Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Discussion
I know, there is a lot football left to be played. I love football too, but I love basketball in the 14th region as well. Lets get some preseason talk bout it.
If you didnt know, the 14th region got some new faces. Some will be have their first chance at being a head coach, I wish all these men the best of luck.

Jon Bentley-Estill
Denny Fugate-Cordia
Eric Ratliff-Jenkins
B.B. King- Knott Central.
J.D. Cornett- June Buchanan
It will be interesting to see how Knott copes without Davis for the first few months of the season.
Aslan Wrote:It will be interesting to see how Knott copes without Davis for the first few months of the season.

KC will be than likely struggle at first with new coach and without their best player, one thing about the 53rd district this is a seeded district, even without Davis I dont see them losing to Cordia,Jenkins, or JBS but if some upset did happen, this injury could hurt the Pats come March. Anyone know how long Davis is supposed to be out?
Top 10 in out in UK yearbook for 14th region. You all can't see beyond your own backyard. Oh well it doesn't matter where the talent comes from it's just there. Good wishful thinking though big three. I guess you all thought you would have it all.
I could see Letcher beating them without Davis.
The 14th region will be a under classman region this season. The 14th Region lost alot of great high school players: J. Whitaker (hazard), T. Cox (knott), S.Stamper (knott), J. Amis (perry), etc: 2010/2011 Senior Class will have big shoes to fill. This this region has a lot of good young ball players. Wolfe, Hazard, Perry, Breathitt, Estill, Powell, and Knott all have very good Soph, and Jr classes.

Take a look at the 14th Regional Finals Since 2004:
2004- Perry vs Breathitt
2005- Perry vs Leslie
2006- Hazard vs Jackson City
2007- JBS vs Hazard
2008- Hazard vs Perry
2009- Hazard vs Perry
2010- Knott vs Perry

Looks to me that this region goes throught Perry County (Perry Central, and Hazard). And I don't see it being any different in 2010/2011.
Perry or Hazard has it in the bag this year..
Buckhorn a close 3rd.
top 10 players 14th region
1. Matt Day-Buckhorn
2. Zack Davis-Knott Central
3. Dillion Cornett-Perry Central
4. Jordan Olinger-Hazard
5. Hobert Asher-Leslie County
6. Mikey Slone- Knott Central
7. Bj Combs-Hazard
8. Carlisle Creech- Powell County
9. Koree Stewart- Letcher Central
10. Dontarius Pittman-Lee County

Great Job to All who made it look forward to watching you all this year
Top Ten Teams In the 14th Ranked

1. Hazard
2. Perry Central
3. Knott Central
4. Letcher Central
5. Wolfe County
6. Leslie County
7. Buckhorn
8. Breathitt
9. Powell County
10. Estill County

Looks like Powell will be favored to win the 56th district.
ekff Wrote:The 14th region will be a under classman region this season. The 14th Region lost alot of great high school players: J. Whitaker (hazard), T. Cox (knott), S.Stamper (knott), J. Amis (perry), etc: 2010/2011 Senior Class will have big shoes to fill. This this region has a lot of good young ball players. Wolfe, Hazard, Perry, Breathitt, Estill, Powell, and Knott all have very good Soph, and Jr classes.

2004- Perry vs Breathitt
2005- Perry vs Leslie
2007- JBS vs Hazard
2008- Hazard vs Perry
2009- Hazard vs Perry
2010- Knott vs Perry

Looks to me that this region goes throught Perry County (Perry Central, and Hazard). And I don't see it being any different in 2010/2011.

Yep.
It's been a while since a Perry County team hasn't been in the finals.
06' and 07' was a dry year for the Dore's.. Who all did they have on their team then LOL..

My guess is Justin Stacy, Joe Begley, Jason Kelly, Tyler Bailey? Am I missing any other big names? Devin Gross???
Now that I think about it, Joe Begley wasn't that big of a name..
^Robert Amis, Demetri Travis, George Campbell, Heath Brashear.
They had good years, just come up short in district. Had a ten point lead on Hazard going into the 4th quarter in 06, but Hazard made a get comeback in the 4th. In 07 they were embarrassed by Buckhorn, Big Al's final game as coach of the Dores.
^ Still play with a lot of those guys in leagues... Stacy is still in good shape.. Heath has aged some and packed on a few pounds.. Gross has aged packed on a few pounds can still shoot very well.. Shoot I'd say all of them have packed on a few pounds.. Those were the days though..

Most epic team I remeber PCC having was Chaney, Combs, Shepherd, Kelly, Robert Paul Amis, George Campbell, I'm sure I am missing some..

The Willis, Harris team was awesome too.
BTTT, thoughts on Dillon Cornett? He should have his way in a lot, if not all games.
ekff Wrote:The 14th region will be a under classman region this season. The 14th Region lost alot of great high school players: J. Whitaker (hazard), T. Cox (knott), S.Stamper (knott), J. Amis (perry), etc: 2010/2011 Senior Class will have big shoes to fill. This this region has a lot of good young ball players. Wolfe, Hazard, Perry, Breathitt, Estill, Powell, and Knott all have very good Soph, and Jr classes.

2004- Perry vs Breathitt
2005- Perry vs Leslie
2007- JBS vs Hazard
2008- Hazard vs Perry
2009- Hazard vs Perry
2010- Knott vs Perry

Actually you left out one. In 2003, Perry Central lost to Powell County in the region finals. The last time a Perry County team wasn't in the championship is 2002 when Whitesburg beat Breathitt County in the championship at Perry Central. Whitesburg had upset Perry in the semifinals the night before.
Not saying they will win it all, but Letcher Central isdefinitely being overlooked this year as they return basically their whole team and gave both Knott County and Perry Central fits last year.
Ballers Wrote:^ Still play with a lot of those guys in leagues... Stacy is still in good shape.. Heath has aged some and packed on a few pounds.. Gross has aged packed on a few pounds can still shoot very well.. Shoot I'd say all of them have packed on a few pounds.. Those were the days though..

Most epic team I remeber PCC having was Chaney, Combs, Shepherd, Kelly, Robert Paul Amis, George Campbell, I'm sure I am missing some..

The Willis, Harris team was awesome too.
I think the Willis, Fugate, Harris team was the best in the 2000s. Combs and Shepard were freshman. Travis Neace could get up!
Ballers Wrote:BTTT, thoughts on Dillon Cornett? He should have his way in a lot, if not all games.
No one will be able to stop him. Every time he touches the ball he's going to see double and triple teams.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Actually you left out one. In 2003, Perry Central lost to Powell County in the region finals. The last time a Perry County team wasn't in the championship is 2002 when Whitesburg beat Breathitt County in the championship at Perry Central. Whitesburg had upset Perry in the semifinals the night before.
I remember that game. Great atmosphere. Perry won 26 straight games. They lost the first game of there season to Marquis Estill's team, and the last to Whitesburg. Perry gave Whitesburg a good beating in the regular season. I believe most the people there where shocked after Perry got upset. I was.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Not saying they will win it all, but Letcher Central isdefinitely being overlooked this year as they return basically their whole team and gave both Knott County and Perry Central fits last year.

That's true. Without Davis, I think Letcher has a good chance to win the 53rd.
I cant wait to see what Denny does for the Lions.
14th Region has ran through Perry Co but has anyone ever been more of a choke artist than PCC making in 3 years in a row and never winning it. J/k PC fans Big Grin.... My preseason pick to win the 14th this year is PCC even with all the talent they lost. Im just seeing all that big size being the factor to bring Hatcher the gold.
MVP2 Wrote:I cant wait to see what Denny does for the Lions.

Ditto.
Preseason Picks in each district.

53rd
1.Knott Central
2.Letcher Central
3.Cordia
4.JBS
5.Jenkins

54th
1.Perry Central
2.Hazard
3.Leslie
4.Buckhorn

55th
1.Wolfe
2.Breathitt
3.Jackson City
4.Riverside

56th
1.Lee
2.Estill
3.Powell
4.Owsley
As much as I hate to say it, I think Hazard is a little better than Perry this year. Losing five seniors that played as much as they did will be hard to replace. Those are big shoes to fill but Perry does have good talent in waiting. Cornett and Brewer are ready, I hope the younger players are ready to step up as well.
Riverside???????? I wouldn't put them in a top 100..
Have they EVER had a winning season!?
MVP2 Wrote:Preseason Picks in each district.

53rd
1.Knott Central
2.Letcher Central
3.Cordia
4.JBS
5.Jenkins

54th
1.Perry Central
2.Hazard
3.Leslie
4.Buckhorn

55th
1.Wolfe
2.Breathitt
3.Jackson City
4.Riverside

56th
1.Lee
2.Estill
3.Powell
4.Owsley

Wow you all just don't care about the rankings unless of course it's good for you.
56th rankings per UK yearbook
1.Powell
2.Estill
3.Lee
4.Owsley
Maybe you all can't read I don't know.
keepinitreal Wrote:Wow you all just don't care about the rankings unless of course it's good for you.
56th rankings per UK yearbook
1.Powell
2.Estill
3.Lee
4.Owsley
Maybe you all can't read I don't know.

I'm pretty sure we can form our own opinions. We don't have to have a magazine or someone to else to do that for us.
Top Teams:
1. Hazard-more speed and all around talent
2. Perry-much size will be hard to deal with if they find a pt guard who can handle the ball without making turnovers
3. Letcher-didn't lose much and Hammonds will show he is a great coach
4. Knott-without Davis they are a distant 4th. Don't think he will be back unless it is just before tournament, will be tough to be ready by then

Districts:
53rd- Letcher, Knott, Cordia, Jenkins.....(JBS is not having a varsity program)
54th- Hazard/Perry, Buckhorn, Leslie
55th- Wolfe, Breathitt, J.C., riverside if they have a team
56th- Estill wins in Bentley's first year, Powell very close 2nd, Lee/Owsley doesn't matter

Can't wait until it gets started!
Aslan Wrote:^Robert Amis, Demetri Travis, George Campbell, Heath Brashear.
They had good years, just come up short in district. Had a ten point lead on Hazard going into the 4th quarter in 06, but Hazard made a get comeback in the 4th. In 07 they were embarrassed by Buckhorn, Big Al's final game as coach of the Dores.

What about the year with Little Al, Brandon Campbell, Derrick Bowling, the Lamb guy, and Chris Chaney. I believe PCC went to the final 8 that year before losing to the eventual state champs warren central.
Aslan Wrote:I'm pretty sure we can form our own opinions. We don't have to have a magazine or someone to else to do that for us.

:notworthy Thank You.
Letcher Central will be better than what you guys think. Looks like this will be a fun year in cougarama.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]