Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Calipari Says Duke Will Not Play Kentucky
UK head coach John Calipari spoke to a group of about 200 people last night at the Telford YMCA in Richmond.

Calipari touched on several subjects and even managed to slide in a shot directed at Duke University.

"They will not play us," Calipari said when asked about the Blue Devils.

DukeBasketballReport.com responded to Calipari's comments this morning:

We’re not privy to any negotiations, but we know that Duke and Kentucky have talked about it in the recent past and there was an interest. For whatever reason it hasn’t happened.

Here’s a reasonable guess: given the venom that still comes out of Lexington, nearly 20 years after The Shot, why would anyone from Duke wish to play there? It’s an unhealthy atmosphere which comes from the inability of Kentucky fans to deal with reality.

Nothing other than a win could come out of such a trip, and the rest would be bad, particularly if Duke did win.

And we’re guessing that Kentucky isn’t exactly fired up for a trip to Cameron either.

Or maybe Duke’s just waiting for him to win his 500th before deeming him a worthy challenger

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2011/06/john-c...-play.html
This makes me sad!!

Sad
^ Duke's just scared
Of course, UK-Duke game will happen in 2012? Tournament of Champions or whatever it's called.
^They should be!

:biggrin:
Home & Home...Let's do it!
Duke had better be scared for their life IMO..
So Duke is basically scared because of our venomous fans, yet Louisville doesn't back down when it comes to renewing our home & home series. There's far more venom towards Louisville than Duke. Just an excuse on Dukes part.

Sad thing is, it's not just Kentucky they do this with. Have you ever seen Duke play anyone worth a shit in the non-conference at someone elses gym that they've not been forced to play in? The answer is no. They want to pad their schedule to make them look better than they really are.
Duck Fuke.
BCF4L Wrote:So Duke is basically scared because of our venomous fans, yet Louisville doesn't back down when it comes to renewing our home & home series. There's far more venom towards Louisville than Duke. Just an excuse on Dukes part.

Sad thing is, it's not just Kentucky they do this with. Have you ever seen Duke play anyone worth a shit in the non-conference at someone elses gym that they've not been forced to play in? The answer is no. They want to pad their schedule to make them look better than they really are.

Well said Appalachian Wireless guru!
BCF4L Wrote:So Duke is basically scared because of our venomous fans, yet Louisville doesn't back down when it comes to renewing our home & home series. There's far more venom towards Louisville than Duke. Just an excuse on Dukes part.

I think UK fans hate Duke more than Louisville
Real Badman Wrote:Of course, UK-Duke game will happen in 2012? Tournament of Champions or whatever it's called.

Exactly....
why is everyone taking shots when we are going to play on a neutral court?
zaga_fan Wrote:I think UK fans hate Duke more than Louisville
Don't get me wrong, I hate Duke with a passion, but I'm one of the few UK fans who don't see Duke as a rival. I hate Duke for the same reasons I hate UNC, Kansas, etc. and that's because they are all perennial powers.
I hate dUKE with a passion and would love to see a home-home series. Bring them to rupp and we go to that crappy high school gym they play in.
Who cares about dUKe being on the schedule
everyone does cause they (we) all wanna see who the true dominant team is (which we all know it's UK) but dUKe doesn't think so. There just too scared/chicken/etc. etc. to play us
IMO a yearly series would be good for both programs. That being said, it does seem like Duke tends to avoid this game for whatever reason.
I Am The Genius Wrote:IMO a yearly series would be good for both programs. That being said, it does seem like Duke tends to avoid this game for whatever reason.

If you ever notice they never play good unless it is at that tiny little gym they have. They are overrated every year though because they refuse to play any tough non-conference road games.
Well obviously Duke seems to be scared to play us at Rupp! I don't really understand their arrogance either because we lead the series 11-8.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:If you ever notice they never play good unless it is at that tiny little gym they have. They are overrated every year though because they refuse to play any tough non-conference road games.

Yeah, definitely. Cameron is one tough place to play...also saw an interview with Bill Self from KU not too long ago and he even talked about how hard it was for KU to schedule Duke to a home and home.
leecoukfan Wrote:Well obviously Duke seems to be scared to play us at Rupp! I don't really understand their arrogance either because we lead the series 11-8.

I would like to see a home and home like we do with UNC. I would like to see more teams schedule tougher non conference teams. This would make for some fun December games.

And I do hate Duke, not just because of the shot as I have hated them since the early 80's. And it was only the Shot because it was against Kentucky. Had that been any other team it would not have been such a big shot. UK did return the favor in '98 as we knocked them out on the way to another national title. It does seem as thought Duke avoids most competetion outside the ACC. We are 11-8 series leader but Coach K is 5-1 against the Cats. And a 500 win coach should not want to back down from anyone but I guess that is the easy way to get to 500 wins, play a week non conference schedule. It seems as though duke is using the shot as an excuse to avoid us.
Colonel Kill Wrote:I would like to see a home and home like we do with UNC. I would like to see more teams schedule tougher non conference teams. This would make for some fun December games.

And I do hate Duke, not just because of the shot as I have hated them since the early 80's. And it was only the Shot because it was against Kentucky. Had that been any other team it would not have been such a big shot. UK did return the favor in '98 as we knocked them out on the way to another national title. It does seem as thought Duke avoids most competetion outside the ACC. We are 11-8 series leader but Coach K is 5-1 against the Cats. And a 500 win coach should not want to back down from anyone but I guess that is the easy way to get to 500 wins, play a week non conference schedule. It seems as though duke is using the shot as an excuse to avoid us.

Exactly!! I think that Coach K should be eager to try and rekindle the Duke/UK rivalry!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
leecoukfan Wrote:Exactly!! I think that Coach K should be eager to try and rekindle the Duke/UK rivalry!!

Coach K doesnt like competition. He hates to lose and he knows going to Rupp is a real bad idea if you hate to lose.
To duke University I say. LETS PLAY FOOTBALL lol.
IMO it sounds like neither school ois to eager to travel to thDuke come others home. Duke coming ot UK would result in a Uk victory, and UK going to duke would result in a UK loss... Yeah i know you guys think UK could travel to the staples center and beat the lakers though. But in this series, why not play on a neutral floor? Could that help ease both sides into playing?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:IMO it sounds like neither school ois to eager to travel to thDuke come others home. Duke coming ot UK would result in a Uk victory, and UK going to duke would result in a UK loss... Yeah i know you guys think UK could travel to the staples center and beat the lakers though. But in this series, why not play on a neutral floor? Could that help ease both sides into playing?

While we usually do not agree, I agree that a neutral court game would be best. Make it a local-neutral game (i.e Louisville one year, Charlotte one year)
I'd say we just chill and play them in the game we have already contracted to play them in.
zaga_fan Wrote:I'd say we just chill and play them in the game we have already contracted to play them in.

Good deal.