•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastest football player in your schools history?
honestjchsfan Wrote:I saw him Long Jump over 23 feet one day at Boyd Co. I think he still holds the Boyd CO invitaional meet record. What Postion did he play in football? He was not a very big guy. I figured he would have been a great WR. I know Russell ran one of them old time running offenses. I also remember a RED headed good looking female High Jumper from Russell around that same time.

He was a great athlete and played end and running back on offense. Defensive back on defense. Just didn't have a good feel for the game and was not very strong.

At 6'0" he could stand and jump and touch the top of the square on the backboard but couldn't make a layup.

Great athlete on the track. That was his home.
Santa Monica Wrote:Winston could jog 4.6! He ran 4.46 on Joker Phillips watch at UK's Senior Day camp in 2008. On wet grass. The Georgetown staff has timed him at 4.40.

If you say so. I'm not going to argue it, but I find that amazing having seen him play. I don't know if you have seen all of these guys but what would guess the following run/ran the 40 in: Storm Wilson, Erik Manning, John Cole, Scott Newell.
BoondockSaint Wrote:If I had video I'd post the whole game one play at a time. Jones could outrun Gross backwards, and three other Belfry players were faster than him without question, Matt Maynard, Doug Howard and James Akers.

Gross had great vision, good agility, and was tough to bring down, but a speedster he was not. He reminded me of a bigger version of Micah Caudill, also from Belfry, but he wasn't as fast as him either.

Gross rarely ran at full speed unless he was in the open. He always had that sudden burst to avoid a tackler. As Fball stated Gross at or around the 50 and headed for the corner of the end zone. Jones failed to catch him. I agree without a doubt Jones was the fastest player on the field. Howard would hurt you and was also fast.

Russell very well could have won that game had Gross not fumbled when he was about to score. That really Hurt Russells chances in that game.

Jones/Howard Gross/Clark That game could very wel have had 4 of the best backs in one game in a long time.
RoShamBo Wrote:If you say so. I'm not going to argue it, but I find that amazing having seen him play. I don't know if you have seen all of these guys but what would guess the following run/ran the 40 in: Storm Wilson, Erik Manning, John Cole, Scott Newell.

If you saw him play against Somerset (in 2007, the game that ended at 2;30 am) you should believe it. He sure showed his speed that night. On the others, I would guess:
John Cole - 4.40 (I am told he ran 4.39 at Vandy's Sr. Day camp. I saw him and Winston compete against each other in several track meets. I can beleive Cole's times)
Storm Wilson - 4.55 to 4.60 - I have seen Storm play since he was a little dude. Good player. He shows some breakaway speed.
Scott Newell - 4.55-4.6 (I did see him play many times. This is a guess)
Eric Manning - 4.65-4.7 (Guess)

I see a lot of local track meets and follow those times. Hard to tell on Storm because he plays baseball in the spring. I don't remember Scott Newell running any better than 11.5 or so in the 100. That is really good, though. Manning I think played baseball too, so I never saw him run.

What do you think some other PC guys ran?
RC White
Ronnie Claibourne
Stephen McQueen
Alex Abner
Santa Monica Wrote:If you saw him play against Somerset (in 2007, the game that ended at 2;30 am) you should believe it. He sure showed his speed that night. On the others, I would guess:
John Cole - 4.40 (I am told he ran 4.39 at Vandy's Sr. Day camp. I saw him and Winston compete against each other in several track meets. I can beleive Cole's times)
Storm Wilson - 4.55 to 4.60 - I have seen Storm play since he was a little dude. Good player. He shows some breakaway speed.
Scott Newell - 4.55-4.6 (I did see him play many times. This is a guess)
Eric Manning - 4.65-4.7 (Guess)

I see a lot of local track meets and follow those times. Hard to tell on Storm because he plays baseball in the spring. I don't remember Scott Newell running any better than 11.5 or so in the 100. That is really good, though. Manning I think played baseball too, so I never saw him run.

What do you think some other PC guys ran?
RC White
Ronnie Claibourne
Stephen McQueen
Alex Abner

I was just curious. I did see Winston in the 2007 game and have probably seen him more than any PC player over the past five or six years which is why I was surprised when you said he ran a 4.4. You are actually pretty spot on with those times except Scotty was probably more of a 4.65 consistently.

Honestly I wouldn't have thought any of those guys you listed would be below a 4.6 but if Winston runs 4.4 I don't even want to try to make a guess. :biggrin:
RoShamBo Wrote:I was just curious. I did see Winston in the 2007 game and have probably seen him more than any PC player over the past five or six years which is why I was surprised when you said he ran a 4.4. You are actually pretty spot on with those times except Scotty was probably more of a 4.65 consistently.

Honestly I wouldn't have thought any of those guys you listed would be below a 4.6 but if Winston runs 4.4 I don't even want to try to make a guess. :biggrin:

I am surprised you didn't mention Paw Paw Newell. I would have thought he was faster than any of those Somerset guys you mentioned except maybe Cole?
Jerome Christian for hazard in the 90s or Jamal Howard-dereck combs in the early 2000s
That was lance burnett at bell high who was the fastest sprinter of all time. His 100 m.d. record at bell is 10.29, but he only ran a 10.86 that year at regionals.
How about a kid who weighs 210 lbs. And runs consistent 4.4 406 dash. Let's hear it for Lance Burnett
NothingTrivial Wrote:When it comes to on the field it was robbins....the fastest in a footrace may have been Steven Hunter, I always thought they could have used his speed alot more than they did.
Lance Burnett ran 4.43 and school record in 100 m.d at 10.29, and was 210 lbs. Also still has 3 of the tp 5 scores on the fitness test.
Scotty Edwards was said to have run a 4.3 forty, he was tailback on Caldwell County's 1963 state championship team, he went to Georgetown on a track scholarship.
If time, space and age weren't impediments, Somerset could have a pretty impressive heat to determine the fastest:

Jeff "Slick" Perkins (1965-68)
Mitch Gaines (1971-74)
Thomas "Pete" Venable (1975-78)
Tremayne Perkins (1997-2000)
Brandon "Paw Paw" Newell (1999-2002)
John Cole (2004-07)
Storm Wilson (2007-2010)
Cam Chevrount (2010-2013)

Personally, I would "bet the box" on Venable, Cole and Chevrount to finish in the top three. Some of the others were maybe more impressive in some ways on the football field, of course, but in terms of pure, straight-line "speed" on a flat surface, those three were pretty impressive.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:At Whitley it was probably LaDale Rider.
No, he wasnt a 4.4 guy.
He ran a 4.7, which is still extremely fast. Im not sure if there was ever a quicker guy on the football field though, he could cut like nobody ive ever seen. Vertically, he would get chased down from time to time by a quick d back, but man he could make em miss.

Gut I would put Jermiah Morgan or Paul White on the list at Whitley....
Lance could fly no doubt. I would put Cory Davenport on that list he could run under a 4.5 all day everyday. Dallas Greer was fast as heck too. At a combine he ran a 4.43 and UK signed him. Shawn was special too. Hunter was a mid 4.6 guy, that is pretty dang fast for a high school kid anywhere. But not 1 of the fastest at Bell. He could however be the best WR ever at Bell.
One of the fastest for Lawrence County was Michael West. I remember him running down Arliss Beach in like 97 or 98, don't remember they year.
Lawrence had the game won and both teams were starting to put the Jv in.
Arliss broke a play around the left side and was easily seperating from everyone on the field. Now at that time people at LC loved to pile up in the end zones to see the games. I was standing around a few people from Ashland and when Arlis broke free into open field they all said he was gone. With about a 10 yard gap from about the 50 Michael West ran him down and made the tackle on about the 3 yard line. All the people from Ashland were shocked. In defense of Arliss he did look like he let up a little right before he thaught he was going to cross the goal line because I don't think he even expected anyone to be close, but Michael got him. I have this game on film. I don't know who between the two would win in a foot race but in a helmet and pads West could fly. I don't know anything about 40 times or anything like that and I don't know if West ever ran any track or got timed in the 40, but you can tell when a player is fast and can seperate from everyone on the field and Michael could.
Q Baker will end up being Ashlands fastest player ( been laser 4.4 40) but kid at GW who is at UNC now fastest kid I've ever seen on a High School field. His name is Ryan Switzer some of you might have heard of him.
Another few for the Dawg's with a lot of speed and quickness were Dontae Wright and Lary West. I think Larry West is still playing defensive back for the Pikeville Bears. Dontae put on some weight and played for Miami Ohio as a linebacker.
OldJacket Wrote:Gut I would put Jermiah Morgan or Paul White on the list at Whitley....

Jeremiah was fast and I've seen a few before him that were as fast or faster
http://ky.milesplit.com/athletes/106989-...8yJruNdX5N
Davenport and Cole are two of the fastest I've ever seen. For a big guy Channing Fugate was fast. Damien Harris is the best I've ever seen. As for Cumberland, my school, Ravizee, Tinsley, and Chapman. McQuilham honorable mention.
Jeremiah Morgan was the fastest kid I have seen at Whitley County. Cole was the fastest kid at Somerset. Timmy Cornett was the fastest kid at Williamsburg.
T-CATS Wrote:Q Baker will end up being Ashlands fastest player ( been laser 4.4 40) but kid at GW who is at UNC now fastest kid I've ever seen on a High School field. His name is Ryan Switzer some of you might have heard of him.

Yea Switzer was so fast it wasnt fair. I bet he ran a sub 4.4. Absolutely blazing and hit full speed after about 2 steps then he was gone. Baker is awful dang quik to. Still cant believe Raceland was able to contain him, problem was, we couldnt do anything with Prince up the middle. With Long in the mix, Ashland has alot of speed in the backfield. Whats Long's 40?
Do-double-gg Wrote:One of the fastest for Lawrence County was Michael West. I remember him running down Arliss Beach in like 97 or 98, don't remember they year.
Lawrence had the game won and both teams were starting to put the Jv in.
Arliss broke a play around the left side and was easily seperating from everyone on the field. Now at that time people at LC loved to pile up in the end zones to see the games. I was standing around a few people from Ashland and when Arlis broke free into open field they all said he was gone. With about a 10 yard gap from about the 50 Michael West ran him down and made the tackle on about the 3 yard line. All the people from Ashland were shocked. In defense of Arliss he did look like he let up a little right before he thaught he was going to cross the goal line because I don't think he even expected anyone to be close, but Michael got him. I have this game on film. I don't know who between the two would win in a foot race but in a helmet and pads West could fly. I don't know anything about 40 times or anything like that and I don't know if West ever ran any track or got timed in the 40, but you can tell when a player is fast and can seperate from everyone on the field and Michael could.

he was fast. I probably drove a few hours to watch him put on a clinic against my team Confusednicker:
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Yea Switzer was so fast it wasnt fair. I bet he ran a sub 4.4. Absolutely blazing and hit full speed after about 2 steps then he was gone. Baker is awful dang quik to. Still cant believe Raceland was able to contain him, problem was, we couldnt do anything with Prince up the middle. With Long in the mix, Ashland has alot of speed in the backfield. Whats Long's 40?
Switzerland ran under 4.3 and Long is sub 4.5. Raceland might not be able to contain Baker this year!
I've got a couple. First, for Pikeville, I know Hail Pikeville said JI Joplin, and he may be right. I don't have 40-times for anybody, but Cody Estep would certainly have to be in the argument. But my vote would have to go to Steve Bailey from the 1989 team. I also spent about a decade around the Prestonsburg team and would have to give a shout out to Nick Jamerson. He made a career out of running down RBs that broke into the open and catching them - many times from the opposite side of the field - before they got to the goalline. And last, I certainly agree with Somerset fans' vote of Pete Venable. I watched him wear Pikeville out in the 1978 State Semi-Final game.
Arlis Beach has 100 meter record at Ashland. 11.23!
All these sub 4.5 times are cracking me up. I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I don't think people realize just how fast that really is. There may be some sub 40 times on here that are accurate, but I doubt they all are.
Bell co fans are forgetting about Carlos Muncey and Ray Stepp they both where fast not sure about forty time but I'd say in the top ten in speed at Bell Co

Jones the QB for the 91 state team was fast as well again not sure of time but they could fly
they all seem very fast.
I have always heard Alan Leforce and Kenneth Byrd were fastest ever at the burg. NO time but Leforce ran track for Eastern and was their sprint man. I don't think he was beaten on the 100 yd dash.
As far as somerset's fastest man goes John cole was fast, but cam chevaunt as far as track speed goes was faster.perkins was fast also but Brandon brooks was faster than him. That is a name people are forgetting he had field speed. His fastest time in the 40 was 4.4.8. I watched him play every single game his senior year and he was one of the most exciting and explosive highschool players I have ever seen.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next