Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was the best game you were a part of?
What was the best game that you were a part of? Whether you were playing, coaching, a water boy, part of the chain crew, officiated, or even had a son or daughter play in. Just high school and middle school football only. Could be a varsity, J.V., or freshman game. And if you can't pick one, then list them all.
I was a part of two great games that will really stick out in my mind.
1991- Raceland 14 Ashland 13
Ashland had just won the 3A title the season before and had never lost to Raceland. Ashland scored 13 points in the first quarter never scored again. Neither team scored after halftime.
1992 Raceland 3 Lawence Co. 0
I believe that this LC team lost to Mayfield in the semi-finals. That game had such a surreal feel to it, both defenses played incredible that night. Both defenses played so well that instead of going for it on Fourth and Inches at the one Coach Ross elected to attempt the first field goal at Raceland in 6 or 7 years, which turned out to be the only score of the game. Not sure if this is true, I heard that Goldsmith was so convinced that Ross was going fake the field goal that he told his players not to rush the field goal attempt.
The best game I have ever watched in person was when I was in middle school and I watched Lawrence County snap Breathitt County's winning streak and then everyone tore down the goal posts which was amazing. My youth league coach was the guy at the very top which always stood out to me how passionate people are about football in Louisa. The place was so packed you could barely move, then on the field you seen big Charlie Vinson pulling Bobcat defenders through the mud. It was awesome and still gives me chills to think about it.

I also was a videogrpapher for the local channel here in Louisa years ago and in 2002 remember videoing the Bulldogs beat Belfry in over-time at Vipperman stadium when Michael West scored on a sweep.
2009 4A State Championship. Boyle County beats Lone Oak 42-39 in double overtime.
Raceland -22
Fairview -14
OT

Raceland was 9-1 going in and Fairview was 9-0...
Coach Ross had the RACELAND Coach bus driven right onto the track. I can still hear Coach Cooksey yelling at the guys, 'Do you want to go ride that bus?'

Fairview outplayed the Rams for most of the game, and with 1:37 left in the fourth, Raceland found itself 60 something yards away from the goal line and Fairview's D had been really stingy. One well placed pass to Mark Kirk from Brett Mills, who eluded two defenders (if my memory serves me correctly, they ran into one another) for a TD, and Mills faked middle and ran around the right side to score the 2pt. conversion.

I can't remember the OT that much because I was so shocked by the comeback. I hope someone else can fill in that part!

Both teams lost in the playoffs to Beechwood, Fairview first, then Raceland the following week.
eratia Wrote:Raceland -22
Fairview -14
OT

Raceland was 9-1 going in and Fairview was 9-0...
Coach Ross had the RACELAND Coach bus driven right onto the track. I can still hear Coach Cooksey yelling at the guys, 'Do you want to go ride that bus?'

Fairview outplayed the Rams for most of the game, and with 1:37 left in the fourth, Raceland found itself 60 something yards away from the goal line and Fairview's D had been really stingy. One well placed pass to Mark Kirk from Brett Mills, who eluded two defenders (if my memory serves me correctly, they ran into one another) for a TD, and Mills faked middle and ran around the right side to score the 2pt. conversion.

I can't remember the OT that much because I was so shocked by the comeback. I hope someone else can fill in that part!

Both teams lost in the playoffs to Beechwood, Fairview first, then Raceland the following week.
I was at that game too!! I forgot all that game. That was a great game. One of Fairview's touchdowns was a punt return in which he signaled a fair catch and Raceland punt team just stopped.

I thought tying TD pass was tipped by a Fairview defender into Kirk's hands. Either way, it was a great play.

I could be wrong, I don't remember for sure, I think Raceland scored in OT on another Brett Mills QB sneak
All of Estill's
Last years game against Hazard and LCA. LCA lead most of the game and hazard driving down to score with less than a minute to come within a point of tieing the game. Then they go for it and take the lead. 29 to 28.
Pulaski County 82
Louisville Waggoner 68
2nd round of the state playoffs in 2003. At Waggoner.

No Overtime! Pulaski trailed 61-41 with 4 minutes to go in the third quarter! Never seen anything like it.
Whitley County 25
Bell County 21

Bell had scored on a couple of halfback passes in the game and had burnt us with it all night. And, with a few seconds left and bell with the ball in whitley territory, Bells RB sure enough stepped back and let it fly again, and sure enough the bell reciever was wide open, however, the ball went straight threw his arms and hit the ground in the endzone as time ran out. Nobody was within ten yards of him. That was probably the most fans that ever attended a game at Whitley. Standing room only and it was all the way around the field, three or four rows deep. Truly best atmosphere ive ever been to.

Whitley Co. 27
@Bell Co. 10

I just loved this game because we never got wins at Bell Co. and this was the year we just simply outmatched bell size and speed wise. It was good to see a turning of the tide, but that was also the last year we played them until a few years ago when the rivalry renewed, and bell has owned ever since.

Whitley Co. 33
@GRC 28

Last second fake field goal for whitley won it as time expired. The reciever was wide open for a td when the qb rolled out and faked the fg. It was 28-27 in favor of grc and whitley marched down the field with under a minute left to set up the play from the 30. It ruined grc's senior night and sent us home happy.
2 that i'll never forget at Covington Holy Cross

1. Freshman year in high school, our freshman team played Highlands up at there house. We had 15 guys on our team, but 2 were hurt, so we only played 13. Our run defense was lights out and Highlands kept trying to run the ball on us. We were up 14-7 with about 20 seconds to go. one of Highlands WR burned our CB on a go route and scored on a 75 yard pass. Instead of going for the tie, they went for 2. I split a double team and tackled the RB in the backfield. As soon as I got up, our varsity team and coaches rushed the field and celebrated with us. Dale Mueller was on the sideline chewing out the freshman coaches. Playing a game up at Highlands is a great experience, and beating Highlands there makes it even better

The 2nd was my senior year when we beat NewCath 10-7. I fractured my ankle 2 weeks prior, but got cleared the day before the game (that conversation stays between me and the doctor). Bob Schneider walked over, shook my hand and told me that our O-line was one of the best he's ever seen. Getting a compliment like that from one of the winningest coaches in state history gave me chills. To be in the same district as Beechwood and NCC is brutal and to beat one of them made my high school career. Of course they came back and scored 28 unanswered points in the 2nd half to end our season in the playoffs.
toussaints Wrote:2 that i'll never forget at Covington Holy Cross

1. Freshman year in high school, our freshman team played Highlands up at there house. We had 15 guys on our team, but 2 were hurt, so we only played 13. Our run defense was lights out and Highlands kept trying to run the ball on us. We were up 14-7 with about 20 seconds to go. one of Highlands WR burned our CB on a go route and scored on a 75 yard pass. Instead of going for the tie, they went for 2. I split a double team and tackled the RB in the backfield. As soon as I got up, our varsity team and coaches rushed the field and celebrated with us. Dale Mueller was on the sideline chewing out the freshman coaches. Playing a game up at Highlands is a great experience, and beating Highlands there makes it even better

The 2nd was my senior year when we beat NewCath 10-7. I fractured my ankle 2 weeks prior, but got cleared the day before the game (that conversation stays between me and the doctor). Bob Schneider walked over, shook my hand and told me that our O-line was one of the best he's ever seen. Getting a compliment like that from one of the winningest coaches in state history gave me chills. To be in the same district as Beechwood and NCC is brutal and to beat one of them made my high school career. Of course they came back and scored 28 unanswered points in the 2nd half to end our season in the playoffs.

What year was the Highlands game?
The Louisville Male and Trinity game where Brian Brohm and Michael Bush was the QB of their team...
In 1982 the Dragons travelled to 4A Laurel Co. to play them on their senior night. They were graduating about 25 seniors that night and I remember all of us thinking that the seniors on the field were their team. Just after the ceremony about 45 to 50 more came running out onto the field. We were in awe of their size. We were single A and not used to that kind of environment. After shaking it off we proceeded to beat that giant of a team. It took us all 4 quarters to do it but we got the job done. I have to think that they thought they were having a cupcake to go with their ceremony,but it didn't turn out that way. That was a great memory. We went on to a 10-1 season with our only loss to Cumberland in sqeaker for the district championship. They went on to lose to Paris in the state title game.
Breathitt vs. Belfry 2008. It was a great rematch from the previous year when Belfry stomped us at Cam. I didn't play either year, but the 2008 game was incredible. It was nerve racking just watching the game.

Also Breathitt vs. Russel in 2007. Breathitt overcame the Red devil's in the second half with some huge plays, I especially Remember Ryan Allen having some of those huge plays. Both of these games were fantastic and are to this day the best games I have ever watched.
tradition Wrote:What year was the Highlands game?

2003, it was a freshman game
My Senior football season at Pike Central in 2009.
We had a lot of first that year for Pike Central Football.
1st win over Sheldon Clark 40-18
1st time district runner-ups
1st home playoff game
1st time beating the number one team in the state at the time Mason County 26-23
1st regional playoff game hosted and played
2005... Hazard-vs-Prestonsburg

We (Hazard) were down 6 and P'burg had the ball with around 2 minutes left.... P'burg fumbled the ball and Hazard recovered... We scored with like :20 sec left to tie the game, then we went for 2 and got it... (didn't trust our kicker)....

Hazard 16
P'burg 14
I was a part of two great games at Johnson Central in 97. JC defeated Sheldon Clark in regulation with a lot of controversy. Game was aired on WYMT. The second was the JC v. Bell Co playoff game in 97. Bell scored with under a minute to go to take the lead in a game and win.
BoyleCounty Wrote:2009 4A State Championship. Boyle County beats Lone Oak 42-39 in double overtime.

and the game winning TD came on 4th and goal, last play of the game, for all the marbles. QB sneak by Goldsmith. Gutsy call. Hard to beat that.
Ultimaterebelfan Wrote:and the game winning TD came on 4th and goal, last play of the game, for all the marbles. QB sneak by Goldsmith. Gutsy call. Hard to beat that.

Absolutely. It was the last play of the game either way. You get the TD, you win. You fall short, you lose. Even more, it was for the State Championship. It was one heck of a game. I was standing on my tippy toes the whole game.
Last years Johnson Central - Highlands game was a dandy. JC driving late with a chance to win with very little time on the clock and dropped 2 passes in the endzone! Even though we lost and it still hurts a little to think about. It will go down as a classic!
toussaints Wrote:2003, it was a freshman game

Yep, I remember that game. Highlands didn't have a running back for that game.:HitWall:
tradition Wrote:Yep, I remember that game. Highlands didn't have a running back for that game.:HitWall:

and i think it was one of their receivers that broke his leg in the 1st half. that was a fun game to play in
The best 2 games I took part both came in 1962. In the first game Corbin(my team) beat the defending 1a state champs redhound93
Statisticianp

* The best 2 plpl I played in came in 1962. We beat the 1a state champs of 1961, Lynch
Join Date: Loll Field @ UK. Sadly, for us, we lost to Danville 13-6, a team we had beaten 19-6 @ Danpplville in the regular season
In 1962 the Corbin Redhounds defeated both the 1961 1a state champs Lynch (6-0) & the Highlands Bluebirds (10-0) on our way to the 2a finals. Highlands had a long streak of winning against Ky teams(I think about 50 games & 3-4 state championships). All the larger schools were in class 2a then except for the Louisville schools which were 3a, our highest class. These 2 games are embedded in my failing memory. GO HOUNDS
papawron Wrote:In 1962 the Corbin Redhounds defeated both the 1961 1a state champs Lynch (6-0) & the Highlands Bluebirds (10-0) on our way to the 2a finals. Highlands had a long streak of winning against Ky teams(I think about 50 games & 3-4 state championships). All the larger schools were in class 2a then except for the Louisville schools which were 3a, our highest class. These 2 games are embedded in my failing memory. GO HOUNDS

:Thumbs: I looked it up and Highlands had won 2 straight AA titles prior to that game. They lost in the title game in '59 to Henderson.

Danville had Sam Burke on that team I believe and were pretty good that season as well. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote::Thumbs: I looked it up and Highlands had won 2 straight AA titles prior to that game. They lost in the title game in '59 to Henderson.

Danville had Sam Burke on that team I believe and were pretty good that season as well. :Thumbs:

If I recall well. Sam Burke went on to be an All-American at Georgia Tech. Correct?
BoyleCounty Wrote:If I recall well. Sam Burke went on to be an All-American at Georgia Tech. Correct?

I don't know that Sam was an All-American but he was a Three year letterman who was drafted I think by Detroit. He played from '64 to '66. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:I don't know that Sam was an All-American but he was a Three year letterman who was drafted I think by Detroit. He played from '64 to '66. :Thumbs:

I don't know what I was thinking. Gerry Bussell was the All-American DB. Either way, Sam Burke had a good career with the Yellow Jackets.