Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason Rankings
bluegrasspreps.com has their preseason rankings out for all classes.
Looking at the rankings a few things stood out to me first in 2A is that Danville is ranked ahead of Somerset after Somerset beat them last season after Somerset beat them 38-13. The second thing in 2A is Bardstown being ranked ahead of Green Co. who scored 67 points on them, Glasgow who shut them out, and Washington Co. who beat them 2 TD's. In 3A I find it hard to believe that Ft. Campbell, who to be honest wasn't very good last year, ranked ahead of Breathitt County.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Looking at the rankings a few things stood out to me first in 2A is that Danville is ranked ahead of Somerset after Somerset beat them last season after Somerset beat them 38-13. The second thing in 2A is Bardstown being ranked ahead of Green Co. who scored 67 points on them, Glasgow who shut them out, and Washington Co. who beat them 2 TD's. In 3A I find it hard to believe that Ft. Campbell, who to be honest wasn't very good last year, ranked ahead of Breathitt County.

You cited what happened last year. Well last year is just that: last year. Things like graduation of key players; returning starters and coaching changes dramatically alter what happens from year to year. Could those things have played a role in the rankings? Probably so.
fancyfeet Wrote:bluegrasspreps.com has their preseason rankings out for all classes.

Ohhh, we mentioned the name that shall not be mentioned:yikes:
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Looking at the rankings a few things stood out to me first in 2A is that Danville is ranked ahead of Somerset after Somerset beat them last season after Somerset beat them 38-13. The second thing in 2A is Bardstown being ranked ahead of Green Co. who scored 67 points on them, Glasgow who shut them out, and Washington Co. who beat them 2 TD's. In 3A I find it hard to believe that Ft. Campbell, who to be honest wasn't very good last year, ranked ahead of Breathitt County.

Yeah 2A is all screwed up but there was a lot of movement in that class and it's hard to get around to watching Central Ky. teams like Somerset from their high perch in Northern Kentucky. I don't see how you can put Danville ahead of Somerset either with how Somerset has completely dominated them for the last two seasons and with their best player sitting out but hey, I'm no BGP subcriber either!
charlie22 Wrote:You cited what happened last year. Well last year is just that: last year. Things like graduation of key players; returning starters and coaching changes dramatically alter what happens from year to year. Could those things have played a role in the rankings? Probably so.

Last year is a big portion of Preseason rankings if I'm not mistaken, but these Rankings showed why Bluegrasspreps is weak IMO!!!! And Bo made an excellant point that Brand isn't playing for Danville this year either. Wilson returns from Somerset as well. Green Co. returns all but 2 offensive lineman off a team that hung 67 on Bardstown, and Glasgow returns a ton of talent from a team that blanked Bardstown 35-0. I agree that coaching changes should play a role in preseason rankings, but anyone with knowledge of 2A football outside of Northen KY will know these rankings are not very good. It's always fun to look at preseason rankings then look at rankings after week 10
Having #1 Trinity, #2 Male, #3 Manuel, and #7 St. Xavier in the same district is ridiculous. The Class 6A champion will be decided in district play. Trinity should prevail and, if so, should romp through the rest of the playoffs.

As usual, Highlands will stroll through Class 4A.
How accurate have the bluegrass.preps been in the past?
Bluegrass preps ranking are about like most others, hit and miss. Hard to go wrong picking Highlands and Trinity every year. They have also scaled back their preseason class and team previews. Probably has something to do with the mass exodus of members to other boards. For example - this morning there were 211 people logged on the BGR's football forum. There were 28 logged on the BGP's.football forum. Lots of good football fans just grew weary of the endless harassment from teenage moderators.
Tica Wrote:Bluegrass preps ranking are about like most others, hit and miss. Hard to go wrong picking Highlands and Trinity every year. They have also scaled back their preseason class and team previews. Probably has something to do with the mass exodus of members to other boards. For example - this morning there were 211 people logged on the BGR's football forum. There were 28 logged on the BGP's.football forum. Lots of good football fans just grew weary of the endless harassment from teenage moderators.
Not all their sanctimonious, harrassing moderators are teenagers. At least one is a middle-aged woman, who is the main reason that I finally kissed the site goodbye. If you are reading this, Rockmom, I hope that you are enjoying life as a big fish in a shrinking pond. :eyeroll:
The Contrarian Wrote:How accurate have the bluegrass.preps been in the past?

It varies. Their preseason 2A poll last year was:

1) Fort Campbell (2nd Rnd)
2) Monroe County (Region Finals)
3) Newport Central Catholic (State Champions)
4) Danville (State Semifinals)
5) Murray (Region Finals)
6) Bardstown (First Round)
7) Prestonsburg (Region Finals)
8) Christian Academy-Louisville (Second Round)
9) Owensboro Catholic (State Runner-Up)
10) Corbin (State Semifinals)

The big misses are Fort Campbell which was likely due to the huge success they had had in previous years and Bardstown. Preseason polls are a crapshoot.

Their last regular season poll did have NewCath and OCath 1-2. They along with the LIT ratings correctly picked Owensboro Catholic to win the first region, while the others picked Murray. The LIT ratings got all four regions right while BGP had Prestonsburg rated over Corbin.
Tica Wrote:Bluegrass preps ranking are about like most others, hit and miss. Hard to go wrong picking Highlands and Trinity every year. They have also scaled back their preseason class and team previews. Probably has something to do with the mass exodus of members to other boards. For example - this morning there were 211 people logged on the BGR's football forum. There were 28 logged on the BGP's.football forum. Lots of good football fans just grew weary of the endless harassment from teenage moderators.

Hit the nail on the head there Tica. I also can't stand the fact that 90% of the team threads are never touched and provide no information, then teams like Simon Kenton and Raceland have 5 or 6 page threads. It's a NKY/Louisville site now, with a couple out of region Mods to try to hold on to some of their following. BGP is crap compared to what it was ten years ago.

Nice to see!
I think it's sad that the mountain schools get no respect on BGP. As far as the 1A rankings go I just don't see williamsburg or raceland in the top 10. The teams in Harlan co. sure didn't get any. But I guess anybody can just pull a list out of the air.

The score is now BGR 235 to BGP 22. :1::lmao::thatsfunn:igiveup::Clap::flame:
Dragonsdad Wrote:I think it's sad that the mountain schools get no respect on BGP. As far as the 1A rankings go I just don't see williamsburg or raceland in the top 10. The teams in Harlan co. sure didn't get any. But I guess anybody can just pull a list out of the air.

It's primarily because of the membership. How would the base of BGP members know anything about Mountain teams? I think it's fair for them to rank who they know. Is it accurate???? No more accurate than the rankings that come from the regional newspapers!
4A is loaded. 5A is down with the exception of 1 or 2 teams.
Courier-Journal is collecting ballots from the coachs accross the state for a preseason poll. It isnt complete but they gave a sneak peak of the top #3 subject to change when all the ballots are in from the coachs. Here is how they compare to the Bluegrasspreps poll top #3.

C-J 6A 1 Trinity, 2 St. Xavier, 3 male
BGP 1 Trinity, 2 Male, 3 manual

C-J 5A 1 John Hardin, 2 Bowling Green, 3 Christian County
BGP 1 Bowling Green, 2 John Hardin, 3 Harlan county

C-J 4A 1 Highlands, 2 Boyle County, 3 Lex. Catholic
BGP 1 Highlanads, 2 Boyle county, 3 Lone Oak

C-J 3A 1 Central, 2 Bell county, 3 Paducah Tilghman
BGP 1 Central, 2 Bell county, 3 Paducah Tilghman

C-J 2A 1 Owensboro Catholic, 2 Newport Central Catholic, 3 Danville
BGP 1 Newport Central Catholic, 2 Danville, 3 Somerset

C-J 1A 1 Mayfield, 2 Beechwood, 3 Hazard
BGP 1 Beechwood, 2 Mayfield, 3 Hazard
I don't even waste my time with other site! This site is better!
Dragonsdad Wrote:I think it's sad that the mountain schools get no respect on BGP. As far as the 1A rankings go I just don't see williamsburg or raceland in the top 10. The teams in Harlan co. sure didn't get any. But I guess anybody can just pull a list out of the air.

What mountain schools are you refering to that needs a ranking/higher ranking? And in what class?
BGP has Raceland rated #9 and Williamsburg rated #10 in 1A. Harlan county is rated #3 in 5A
2011 Class 3A Kentucky Football Preseason Rankings
1. Central
2. Bell County
3. Paducah Tilghman
4. Belfry
5. Mason County
6. Sheldon Clark
7. Corbin
8. Fort Campbell
9. Lawrence County
10. Breathitt County
2011 Class 1A Kentucky Football Preseason Rankings
1. Beechwood
2. Mayfield
3. Hazard
4. Louisville Holy Cross
5. Pikeville
6. Frankfort
7. Russellville
8. Fairview
9. Raceland
10. Williamsburg
2011 Class 2A Kentucky Football Preseason Rankings
1. Newport Central Catholic
2. Danville
3. Somerset
4. Owensboro Catholic
5. DeSales
6. Lexington Christian
7. Prestonsburg
8. Christian Academy-Louisville
9. Holy Cross
10. Bardstown
2011 Class 4A Kentucky Football Preseason Rankings
1. Highlands
2. Boyle County
3. Lone Oak
4. Lexington Catholic
5. Covington Catholic
6. Johnson Central
7. Knox Central
8. Franklin-Simpson
9. Western
10. Madisonville-North Hopkins
2011 Class 5A Kentucky Football Preseason Rankings
1. Bowling Green
2. John Hardin
3. Harlan County
4. Anderson County
5. Christian County
6. Warren Central
7. East Jessamine
8. Pulaski County
9. Southwestern
10. Whitley County
2011 Class 6A Kentucky Football Preseason Rankings
1. Trinity
2. Male
3. Manual
4. Scott County
5. Dixie Heights
6. Simon Kenton
7. Saint Xavier
8. Ballard
9. Henderson County
10. Henry Clay
cuppett777 Wrote:2011 Class 4A Kentucky Football Preseason Rankings
1. Highlands
2. Boyle County
3. Lone Oak
4. Lexington Catholic
5. Covington Catholic
6. Johnson Central
7. Knox Central
8. Franklin-Simpson
9. Western
10. Madisonville-North Hopkins

cant believe my old home town Maroons got in at 10,wow they have good defense, but the coach is not running right offense with those players, maybe something has changed this year, i hope so..
Stardust Wrote:It's primarily because of the membership. How would the base of BGP members know anything about Mountain teams? I think it's fair for them to rank who they know. Is it accurate???? No more accurate than the rankings that come from the regional newspapers!

Folks need to get over their problems with BGP. The base of the BGP members didn't vote to create rankings. A pretty select group of knowledgable football folks from around the state (including eastern Ky) created the rankings.

I'm from nothern Kentucky. I guess I don't know anything about the mountain teams when I post very complimentary things about the JC, Harlan County etc. football programs.

There are a lot a posts on this site that display a bad case of little brother syndrome.
charlie22 Wrote:Folks need to get over their problems with BGP. The base of the BGP members didn't vote to create rankings. A pretty select group of knowledgable football folks from around the state (including eastern Ky) created the rankings.

I'm from nothern Kentucky. I guess I don't know anything about the mountain teams when I post very complimentary things about the JC, Harlan County etc. football programs.

There are a lot a posts on this site that display a bad case of little brother syndrome.
I agree, although my post is probably one of those that you are characterizing as exhibiting a bad case of little brother syndrome. My problem with BGP was not with the way that they rank teams - and I think that they make an honest effort to take roster and coaching changes into account - but with a tiny minority (in my case, of one or two) of their moderators abusing their authority when posters (especially me) disagreed with them. I have not been subject to that treatment a single time on BGR. I have had some sharp exchanges with BGR moderators and admins in the Political forum and not once has any of them tried to intimidate me with their moderator badge.

The owner of BGP has made a conscious decision to limit membership by making it a pay site and by tightly moderating its forums. I respect his decision but I got tired of sparring with moderators whose feelings were hurt when I failed to defer to their superior judgment on political issues. Asking paying members to plead guilty to rules infractions that they did not commit has driven subscribers away - but that was apparently part of the business plan - maintain a small, easily managed user base.

As for the BGP preseason rankings and rankings in general, they are biased toward NKY teams because unless the process has changed, the panel of experts, in the end, must negotiate with the owner, a NKY native, before any of the rankings are published. There is some give and take in the process and people from around the state have their opinions heard but in the end the rankings are what one individual decides to publish.

By mid season, I prefer rankings like Massey that are not so heavily influenced by one person's geographical bias. In the preseason, beyond the obvious picks like Highlands, Trinity, etc., nobody's rankings are anything but guesstimate based on what people observed when the lights of last season went dark.