Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Courier-Journal All State Team
joejoe Wrote:It don't show it for some reason on the link above, but Demarcus Smith from Seneca was the 1st team QB. I think this link shows all 24, 1st team players
http://www.courier-journal.com/section/sports

I thought it was kind of funny that no QB made 1st team; thanks for the update.
Football1 Wrote:Look - I'm frustrated and dissapointed in the process - not the kids who won. If my post came across as "taking a shot at a kid" it was certainly not my intent. The process is flawed when not a single kid gets any level of recognition for All State on a team as good as Knox was in 2010.

I definately agree... and yet Betsy Layne, Phelps, and East Ridge had several kids on the honorable mention list. Not knocking those kids...great job, but come on!
Football1 Wrote:Feel free to call me out for a case of sour grapes here as I feel it for sure. But Knox Central had the most successful season in the schools histroy. We beat Rowan like a drum who beat Lawrence even worse and yet both those teams are well respresented on this list while Knox Central has ZERO players. That is a tragedy for the young me who put in the work, get the wins, and by some political garbage fail to be recognized.
I understand your dilemma , however these are individual awards.
Congrats to Zach Eastham(QB) Honorable Mention, Alex Abner(RB) Honorable Mention, Steve McQueen(WR) Honorable Mention all of Pulaski County!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Highlands with just a 3rd teamer and some Honorable Mentions. It speaks to the volume of the program to have few of their players included in the All-State Team and yet to have so much success on the field. No 1st team QB? Very stupid and ignorant.
Do ot understand how RYLE Who was semi state finalist gave trinity there best in state game & beat highlands & had arguably the states best rusher only gets Elliott on 2nd team all state what about there great offensive line crew with studs like delaney & Teepen on it & there defense with Mace & zenvisky & Teepen & Hempel &mace seeing action since there sophomore year they had amazing seasons better than slot that are on these list....
TNT-MB1 Wrote:Do ot understand how RYLE Who was semi state finalist gave trinity there best in state game & beat highlands & had arguably the states best rusher only gets Elliott on 2nd team all state what about there great offensive line crew with studs like delaney & Teepen on it & there defense with Mace & zenvisky & Teepen & Hempel &mace seeing action since there sophomore year they had amazing seasons better than slot that are on these list....

To be realistic though, Highlands did beat Ryle once in their two-game series this year.

Overall, NKY is very underrepresented. However, their teams' play speak for themselves on the field.
Football1 Wrote:Feel free to call me out for a case of sour grapes here as I feel it for sure. But Knox Central had the most successful season in the schools histroy. We beat Rowan like a drum who beat Lawrence even worse and yet both those teams are well respresented on this list while Knox Central has ZERO players. That is a tragedy for the young me who put in the work, get the wins, and by some political garbage fail to be recognized.

Beat Rowan like a drum? Go ask your former coach about that..Why would you get on here and blast other schools kids because your son did not make it...Thats where kids in todays society get the "cry baby" stuff...PARENTS! You are right Knox had an excellent football team this year but dont put other schools down...any way AP might give you guys some love.:lmao:
Congrats to all of the Southwestern Warriors that made the list!! Zack Fowler(DE) 2nd Team Defense Alan Williams(WR) Honorable Mention Rob Lewis(DL) Honorable Mention
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats to Storm Wilson(WR) Honorable Mention of the Somerset Briar Jumpers!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Football1 Wrote:Look - I'm frustrated and dissapointed in the process - not the kids who won. If my post came across as "taking a shot at a kid" it was certainly not my intent. The process is flawed when not a single kid gets any level of recognition for All State on a team as good as Knox was in 2010.

It is a shame that the name Canady is not on the list as both of those boys are very special athletes indeed. I think that if there was a receiving or athlete category in the honorable mention list, the name couldn't be overlooked. Gilliam was also an extrordinary D lineman this season for KC. I was particularly impressed late in the season with the play of #65 at LB for KC. I believe the kid's name was Cody Smith and he played a dandy of a game against Rowan. Good luck to all of these young men...you played very well for Knox Central this past season.
The Courier-Journal is a bunch of BS!!!!!!!!! Bottom line.
papagrit Wrote:It is a shame that the name Canady is not on the list as both of those boys are very special athletes indeed. I think that if there was a receiving or athlete category in the honorable mention list, the name couldn't be overlooked. Gilliam was also an extrordinary D lineman this season for KC. I was particularly impressed late in the season with the play of #65 at LB for KC. I believe the kid's name was Cody Smith and he played a dandy of a game against Rowan. Good luck to all of these young men...you played very well for Knox Central this past season.
Gilliam was one of the best DLineman I have ever seen. For him not to get on this list invalidates the effort. And J Canady is the top rated D1 recruit in his class and had a tremendous season - again not on the list. Looks like I'm not the only one seeing this...
STATE CHAMP Wrote:Beat Rowan like a drum? Go ask your former coach about that..Why would you get on here and blast other schools kids because your son did not make it...Thats where kids in todays society get the "cry baby" stuff...PARENTS! You are right Knox had an excellent football team this year but dont put other schools down...any way AP might give you guys some love.:lmao:
I contemplated not responding to this as history has taught that owners of such posts are not typically capable of intelligent debate; but then again Christmas is only a couple of days in the rear view mirror, so let's take a shot at this.

In no way did I "cry" or complain that my son was not on this list. In no way did I disaparage any recipient of these awards. You are foolish for suggesting such an outright lie. What I did do was point out that Knox Central does not have a single player on the All state list at any level while teams that we beat and teams they beat have several. How you can miscontrue that as "crying" and teaching kids to whine is beyond me.

Clearly, you have no concern for what is right or what is fair. These individual awards should in some way line up with team success; afterall, this is a team sport. And when teams as good as Knox was get ZERO players on the list, it should be called out. Do awards matter? Yes - they do. In 1989, I was the Defensive Lineman of the year for Single A ball in the state of VA. It helped me earn a scholarship to play college football and get a degree. So, yeah - I think it should be done fairly and this year it clearly missed that metric.
TNT-MB1 Wrote:Do ot understand how RYLE Who was semi state finalist gave trinity there best in state game & beat highlands & had arguably the states best rusher only gets Elliott on 2nd team all state what about there great offensive line crew with studs like delaney & Teepen on it & there defense with Mace & zenvisky & Teepen & Hempel &mace seeing action since there sophomore year they had amazing seasons better than slot that are on these list....
Wow you must have done a lot of traveling to have seen all these kids play , to know that the highlands players were better than the rest.
STATE CHAMP Wrote:Beat Rowan like a drum? Go ask your former coach about that..Why would you get on here and blast other schools kids because your son did not make it...Thats where kids in todays society get the "cry baby" stuff...PARENTS! You are right Knox had an excellent football team this year but dont put other schools down...any way AP might give you guys some love.:lmao:
When does AP come out pleeeeease !
Football1 Wrote:I contemplated not responding to this as history has taught that owners of such posts are not typically capable of intelligent debate; but then again Christmas is only a couple of days in the rear view mirror, so let's take a shot at this.

In no way did I "cry" or complain that my son was not on this list. In no way did I disaparage any recipient of these awards. You are foolish for suggesting such an outright lie. What I did do was point out that Knox Central does not have a single player on the All state list at any level while teams that we beat and teams they beat have several. How you can miscontrue that as "crying" and teaching kids to whine is beyond me.

Clearly, you have no concern for what is right or what is fair. These individual awards should in some way line up with team success; afterall, this is a team sport. And when teams as good as Knox was get ZERO players on the list, it should be called out. Do awards matter? Yes - they do. In 1989, I was the Defensive Lineman of the year for Single A ball in the state of VA. It helped me earn a scholarship to play college football and get a degree. So, yeah - I think it should be done fairly and this year it clearly missed that metric.
I agree man , you never insulted anybody on here. But the fact of the matter is this does not have a whole lot to do with team accomplishments it has more to do with individual dominance. Case in point Bryan station won 1 or 2 games and darrian miller is third team, the kid has an offer from ALABAMA ! Last year he was 1st team when his team was better, but you cannot keep him off because his team did not win many games, the experts know how to judge players even if their team is not to good , darrian miller & jamon brown are 2 out of the 3 highest ranked lineman in the state with d-1 offers out the wazzu but neither one of them made 1st team, so team success has something to do with it but not everything!
Coachdad Wrote:I agree man , you never insulted anybody on here. But the fact of the matter is this does not have a whole lot to do with team accomplishments it has more to do with individual dominance. Case in point Bryan station won 1 or 2 games and darrian miller is third team, the kid has an offer from ALABAMA ! Last year he was 1st team when his team was better, but you cannot keep him off because his team did not win many games, the experts know how to judge players even if their team is not to good , darrian miller & jamon brown are 2 out of the 3 highest ranked lineman in the state with d-1 offers out the wazzu but neither one of them made 1st team, so team success has something to do with it but not everything!
You make excellent points here. I totally agree that an accomplished athlete should still be able to win individual honors even if his team falters. The examples you provide are perfect to illustrate this point.

Maybe our team was better than the individuals that composed it.
Football1 Wrote:I contemplated not responding to this as history has taught that owners of such posts are not typically capable of intelligent debate; but then again Christmas is only a couple of days in the rear view mirror, so let's take a shot at this.

Imagine the talent in KY and these teams are not divided into the different divisions!!! Yes, football is a team sport and I am sure that you have seen me express that many times on here, but when you are acknowledging individual efforts...I do think team success should be a factor...(Takes the individual talent working with a group to make the team...now doesn't it?) The MT teams were chosen as individual talents until they got to the offensive lines...The offensive lineman awards were given as teams.....Probably chosen by team successes...Naturally Bell County's was first team....(With all of the success that they had offensively this yr...) Which is fair? I do think that it is a shame that not one player from some teams were acknowledged though!! Naturally, there were players from Belfry that I feel were not represented that should have been and Central being the state Champs in AAA - they could have more representation...But where do you draw the line? Again, a big congratulations to Mr. Cameron Chase Tackett 2nd team All State Offensive Line (proud momma) and Mr. Josh Dixon honorable mention All State Defensive Back!!! (love ya too) TongueirateSho
DaBears Wrote:The Courier-Journal is a bunch of BS!!!!!!!!! Bottom line.

Don't blame the CJ, blame the coaches. They are the one's that were asked to send in the names of players from teams they faced this year. If you feel your team is under-represented then blame the coaches you faces for not voting or not thinking more highly of your particular players. :HitWall:
Football1 Wrote:Gilliam was one of the best DLineman I have ever seen. For him not to get on this list invalidates the effort. And J Canady is the top rated D1 recruit in his class and had a tremendous season - again not on the list. Looks like I'm not the only one seeing this...

Talk about narrow minded.

A player you think should be on the list is left off. Therefore the list is invalid? Give me a break. As I mentioned to DaBears, get mad at the coaches that didn't send ballots in who should know what you know.

Cool. What school if you don't mind me asking?
Hatz Wrote:Talk about narrow minded.

A player you think should be on the list is left off. Therefore the list is invalid? Give me a break. As I mentioned to DaBears, get mad at the coaches that didn't send ballots in who should know what you know.
That post was a bit narrowminded and I'm the first to admit that. Maybe it does not invalidate the effort but it clearly lowers the value. And I do get the fact that coaches vote for this which likely impacted our players. Despite our wins over the last 3 years (2 of 3 years have been "best ever" seasons for our school) coaches still have a hard time thinking of Knox Central when they think of great football players. That is changing and will continue to change as we keep winning.

I appreciate the correction.
Hatz Wrote:Cool. What school if you don't mind me asking?
It would reveal my indentify for many who know where I'm from to explain where I went to HS. And with some of the nuts on this board, I'd rather remain anon.
Coachdad Wrote:I agree man , you never insulted anybody on here. But the fact of the matter is this does not have a whole lot to do with team accomplishments it has more to do with individual dominance. Case in point Bryan station won 1 or 2 games and darrian miller is third team, the kid has an offer from ALABAMA ! Last year he was 1st team when his team was better, but you cannot keep him off because his team did not win many games, the experts know how to judge players even if their team is not to good , darrian miller & jamon brown are 2 out of the 3 highest ranked lineman in the state with d-1 offers out the wazzu but neither one of them made 1st team, so team success has something to do with it but not everything!

Last year Miller was Hon. Mention, and Brown was 3rd team. This was from the CJ, I don't know what team they were on in the AP last season.
Coachdad Wrote:When does AP come out pleeeeease !

Voting ends for AP at 6 today. So hopefully Tues. or Weds.
congats to Sawyer Williams hm from owen county
It takes 5 votes to get Hon. Mention. And then you are placed on 1st,2nd,3rd by the amount votes you get. So some of the kids mentioned that didn't make the list does'nt mean they didn't recieve votes. I also think that the Best of The Bluegrass All-Star game may have given more coaches access to players they might have not seen during the season. I saw alot of HS coaches at that game. I agree that there are some names on here that I thought I would see, but you can't take away from what the one's who made it has accomplished.
Congrats to all the young men on making the All-State team........well done.
highlands Wrote:Congrats to all the young men on making the All-State team........well done.

Thank you very much. And I like you would like to Congratulate all those who made the Courier Journal all state team.