of years the one of those teaams actually deserve to be there.

The 2A state championship game will be the only one worth watching, the rest will be blowouts.
Wow! what a game, Bw is the real deal. They gave us everything and then some. Cards defense was the difference hold Beechwood to only 4 first downs on the night. Jonathan Jackson for Mayfield rushed for 184 yards and was the offensive difference. Bw is the best team far and away Mayfield has played this year
Class act team fans etc the Tigers of Beenchwood brought it tonight no reason in the world for them to walk off the field with their heads down the fans I met that was on the "Party Bus" were great. This may have been the game of the year regardless of what class.Mayfield it has been an honor to watch you play this year and now lets bring #9 back to town I think for the most part all of Western Ky is pulling for you there were fans from Marshall Graves and Paducah Tilghman there to watch good luck Cards
Pretty much what I expected, kind of low scoring. Great win for Mayfield and good luck in Bowling Green next week

As for Beechwood, they just can't get over the Mayfield hump
What kid was injured for the Cards? I was following it on the radio and never could find out.
Seth Clifton, one of starting O-linemen.
Congrats Mayfield!
Any word on BW's QB?
Beechwood 0 14 0 0 –- 14
Mayfield 7 6 0 6 -– 19

M-Jackson 53 run (Wynstra kick)
B-M. Nussbaum 5 run (J. Nussbaum kick)
B-Everett 69 pass from Davis (J. Nussbaum kick)
M-Jackson 7 run (kick blocked)
M-Jackson 3 run (pass failed)

Records: B 12-2, M 14-0.
MAYFIELD – When Beechwood took possession of the football on its own 30 with 2:45 left in Friday's Class A state semifinal game against Mayfield all it was up against was a five-point deficit, without its starting quarterback, facing the state's toughest defense to score on and having not recorded a single second-half first down at that point.

It came within 19 yards though of pulling out the victory before a fourth-down pass into the end zone went incomplete, albeit controversially, as Mayfield hung on for a 19-14 victory at War Memorial Stadium. It's the third straight season Mayfield defeated Beechwood in the semifinal round.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...311250196/

"It talks about their grit and their gusto and what they're willing to do when things aren't going their way to make that last drive," said Beechwood coach Noel Rash. "It speaks a lot about their work ethic and who they are as people. Our kids played incredible, it just wasn't enough."

Mayfield (14-0), which won its 29th straight game, advances to Friday's state championship game against Hazard, which beat Pikeville in Friday night's other semifinal, 57-35.

Beechwood (12-2) lost senior starting quarterback Taylor Davis with five minutes left in the third quarter when he took a hit while attempting to pass. At the time, the Tigers held a 14-13 lead, thanks in part to a 69-yard touchdown pass from Davis to senior Dane Everett early in the second quarter that put them ahead at the time 14-7.

Mayfield, which had allowed just 77 points in its first 13 games and hadn't trailed in a single game all season until that TD pass, took a 19-14 lead 43 seconds into the fourth quarter when junior running back Jonathan Jackson raced around left from three yards out to score. Jackson finished with 191 yards rushing on 27 carries and all three Mayfield touchdowns.

Beechwood's final chance came after it took over on its own 30 following a punt. With junior Max Nussbaum operating at quarterback, the Tigers needed seven plays to reach the Mayfield 19. Nussbaum had played some quarterback during the season, but mostly operated out of the "Wildcat" formation, something he did at times in Friday's game prior to Davis' injury. He made two big plays on the drive with his feet, the first a 24-yard scramble on 3rd-and-4 from the Beechwood 36 and the second a 20-yard run on a draw on 3rd-and-9 from the Mayfield 39 with a little over a minute left.

That's when the Beechwood drive stalled as Nussbaum, who finished with 110 yards rushing on 31 carries, threw an incompletion, was tackled on a running play for no gain, threw another incompletion and then on fourth down threw incomplete into the end zone on an attempt to senior Cameron Vocke, who was bumped by two defenders as the pass came his way.

"It clearly was interference, but what are you going to do?," said Rash. "There were other calls in the game that could have happened. You can't pin your hopes on that one call."

Beechwood finished with 188 yards total offense, just 67 in the second half, 54 of which came on the final drive. The speedy Vocke, who entered the game having rushed for 2,038 yards on 168 carries, had just two yards rushing on five carries as the Tigers' speed was neutralized by Mayfield's speed.

"They are extremely difficult to run the ball against, because they run extremely well and they're tenacious," said Rash.

Mayfield finished with 281 yards offense. Sophomore quarterback Jake Guhy, who entered the game having thrown for 2,129 yards, was just 11 of 22 for 94 yards and was intercepted three times, all in the first half.

Vocke had two of those interceptions, both in the first quarter, and the second one and ensuing 22-yard return gave Beechwood the ball at the Mayfield 41 to set up its first touchdown. It took the Tigers eight plays to march for the tying score with Nussbaum racing in from five yards out a little over a minute into the second quarter. Nussbaum carried seven times for 29 yards on the drive.

Then two plays after Beechwood forced a three-and-out and from the Tigers 31, Davis threw a perfect strike to Everett off a play-action fake and when the defender covering Everett fell down, Everett raced into the end zone untouched to give Beechwood a 14-7 lead with 9:11 left in the first half.

Mayfield responded on its next drive by going 80 yards in six plays with Jackson rushing into the end zone from seven yards out to make it 14-13 with 7:23 left in the half. The ensuing extra point try was blocked.

"Their defense is awful good," said Mayfield coach Joe Morris. "We couldn't make any plays on the edge. They did a great job of beating us up with not many people in the box, but in the second half we just gave it to No. 9 (Jackson) and let him roll."
TEAM STATISTICS
............................Beechwood...................Mayfield

First Downs.....................4..........................11

Rushing att.-yards............39-91......................33-177

Passing-yards...............5-17-1 100..................11-21-3 95

Total yards...................191.........................271

Penalty yards................12-115.......................5-38

Fumbles-lost..................1-0.........................0-0

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS
Rushing ? Beechwood: M. Nussbaum 29-
104, Vocke 6-2, Davis 4-(-15). Mayfield: J.
Jackson 29-184, Ross 1-1, Guhy 3-(-8).
Passing ? Beechwood: Davis 3-9-0 86,
M. Nussbaum 2-8-1 14. Mayfield: Guhy 11-
21-3 95.
Receiving ? Beechwood: D. Everett 2-76,
Vocke 1-9, Bradley 1-8, Talley 1-7. Mayfield:
Higginson 5-60, Love 2-19, J. Jackson 2
Good win for Mayfield. At least Hazard can say they got a State runner-up trophy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I will echo earlier thoughts again Beechwood is a class act group of people when Mayfield's Clifton went down with an injury the coach from Beechwood went over to check on him and you just do not see that very often, the fans were awesome,after the game, I had a lady from Beechwood that I met in the Dogg Pound(lol) ask me if she could meet Mayfield's No.9 because he was an excellent player when she got to him she hugged his neck and told him what a good player he was and Jackson asked her if her son played she said yes No 40 Jacksons response he is a very good player he hit me hard and please tell him he is good.That may sound boring or a non issue but that is what high school football is all about sporstmanship and they left it on the field
The penalty yardage/disparity is a little misleading because of the multiple flags thrown on Beechwood in the waning seconds. Not so sure about BW being a such a class act given their end of game conduct.
Tica, I put it this way this is my opinion and mine only it may get you a cup of water but mine nevertheless, that was emotion and emotion only with those flags at the end of the game, compared to last week and those players and fans they are still a class act I think the officials could not take the pressure of their no call at the end I mean really did the penalty help us any, no because it was one play to take a knee on.
diehardmayfieldfan Wrote:Tica, I put it this way this is my opinion and mine only it may get you a cup of water but mine nevertheless, that was emotion and emotion only with those flags at the end of the game, compared to last week and those players and fans they are still a class act I think the officials could not take the pressure of their no call at the end I mean really did the penalty help us any, no because it was one play to take a knee on.

I agree, some of our guys lost their cool at the end of our game last night also. Obviously you are disappointed and you want to see them handle adverse situations better, but it shouldn't negatively reflect on the program. I want to see all teams exhibit class and mutual respect on the field, but at the end of the day we have to remember that these are just kids and they make mistakes. I doubt any of the players that lost their cool last night are proud of their reactions.
gobigredMHS Wrote:Seth Clifton, one of starting O-linemen.
Thanks! I hope he's ok.
RoShamBo Wrote:I agree, some of our guys lost their cool at the end of our game last night also. Obviously you are disappointed and you want to see them handle adverse situations better, but it shouldn't negatively reflect on the program. I want to see all teams exhibit class and mutual respect on the field, but at the end of the day we have to remember that these are just kids and they make mistakes. I doubt any of the players that lost their cool last night are proud of their reactions.

None of those penalties were because of dirty play and that is the way I look at it. Beechwood is a class program and we saw plenty of good sportsmanship all game.