Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Mountain schools has sent more players off to the next level?
Some names I thought of:

Corbin
Steve Bird EKU
Roger Bird UK

Somerset
Pete Venable UK

Middlesboro
? Williams UK
Roark UK

Many, many more out there I'm sure but I didn't see anyone mention these guys.
hazard.
John olinger went to cinci then later the atlanta falcons
chris olinger went to UK
jj housley went to UK
and allen fugate had a full ride to play at purdue but chose EKU
Hatz Wrote:Some names I thought of:

Corbin
Steve Bird EKU
Roger Bird UK

Somerset
Pete Venable UK

Middlesboro
? Williams UK
Roark UK

Many, many more out there I'm sure but I didn't see anyone mention these guys.

I believe Corbin has sent jarrod lawson to uk, some of the taylors to d1 schools as well as some adams and some other traditional names you here associated with corbin.
Some I could recall from Belfry
Rick Keslner UK
Benny Allen EKU
Doug Rutherford UK
Mike Scott Morehead State u when they still offered scholarships
Tony Baer WVU
Jim Dotson Marshall
Irv Dotson Marshall
David Jones UK

I heard before Russell Carter walked on at LSU but don't know for sure. Also not sure about James Ramey(played semi-pro/strike ball) and Paul Dotson may have went to Marshall. If anyone could confirm or add to this list please do.
Brian Scott UK punter
Real Badman Wrote:If it counts for anything, East Ridge has sent 10 players to Pikeville College in the last 3 years.
D-1, not NAIA
has to be d-1
common sense Wrote:Some I could recall from Belfry
Rick Keslner UK
Benny Allen EKU
Doug Rutherford UK
Tony Baer WVU
Jim Dotson Marshall
Irv Dotson Marshall
David Jones UK

I heard before Russell Carter walked on at LSU but don't know for sure. Also not sure about James Ramey(played semi-pro/strike ball) and Paul Dotson may have went to Marshall. If anyone could confirm or add to this list please do.
What about Wayne Fansisco? I was thinking he went to WVU. Tony Baer, was he a Big line for Belfry in the late 80's? I remmeber a guy they had back then that was as big as Mountain. HUGE.
To better clarify: players who just agreed/signed to go to said college...or players who actually academically qualified, moved to campus, didn't fail out and/or give up and move back home, and lasted their careers or even saw the field for said D-1 school? Because that would really, really narrow it down.
Didn't Tony Mayes that played at UK ('80-'83) come from Paintsville. I think he played QB for Pville back in the day but I could be wrong. I know that he played alongside Brian Williams of Middlesboro at UK. If I'm not mistaken, Paintsville beat Harlan at Harlan in '79 for the region championship. Seems like Mayes scored on a QB keeper at the goalline to beat the Dragon's 7-0 in one of the worst downpours in the history of rainy ballgames.
Dragonsdad Wrote:Didn't Tony Mayes that played at UK ('80-'83) come from Paintsville. I think he played QB for Pville back in the day but I could be wrong. I know that he played alongside Brian Williams of Middlesboro at UK. If I'm not mistaken, Paintsville beat Harlan at Harlan in '79 for the region championship. Seems like Mayes scored on a QB keeper at the goalline to beat the Dragon's 7-0 in one of the worst downpours in the history of rainy ballgames.
Correct. Thank you for setting me straight, I think I had Monday fever when I said Mayes was from Middlesboro. Lol
i remember darren clark for bell signed with UK in 93. it was a big deal at the school, that was one of the first times there was a scholarship given to a bell player from a major d1 school.
common sense Wrote:Some I could recall from Belfry
Rick Keslner UK
Benny Allen EKU
Doug Rutherford UK
Tony Baer WVU
Jim Dotson Marshall
Irv Dotson Marshall
David Jones UK

I think you are right about Carter. I have an imprint in my mind of a WDN article mentioning him going to LSU.
Durrell White went from bell/middlesboro to UK.
Dallas Greer (Bell) went to UK.
Shawn Robbins (Bell) played one season at North Texas.
honestjchsfan Wrote:What about Wayne Fansisco? I was thinking he went to WVU. Tony Baer, was he a Big line for Belfry in the late 80's? I remmeber a guy they had back then that was as big as Mountain. HUGE.

Dewayne Fransico opted to concentrate on academic in college and did not play football. Tony Baer graduated in 91. He was like 6'8" 280-290 good feet and a frame that could hold even more weight but quit after a practice or two at WVU.
PHSForever Wrote:D-1, not NAIA

Give me a ticket why dont you...I only usually read the OP anyways, so excuse his mistake.
Real Badman Wrote:Give me a ticket why dont you...I only usually read the OP anyways, so excuse his mistake.
Chill, just pointed it out. He posted a clarification a couple of posts after the original post.
Cullen Wilson UK
mikehancho25 Wrote:hazard.
John olinger went to cinci then later the atlanta falcons
chris olinger went to UK
jj housley went to UK
and allen fugate had a full ride to play at purdue but chose EKU

I saw where John Olinger was drafted by the Falcons but could not find a record of playing in the NFL. Did he make the squad and play?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:From Rivals database back to 2002

Channing Fugate (Breathitt)-Tennessee

Monte Merrick (Bell)-WKU

John Cole (Somerset)-Vandy

Brent Slusher (Bell)-Auburn
Phillip Hibbard (South Laurel)-UK
Brad Durham (South Laurel)-UK
Chris Cessna (North Laurel)-UK

Josh Minton (Southwestern)-UK

David Jones (Belfry)-UK
Lee Renfro (Southwestern)-Ohio

Al Holland, Jr (PCC)-Wake Forest
Jonathan Belcher (Southwestern)-Ball State
Jason Leger (Rock)-UK

Jared Hostetter (Lawrence)-Tennessee
Paul Webb (Johnson Cen)-UK
Dallas Greer (Bell)-UK
Justin Haddix (Breathitt)-WKU

Arby Jones (Southwestern)-Wake Forest
Dontae Wright (Lawrence Co)-Miami (OH)

At that time WKU wasn't a D1 football team.
Didn't Belfry also have a RB go somewhere the same year David Jones came to UK? I think his last name was Howard.
Quote:At that time WKU wasn't a D1 football team.

good point, but they was on the rise
EKUAlum05 Wrote:From Rivals database back to 2002

Channing Fugate (Breathitt)-Tennessee

Monte Merrick (Bell)-WKU

John Cole (Somerset)-Vandy

Brent Slusher (Bell)-Auburn
Phillip Hibbard (South Laurel)-UK
Brad Durham (South Laurel)-UK
Chris Cessna (North Laurel)-UK

Josh Minton (Southwestern)-UK

David Jones (Belfry)-UK
Lee Renfro (Southwestern)-Ohio

Al Holland, Jr (PCC)-Wake Forest
Jonathan Belcher (Southwestern)-Ball State
Jason Leger (Rock)-UK

Jared Hostetter (Lawrence)-Tennessee
Paul Webb (Johnson Cen)-UK
Dallas Greer (Bell)-UK
Justin Haddix (Breathitt)-WKU

Arby Jones (Southwestern)-Wake Forest
Dontae Wright (Lawrence Co)-Miami (OH)

These all appear to be D1 schools.. I know LC sent James Storts to Georgetown.. Larry West went to Pikeville..Kyle Carter to Marshall..Ben Preston went to Glenville State..not sure how many completed but they did go. I think it would be interesting to hear about the smaller schools too.
Paintsville has had 3 D1 players I can think of, Tony Mayes, Joey Couch and Bobby Mullins all signed with UK. Bobby Mullins died in a car accident on prom night his sr year ,very sad. Tony and Joey were both all SEC selections. They have had a few guys go to D1AA schools too Jermy Holbrok went to Morehead ST when they were still in OVC. If this thread was about D1 players in football, basketball and baseball I think Paintsville may have sent more players than any other moutain school.
Here is a different thought (only a little of topic lol) how many kids from the mountains have been good enough to play D1 and didn't get the recognition/exposure they deserved.

Maybe it isn't so much the case anymore but back before having technology always at are finger tips I'm sure a lot of kids went unnoticed.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Didn't Belfry also have a RB go somewhere the same year David Jones came to UK? I think his last name was Howard.

Doug Howard, he went to Marshall I believe.
Quote:Here is a different thought (only a little of topic lol) how many kids from the mountains have been good enough to play D1 and didn't get the recognition/exposure they deserved.

Maybe it isn't so much the case anymore but back before having technology always at are finger tips I'm sure a lot of kids went unnoticed.

excellent though colonel, im positive there are tons of kids that can make it in d-1 but don't get any attention at all from d-1 schools. what is there to do about that though?
Quote:Paintsville has had 3 D1 players I can think of, Tony Mayes, Joey Couch and Bobby Mullins all signed with UK. Bobby Mullins died in a car accident on prom night his sr year ,very sad. Tony and Joey were both all SEC selections. They have had a few guys go to D1AA schools too Jermy Holbrok went to Morehead ST when they were still in OVC. If this thread was about D1 players in football, basketball and baseball I think Paintsville may have sent more players than any other moutain school.

lol well this is in the football thread. j/s
colonel4life Wrote:Here is a different thought (only a little of topic lol) how many kids from the mountains have been good enough to play D1 and didn't get the recognition/exposure they deserved.

I can tell you one for sure...Floyd Branham Middlesboro...In my opinion he is one of the best linebackers to ever play in the mountains.

I can tell you two from Harlan...Larry Kirksey (Probably the most successful career in football from someone in the mountains/coaching wise. He coached Jerry Rice at the 49ers, currently coaches for the Houston Texans, and has coached at many other places) and Wallace Wah Wah Jones only player to be All-American in both football and basketball at UK.
common sense Wrote:Dewayne Fransico opted to concentrate on academic in college and did not play football. Tony Baer graduated in 91. He was like 6'8" 280-290 good feet and a frame that could hold even more weight but quit after a practice or two at WVU.
I remember playing against him he was bigger than the bus we road to the game in and he was not fat either. I think Belfry was more Vocational type High school my dad was a Machine shop teacher for Mayo and at one point he had 10 guys from Belfry in his class. They really liked machine shop over that way. One reason Belfry dominated JCHS all those years was because most of the guys taking shop class at JCHS wouldn't go out for football it was for the College Prep Kids. Matney who went to Belfry put a end to that crap.