Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP All-state and Mr. Football?
Kosar Wrote:Corey Lyle lead the state in reg season rushing and doesn't even get a mention???

As an AP voter you only vote for FOUR running backs. That's it.

And with guys like Wales (Louisville Central), Jude (Johnson Central), Cross (Rowan), Bishop (Trinity), Elliot (Ryle), Bland (Danville), Warr (Manual), Boards (AC-S), McMurry (St. Xavier), etc., Lyle was a longshot to even make honorable mention.

And you only vote for two QB, thus it's tough to even be honorable mention at QB.

Only 10 QBs (1 first team, 1 second team, 8 honorable mention) got enough votes to make honorable mention at least.

There are only eight all-state RBs for the AP.

And for the guy above, making a bunch of PATs doesn't make you a great kicker ... it could just mean you kick for a high-scoring team.

Wallace (Central Hardin) was the second team punter/HM kicker ... and he's a D-I signee to Louisville (one of only two D-I signee kickers from Kentucky this year, IIRC).
cksportsfan Wrote:As an AP voter you only vote for FOUR running backs. That's it.

And with guys like Wales (Louisville Central), Jude (Johnson Central), Cross (Rowan), Bishop (Trinity), Elliot (Ryle), Bland (Danville), Warr (Manual), Boards (AC-S), McMurry (St. Xavier), etc., Lyle was a longshot to even make honorable mention.

And you only vote for two QB, thus it's tough to even be honorable mention at QB.

Only 10 QBs (1 first team, 1 second team, 8 honorable mention) got enough votes to make honorable mention at least.

And for the guy above, making a bunch of PATs doesn't make you a great kicker ... it could just mean you kick for a high-scoring team.
Wallace (Central Hardin) was the second team punter/HM kicker ... and he's a D-I signee to Louisville (one of only two D-I signee kickers from Kentucky this year, IIRC).

With that viewpoint, would any of these players be all-state if they didn't have help from teammates? And you don't set state records by being just an average player.

I'm sure all of the kickers that did make it deserved it, but Harris deserved it as well. Of the 6 kickers that made All State, only 3 of them had more field goals than Harris. And NONE of them were even close in total points. And Harris should get very good college offers in a few years, he is accurate with a huge leg, but he's still got two more high school seasons in him.
I have 2 questions. I'm not sure if Boyle is considered central KY or not, but is central KY that bad that they don't even get an HM? So question #2, is Cy Williams 1st team or HM. AP voters you really made yourselves look like amatuer reporters in this vote.
joejoe Wrote:I have 2 questions. I'm not sure if Boyle is considered central KY or not, but is central KY that bad that they don't even get an HM? So question #2, is Cy Williams 1st team or HM. AP voters you really made yourselves look like amatuer reporters in this vote.

Can't answer the 2nd question but as to the first: Yes Boyle is definitely considered Central Kentucky. I (despite WYMT) still consider anyone that made up the old Central Kentucky Conference to be a team from Central Kentucky. :Thumbs:

(BTW, Somerset used to be in the old CKC, hence my reference)
Hatz Wrote:Can't answer the 2nd question but as to the first: Yes Boyle is definitely considered Central Kentucky. I (despite WYMT) still consider anyone that made up the old Central Kentucky Conference to be a team from Central Kentucky. :Thumbs:

(BTW, Somerset used to be in the old CKC, hence my reference)

I don't see why Boyle wouldn't be considered central KY, the geographical center of Kentucky is located there!
MSU Eagle Wrote:I don't see why Boyle wouldn't be considered central KY, the geographical center of Kentucky is located there!

I thought that Boyle was, so that means Cen. Ky. had one player selected to the AP. I guess they couldn't leave the best player in the state off. Congrats to Lamar and good luck in the All American game.
Cats02 Wrote:Josh Brown Honorable Mention thats a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! much better LB that one or two LB's that is on the first and second team. He should be first team LB. Just played with a kid that had the last right night.

I'm sure he never got a thought at the Border Bowl either.
Cj should have put Tandy as a WR because there no way he's better than Melvin from Western. So the AP got it right. On that part.
Pike Central ends up with 3 All Staters!!!! Channing Smith (2nd team), Boggs (HM) and Johnson (HM), congrats to these young men and to coach chapman!!
Brown from Bell should been higher and can't believe Davenport from Bell was not even HM???
cksportsfan Wrote:As an AP voter you only vote for FOUR running backs. That's it.

In my book going perfect for the season on extra points, makes you a good kicker. Not only was he perfect for the season, he broke the KHSAA Start record for consecitive made kicks. I believe he finished in the ball park of 80 straight. No kicker in the history of the KHSAA, has ever done what Will did this year. I think that makes him great! Maybe not the best, but great. IMO that atleast deserves honorable mention.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Pike Central ends up with 3 All Staters!!!! Channing Smith (2nd team), Boggs (HM) and Johnson (HM), congrats to these young men and to coach chapman!!
Honorable mention is a great accomplishment , whowever it is not all state.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Brown from Bell should been higher and can't believe Davenport from Bell was not even HM???
Davenport was and is one of the best running backs in the Eastern US. He could have had 3X the yardage listed had Bell decided to leave him in games and hand him the ball.
Coachdad Wrote:Honorable mention is a great accomplishment , whowever it is not all state.
I'm sorry but I disagree with your take on that. Honorable Mention is indeed an All State award. Using that logic, you could say 2nd Team is not All State. The bottom line is there are 240 or so football teams in KY with around 2000 players. To be named on this list is a great honor regardless of at what level.
I think people need to keep in mind that if the reporter who has an AP vote in your region doesn't vote then the kid you want to see on the team won't get any votes. It's obvious looking at the all state teams that certain regional AP voters didn't cast a vote. That's why. It's not that the kids weren't deserving. No one from their region voted.....period.
RebelPride12 Wrote:I think people need to keep in mind that if the reporter who has an AP vote in your region doesn't vote then the kid you want to see on the team won't get any votes. It's obvious looking at the all state teams that certain regional AP voters didn't cast a vote. That's why. It's not that the kids weren't deserving. No one from their region voted.....period.

IMO, if that's the case, those people should lose their rights to vote for this. Give it to someone who will vote. It's not fair to the kids.
MSU Eagle Wrote:IMO, if that's the case, those people should lose their rights to vote for this. Give it to someone who will vote. It's not fair to the kids.

I agree.

Wasn't there only 13 voters out of what should have been 20+ people voting?

Heres my problem, all of the rb's you named had less yards than Lyle, so how can he be a long shot?
Kosar Wrote:Heres my problem, all of the rb's you named had less yards than Lyle, so how can he be a long shot?
I don't know about the others but unless I am mistaken, Jude had more yardage than any other running back in the state this season and he played against a much tougher schedule than Lyle. (Although it is unfortunate that his stats have not been posted yet on the KHSAA web site.)
Kosar Wrote:Heres my problem, all of the rb's you named had less yards than Lyle, so how can he be a long shot?

As Hoot stated, all the other guys played a much tougher competition than Lyle. Setting single game rushing records against Raceland and Boyd Co. is not going to impress writers outside of NEKY. Who was Greenup's toughest game? Knox Co. Central or Ashland? How did he do against them?
Another major factor working against him was that only 13 AP outlets that voted for All State. Nobody from NEKY even made honorable mention, which tells me whoever does the voting for the Daily Independent, Greenup News (if it has a vote), or any other newspaper in that area that may have a vote for AP did not submit a vote. Writers vote for who they know.
I am not trying to put him down, I am just trying to state all the factors he has working against him.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't know about the others but unless I am mistaken, Jude had more yardage than any other running back in the state this season and he played against a much tougher schedule than Lyle. (Although it is unfortunate that his stats have not been posted yet on the KHSAA web site.)

Not in the regular season. Lyle out rushed Jude. In the playoffs Jude blew him away, but Lyle lead the state in the first 10 games. I don't care who he played, the states leading rusher should be all state. That's a no brainer.
Football1 Wrote:I'm sorry but I disagree with your take on that. Honorable Mention is indeed an All State award. Using that logic, you could say 2nd Team is not All State. The bottom line is there are 240 or so football teams in KY with around 2000 players. To be named on this list is a great honor regardless of at what level.
Did you read the part when I acknowledged it is a great accomplishment? I made honorable mention when I was in high school, I do not go around telling people that I made all state, my son on the other hand made 3rd team last year & second team this year Me (I) do think his accomplishments are a little better than what I made. Sorry for having my own opinion.
I think that Tim Smith from shelby valley. Should have been on there somewhere.. He lead 2A in rushing this season.. AP shouldnt even put this out.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Brown from Bell should been higher and can't believe Davenport from Bell was not even HM???

I agree Brown should of been higher. And Brent Marsee and Jonathan Burnett was not even HM.
How did hunter james make it as defensive back and never played a single down of defense?
Mr.cold Wrote:I think that Tim Smith from shelby valley. Should have been on there somewhere.. He lead 2A in rushing this season.. AP shouldnt even put this out.
I'm glad Tim got hm from courier
Coachdad Wrote:I'm glad Tim got hm from courier

Yeah me 2. But he should have been at least 3th team... Hes to good of a running back.
Mr.cold Wrote:Yeah me 2. But he should have been at least 3th team... Hes to good of a running back.
I used to be tim's coach(for his 1st 3 years of HS) and he is hands down better than 90% of all running backs I love Tim like a fat kid loves cake , but the backs that were chosen did deserve it

Davenport should have been SECOND team atleast!
Trenches07 Wrote:Davenport should have been SECOND team atleast!

Who do you put him in front of?

Jude?
Wales of Central?
Elliott of Ryle?

I think missing those games hurt Davenport's recognition.