Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bible Prophecy: "The War of Gog and Magog"
I thought of making this thread because of the peace talks occurring in the Middle East. This is a "religious" thread, so I hope I don't offend anyone when posting this. This thread is about "The War of Gog and Magog", or the prediction from the bible that there will be a future invasion on Israel. I really think this might soon come true, so I wanted to post this so all of you can watch what's happening in the Middle East. It just might become fulfilled in the near future! Smile

Here's a link to Ezekiel 38 - 39 -> http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=KJV
Please read these two chapters from the bible and make sure I don't mess anything up. The bible is something that you want to make sure you repeat with 100% accuracy.

By the way, here are some links about "The War of Gog and Magog":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Ezekiel_38-39
Grant Jeffrey writing about the War of Gog and Magog

-------
I'll try to explain this by memory. I'm not sure how accurate it'll be, though. This is what I've been told and what I can remember:

People will say that Israel is at a time of peace (Grant Jeffrey mentioned that Israel will sign a peace treaty). Yet, during this time, Israel won't actually have "true" peace. People will just be saying there is peace in the Middle East.

After a while of Israel having "peace", a list of nations (including Russia and Iran) will attack Israel. This invading army against Israel will be so strong, it's clear that Israel won't stand a chance. However, God will supernaturally kill 5/6 of the army, leaving only 1/6 of the army alive. In other words, God will supernaturally protect Israel from the attack that would surely have destroyed Israel.

Israel will then spend seven years burning the equipment from the dead and will take seven months to bury the dead. Here's a quote from the bible about this:
Quote:Ezekiel 39
9) And they that dwell in the cities of Israel shall go forth, and shall set on fire and burn the weapons, both the shields and the bucklers, the bows and the arrows, and the handstaves, and the spears, and they shall burn them with fire seven years:

10) So that they shall take no wood out of the field, neither cut down any out of the forests; for they shall burn the weapons with fire: and they shall spoil those that spoiled them, and rob those that robbed them, saith the Lord GOD.

11) And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will give unto Gog a place there of graves in Israel, the valley of the passengers on the east of the sea: and it shall stop the noses of the passengers: and there shall they bury Gog and all his multitude: and they shall call it The valley of Hamongog.

12) And seven months shall the house of Israel be burying of them, that they may cleanse the land.

13) Yea, all the people of the land shall bury them; and it shall be to them a renown the day that I shall be glorified, saith the Lord GOD.

14) And they shall sever out men of continual employment, passing through the land to bury with the passengers those that remain upon the face of the earth, to cleanse it: after the end of seven months shall they search.

15) And the passengers that pass through the land, when any seeth a man's bone, then shall he set up a sign by it, till the buriers have buried it in the valley of Hamongog.

16) And also the name of the city shall be Hamonah. Thus shall they cleanse the land.

17) And, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD; Speak unto every feathered fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assemble yourselves, and come; gather yourselves on every side to my sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, even a great sacrifice upon the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood.

18) Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all of them fatlings of Bashan.

19) And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you.

20) Thus ye shall be filled at my table with horses and chariots, with mighty men, and with all men of war, saith the Lord GOD.

The reason why I'm mentioning this bible prophecy is because it's believed that this is one of the bible prophecies that will happen near the "end times". Here's a quote from the bible involving "The War of Gog and Magog":

Quote:Ezekiel 38
8) After many days thou shalt be visited: in the latter years thou shalt come into the land that is brought back from the sword, and is gathered out of many people, against the mountains of Israel, which have been always waste: but it is brought forth out of the nations, and they shall dwell safely all of them.
Arab-Israeli conflict since Isreal's founding in 1948. Nothing new.
  • 1948 Arab-Israeli War
  • 1951-1955 Retribution operations
  • 1956 Suez War
  • 1964–1967 War over Water
  • 1967 Six Day War
  • 1967-1970 War of Attrition
  • 1972-1979 Wrath of God
  • 1973 Yom Kippur War
  • 1978 South Lebanon conflict
  • 1982 Lebanon War
  • 1982-2000 South Lebanon conflict
  • 1987-1993 First Intifada
  • 2000–2006 Shebaa Farms conflict
  • 2000–2005 Second Intifada
  • 2006 Lebanon War
  • 2008-2009 Gaza War
You're right in that this isn't really anything new to Israel.

To my understanding, this war is unique because it will have an invading army that will undoubtedly destroy Israel. However, God supernaturally protects Israel.

It's also unique because it's one of the bible prophecies that point to the rapture and, eventually, the second coming of Christ.
DeathStar, Do you believe in the Tribulation Period? The Years the Antichrist will run the earth ?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:DeathStar, Do you believe in the Tribulation Period? The Years the Antichrist will run the earth ?

Yep! Smile

I thought of mentioning this bible prophecy because they're trying to have another peace deal. Also, Iran is known in the past few years to want to destroy Israel. Both of these facts go along with this bible prophecy.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Yep! Smile

I thought of mentioning this bible prophecy because they're trying to have another peace deal. Also, Iran is known in the past few years to want to destroy Israel. Both of these facts go along with this bible prophecy.

Have you read the Left Behind Books?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Have you read the Left Behind Books?

No, but I have watched the movies.

By the way, I kind-of regret not posting the fact that this bible prophecy doesn't have to be fulfilled during our lifetime. It looks like it might, but the bible doesn't guarantee when it will be fulfilled.
^ The Movies do no justice to the story. Read the books. They are easy and entertaining reads, but they do an incredible job of taking the entire book of revelations and breaking it down into layman's terms.
Stardust Wrote:^ The Movies do no justice to the story. Read the books. They are easy and entertaining reads, but they do an incredible job of taking the entire book of revelations and breaking it down into layman's terms.

The kid series are interesting reads as well.
Stardust Wrote:^ The Movies do no justice to the story. Read the books. They are easy and entertaining reads, but they do an incredible job of taking the entire book of revelations and breaking it down into layman's terms.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:The kid series are interesting reads as well.

:thanks: I'll try to read the books, but it'll probably take me awhile.
The problem I have with the left behind series is how they make it lol like its goin to be a fairly easy ordeal to go to church and be a believer. But when the "anti-Christ" sets up and you have to take the mark of the beast just to eat then what?
When u get into bible prophecy it can get confusing and hard to interpret. But it is very interesting and I believe that we are nearing the end
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
"It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine."

" It's deja vu all over again" wasn't the end coming 10 years ago?or was is that 2 years from now?
nky Wrote:"It's the end of the world as we know it.

" It's deja vu all over again" wasn't the end coming 10 years ago?or was is that 2 years from now?

I have heard it my entire life as well. One thing that is important to remember though is that we are to always be ready. If we get our hearts right with God then we wont have to worry about it. Big Grin
LWC Wrote:I have heard it my entire life as well. One thing that is important to remember though is that we are to always be ready. If we get our hearts right with God then we wont have to worry about it. Big Grin
Christians have been saying the end of time has been coming for 2000 years, even Paul thought it would happen in his lifetime, it isn't going to happen because there really is no God. Just learn to live a good life, without some fear of of some "boogy man" god sending you to ****. If you live a good life, by yourself, you can die in peace, knowing you didn't "screw" anybody, and have to ask for forgiveness. This Earth is proven to be 4.5 billion years old, get your head out of the sand.
Live a good life, without "screwing" man or animal, and be content with going to live in the dirt. I don't bother no man, and am kind to all living things, and don't abuse anything, I have no regrets, and nothing to have to have a "god" save me from. When I die, I will die without shame.
TheRealVille Wrote:Christians have been saying the end of time has been coming for 2000 years, even Paul thought it would happen in his lifetime, it isn't going to happen because there really is no God. Just learn to live a good life, without some fear of of some "boogy man" god sending you to ****. If you live a good life, by yourself, you can die in peace, knowing you didn't "screw" anybody, and have to ask for forgiveness. This Earth is proven to be 4.5 billion years old, get your head out of the sand.

Who proved it?
How old do you think that the Earth is, Bob?
I dont know, how old do you think it is?
Can I play also?

I don't know, What Do you think?

by the way I think it's Billions (really big number with lots of zeros) and the universe in the Billions and billions range(in my best Carl Sagan voice). With life on this planet in the millions, with intelligent life around for tens of thousand of years( if this elections cycle keeps up I'm starting to wonder about the intelligent part).
nky Wrote:Can I play also?
I don't know, What Do you think?

by the way I think it's Billions (really big number with lots of zeros) and the universe in the Billions and billions range(in my best Carl Sagan voice). With life on this planet in the millions, with intelligent life around for tens of thousand of years( if this elections cycle keeps up I'm starting to wonder about the intelligent part).

Sure, welcome to the sandbox(seems to be where it's going). Just remember to BYOB(bring your own bucket).
Bob Seger Wrote:I dont know, how old do you think it is?
It's within a few percent of what RV said. Nobody can nail it down any more precisely. Generally, when somebody demands proof of a claim, they have reason to believe that what has been claimed is incorrect.

4.5 to 4.6 billion years is the generally accepted age of the earth and scientists have used more than one method to reach that same conclusion. Of course, Creationists have a different opinion and choose to ignore the physical evidence that God has left us to study.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It's within a few percent of what RV said. Nobody can nail it down any more precisely. Generally, when somebody demands proof of a claim, they have reason to believe that what has been claimed is incorrect.

4.5 to 4.6 billion years is the generally accepted age of the earth and scientists have used more than one method to reach that same conclusion. Of course, Creationists have a different opinion and choose to ignore the physical evidence that God has left us to study.

Wasn't trying to dispute it because I have no idea. It was the word "proved" that caught my attention. I dont always have the utmost confidence in everything that "human" scientists state as fact. I can see, "scientists are of the opinion that" or something along that line, but how many times do you see something come up that starts out, "what scientists have long thought was........"? Man is not perfect. I'm just not sold that "proved" is the best choice of wording. That's just my opinion, as I have no proof of anything either way. All I know is, the very first words of the Bible start with "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". I dont see anything that pinpoints a definitive date that this occured. So it could be 4.5 billion years, but it is just my opinion that I doubt that anyone else really concretely knows. Again,this is all just my personal opinion. Obviously not everyone shares the same, and that is certainly their prerogative.

I am assuming that RV is stating the perceived age of the earth as a disclaimer that God truely exists. Not sure how that plays into it though. The one question I do ask is that if God has never existed, where did the earth, and all things come from? Who gave the breath of life? It came from somewhere. That seems to be the thing that there is never an answer for.
Bob Seger Wrote:Wasn't trying to dispute it because I have no idea. It was the word "proved" that caught my attention. I dont always have the utmost confidence in everything that "human" scientists state as fact. I can see, "scientists are of the opinion that" or something along that line, but how many times do you see something come up that starts out, "what scientists have long thought was........"? Man is not perfect. I'm just not sold that "proved" is the best choice of wording. That's just my opinion, as I have no proof of anything either way. All I know is, the very first words of the Bible start with "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". I dont see anything that pinpoints a definitive date that this occured. So it could be 4.5 billion years, but it is just my opinion that I doubt that anyone else really concretely knows. Again,this is all just my personal opinion. Obviously not everyone shares the same, and that is certainly their prerogative.

I am assuming that RV is stating the perceived age of the earth as a disclaimer that God truely exists. Not sure how that plays into it though. The one question I do ask is that if God has never existed, where did the earth, and all things come from? Who gave the breath of life? It came from somewhere. That seems to be the thing that there is never an answer for.
:Thumbs:I agree with most of what you said. I think the estimate of the earth's age is probably one of the better theories out there because scientists have reached roughly the same conclusion using entirely different methods. Atheists like to attempt to use science to validate their beliefs but most of those who take that tack have a poor understanding of science themselves.

There are many geniuses in this world who are scientists and who also hold deep religious beliefs. There is no contradiction "there." It never ceases to amaze me how non-genius, non-scientist atheists can be so sure that God does not exist and have the gall to cite science as their proof. I understand the doubts of an agnostic but I will always be baffled by the arrogance of atheists.

An atheist whose intellect I greatly respect, writer Christopher Hitchens, is dying with terminal cancer. Nobody can convince me that he does not ask himself every day, "What if I am wrong?" At least in Hitchens' case, he has shown some appreciation for the prayers and well wishes of fellow humans who are Christians.
nky Wrote:"It's the end of the world as we know it.

Jesus said you'd say that Big Grin
Bob Seger Wrote:Wasn't trying to dispute it because I have no idea. It was the word "proved" that caught my attention. I dont always have the utmost confidence in everything that "human" scientists state as fact. I can see, "scientists are of the opinion that" or something along that line, but how many times do you see something come up that starts out, "what scientists have long thought was........"? Man is not perfect. I'm just not sold that "proved" is the best choice of wording. That's just my opinion, as I have no proof of anything either way. All I know is, the very first words of the Bible start with "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". I dont see anything that pinpoints a definitive date that this occured. So it could be 4.5 billion years, but it is just my opinion that I doubt that anyone else really concretely knows. Again,this is all just my personal opinion. Obviously not everyone shares the same, and that is certainly their prerogative.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg basically, savvy. Big Grin
I don't how old the Earth is and am not going to speculate on it. Scientist say 4billion+ and creationist think I believe 6k+. But however old it is, I believe God made everything and created our planet in 6 days. Six days to God, could be millions of years or it might not be, who knows. I love God, try to do the right thing, and treat everybody as if they were my own brother or sister. The age of the universe don't matter to me and won't change my beliefs.
Aslan Wrote:Jesus said you'd say that Big Grin

I don't how old the Earth is and am not going to speculate on it. Scientist say 4billion+ and creationist think I believe 6k+. But however old it is, I believe God made everything and created our planet in 6 days. Six days to God, could be millions of years or it might not be, who knows. I love God, try to do the right thing, and treat everybody as if they were my own brother or sister. The age of the universe don't matter to me and won't change my beliefs.

:Thumbs:Great Post!!! I feel the same way!
Only if your a predestination kind of person. I'm more of a free will/choice kind of guy:eyeroll:

I'm not sure that words for million or billion existed at the time the Bible was composed. Had our ancestors been told that God created the world in 4.5 billion years, it would have been even more impossible to comprehend such a large number then than it is today.

Almost everybody has ten fingers, so using single digit explanations makes a lot of sense when communicating to a mostly illiterate population. :biggrin:
LOL, seriously, for centuries, people always think its the end times. That is nothing new.
I wanted to post this because someone who has been following bible prophecy for a long time has pointed this out to me.

Ezekiel 38:8 Wrote:8) After many days you will be visited. In the latter years you will come into the land of those brought back from the sword and gathered from many people on the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate; they were brought out of the nations, and now all of them dwell safely.

Before I say anything, I encourage EVERYONE to read the full chapter of Ezekiel 38 and even Ezekiel 36 and 37 to completely understand what is being talked about. Here's the link to Ezekiel 38: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...rsion=NKJV

To my understanding of Ezekiel 38:8, it's talking about the remaking of Israel. It says "and gathered from many people on the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate;" I know that Palestine (before Israel became a nation) was a place where very few people lived and there was very little vegetation. In other words, Palestine was barren. It goes on to say, "they were brought out of the nations, and now all of them dwell safely." I also know that the Jews were brought out of many nations and gathered in today's Israel.

Although, I have to say that I'm not sure what it could be referring to when it says, "the land of those brought back from the sword" But I do know that there have been many battles and wars that have took place in the Israel-area.

If Ezekiel 38:8 is talking about the remade Israel (which I personally think it is, because that's what the chapter refers to throughout Ezekiel 38), then notice what it says at the beginning. "In the latter years" I take all of this to mean that when the nation of Israel is remade, we will officially be in the latter years... But Israel was remade in 1948, about 62 years ago... If what I say is true, that means we've been in the "latter years" for 62 years! And that's why I'm constantly trying to encourage all of you that NOW is the time to become saved! Please examine yourself with the ten commandments:

1. You shall have no other gods before me
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol
3. You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God (using God's name as a word to express filth)
4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
5. Honor your father and mother
6. You shall not murder (includes hating someone, Matthew 5:21-22)
7. You shall not commit adultery (looking on someone with lust, Matthew 5:27-28)
8. You shall not steal
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
10. You shall not covet.

If any of us broke one of those commandments, then we WILL go to **** unless we become saved! Jesus died to take our sins, but we have to accept his sacrifice. And then we have to repent and fully follow what god wants. And if the rapture does happen this generation, then those who aren't saved will be left behind and will have to go through a horrible time called the tribulation period. Please become saved soon!!

Although after saying all this about the rapture, I do want to point out that I could be wrong. God has shown great longsuffering by waiting for a little less than 2,000 years since he sent his son Jesus to die for us. Therefore, he could be willing to wait even longer (very possibly after our lives) before the rapture happens. So we should plan our future as if Jesus isn't coming in our lifetime (example: don't sell your house and give the money to the poor or anything like that), but keep in mind that the possibility is definitely there!
Matthew 24:36-44 (New International Version, ©2010)

The Day and Hour Unknown
36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.
42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.