Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County Black Bears Schedule
What do you think? I think that this is a very tough schedule...

2011 Schedule

Aug. 11 vs Corbin (Grid-o-Rama)

Aug. 20 at Morristown East

Aug. 27 vs Paul Dunbar (at Lafayette)

Sept. 2 at Gate City, Va.

Sept. 9 Open

Sept. 16 vs Lee, Va.

Sept. 23 vs Knox Central

Sept. 30 at George Rogers Clark

Oct. 7 vs Letcher Central

Oct. 14 at Whitley County

Oct. 21 vs Perry Central

Oct. 28 at Bell County
are these out of state teams any count?
The Iceboxx Wrote:are these out of state teams any count?

Morristown East out of Tennessee is a very good program in the Volunteer State. They have only won One State Championship in the schools history, but they always field a competetive squad. Their most recent successful year was in 2006, when they were a TSSAA Class 4A State-Semifinalist.

Two schools in Morristown; East and West. Football loving town.
Gate City won the Virginia 2A State championship last season.
not AA, like back in the 70's, but "defacto" 2A ... Group A, Div. 2.
good schedule
yes Morristown East ans Gate City very good teams in seen both played when i live in johnson city tn,they will be tested for sure..
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Morristown East out of Tennessee is a very good program in the Volunteer State. They have only won One State Championship in the schools history, but they always field a competetive squad. Their most recent successful year was in 2006, when they were a TSSAA Class 4A State-Semifinalist.

Two schools in Morristown; East and West. Football loving town.

I lived in Tennessee for close to two years, I was fairly close to Morristown and I must say that the Morristown East vs West game has to be one of the biggest rivalrys in Tennessee High School Football if not the biggest!

Anyways...this game will be a very tough matchup for the Black Bears.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Coach Larkey has really jumped up his schedule this year, if the out of state teams are like normal this will be the toughest test top to bottom for the Bears in their 4 year history. This looks to be a lot of teams that will test the pre-season #2 team in 5A. Looking for a fast summer so we can get to the best time of the year, football time!
wow! coach larkey really steped up his schedule
this year.
It does look like a very hard schedule, why so many out of state teams?
No other choice, he had a hard time filling a schedule this year!
The Black Bears will not be able to beat any of those out of state teams except Lee Co. Va.
atlanta Wrote:The Black Bears will not be able to beat any of those out of state teams except Lee Co. Va.

Have you seen any of them even play? If so, against whom. Give us a run down of what Gate City and Mo Town East run and what they have coming back. I remember many picking HC 4th and 5th in that district last year too.
I'm with Yogi on this one.
Yogibear Wrote:Have you seen any of them even play? If so, against whom. Give us a run down of what Gate City and Mo Town East run and what they have coming back. I remember many picking HC 4th and 5th in that district last year too.

Gate City won the Division 2 State Title here in VA last year. They are usually quite good and have a long tradition of contending for the state title in the Commonwealth. :Thumbs:
Yogibear Wrote:Have you seen any of them even play? If so, against whom. Give us a run down of what Gate City and Mo Town East run and what they have coming back. I remember many picking HC 4th and 5th in that district last year too.

Gate City won the Division 2 State Title here in VA last year. They are usually quite good and have a long tradition of contending for the state title in the Commonwealth. :Thumbs:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/CGz...hedule.htm

Triple Post. Sorry
Morristown East finished 5-6 last season.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/5qN...hedule.htm
Hatz Wrote:Morristown East finished 5-6 last season.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/5qN...hedule.htm

I already know all of this. Thanks though. I was just asking the other guy sarcastically what he knew to make him make that prediction. Gate City lost 7 or 8 starters on offense and defense. They are generally pretty good but that division in Va is generally weak. Mo Town, TN returns about 7 on each side of the ball. They have some athletes but are not very physical.
Blackbears finish 9-1 with a loss to Perry Wink
zaga_fan Wrote:[Image: http://sportsmaven.files.wordpress.com/2...-28-07.jpg]
Let the games begin Smile

Glad to see you Zaga.........means it is almost football time again!!! Pace yourself. We still have quite a few weeks left till the season begins.
I am excited about my first year as a huge Black Bear fan. I live in Harlan and pulled for them last year but this will be my first year as a true Black Bear fan.
zaga_fan Wrote:[Image: http://sportsmaven.files.wordpress.com/2...-28-07.jpg]
Let the games begin Smile

We're heading for a showdown! I can't wait!!
Patriot Wrote:We're heading for a showdown! I can't wait!!

Looks like we're on the schedule for your senior night...
I'd hate to leave a bad taste in your kids' mouth Wink
However, I think this may be the year you guys take down Bell County so you should recover.
Yogibear Wrote:... that division in Va is generally weak.

Really? Compared to what? 5A?

According to Maxpreps's ratings, none of VA's Group A teams (Div. 2 & Div. 1) came close to NCC last year, but 4 teams had a higher rating than #2 Owensboro Cath.

Compared to KY 3A, VA had 4 A teams with higher ratings than #1 Central. 3A only had 8 teams higher than a 5.5, VA's A had 18.

And Gate City had a higher rating than Hazard, Belfry, Knox Cenral, Pulaski Co. & Scott Co.
I did not say Gate City was weak, only the division. Gate City is very well respected over here. They could compete with most teams in EKY, but who did they really have to beat in the playoffs that could play before Gretna? Max preps rankings mean nothing. I can promise you that there are not 4 teams in VA A that could beat Louisville Central. There are probably only 8 to 10 schools in the entire state of KY who could beat them, just happens that they play 4 or 5 of them every year. They are no joke. Central would not rate well on a scale like MaxPreps because they play the toughest schedule around for a school their size so they lose around half their reg season games.
Yogibear Wrote:I did not say Gate City was weak, only the division. Gate City is very well respected over here. They could compete with most teams in EKY, but who did they really have to beat in the playoffs that could play before Gretna? Max preps rankings mean nothing. I can promise you that there are not 4 teams in VA A that could beat Louisville Central. There are probably only 8 to 10 schools in the entire state of KY who could beat them, just happens that they play 4 or 5 of them every year. They are no joke. Central would not rate well on a scale like MaxPreps because they play the toughest schedule around for a school their size so they lose around half their reg season games.

:Thumbs:
zaga_fan Wrote:Looks like we're on the schedule for your senior night...
I'd hate to leave a bad taste in your kids' mouth Wink
However, I think this may be the year you guys take down Bell County so you should recover.

We were at your place Senior Night last year! That was RB Jake Middletons breakout game.

You will have to travel to bell county to watch this year but you better sit on the HC side!