Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County Bowl Thread
Okay, this thread is for talking about the Pike County Bowl in general. Games are East Ridge vs Shelby Valley at Belfry on Friday, and Belfry vs Harrison County in the nightcap. Saturday is Pike Central vs Phelps and Pikeville vs Tellico Plains, TN in the nightcap.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in the level of competition and quality of the games. Franklin County AD left the whole bowl hanging. I personally think this needs to go back to being a Pikeville/Belfry dominated event. NO one wants to watch Pike Central pound on Phelps. SV vs ER will only matter because the two schools dislike each other. I realize the other schools were feeling a little left out, but they still benefitted monetarily from the bowl, since proceeds were split among all the schools whether or not they played. Crowds have always been bigger and better when it was Pikeville or Belfry vs a quality opponent. If they feel they must include some other county schools, then they need to schedule other opponents to come in for the games if they want to continue being viewed as a true quality bowl.

For game picks, I'm going with ER over SV, Belfry over Harrison County, Pike Central over Phelps (in a BIG way), and Pikeville over Tellico Plains.
I would agree with you that what Franklin Co. did was inexcusable. We all should try and support our pike county teams and the bowl IMO. That being said there is an argument to be made that Belfry is a premier football program not only Pike co. but in the state. If the PCB wants to improve the bowl the put out the money and get Belfry some real competition in hear just for argument sake I think Louisville central would make the trip. I have the utmost respect for coach Haywood and what he has bean able to accomplish at belfry.I love all our mountain teams and always root for them. This argument Pikeville wants to make that they should always be the headliner is ridiculous the 80s are long since gone and if they want to grab all the headlines then let them schedule a team that is actually a threat and not a sure win on there home field.As for ER SV PCC and Phelps the fan draw would be much greater if there were 4 other teams invited. I would venture to say a PCC Russel rematch would be a great game as well as draw Would also love to see ER Mason Co. IMO thees kind of changes would improve the bowl.
Pike Central, Belfry, & Pikeville all have a big following as far as fans. Schedule them with some good competition & it would be a huge success. Until the other teams can play to the 3 mentioneds level then they just need to reap the rewards & be satisfied with that.
No offense to any of those teams but they simply are not on the same level.
left tacckel #65 Wrote:This argument Pikeville wants to make that they should always be the headliner is ridiculous the 80s are long since gone and if they want to grab all the headlines then let them schedule a team that is actually a threat and not a sure win on there home field.
Are you actually serious? "Actually a threat". How about:

1985- Cumberland W
1986- Paris L
1987- Beechwood SUSPENDED 21-20 BW
1988- Newport Central Catholic W
1989- Raceland W
1990- Beechwood L
1991- Lincoln County W
1992- Breathitt County W
1993- Lexington Catholic W
1994- Prestonsburg L
1995- Paris W
1996- Bardstown L
1997- Ashlan Paul Blazer L
1998- Breathitt County L
1999- Boyle County L
2000- Lawrence County W
2001- Lafayette L
2002- Campbellsville W
2003- Lawrence County L
2004- Prestonsburg W
2005- Newport Central Catholic L
2006- Henry Clay L
2007- Holy Cross (Lou) W
2008- Corbin L
2009- Holy Cross (Cov) L
2010- Boyd County W

13-13 in PCB History. 6-11 In the last 17 years. 4-6 in the last 10. 2-5 in the last 6. 1-2 in the last 3.

So, where do you get your "sure win" theory from? And from this list, there are at most 4 or 5 teams that were not good football teams.

As for the other part of your statement, The 80s are long gone. Are you just going to discount the fact that from 1990-2008 Pikeville was still the second best team, or even #1 in some years, in Pike County? Pikeville still had numerous Regional Championships from 1990-2004. Something that either, A. To my knowledge has not happened at any school in Pike County other than Belfry more than once or twice or B. NEVER HAPPENED.

The absurdity of your statement in well pointed out in this post. Feel free to rebut these claims.
As for fixing the PCB. Let it be a Pikeville/Belfry event on Saturday night and alternate between the two schools. Let Pike Central and Shelby Valley alternate hosting on Friday night. PC and SV can play out of county teams and let ER and Phelps play on Saturday afternoon at PC. ER and Phelps kind of throw it off but work something out, I don't have any other ideas.

For Pikeville/Belfry night, GO TO ONE YEAR CONTRACTS. Pikeville cannot compete year in and out with the teams that Belfry needs to bring in. Let Pikeville bring in a quality A or AA opponent and let Belfry bring in a powerhouse. This would make the bowl perfect and Saturday night a blockbuster event at CAM and WC Hambley.
MISSION accomplished it was my intention to get someone fired up about this situation I am a great supporter of Pikeville they have a wonderful tradition and a bright future IMO..Why is Pikeville not screaming about what the PCB board has done. As I said I support all mountain teams bring some of those teams from the other end of the stat so that people can see we play football as well.
A correction to the OP; ER/SV is at Pikeville on the 27th.
Panther Thunder Wrote:As for fixing the PCB. Let it be a Pikeville/Belfry event on Saturday night and alternate between the two schools. Let Pike Central and Shelby Valley alternate hosting on Friday night. PC and SV can play out of county teams and let ER and Phelps play on Saturday afternoon at PC. ER and Phelps kind of throw it off but work something out, I don't have any other ideas.

For Pikeville/Belfry night, GO TO ONE YEAR CONTRACTS. Pikeville cannot compete year in and out with the teams that Belfry needs to bring in. Let Pikeville bring in a quality A or AA opponent and let Belfry bring in a powerhouse. This would make the bowl perfect and Saturday night a blockbuster event at CAM and WC Hambley.

Yes.

As a Belfry fan I could care less if the event was hosted every single year at Pikeville if it meant we get the old PCB back.I want one night of competitive, highly anticipated, packed out games. I don't want everyone crying "I wanna play, I am in Pike County too!", just give them their split of the gates and shut the heck up.

Cut this SV hosting... Pike Central vs. Phelps.... 1/4 full undercard crap out.

Give me Saturday night at WC Hambley with the first game being Pikeville vs. Lexington Christian and the second game being Belfry vs. NewCath and watch the place sell out.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Yes.

As a Belfry fan I could care less if the event was hosted every single year at Pikeville if it meant we get the old PCB back.I want one night of competitive, highly anticipated, packed out games. I don't want everyone crying "I wanna play, I am in Pike County too!", just give them their split of the gates and shut the heck up.

Cut this SV hosting... Pike Central vs. Phelps.... 1/4 full undercard crap out.

Give me Saturday night at WC Hambley with the first game being Pikeville vs. Lexington Christian and the second game being Belfry vs. NewCath and watch the place sell out.
:rockon:
For the 30th Anniversary in a few years give me Hambley on Saturday night with Pikeville and Alcoa, TN in the first game and Belfry hosting Hoover, Al. Might be a couple of blowouts, but I would like to see them try to control the traffic backed up on 23 lol!!!
Panther Thunder Wrote:Are you actually serious? "Actually a threat". How about:

1985- Cumberland W
1986- Paris L
1987- Beechwood SUSPENDED 21-20 BW
1988- Newport Central Catholic W
1989- Raceland W
1990- Beechwood L
1991- Lincoln County W
1992- Breathitt County W
1993- Lexington Catholic W
1994- Prestonsburg L
1995- Paris W
1996- Bardstown L
1997- Ashlan Paul Blazer L
1998- Breathitt County L
1999- Boyle County L
2000- Lawrence County W
2001- Lafayette L
2002- Campbellsville W
2003- Lawrence County L
2004- Prestonsburg W
2005- Newport Central Catholic L
2006- Henry Clay L
2007- Holy Cross (Lou) W
2008- Corbin L
2009- Holy Cross (Cov) L
2010- Boyd County W

13-13 in PCB History. 6-11 In the last 17 years. 4-6 in the last 10. 2-5 in the last 6. 1-2 in the last 3.

So, where do you get your "sure win" theory from? And from this list, there are at most 4 or 5 teams that were not good football teams.

As for the other part of your statement, The 80s are long gone. Are you just going to discount the fact that from 1990-2008 Pikeville was still the second best team, or even #1 in some years, in Pike County? Pikeville still had numerous Regional Championships from 1990-2004. Something that either, A. To my knowledge has not happened at any school in Pike County other than Belfry more than once or twice or B. NEVER HAPPENED.

The absurdity of your statement in well pointed out in this post. Feel free to rebut these claims.

:rockon:

Pikeville's "sure win" this year (allegedly) is the result of them giving up their game against HArrison County so Belfry wouldn't end up having to play what amounts to a Phelps, basically. Year in and year out, PHS tries to schedule quality opponents. Believe me, a lot of PHS people ARE screaming about the competition this year. The old PCB was a masterpiece, and it needs to go back to that format. To this day, the PHS-Cumberland game and the PHS Beechwood games are CLASSICS, as well as many other games over the years. I've been to most of them, and was rarely disappointed in the quality of play like I have been the past two years. Excellent rebuttal, PT!
left tacckel #65 Wrote:I would agree with you that what Franklin Co. did was inexcusable. We all should try and support our pike county teams and the bowl IMO. That being said there is an argument to be made that Belfry is a premier football program not only Pike co. but in the state. If the PCB wants to improve the bowl the put out the money and get Belfry some real competition in hear just for argument sake I think Louisville central would make the trip. I have the utmost respect for coach Haywood and what he has bean able to accomplish at belfry.I love all our mountain teams and always root for them. This argument Pikeville wants to make that they should always be the headliner is ridiculous the 80s are long since gone and if they want to grab all the headlines then let them schedule a team that is actually a threat and not a sure win on there home field.As for ER SV PCC and Phelps the fan draw would be much greater if there were 4 other teams invited. I would venture to say a PCC Russel rematch would be a great game as well as draw Would also love to see ER Mason Co. IMO thees kind of changes would improve the bowl.
PCB was started by PHS, they SHOULD be the headliner every year. It was the brainchild of Ken Trivette and some boosters, along with CTB and other sponsors. What Belfry has done over the past 10 years has been awesome for football in the mountains, and I have a ton of respect for their program, under Haywood and others. But make no mistake, PHS was THE program long before Belfry on a state-wide level.
Panther Thunder Wrote:As for fixing the PCB. Let it be a Pikeville/Belfry event on Saturday night and alternate between the two schools. Let Pike Central and Shelby Valley alternate hosting on Friday night. PC and SV can play out of county teams and let ER and Phelps play on Saturday afternoon at PC. ER and Phelps kind of throw it off but work something out, I don't have any other ideas.

Excellent post. This is exactly how the PCB should be.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Pike Central, Belfry, & Pikeville all have a big following as far as fans. Schedule them with some good competition & it would be a huge success. Until the other teams can play to the 3 mentioneds level then they just need to reap the rewards & be satisfied with that.
No offense to any of those teams but they simply are not on the same level.

You're kind of on the right track but you are giving way too much credit to Pike Central and probably not enough to Shelby Valley.

Lest you forget, from 2005 through the 2009 season, Valley beat Pike Central all four times they played. For those 5 seasons, one would have to say that Shelby Valley, and not Pike Central, was the team that would be considered in that #2/#3 range (along with Pikeville). But times change, and now the pendulum has swung in the direction of Buckley's Creek. Now it is the Hawks who should be lumped in with Pikeville as the #2/#3 team in the county, and SV who has fallen back.

My point is not to knock Pike Central, but to put things in perspective. Pike Central has had a great turnaround under John Chapman, but this is only the second year now that Pike Central has had a team able to break into that Pikeville/Belfry conversation. In 5 years, things could be completely different. What neither Pike Central nor Shelby Valley has been able to achieve is to put a consistent winner on the field every year. Until they do, there will only be a "Big 2" in Pike county.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What did Franklin County do???
Fan in Frankfort Wrote:What did Franklin County do???
Failed to honor the contract that had them in this year's bowl. New AD said he wasn't informed of the commitment by the outgoing AD, as I understand it, and scheduled a conflicting game. Instead of contacting the newer game they had scheduled and backing out, they chose to back out of the PCB game. No one knew there was a conflict (allegedly) until the Franklin schedule was posted on KHSAA for this season, and the PCB was not on it, ONE week before practice started. Epic FAIL by Franklin
I've said this b4... the PCB honchos need to team up with another bowl and trade teams.
Using AA power Richlands and A weakling Twin Valley as an example, they go to the PCB in 2013. In 2014, they go to the Cumberland Valley Bowl, whose 2013 teams will be in the PCB.
SOOOO simple.
PHSForever Wrote:Failed to honor the contract that had them in this year's bowl. New AD said he wasn't informed of the commitment by the outgoing AD, as I understand it, and scheduled a conflicting game. Instead of contacting the newer game they had scheduled and backing out, they chose to back out of the PCB game. No one knew there was a conflict (allegedly) until the Franklin schedule was posted on KHSAA for this season, and the PCB was not on it, ONE week before practice started. Epic FAIL by Franklin

It is my understanding that this contract was sighned by a previous coach who is no longer a part of th Franklin County program. The new head coach did not even know about it. I am sure FCHS would have played had they have known about the obligation, when doing their scheduling for this year, but since they had a coaching change the contract was null and void.
Fan in Frankfort Wrote:It is my understanding that this contract was sighned by a previous coach who is no longer a part of th Franklin County program. The new head coach did not even know about it. I am sure FCHS would have played had they have known about the obligation, when doing their scheduling for this year, but since they had a coaching change the contract was null and void.
They did have a change in coaches and the new coach is not the scapegoat here, IMO. The new coach says he was never informed by the Athletic Director about the contract with the Pike County Bowl, so he made a 10 game schedule not including it.

The Athletic Director is the same one who was there when the contract was signed and the person who is ultimately responsible for keeping up with schedules. They should have made the new coach aware of the situation.

That AD claims that they sent an email to the Pike County Bowl Committee chairman several months ago notifying him they would not be honoring the contract. That PCB member says he never got the email. The Franklin Co AD admits they did not get a reply and never followed up on it.

It ultimately falls at the feet of the AD, who did a sloppy job all around.
Hey mod can someone please start a thread for the next Pikeville game?
92PantherAlumni Wrote:Hey mod can someone please start a thread for the next Pikeville game?

Got it buddy!:Thumbs:
MisterPerfect Wrote:Got it buddy!:Thumbs:

:thanks:
92PantherAlumni Wrote::thanks:

No problem.
I've seen a few PCB; having a view from someone outside the Pike Co. area. I think you can spice up the PCB by still having Pikeville and Belfry hosting Friday/Sat. night. As for the proceeding games instead of having PCC/Phelps and ER/SV take the two team with the best records and have them play out of town teams or you could let every team find out of town teams and let two games play friday night at Belfry and four games at pikeville and rotate between the two places. IMO these are the two best fields in the county.
I agree with PHSForever the PCB is a huge draw for the night cap games they also draw fans and interest from across the state the rest of the county could get in on this.
Pikeville is not going to going to pack any place no matter who they play.... Yes they use to pack the stadium but they were good then playing for a state run year in and year out. That time is over....
hootie Wrote:Pikeville is not going to going to pack any place no matter who they play.... Yes they use to pack the stadium but they were good then playing for a state run year in and year out. That time is over....
Just wait for the pics from Saturday then. If you don't think the PCB is packed, you are crazy.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Just wait for the pics from Saturday then. If you don't think the PCB is packed, you are crazy.

Easy to look packed week after week when you only have 1 side of bleachers to sit on.
Mr. Onion Head Wrote:Easy to look packed week after week when you only have 1 side of bleachers to sit on.
Since you haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about, let me spell it out. The PCB for Pikeville is ALWAYS packed. Other games, not at all.
Are these games on T.V?