Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tea Party Candidates for President
Anita Perry said God told her that Rick should run for President. Now to my question. Are republicans that vote for other conservative candidates voting against God?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#44892421
Religious bigotry is as ugly to witness as any other type.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Religious bigotry is as ugly to witness as any other type.
It was an honest question. How do Christians know which conservative candidate to vote for if one or more says God told them to run?
TheRealVille Wrote:Anita Perry said God told her that Rick should run for President. Now to my question. Are republicans that vote for other conservative candidates voting against God?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#44892421
No it wasn't, it was just another of you attempts to ridicule Christians. Let us assume for the sake of argumrent that your question was merely one born of genuine ignorance and not of your religious bigotry. If Mrs. Perry received a message from God that her husband should run, how does that translate to a message that I should vote for him? Maybe God just wants to make sure that Satin cannot focus his efforts to reelect Obama too early by giving his fear and smear campaign too many targets. Or maybe He wants to teach a very succesful Texas governor a lesson in humility.

Mrs. Perry did not say that God told her that anybody who votes for the Hermanator is bound for hell. She did not even imply that good told her that Perry is destined to win.

Now, back to your latest exercise in Christian bashing....
America is in serious trouble if the Republican candidates keep throwing God's name out. Mike Huckabee said it best in the last elections debates ""Jesus was too smart to ever run for public office...that's what Jesus would do."

I don't hate, but I come close when ANY candidate for ANY party tries to ''ride Jesus to the White House' I have no problem with someone saying they are Christian, or saying that their faith helps them make decisions, but leave all the quotes, the God told me to, God is punishing Washington, God makes hurricanes kill hundreds of people because we didn't support house bill blah blah blah. It is that junk that makes people dislike Christianity in politics. Do Christians need to hide faith or abandon it? NO! Just stop making comments like that about it.

I am a proponent of people that let their ACTIONS speak for their faith. Not telling a crowd that "Jesus made me do it" "God told me to run" "God is punishing Washington"

One thing that is appalling is how much media tries to run with these things. If it keeps up, it will go from a non-Christian could never be in the White House to a place where a Christian can never win. Then again, some of the best Presidents had questionable religious beliefs (See Thomas Jefferson and others)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No it wasn't, it was just another of you attempts to ridicule Christians. Let us assume for the sake of argumrent that your question was merely one born of genuine ignorance and not of your religious bigotry. If Mrs. Perry received a message from God that her husband should run, how does that translate to a message that I should vote for him? Maybe God just wants to make sure that Satin cannot focus his efforts to reelect Obama too early by giving his fear and smear campaign too many targets. Or maybe He wants to teach a very succesful Texas governor a lesson in humility.

Mrs. Perry did not say that God told her that anybody who votes for the Hermanator is bound for hell. She did not even imply that good told her that Perry is destined to win.

Now, back to your latest exercise in Christian bashing....
Sure it wasn't. I'm glad for you that you have reached enlightenment in "your" religion though, to where you know what other people are thinking. Since you aren't a Christian, my question didn't pertain to you, so if you don't mind, let one of the Christians answer the question.
LWC Wrote:America is in serious trouble if the Republican candidates keep throwing God's name out. Mike Huckabee said it best in the last elections debates ""Jesus was too smart to ever run for public office...that's what Jesus would do."

I don't hate, but I come close when ANY candidate for ANY party tries to ''ride Jesus to the White House' I have no problem with someone saying they are Christian, or saying that their faith helps them make decisions, but leave all the quotes, the God told me to, God is punishing Washington, God makes hurricanes kill hundreds of people because we didn't support house bill blah blah blah. It is that junk that makes people dislike Christianity in politics. Do Christians need to hide faith or abandon it? NO! Just stop making comments like that about it.

I am a proponent of people that let their ACTIONS speak for their faith. Not telling a crowd that "Jesus made me do it" "God told me to run" "God is punishing Washington"

One thing that is appalling is how much media tries to run with these things. If it keeps up, it will go from a non-Christian could never be in the White House to a place where a Christian can never win. Then again, some of the best Presidents had questionable religious beliefs (See Thomas Jefferson and others)
Thanks for the answer LWC, I just wanted a Christians' thoughts on what they thought about her statement.
TheRealVille Wrote:Sure it wasn't. I'm glad for you that you have reached enlightenment in "your" religion though, to where you know what other people are thinking. Since you aren't a Christian, my question didn't pertain to you, so if you don't mind, let one of the Christians answer the question.
I don't believe atheists are qualified to judge who and who is not a Christian. The intent of your question is clear. You are the biggest religious bigot on this website, which is a shame. There is nothing inconsistent with a person being both an atheist and respectful of people who hold religious beliefs. Mrs. Perry's statement will have no impact on her husband's campaign, positive or negative.

Rick Perry has not run a good campaign so far and most of his support has shifted to Herman Cain. Unless there is a late entry into the race, this could become a two-man race between Romney and Cain. The Christian-bashing that leftists like you have been doing is unnecessary and counter-productive. The damage on Perry's campaign has been self-inflicted. While Obama's hatchet men have been focused on smearing Perry, Cain has emerged as a much bigger threat. Obama does not want to debate Cain on taxes or the economy with a national audience watching.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't believe atheists are qualified to judge who and who is not a Christian. The intent of your question is clear. You are the biggest religious bigot on this website, which is a shame. There is nothing inconsistent with a person being both an atheist and respectful of people who hold religious beliefs. Mrs. Perry's statement will have no impact on her husband's campaign, positive or negative.

Rick Perry has not run a good campaign so far and most of his support has shifted to Herman Cain. Unless there is a late entry into the race, this could become a two-man race between Romney and Cain. The Christian-bashing that leftists like you have been doing is unnecessary and counter-productive. The damage on Perry's campaign has been self-inflicted. While Obama's hatchet men have been focused on smearing Perry, Cain has emerged as a much bigger threat. Obama does not want to debate Cain on taxes or the economy with a national audience watching.
I have tons of respect for Christians like LWC and Deathstar. I have zero respect for christians like Anita Perry, that use god for public and political gain. Again, I'm glad you have the ability to think you know everything. LWC answered my question, you can bow out now.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't believe atheists are qualified to judge who and who is not a Christian. The intent of your question is clear. You are the biggest religious bigot on this website, which is a shame. There is nothing inconsistent with a person being both an atheist and respectful of people who hold religious beliefs. Mrs. Perry's statement will have no impact on her husband's campaign, positive or negative.

Right, you are the epitome of someone who respects other people of differing beliefs. :hilarious:
TheRealVille Wrote:Right, you are the epitome of someone who respects other people of differing beliefs. :hilarious:
Let's face the hard facts that everyone on this board knows, Hoot. If the Christians on this board were on the opposite side of the political fence as you, as you have proved many times before with people that don't believe like you, you would ridicule them to no end. You have proven this fact many, many times before. The only reason you aren't ridiculing christians right now, is the fact that they are a means to your political end.
LWC Wrote:America is in serious trouble if the Republican candidates keep throwing God's name out. Mike Huckabee said it best in the last elections debates ""Jesus was too smart to ever run for public office...that's what Jesus would do."

I think you're being a little harsh with some good people that likely you would be proud to attend church with. To me the worst mistake he has made is to go a little overboard in proclaiming his allegiance to the Lord Jesus Christ.

It's a fine line he has to walk. I can't blame Perry for standing tall in not being ashamed of Jesus. As far as Anita is concerned, if they prayed about it as a family, as they should have, and Governor Perry felt led to run for the Presidency, why was she so out of line to say what she did? I would venture all of those washed in the blood of the Savior have felt led to do things more than once. If nothing else, the truth about Mitt Romney's chruch affiliation has emerged and, it wasn't Perry that brought that out. It was Robert Jeffress, Pastor of a well known and respected Dallas church.

I thought Perry was overkilling in the area of faith too. Mitt Romney, on the other hand was handling things in a way much less likely to brand him as out of the mainstream. I believe the matter of faith is critical in that it goes to the types of decisions the candidate will likely make while in office. To me it's more of a matter of opening himself up for unneccessary criticisms and ridicule from his political opponents. It's great that he has the matter of his personal salvation issues settled but, it's almost like he is signaling that he will evangelize a little from office, which I believe will hurt him. I don't mistrust him because of that but, I think it's somewhat unfortunate he chooses to be so overt about it all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Your last sentence summed it up.

I have no problem with faith proclaimations, but who gets in front of a reporter or camera and makes that statement? One of the biggest problems with Christian politicians is that they need to do more like:

Matthew 6:6 Wrote:But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

The idea of that is that is many people seem to share their faith for attention. I do not pretend to know the secret heart of mankind, but at the same time, many politicians understand that just by saying they are a Christian, they will gain thousands of votes. I can make that assumption about votes because I know dozens and dozens of people that vote based on which candidate is more "Christian" than the other. I have no real problem with that because every person is entitled to their vote for any candidate and for any reason. Yet that can get dangerous in the world we live.

Tell me if I am wrong, because I do not think I am. A republican could NEVER get their parties nomination if they were not a professing Christian. They do not have to attend church or give sermons or evangelize but they have to have the label and and make that statement. Actively going to church and having a "faith that bears fruit" only helps them. A democrat would never HAVE to be a professing Christian to win their primary, maybe the general election, but not the primary. If they were an active Christian, if they evangelized, if they had "fruits of the spirit" evident in their lives, it might HURT their chances in the primary. I do not like that system. At one time (I no longer hold a party affiliation, and will NOT vote in any local primary or general election, and my only vote will be for president, if that. If anyone wants to know I will explain but it is for personal pastoral reasons) in high school I was a registered democrat but for reasons of fiscal and war policy not social issues. Whenever voting time would come around, and I would tell the Young Republicans club that I was a democrat when asked about election matters, I got responses like "BABY KILLER", "YOU HATE JESUS", "YOU SUPPORT ABORTIONS AND GAY PEOPLE GETTING MARRIED", I am 99% sure the same kind of things would happen on the other side of the fence as well because I heard Young Democrats say, "Those Jesus-loving republicans are ignorant", "Who could believe in a God that told people to do the Crusades" "They want to give money to the filthy billionaires" etc....

Why do people have to categorize others because of what is on their voter registration card? Just because you are affiliated with a party does NOT mean you hold to every single issue that they believe. The reg. card I was handed had 3 options, Dem Rep or Ind, if I remember correctly. In the county that I am from, you could not cast a real vote in the primary if you were a democrat because there were never two democrats running for the same office. There was NEVER an independent running for anything, so why register independent, (I thought then, that is what I am registered now, I think)

Sorry for the small rant-like posts, lol. Back to the question at hand.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:I think you're being a little harsh with some good people that likely you would be proud to attend church with. To me the worst mistake he has made is to go a little overboard in proclaiming his allegiance to the Lord Jesus Christ.

It's a fine line he has to walk. I can't blame Perry for standing tall in not being ashamed of Jesus. As far as Anita is concerned, if they prayed about it as a family, as they should have, and Governor Perry felt led to run for the Presidency, why was she so out of line to say what she did? I would venture all of those washed in the blood of the Savior have felt led to do things more than once. If nothing else, the truth about Mitt Romney's chruch affiliation has emerged and, it wasn't Perry that brought that out. It was Robert Jeffress, Pastor of a well known and respected Dallas church.

I thought Perry was overkilling in the area of faith too. Mitt Romney, on the other hand was handling things in a way much less likely to brand him as out of the mainstream. I believe the matter of faith is critical in that it goes to the types of decisions the candidate will likely make while in office. To me it's more of a matter of opening himself up for unneccessary criticisms and ridicule from his political opponents. It's great that he has the matter of his personal salvation issues settled but, it's almost like he is signaling that he will evangelize a little from office, which I believe will hurt him. I don't mistrust him because of that but, I think it's somewhat unfortunate he chooses to be so overt about it all.
What truth? He has always said he was a mormon, even before the last election. Is being a mormon a reason to not vote for Romney? I am just wondering.
^A lot of people are wondering about what sect of Mormonism he is.

There are different "denominations" (for lack of a better term) of Mormonism. Some forcefully marry young girls to old men, some believe you have to have 7 wives to get to Heaven, etc... things that would be a detriment to a politician running for the highest office, in terms of election (I use that term politically, not religiously).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:^A lot of people are wondering about what sect of Mormonism he is.

There are different "denominations" (for lack of a better term) of Mormonism. Some forcefully marry young girls to old men, some believe you have to have 7 wives to get to Heaven, etc... things that would be a detriment to a politician running for the highest office, in terms of election (I use that term politically, not religiously).
Romney is a mainstream in a religious sense as any candidate in the race. There is absolutely no reason to believe that he belongs to a lunatic fringe sect of the Church of the LDS. The Church of the LDS does not condone any of the practices that you mentioned. I have good friends who are Mormons and it is no more reasonable to suspect Mormons of being "out of the mainstream" than it is to suspect anybody else of secretly belonging to a cult. I don't care what kind of religious credentials that people who spread these vicious rumors hold, they are just as much religious bigots as those who belittle Christians at every opportunity.
TheRealVille Wrote:What truth? He has always said he was a mormon, even before the last election. Is being a mormon a reason to not vote for Romney? I am just wondering.

Not wanting to get into a what's wrong with the Mormon's debate. :biggrin: To answer your question as directly as possible no, the fact that he is a Mormon would not stop me from voting for him, especially if the choices are Romney or Obama. I think Romney is a RINO hence, his appeal to the dems who can see the writting on the wall this 2012.

I always vote for the BEST candidate, if he's a dem or a republican, Independent, whatever.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If I know anything about Mormons, it's these two things.

1. I think their religion is ridiculously out there...just my opinion on it.

2. They are BY FAR the nicest, best people out of all the religions I've came in contact with, by far.

If anything, Romney being a Mormon would make me vote for him even more. But it doesn't. I don't look at religion when I'm deciding who to vote for.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Romney is a mainstream in a religious sense as any candidate in the race. There is absolutely no reason to believe that he belongs to a lunatic fringe sect of the Church of the LDS. The Church of the LDS does not condone any of the practices that you mentioned. I have good friends who are Mormons and it is no more reasonable to suspect Mormons of being "out of the mainstream" than it is to suspect anybody else of secretly belonging to a cult. I don't care what kind of religious credentials that people who spread these vicious rumors hold, they are just as much religious bigots as those who belittle Christians at every opportunity.
Any different than people who belittle people of differing beliefs of any kind?
TheRealVille Wrote:Any different than people who belittle people of differing beliefs of any kind?
You mean people like me who belittle bigots? Yeah, I think so. I have my share of faults but racial or religious bigotry is not among them. Unless you count hating radical Islamists. Peaceful religions are a force for good in this world, IMO.

As for belittling people for their beliefs, if those beliefs involve the belief that they can do more good with my money than I can do with it myself and that my money is only mine if the government decides to let me keep some of it, then I plead guilty to that charge. Most socialists are the scum of the earth and deserve whatever ridicule comes their way. The rest of them are paving the way to hell with their good intentions and defective thinking.
vundy33 Wrote:If I know anything about Mormons, it's these two things.

1. I think their religion is ridiculously out there...just my opinion on it.

2. They are BY FAR the nicest, best people out of all the religions I've came in contact with, by far.

If anything, Romney being a Mormon would make me vote for him even more. But it doesn't. I don't look at religion when I'm deciding who to vote for.
I agree with you about Mormons, Vundy. All of them that I have ever known are fine people. However, some of the nicest, most hard working, and honest people I have ever met are devout Hindus.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You mean people like me who belittle bigots? Yeah, I think so. I have my share of faults but racial or religious bigotry is not among them. Unless you count hating radical Islamists. Peaceful religions are a force for good in this world, IMO.

As for belittling people for their beliefs, if those beliefs involve the belief that they can do more good with my money than I can do with it myself and that my money is only mine if the government decides to let me keep some of it, then I plead guilty to that charge. Most socialists are the scum of the earth and deserve whatever ridicule comes their way. The rest of them are paving the way to hell with their good intentions and defective thinking.
If you think christianity is a peaceful religion, you know a different christianity than I do. When you say Hindus or Buddists are peaceful, I can agree with you.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Romney is a mainstream in a religious sense as any candidate in the race. There is absolutely no reason to believe that he belongs to a lunatic fringe sect of the Church of the LDS. The Church of the LDS does not condone any of the practices that you mentioned. I have good friends who are Mormons and it is no more reasonable to suspect Mormons of being "out of the mainstream" than it is to suspect anybody else of secretly belonging to a cult. I don't care what kind of religious credentials that people who spread these vicious rumors hold, they are just as much religious bigots as those who belittle Christians at every opportunity.

Wow, looks like I upset the apple cart.

There are sects of Mormonism that have those views. Tell me I am wrong, and I will show you that I am not. Not all Mormons believe the way those sects do, but there are some that do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:^Your last sentence summed it up.

I have no problem with faith proclaimations, but who gets in front of a reporter or camera and makes that statement? One of the biggest problems with Christian politicians is that they need to do more like:

The idea of that is that is many people seem to share their faith for attention. I do not pretend to know the secret heart of mankind, but at the same time, many politicians understand that just by saying they are a Christian, they will gain thousands of votes. I can make that assumption about votes because I know dozens and dozens of people that vote based on which candidate is more "Christian" than the other. I have no real problem with that because every person is entitled to their vote for any candidate and for any reason. Yet that can get dangerous in the world we live.

Tell me if I am wrong, because I do not think I am. A republican could NEVER get their parties nomination if they were not a professing Christian. They do not have to attend church or give sermons or evangelize but they have to have the label and and make that statement. Actively going to church and having a "faith that bears fruit" only helps them. A democrat would never HAVE to be a professing Christian to win their primary, maybe the general election, but not the primary. If they were an active Christian, if they evangelized, if they had "fruits of the spirit" evident in their lives, it might HURT their chances in the primary. I do not like that system. At one time (I no longer hold a party affiliation, and will NOT vote in any local primary or general election, and my only vote will be for president, if that. If anyone wants to know I will explain but it is for personal pastoral reasons) in high school I was a registered democrat but for reasons of fiscal and war policy not social issues. Whenever voting time would come around, and I would tell the Young Republicans club that I was a democrat when asked about election matters, I got responses like "BABY KILLER", "YOU HATE JESUS", "YOU SUPPORT ABORTIONS AND GAY PEOPLE GETTING MARRIED", I am 99% sure the same kind of things would happen on the other side of the fence as well because I heard Young Democrats say, "Those Jesus-loving republicans are ignorant", "Who could believe in a God that told people to do the Crusades" "They want to give money to the filthy billionaires" etc....

Why do people have to categorize others because of what is on their voter registration card? Just because you are affiliated with a party does NOT mean you hold to every single issue that they believe. The reg. card I was handed had 3 options, Dem Rep or Ind, if I remember correctly. In the county that I am from, you could not cast a real vote in the primary if you were a democrat because there were never two democrats running for the same office. There was NEVER an independent running for anything, so why register independent, (I thought then, that is what I am registered now, I think)

Sorry for the small rant-like posts, lol. Back to the question at hand.

To what I have bolded, there is no doubt about it. At the same time SOME dems would vote for the anti-christ if he said he was a democrat.

I remember the line on Gerald Ford when he was running for election against Carter. If you will remember, Carter announced he was a "born again" Christian. That prompted Ford supporters to come out with this statement "Gerald Ford is a quietly religious man who doesn't believe in wearing his religion on his sleeve". I always doubted that faith had much of a role in Ford's life but, from that day it's been the norm for candidates to declare themselves just to get the Christian vote, as Jimmy Carter won the election thanks in no small manner to the religious vote.

That doesn't mean it's not important to know what the candidates believe. For instance, I will never knowingly vote for a candidate that is Pro Choice. I believe if a voter casts his vote for a democrat (just because he/she is a democrat) in spite of the fact they are Pro Choice, that voter will bear a share of the responsibility for the deaths of the unborn, and the ramifications of any long lasting legislation that candidate helps to enact that adversely affect the lives of the unborn for as long as that legislation is in effect. The reason the dems generally don't get my support is they tend to be Pro Choice, support the gay agenda and they tend to view the constitution as a living document. They believe the basic tenets of the constitution should mutate along with the current social values of this nation and, they make and enforce, or don't enforce, laws in that light. When one considers the recent and ongoing events of the Occupy Wall Street movement it is easy to see why the notion of changing with the times is foolhardy. We have come full circle from the madness of the 60's when hippies redefined acceptable moral behavior across the spectrum of American life from free sex (like a heard of bison) to blowing up buildings ala Bill Ayers and the Weather Underground terrorists. And now we see the resurgence of the same kind of mindless actions in NY and places all across the land.

I want to make sure I'm voting for people who can be depended on to "stay the course" and govern with integrity, appoint judges of fiber and lean on the hard lessons of history. IMO letting the liberals drive the bus should only happen on short trips until they stop steering toward la-la land.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:Wow, looks like I upset the apple cart.

There are sects of Mormonism that have those views. Tell me I am wrong, and I will show you that I am not. Not all Mormons believe the way those sects do, but there are some that do.
The people who believe and practice their faith in the manner that you described are not part of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. So, implying that because Romney is a member of that church, he may condone forcing young girls to marry old men or that he may be secretly planning to wed another six women to gain entry into Heaven is ridiculous. It is as unfair as alleging that because Rick Perry is a Christian, he may share the beliefs of Fred Phelps and the members of the Westboro Baptist Church, even though that church is not a member of any "any known Baptist conventions or associations" [according to Wikipedia].

Nothing in Romney's background, including his father's long career in politics and the auto industry suggests that he is part of any radical Mormon sect. Those who try to connect those dots are engaging in an old-fashioned witch hunt.
TheRealVille Wrote:If you think christianity is a peaceful religion, you know a different christianity than I do. When you say Hindus or Buddists are peaceful, I can agree with you.

Just because the Knights Templar and others have in times past gone out and committed the very questionable deeds that are clearly recorded in history does not mean that when they SAID they were doing it all in God's name, He in any way endorsed their actions.

The same is true about the atrocities of the world wars and other things men have done. We have free will, God allows us to do what we will while we are on the stage of life. We all have a conscience and we all will answer for eveything that we do. Heck, even Hitler claimed to be a Christian. Real Christianity is peaceful. But, as in the case of Israel when one is being threatened he is to meet fire with fire.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:To what I have bolded, there is no doubt about it. At the same time SOME dems would vote for the anti-christ if he said he was a democrat.

I remember the line on Gerald Ford when he was running for election against Carter. If you will remember, Carter announced he was a "born again" Christian. That prompted Ford supporters to come out with this statement "Gerald Ford is a quietly religious man who doesn't believe in wearing his religion on his sleeve". I always doubted that faith had much of a role in Ford's life but, from that day it's been the norm for candidates to declare themselves just to get the Christian vote, as Jimmy Carter won the election thanks in no small manner to the religious vote.

That doesn't mean it's not important to know what the candidates believe. For instance, I will never knowingly vote for a candidate that is Pro Choice. I believe if a voter casts his vote for a democrat (just because he/she is a democrat) in spite of the fact they are Pro Choice, that voter will bear a share of the responsibility for the deaths of the unborn, and the ramifications of any long lasting legislation that candidate helps to enact that adversely affect the lives of the unborn for as long as that legislation is in effect. The reason the dems generally don't get my support is they tend to be Pro Choice, support the gay agenda and they tend to view the constitution as a living document. They believe the basic tenets of the constitution should mutate along with the current social values of this nation and, they make and enforce, or don't enforce, laws in that light. When one considers the recent and ongoing events of the Occupy Wall Street movement it is easy to see why the notion of changing with the times is foolhardy. We have come full circle from the madness of the 60's when hippies redefined acceptable moral behavior across the spectrum of American life from free sex (like a heard of bison) to blowing up buildings ala Bill Ayers and the Weather Underground terrorists. And now we see the resurgence of the same kind of mindless actions in NY and places all across the land.

I want to make sure I'm voting for people who can be depended on to "stay the course" and govern with integrity, appoint judges of fiber and lean on the hard lessons of history. IMO letting the liberals drive the bus should only happen on short trips until they stop steering toward la-la land.
When people vote for Democrats for national office, they are voting in favor of abortion rights and every other item on the liberal agenda, regardless of what the individual candidate who gets their vote believes. The single most important vote that any US Senator or member of the House of Representatives casts is the one that determines which party controls the legislative agenda. I don't care if a Democratic candidate shares every one of my own beliefs, unless he can convince me that if elected, he will not vote to give control of Congress to Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi (or other radical liberals), he has zero chance of getting my vote.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The people who believe and practice their faith in the manner that you described are not part of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. So, implying that because Romney is a member of that church, he may condone forcing young girls to marry old men or that he may be secretly planning to wed another six women to gain entry into Heaven is ridiculous. It is as unfair as alleging that because Rick Perry is a Christian, he may share the beliefs of Fred Phelps and the members of the Westboro Baptist Church, even though that church is not a member of any "any known Baptist conventions or associations" [according to Wikipedia].

Nothing in Romney's background, including his father's long career in politics and the auto industry suggests that he is part of any radical Mormon sect. Those who try to connect those dots are engaging in an old-fashioned witch hunt.

Your argument is exactly right IMO as it applies in the secular realm. What LWC is referring to is his (Romney's) stead before the Living God. Mixing religion and politics LETHAL, LOL!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:When people vote for Democrats for national office, they are voting in favor of abortion rights and every other item on the liberal agenda, regardless of what the individual candidate who gets their vote believes. The single most important vote that any US Senator or member of the House of Representatives casts is the one that determines which party controls the legislative agenda. I don't care if a Democratic candidate shares every one of my own beliefs, unless he can convince me that if elected, he will not vote to give control of Congress to Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi (or other radical liberals), he has zero chance of getting my vote.

That broadens my point but, I totally agree.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Your argument is exactly right IMO as it applies in the secular realm. What LWC is referring to is his (Romney's) stead before the Living God. Mixing religion and politics LETHAL, LOL!
IMO, Romney has never mixed his religion with politics. It is his opponents who have tried to mix the two.

Understand, that I will vote for Romney if he gets the nomination but I disagree with him on quite a few issues, including his belief in anthropomorphic global warming and his refusal to admit that Romneycare was a huge mistake. I would love to see Herman Cain get elected but I am not sure that he can raise the money and put together a 50 (or 57) state organization to compete with the other candidates or Obama in time to win. Between Romney and Perry, I would probably choose Romney because of his successful business experience.

Perry has run a bad campaign so far, which validates my suspicion that he is not as bright as Romney or Cain. I am getting pretty tired of being embarrassed by President Dumb and Vice President Dumber.