Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin 48 Prestonsburg 14
Hounds led 28-7 at half and Jamerson caught a td with about 2:20 left to make the score final. Corbin's defense was as dominant as I have seen a defense be tonight. I would venture to say the Pburg QB was sacked 9 or 10 times and they weren't able to run the ball against the Redhound D.

Congrats to a great bunch from Prestonsburg. Those kids played hard and had a great season. The fans were classy as well.
Congrats Corbin, very impressive
Go Corbin. Beat NCCC
congrats corbin
congrats to Corbin
It's never easy to win @ Corbin so I thought Corbin would win but not by this margin, very impressive win by the Redhounds.
Congrats Corbin!
WOW CORBIN

I didnt expect this , but Congrats Redhounds
Congrats Corbin
Congrats Corbin
Didn't get to make the trip, but from what updates I got it sounded like Corbin really attacked our weaknesses. If Crisp has time to throw, then we are hard to stop on offense, but if he is pressured our offense is in trouble. That was the case @ Breahitt, vs. Matewan, and vs. Pike Central.

Corbin obviously has a very good team this season and I hope they can win 2A. Best of luck Redhounds!

Great season Blackcats, I'm going to miss this group of seniors. They were one of the more successful group of seniors to ever go through Prestonsburg, as I believe they won the district championship all four years and won two regional championships. That's something they can defiantly brag about after they graduate. Prestonsburg does return about 90% of the offense, so boys let's get better and go get it next season!
Congrats Corbin.
Congrads to both and hopefully corbin can put a hold on NCC. I watched like 4 minutes of the holy cross and NCC game online and there runningback Chris Kelly is a big hoss to bring down.
WOW!!!! Glad I didn't stay at home. The Redhounds dominated this game in all ways possible.
Congrats to the Redhounds on a completely dominating performance. Good luck next week !!

Too long a drive and too much emotion to talk about P-burg yet... :HitWall:
Notes after a looooooong drive home...

1) Corbin is very, very (did I say very) good. Prestonsburg is not as bad as we played tonight, but Corbin had something to do with that...:biggrin: Corbin was bigger, stronger, quicker, and more disciplined than the Blackcats tonight. No doubt, the best team won. Congrats to the Redhounds, and here's hoping you guys bring the title home to the mountains.

2) I said last week that if Prestonsburg had as many silly penalties as we did against Middlesboro, then the season would be over. Well..... yeah. It seemed like in the first half we started every drive by jumping offsides. I would love to know how many "first and fifteens" we had... Turnovers hurt, and Corbin capitalized on them like good teams should do.

3) #56 from Corbin is a beast. Enough said. He lived in our backfield all night, and it seemed like he stuffed every run attempt we tried.

4) Corbin's game plan was excellent. They brought pressure hard off the corners, and due to Prestonsburg's formation (empty backfield), Crisp must have gotten sacked about a dozen times. He went out with an injury early in the 4th and did not return. I sure would have liked to seen Prestonsburg keep Collins in the backfield as a blocking back in our shotgun formations. I bet #7 had 6 sacks or more, caused a couple of fumbles, and leaped over a few tall buildings prior to the game. He provided the main pressure off the corner, and was largely unblocked all night. I would have LOVED to have seen Prestonsburg put Griffith in the slot on his side, motion him towards the QB prior to the snap, and have Griffith crackback on him on one of his blitzes. One time may have been all that would have been necessary to slow his rushes.

5) Prestonsburg simply could not get anything going on offense. I don't think we gained a positive yard on a rushing attempt all night. Again, Corbin's defense was excellent, and their game plan worked to perfection. This is the 3rd year in a row these 2 teams have met for the Regional Championship, and the home team won every year. Even though we lost, I hate to see Corbin move to 3A next year, as this was a game any football fan should look forward to each year. Corbin's fans were great, the facilities are awesome (LOVE the grass field...), and I will miss the annual game.

6) Congrats to this group of Blackcat seniors. One of them is my oldest son, and it was hard to watch his HS career end like this, but tonight Corbin was the better team hands down. I have 2 other sons on the team who will return next year, but this year was special for our family. This year's Blackcat team probably exceeded expectations given all we lost from last year. We only returned 1 offensive skill player with any game experience, and our TE started at C last year. So the fact that we had such a successful season speaks well of the program.

7) Football teaches those who play wonderful life lessons: the value of hard work, character, competition, and how to play and act like a champion. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but class is something that should be a part of everything you do as a team. Tonight, there were 2 very good, classy teams giving it everything they had, and although I wish the result was different, it was a pleasure to watch.

Best wishes to all the senior Blackcats and Redhounds. Truly a great group of young men on both sidelines.
^Excellent post!
Massey didnt lie. They had Corbin winning by alot. lol
WOW!!:yikes: I wasn't expecting this outcome at all!!

Congrats Redhounds!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Prestonsburg 7 0 0 7 14

Corbin 7 21 13 7 48

Scoring summary:
Class 2A, Third Round
C--Matthew Taylor 1 run (Saxon Okuma kick); P--Nathan Slone 56 pass from Adam Crisp (Kaleb Petry kick); C--Brady Foley 1 run (Okuma kick); C--Taylor 1 run (Okuma kick); C--Taylor 32 pass from Foley (Okuma kick); C--Mitchell Frederick 16 run (Okuma kick); C--Foley 36 pass from Ty Cobb (kick failed); C--Roman Mitchell 15 pass from Cobb (Okuma kick; P--Joseph Jamerson 20 pass from Grant Anderson (Petry kick).
Records; Corbin 11-2, Prestonburg 10-3.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/17/13961...z15nyUPHCk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
cat86, blackcatalum I couldnt agree with you more. Nice post. Congrats to Corbin you where the better team tonight. Good luck the rest of the way. Blackcat Seniors, love you guys thanks for the memories.
cat86 Wrote:Notes after a looooooong drive home...

1) Corbin is very, very (did I say very) good. Prestonsburg is not as bad as we played tonight, but Corbin had something to do with that...:biggrin: Corbin was bigger, stronger, quicker, and more disciplined than the Blackcats tonight. No doubt, the best team won. Congrats to the Redhounds, and here's hoping you guys bring the title home to the mountains.

2) I said last week that if Prestonsburg had as many silly penalties as we did against Middlesboro, then the season would be over. Well..... yeah. It seemed like in the first half we started every drive by jumping offsides. I would love to know how many "first and fifteens" we had... Turnovers hurt, and Corbin capitalized on them like good teams should do.

3) #56 from Corbin is a beast. Enough said. He lived in our backfield all night, and it seemed like he stuffed every run attempt we tried.

4) Corbin's game plan was excellent. They brought pressure hard off the corners, and due to Prestonsburg's formation (empty backfield), Crisp must have gotten sacked about a dozen times. He went out with an injury early in the 4th and did not return. I sure would have liked to seen Prestonsburg keep Collins in the backfield as a blocking back in our shotgun formations. I bet #7 had 6 sacks or more, caused a couple of fumbles, and leaped over a few tall buildings prior to the game. He provided the main pressure off the corner, and was largely unblocked all night. I would have LOVED to have seen Prestonsburg put Griffith in the slot on his side, motion him towards the QB prior to the snap, and have Griffith crackback on him on one of his blitzes. One time may have been all that would have been necessary to slow his rushes.

5) Prestonsburg simply could not get anything going on offense. I don't think we gained a positive yard on a rushing attempt all night. Again, Corbin's defense was excellent, and their game plan worked to perfection. This is the 3rd year in a row these 2 teams have met for the Regional Championship, and the home team won every year. Even though we lost, I hate to see Corbin move to 3A next year, as this was a game any football fan should look forward to each year. Corbin's fans were great, the facilities are awesome (LOVE the grass field...), and I will miss the annual game.

6) Congrats to this group of Blackcat seniors. One of them is my oldest son, and it was hard to watch his HS career end like this, but tonight Corbin was the better team hands down. I have 2 other sons on the team who will return next year, but this year was special for our family. This year's Blackcat team probably exceeded expectations given all we lost from last year. We only returned 1 offensive skill player with any game experience, and our TE started at C last year. So the fact that we had such a successful season speaks well of the program.

7) Football teaches those who play wonderful life lessons: the value of hard work, character, competition, and how to play and act like a champion. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but class is something that should be a part of everything you do as a team. Tonight, there were 2 very good, classy teams giving it everything they had, and although I wish the result was different, it was a pleasure to watch.

Best wishes to all the senior Blackcats and Redhounds. Truly a great group of young men on both sidelines.

BlackcatAlum Wrote:^Excellent post!

I would also add: Great Post!

I was rooting for Prestonsburg last night; it appears from what I've been reading they were simply out manned by a super Corbin team.

But unfortunately someone has got to come out on the losing end. As was mentioned, football teaches young men some valuable lessons, lessons that they can use long after their high school football are long past.
I thought this one would be closer. Congrats Corbin and good luck next week.
Didn't expect this score..But Congrats to both teams. P-burg on a great season and Corbin for moving on!

Agree with all that's said here. The Black Cats are a great football team. Corbin's D was spectacular and picked the right time for it to click. I know it's sad to see the season end but those kids from Prestonsburg have nothing to hang their head over. It was more of Corbin playing a great game than Pburg playing bad. Best of luck to you guys in the future. Hated a team had to lose but as a Corbin fan, I'm tickled with the outcome.

This game had more false starts than any game I can remember. It seemed both teams were constantly moving. During that first quarter Corbin drive, I believe Corbin was trying to use the hard count and had 2 false starts and the bad snap. Hound will have to clean it up.

Cody Harp is #56. He is just a sophomore and the kid loves to hit and has a motor that doesn't quit. He is really good right now but when he is a senior, Look Out! Most importantly, he is a great kid. Never back talks, very polite, and everything you could wish for in a young student athlete.

#7 is Matthew Jewell (The Coaches son). He has really been a player this season. Corbin really looks like they did their work and was selling out to stop the short stuff and sell out on the jet sweeps and misdirections. I said earlier that the team speed on D and crazy looks they give after coming out in what looks like a simple D set could be a big difference maker. I was really impressed with the play of the DB's. They gave up the one big play early but for the most part held two great players in check all night. Hats off to #2 Mitchell Frederick. The junior should be one of the better DB's in EKY next year.

I too will miss this annual game. I appreciate the sentiments about our fans and facilities. I would also like to say that the Prestonsburg fans were a pleasure to be around. I sit in the away stands to avoid the distractions of the "meet and greets" and must say that you guys have tremendous support. Classy people all the way around. You guys have a team to be proud of and the team has some excellent fans to be proud of. Keep up the good work!

I wasn't aware of all of the losses but I can say that you guys had a helluva team. It's always sad to see seniors play their last game. Best of luck to your two sons in the future.

Agreed!

Agreed again!

Thank you for the kind comments and well wishes. You guys are a class act. You have the foundation to do great things in the next few years. I just wish we could have had a similar game plan last year when we were at your house. Smile But, it was not to be. Where is Michael Burchette and Austin McKinney playing this year? How are they doing? Good luck with everything in the off season as you prepare for next year.
HAROLD put his finger on Corbin's defensive gameplan - "Corbin...was selling out to stop the short stuff and sell out on the jet sweeps and misdirections."

Just as BIGREDDOG wonders what might've been if Corbin had used this game plan last year, I'll wonder why P-burg never went back to the streak pattern from a single wideout, max protection set. The ONE time it was run, it went to the house.

The one definitive advantage P-burg had was the speed of its WRs over the Corbin DBs. If the coaching staff can't adjust to use that, well, the end result was self-evident.
The only speed difference I saw last night was #3 and #7 around the corners. And we exploited it.
I drove down for this one and was really expecting a closer game, but congrats to the Hounds . . . they looked very good on both sides of the ball.

Would LOVE to see them beat NewCath, so might have to travel back to Corbin this week, too. Great atmosphere, great concession stand, good people.
I seen a nice throw Anderson hooked up to Jamerson. That shows how much a bright future the Anderson kid has. I know the Crisp kid is a Junior but the Anderson kid will be right behind him for the quarterback job.