Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which moutain team has impressed you the most in the first two weeks???
:popcorn:
I have to say Perry Central has really impressed me so far. I expected Harlan County and Bell to be great but I did not expect Perry to look as good as they have so far. Somerset has also had a nice start beating 2 5A schools, including the #5 team by a combined score of 73-39.
Prestonsburg
Panther Thunder Wrote:Prestonsburg

prestonsburg has a good team but still come up short in week 1, not very impressive!
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:prestonsburg has a good team but still come up short in week 1, not very impressive!
Against a team that beat Johnson Central.... And then dominated Sheldon Clark badly. If you aren't impresses by that by a AA school, you have very high standards, my friend.
As good as Pery Central is The Blackcats almost took'em out. Impressive by any standards.
I don't understand what the class a school is has to do with anything... Football is the only sport that even worries about a class system. If these same schools can compete in baseball and basketball then why do we even mention what class they are in when comparing teams in football?
Panther Thunder Wrote:Against a team that beat Johnson Central.... And then dominated Sheldon Clark badly. If you aren't impresses by that by a AA school, you have very high standards, my friend.

sheldon clark is not a good football team tho! im not sayn pburg is no good! they are!, not impressed by them so far! pcc should of won by 3 tds had way to many dropped passes that hit them in the hands!
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:I don't understand what the class a school is has to do with anything... Football is the only sport that even worries about a class system. If these same schools can compete in baseball and basketball then why do we even mention what class they are in when comparing teams in football?
Because there are classes?

And JC should thank God they are not classes in the other sports. For a school with as many students as JC (By far the most in the 15th), they don't come close to dominating this region like they should.
There are class for state tournaments in football it means nothing during regular season... But when comparing mountain teams what does it matter if they are single A, double A or larger... That is one of the biggest problems I have with the way things are set up. In this set up, Larger schools are in a lose, lose situation. If they beat a team then they should have, if they lose then they shouldn't have gotten beat by that team. Whats it matter when comparing P-burg and Perry what class they are... Bottom line is in the Mountains if you have to choose the team that has most impressed you, I don't understand how anyone can choose anyone other then PCC... In 2 straight weeks they have beaten too quality teams from programs who are very good every year. To me the fact that P-burg played with them means nothing, they got beat just like JC did. There class has nothing to do with it at all.
Gotta go with Perry Central
Panther Thunder Wrote:Against a team that beat Johnson Central.... And then dominated Sheldon Clark badly. If you aren't impresses by that by a AA school, you have very high standards, my friend.

classes mean nothing! thats just excuses!
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:There are class for state tournaments in football it means nothing during regular season... But when comparing mountain teams what does it matter if they are single A, double A or larger... That is one of the biggest problems I have with the way things are set up. In this set up, Larger schools are in a lose, lose situation. If they beat a team then they should have, if they lose then they shouldn't have gotten beat by that team. Whats it matter when comparing P-burg and Perry what class they are... Bottom line is in the Mountains if you have to choose the team that has most impressed you, I don't understand how anyone can choose anyone other then PCC... In 2 straight weeks they have beaten too quality teams from programs who are very good every year. To me the fact that P-burg played with them means nothing, they got beat just like JC did. There class has nothing to do with it at all.
I agree that larger schools are in a lose/lose situation. But the fact that there are classes shows that schools with larger enrollments are at an advantage. The fact PBurg had PCC on the ropes and handled SC is more impressive to than a good AAAAA school beating a AAAA and AA school. Even though both of those schools are very good teams. That is just my opinion on the subject. Agree to disagree.
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:classes mean nothing! thats just excuses!
So let's say you have 500 males to pick from compared to 125. Which random group would you pick knowing nothing else about them?
Considering how young Bell Co is this year. They hung with a experienced Cath team and beat a very good Lafayette team on their field.
Am I seriously hearing that there are some who believe that it's a poor excuse to say that Dayton High School, with their 100 total boys in their school, in which 28 (Frosh through Senior), can't compete with Trinity and the 1500 boys, in which they have 125+ that come out for football? Is that what I just heard???? I sure hope people are not that naive!
Panther Thunder Wrote:So let's say you have 500 males to pick from compared to 125. Which random group would you pick knowing nothing else about them?

understandable but hazard is the same way and they seem to do fine????
so once again im sayn its a excuse
Amazing that some people cannot grasp such a simple concept.
Taken to an extreme blue sack, if all the boys in Louisville went to a school called Louisville HS, and all the boys in Hazard went to Hazard HS, and if the teams played each other 90 million times, how many games would Hazard HS win?
If you cannot understand that the correct answer is "zero" you are either kidding yourself or your mind cannot grasp the concept of numbers, lol...
Perry County Central hands down. They beat 2 very good tradition rich mountain teams in back to back weeks to open the season.
ole_blue_sack_15 Wrote:understandable but hazard is the same way and they seem to do fine????
so once again im sayn its a excuse

It is not an excuse, it is a fact. For that reason 100% of all states class football. As a matter of fact, Kentucky is the only state remaining that does not class basketball. Numbers are not the whole story but they are a great part of it. Let's just say 2 schools have the same percentage of good football players in their school but one is double the size of the other. What happens? The larger school gets to play their good players one way and wears the other teams good players down. Sure, a smaller school can win a game against a bigger school--especially early in the season before injuries and fatigue really take their toll. However, the larger schools should win the majority of the games.

If it is a lose/lose situation for bigger schools then get on the horn with Trinity, St. X, Bowling Green and some of those teams. I mean if numbers don't matter than they should be able to play with the bigger schools just fine.
sorry for kidding myself guys! lets go combined all of louisville and play against one highschool! :igiveup:
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:There are class for state tournaments in football it means nothing during regular season... But when comparing mountain teams what does it matter if they are single A, double A or larger... That is one of the biggest problems I have with the way things are set up. In this set up, Larger schools are in a lose, lose situation. If they beat a team then they should have, if they lose then they shouldn't have gotten beat by that team. Whats it matter when comparing P-burg and Perry what class they are... Bottom line is in the Mountains if you have to choose the team that has most impressed you, I don't understand how anyone can choose anyone other then PCC... In 2 straight weeks they have beaten too quality teams from programs who are very good every year. To me the fact that P-burg played with them means nothing, they got beat just like JC did. There class has nothing to do with it at all.

The larger team has a larger talent base. It is relatively easy to find 12 kids to play Basketball or even 15-20 for soccer/baseball. But to get the 45 plus needed for a good football program it helps to have 400 boys in the school.

On a side note Kentucky is one of the few states without a basketball class system. Central fans should be very glad of this. Because in any other state losing to a school the size of Paintsville would be an embarrasment. But in kentucky it is the norm.
As to the original question. I gotta say perry central. They got JC when I figured It would be a blowout for the eagles. PCC is looking very good so far.
What I am saying is that in every other sport there is no class system. We hear all the time about a single A school winning the state tournament in Basketball, and we have had very good outings in baseball. The reason many smaller schools struggle is because the school places an emphasis on one sport rather then pushing athletes to play all sports. If it doesn't affect the outcome in these sports then why is such a fuss made over football. Most schools use the same great athletes on both sides of the ball at the specialty position for the most part. You can't afford not to in high school sports. The only big advantage the larger schools really rely on is up front. I just don't understand the big deal with the classes. As far as playing larger schools, there comes a point in time where travel and distance is an issue. No school can travel 3 or 4 hours in our area both directions to play a football game every weekend.
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:I don't understand what the class a school is has to do with anything... Football is the only sport that even worries about a class system. If these same schools can compete in baseball and basketball then why do we even mention what class they are in when comparing teams in football?

It's easy to say that when your team doesn't play up only their class or lower. Try playing up on the 6A level 4 or 5 games a season. Thats what most 1A teams do on a seasonal basis. For a 1A team,playing 2A and 3A teams is like a 4A team playing 5A and 6A. So why doesn't JC play up? Just say'in.
Definitely Perry Central for me. As for the argument of classes not being important, how many basketball and baseball state championships have the 1A schools won over the past ten or fifteen years? Nuff said. Numbers are everything, ESPECIALLY in a sport like football. Why do you think schools in California and Texas and Eastern Va. and Ohio and any other more populous state are so much better than us on average?
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Considering how young Bell Co is this year. They hung with a experienced Cath team and beat a very good Lafayette team on their field.

I only saw a little more than half this game, and I'm no football coach. However, it appeared to me that Bell was beating itself earlier in the game. I can't see them playing in the first half like they did it the second. They must've been really off in the first half because had they played the entire game like they did in the second half, they would've beaten Lafayette by a bigger margin. JMO
Perry Central has impressed me more than anyone thus far.

No matter how "bad" the teams they beat were, Rockcastle County has been impressive as well. To already win 1/2 of the amount of games they won last season (They were 4-7 last season, and have started 2-0 this season) is an accomplishment.
Definitely Perry Central. Their resume speaks for itself.
If Rockcastle County is in fact a mountain team, I would pick them. Since I have seen them but have not seen Perry Central, or many of the other very good teams perform.

I have, however, seen Prestonsburg and they are an extremely good team, but if they and Rockcastle were to meet, I would pick Rockcastle to win.