Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
Ok, here is the disclaimer about this thread. I KNOW THAT THE APPLE BOWL HAS BEEN CANCELLED SINCE 2009. So before I start getting a bunch of PM's, I just wanted to express my feelings about this.

I am a lifelong resident of Johnson County (so are both sides of my family), and graduated from Johnson Central as did all of my uncles, aunt's, parents, cousins and siblings. And this week (Friday/Saturday is when the city of Paintsville shuts down) is the annual Apple Festival. And for as long as I can remember, (expect for last season and this season) the Thursday night of Apple Day, we (me and my family) got dressed up in our black and gold and headed to either Memorial Field or Eagle Field and had to park either in the Plaza or sometimes past Dairy Queen. No matter the weather, location, records of either team, it was the "Super Bowl" of Johnson County. I remember being a little kid walking around town seeing the "high schoolers" wearing their teams jerseys and seeing the winning team ride in the parade showing off the apple barrel. But now, the whole football season and Apple Fesitval just doesn't seem the same.

Before coach Matney arrived at JC, beating Paintsville made the season. JC could go 1-9, but beat Paintsville and it was a successful season. Now I can't speak for Paintsville, and I'm not gonna try to. But as soon as winter work-outs began, that was the question everybody asked "can we beat Paintsville this year?"

Maybe (hopefully not to far off) JC and Paintsville can meet on the gridiron soon.
100% agree. Was always my favorite game of the season. Even when we could never win it, there was always the passion. Playing a bunch of strangers, especially from across the state (or other states), will never match lining it up against your neighbors and knowing one of these two teams are going to be wearing their jerseys on Apple Day and one won't. I used to start getting excited for this game the weekend before.

I miss it. Its absence leaves a giant hole in the football season.

To me, games like this, games that matter against the teams you love to hate, mean as much or more than playoff games or even state championships. These are the games that make the memories in high school sports. Just my humble opinion.
First of all let me make it clear that I am not simply an Eagle fan like the vast majority of people. I am a strong fan of of football and in particular "The JCHS Football Program". I want them to win every game and bring a state championship to Eastern Kentucky and Johnson Co. As to the issue of "The Bowl". We all have opinions and are certainly are entitled to them. Now here goes mine.First of all if the stats were going say 51/49 or greater(as it surly would at some point)in the favor of JCHS, I believe base support for "The Bowl" would begin to dwindle among the old time Central fan base. Next to suggest that a 60+ win every year over P-ville an A school barely able to win a game in the weakest district in the state, is comparable
to state titles leaves me scratching my head. In fact this may have been the biggest roadblock in Matney's hunt for the title. In this respect the "Ville" may be winning without the pads. Hey folks let it go it ain't that big a deal. Use that energy against the BBH club. You will "GETER-DONE".
Why is the game no longer played? Is it because the games became so one sided?
Westside Wrote:Why is the game no longer played? Is it because the games became so one sided?

Sure...

As Mr. Hustle stated above, Central has -finally- come into its own. The facilities, resources, and financial backing are far and away greater than any other school in a multi-county area. A competent and driven coaching staff has been the missing ingredient. With that corrected, the school is now a 5A perennial "top 10" football school.

While Paintsville has a great and long tradition as a small school football power, from 6 yrs. ago the football program was shaken apart from top to bottom. Now the Tigers are struggling to build back some respectability in 1A.

While it was great for fans having the Apple Bowl as an "event" on Thursday leading into Apple Day weekend, there's nothing to gain for either football squad. No purpose is served in a mismatch like this.

But, who knows... if Paintsville can get itself together to the point the game could be somewhat competitive, maybe it'll start again.
Westside Wrote:Why is the game no longer played? Is it because the games became so one sided?
That's probably it W-side. The margins not the W's I think. Kind of like Bell/Pineville,Belfry/Phelps, St X/Holy Cross or Alabama/Pikeville.
oneijoe Wrote:Sure...

As Mr. Hustle stated above, Central has -finally- come into its own. The facilities, resources, and financial backing are far and away greater than any other school in a multi-county area. A competent and driven coaching staff has been the missing ingredient. With that corrected, the school is now a 5A perennial "top 10" football school.

While Paintsville has a great and long tradition as a small school football power, from 6 yrs. ago the football program was shaken apart from top to bottom. Now the Tigers are struggling to build back some respectability in 1A.

While it was great for fans having the Apple Bowl as an "event" on Thursday leading into Apple Day weekend, there's nothing to gain for either football squad. No purpose is served in a mismatch like this.

But, who knows... if Paintsville can get itself together to the point the game could be somewhat competitive, maybe it'll start again.

:Thumbs:
oneijoe Wrote:Sure...

I agree with you 100 percent. To be honest with you, paintsville will have to make a lot of changes to get back to being successful again. These programs have completely flip flopped. Paintsville had the chance to make a home run hire 3 years ago, and they didn't. JC went out and got a top of the line coach with many years of experience and look what it did for their program. I don't blame paintsville for taking a chance on Mr Kinner though. He played for a great program at Georgetown and was a good player at PHS. The bad part is they took a gamble on a coach with just one years experience, when they had very good applicants wanting the job that were more qualified. Over time I could see him being a good coach, but whether he will get that time im not sure. I definitely know that he needs to get a better staff around him that has more experience. I just hope he gets it turned around because i would love to see this rivalry start back again and I would like to see the Tigers be able to compete with JC like they used too
its a lost tradition because paintsville cant stay within 70 points of central or any other good team.. sad but true.. if this is unnessary then please delete but i think the tigers just need to grow some and go play the game..
The Apple Bowl was one tradition that should have ended soon after Jim Matney was hired to coach Johnson Central. The games were becoming so lopsided that they were not helping either team. I hope that the series is never resumed because that will mean that Johnson Central's program has fallen on hard times again.
Superman20 Wrote:I agree with you 100 percent. To be honest with you, paintsville will have to make a lot of changes to get back to being successful again. These programs have completely flip flopped. Paintsville had the chance to make a home run hire 3 years ago, and they didn't. JC went out and got a top of the line coach with many years of experience and look what it did for their program. I don't blame paintsville for taking a chance on Mr Kinner though. He played for a great program at Georgetown and was a good player at PHS. The bad part is they took a gamble on a coach with just one years experience, when they had very good applicants wanting the job that were more qualified. Over time I could see him being a good coach, but whether he will get that time im not sure. I definitely know that he needs to get a better staff around him that has more experience. I just hope he gets it turned around because i would love to see this rivalry start back again and I would like to see the Tigers be able to compete with JC like they used too
HEY FOLKS, a dose of reality is whats needed in this case. I remember when PHS would beat JCHS as badly as they wanted too. JC never lobbied to end this competition, Paintsville Admin. and its coaching staff did. Now, the PHS ALUM cant sleep at night knowing the administration has allowed all of its sports programs and facillities to go down the toilet. As far as quality coaches around Kinner is impossible simply because of his defiant ego towards others who may know more than he does. Its very easy for people to have no sympathy for the TIGERS!!!
Johnson Central in a BIG way!
GOLDFISH115 Wrote:HEY FOLKS, a dose of reality is whats needed in this case. I remember when PHS would beat JCHS as badly as they wanted too. JC never lobbied to end this competition, Paintsville Admin. and its coaching staff did. Now, the PHS ALUM cant sleep at night knowing the administration has allowed all of its sports programs and facillities to go down the toilet. As far as quality coaches around Kinner is impossible simply because of his defiant ego towards others who may know more than he does. Its very easy for people to have no sympathy for the TIGERS!!!

:Clap: LOL The truth hurts! I hate how the admin. has let all of the sports go down hill. I agree with your post completly
monster_energy Wrote:its a lost tradition because paintsville cant stay within 70 points of central or any other good team.. sad but true.. if this is unnessary then please delete but i think the tigers just need to grow some and go play the game..
ME the state of P-ville football is quite clear. It is a bit more conprehensive than you suggest I am afraid. We could I suppose get Mr.H at Mickey D's to donate a lot of fries and burgers to the cause. Since the KHSAA has kindly implemented a class system I would be happy if the Tigers could play "unembarassed" in class A and with schools close to to their size and resources. Is that too much to ask? Of the Eagles I would ask that they learn to get by the B's and H of their schedule. It would be nice to end up on the carpet. Consider the status of the two programs and perhaps this not an unreal set of expectations for both programs. To dwell on how bad a team is getting mashed does not appear to help one's own program to achieve goals.

Pretty much, BIG 5A school JC was always beating up on little oh 1A Paintsville. I'm kinda glad to see it over. I would like to see a series of JC and Paintsville playing other teams during the Apple Fesitval though.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:ME the state of P-ville football is quite clear. It is a bit more conprehensive than you suggest I am afraid. We could I suppose get Mr.H at Mickey D's to donate a lot of fries and burgers to the cause. Since the KHSAA has kindly implemented a class system I would be happy if the Tigers could play "unembarassed" in class A and with schools close to to their size and resources. Is that too much to ask? Of the Eagles I would ask that they learn to get by the B's and H of their schedule. It would be nice to end up on the carpet. Consider the status of the two programs and perhaps this not an unreal set of expectations for both programs. To dwell on how bad a team is getting mashed does not appear to help one's own program to achieve goals.

Was watching Wymt today, and got sick at my stomach. The coach at Pike Central that applied for the paintsville job and didn't get an interview when Kinner was hired, now has Pike Central ranked #3 in class 3A. The man was the d coordinator at breathitt for years and won state championships, but wasn't good enough for an interview. Whoever made that decision has really screwed the program. Running Jim Tom off was bad enough, then turning down a top notch coach was just icing on the cake.
Tailback44 Wrote:Pretty much, BIG 5A school JC was always beating up on little oh 1A Paintsville. I'm kinda glad to see it over. I would like to see a series of JC and Paintsville playing other teams during the Apple Fesitval though.

Yes that would be interesting, because Paintsville doesn't have the ability to make this game competitive anymore and I don't mean that in a negative way its just due to the school size and the amount of talent there is in a 1A school compared to a 5A school.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
talk about lost traditions pal, im right there with you. hazard/perry dont play no more either. an it sux!
09Dores Wrote:talk about lost traditions pal, im right there with you. hazard/perry dont play no more either. an it sux!
:rockon: Preach it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And here is something I didn't mention in my original post.... The Apple Bowl was a HUGE money making event for both schools. It's my understanding that both schools spilt the gate, but the home team got to keep the money from the concession stand, which to me, is fair. I drive by Paintsville's football stadium all the time, and I don't want to knock them, but their stadium and complex could really use some upgrades. New stadium lights, public address system (or I know the last game I was at, theyy needed a new PA system), entrance gates....

Hopefully JC can get something set up with Sheldon Clark and Prestonsburg. Have a home game on Apple Day Thursday OR Friday night between one of the two every year and travel to the other school some time during the season.
Examples.... and these are only an examples
2011 - 10-1 JC vs. Sheldon Clark
2011 - date? JC @ Prestonsburg
2012 - 10-2 JC vs. Prestonsburg
2012 - date? JC @ Sheldon Clark
and so on...........................................
Pulp Fiction Wrote:And here is something I didn't mention in my original post.... The Apple Bowl was a HUGE money making event for both schools. It's my understanding that both schools spilt the gate, but the home team got to keep the money from the concession stand, which to me, is fair. I drive by Paintsville's football stadium all the time, and I don't want to knock them, but their stadium and complex could really use some upgrades. New stadium lights, public address system (or I know the last game I was at, theyy needed a new PA system), entrance gates....

Hopefully JC can get something set up with Sheldon Clark and Prestonsburg. Have a home game on Apple Day Thursday OR Friday night between one of the two every year and travel to the other school some time during the season.
Examples.... and these are only an examples
2011 - 10-1 JC vs. Sheldon Clark
2011 - date? JC @ Prestonsburg
2012 - 10-2 JC vs. Prestonsburg
2012 - date? JC @ Sheldon Clark
and so on...........................................
Well ,ugh you might want to drive by the field and take a fresh gander. Many of the changes you have suggested have been made. Call the school and ask for a PA demo. It's too much for me. I realize it's been 2-3 years since you were there (operationally) and this of cource is not the Superdome. But then of cource you don't need much when you only have a couple bus loads of fans and your student pop.is so limited. You know I really think that the Bluebirds would rather play the Eagles than the Tigers irreguardless of facilities. Why? Cause the Eagles are in the road to another title. I am not sure that many outside "The Eagle Football Program" feel the same. I guess the overall record in the series is a hard pill to swollow in lieu of the Program turn. I want to send my best out to the Eagle football team especially the defensive secondary and hope everyone looks west for that final game. Go Eagles:Clap:
GOLDFISH115 Wrote:HEY FOLKS, a dose of reality is whats needed in this case. I remember when PHS would beat JCHS as badly as they wanted too. ...

Actually, you're dead wrong. In only ONE year has Paintsville approached the "beat JCHS as badly as they wanted too" point. That was the year Lemaster was the star QB for the Tigers (back in 1978).

From its very first year in existance, Central ALWAYS had a huge advantage in resources and facilities. Though Paintsville had advantages in coaching and tradition, it allowed Central to be reasonably competitive throughout the series.

Here's proof:

http://phsaa.com/Apple%20Bowl%20History/...istory.htm
Steve Trimble could take the first step in playing the Apple bowl again. Let his elementary schools play Paintsville elementary. IMO this started the demise of the Apple bowl. Paintsville administrators finally said you don't play our elementary schools we don't play the apple bowl. The reason this game isn't played falls on Johnson county administrators alot more than anyone involved. They ( JC adminstrators ) won't admit it but that's the bottom line.
TIGERTIME: You should be better known as “Alice and Wander Land” The demise of the Apple Bowl started when Johnson Central hired Coach Matney.
So let me get this right, Paintsville would play the Apple Bowl if the county grade school teams would play your grade school team. How does one relate to the other? In the past 5 years how many times has Paintsville 7&8 grade team refused to play Johnson Central Middle School team even though this game was schedule through the conference?
Did you not see the score of the Pineville game last week (62-6)? The problems with Paintsville football program is not having a running clock put on you in the Apple Bowl by Johnson Central but the people in charge of the program at Paintsville. From the administration down through your elementary, middle school and high school football coaches. At this point in time all Johnson Central Football Program gets out of the Apple Bowl would be having a game your could rest our starter before we start district and the economic reward of the game.
The most dominate area for Paintsville in the Apple Bowl was 1975 and 1982 however, Johnson Central did not blame Paintsville for the losses and we continue to play the apple Bowl.
At this time I think it is fair to say unless Paintsville’s administration, coaches and fans take the responsibility for the actions (not projecting blame ) and make the necessary changes to the football program TIGERTIME is over.
TIGERTIME Wrote:Steve Trimble could take the first step in playing the Apple bowl again. Let his elementary schools play Paintsville elementary. IMO this started the demise of the Apple bowl. Paintsville administrators finally said you don't play our elementary schools we don't play the apple bowl. The reason this game isn't played falls on Johnson county administrators alot more than anyone involved. They ( JC adminstrators ) won't admit it but that's the bottom line.

This is not true, Paintsville quit, plain and simple. They had had enough. To be honest, when JC set their goals higher than beating Paintsville their whole program turned around. Alot of memories for the older fans, but it serves no purpose in the JC program now.
MonsterMan Wrote:This is not true, Paintsville quit, plain and simple. They had had enough. To be honest, when JC set their goals higher than beating Paintsville their whole program turned around. Alot of memories for the older fans, but it serves no purpose in the JC program now.

This is very true. Ask your boss over there. He could start the road to recovery. Ask him why he doesn't play the elementary. they beg him every year. Paintsville spends thousand of dollars every year transporting elementary kids to other counties to play elementary basketball and football games. Trimble was warned on several occassions and they warned him the Apple bowl was in jeopardy. He won't tell you that but that's the bottom line.
With all due respect, Johnson Co. schools refusing to play Paintsville at the elementary level didn't end the Apple Bowl.

While it may have made Paintsville's decision to stop the series somewhat easier to make, it's a different matter entirely. IMO, it's a WORSE thing (forcing the younger Paintsville kids to play games out of county). For many years that's been the biggest kernel of ill-will between the 2 school systems. Still...it isn't what stopped the Apple Bowl.
oneijoe Wrote:Actually, you're dead wrong. In only ONE year has Paintsville approached the "beat JCHS as badly as they wanted too" point. That was the year Lemaster was the star QB for the Tigers (back in 1978).

From its very first year in existance, Central ALWAYS had a huge advantage in resources and facilities. Though Paintsville had advantages in coaching and tradition, it allowed Central to be reasonably competitive throughout the series.

Here's proof:

http://phsaa.com/Apple%20Bowl%20History/...istory.htm

Huge advantage in resources and facilities? JC didn't even have a field until the 1975 or 1976 season and how do you know anything about the series? You go on and on and have for years acting like your a JC know it all when the truth is you didn't even go to the two schools did you? So what makes you an expert on the two schools history? You've probably sent your kids to Paintsville but that don't make you an expert on the old Apple Bowl series.If you think that the apple bowl only mattered to Paintsville for one year in the entire series your crazy. Both schools wanted to win and if you actually played in the series you would know that.
Don Carlo Wrote:Huge advantage in resources and facilities? JC didn't even have a field until the 1975 or 1976 season and how do you know anything about the series? You go on and on and have for years acting like your a JC know it all when the truth is you didn't even go to the two schools did you? So what makes you an expert on the two schools history? You've probably sent your kids to Paintsville but that don't make you an expert on the old Apple Bowl series.If you think that the apple bowl only mattered to Paintsville for one year in the entire series your crazy. Both schools wanted to win and if you actually played in the series you would know that.

Whoa...what did I say to set you off ?? If it's the bold faced words, I'll take it back for 1974 and 1975 (first 2 years of Apple Bowl).

I'm no expert on the series, but I did grow up about 13 miles from it and have always been a football fan.

Go back and re-read what I wrote. I never made the claim "...the apple bowl only mattered to Paintsville for one year in the entire series...". What I said was, there was only ONE year in which Paintsville approached beating Central "as bad as they wanted". And that was in reply to GOLDFISH's memory of Paintsville dominance. That's all. If anything, I'd say Paintsville took the series more to heart than Central at the beginning. Why ? Because Central won the 1st game of the series in a HUGE upset !!

Relax, my friend...I'm NOT anti-Central (not since they've fixed they've righted their football program, anyway).

:please:
Eagle84 Wrote:TIGERTIME: You should be better known as “Alice and Wander Land” The demise of the Apple Bowl started when Johnson Central hired Coach Matney.
So let me get this right, Paintsville would play the Apple Bowl if the county grade school teams would play your grade school team. How does one relate to the other? In the past 5 years how many times has Paintsville 7&8 grade team refused to play Johnson Central Middle School team even though this game was schedule through the conference?
Did you not see the score of the Pineville game last week (62-6)? The problems with Paintsville football program is not having a running clock put on you in the Apple Bowl by Johnson Central but the people in charge of the program at Paintsville. From the administration down through your elementary, middle school and high school football coaches. At this point in time all Johnson Central Football Program gets out of the Apple Bowl would be having a game your could rest our starter before we start district and the economic reward of the game.
The most dominate area for Paintsville in the Apple Bowl was 1975 and 1982 however, Johnson Central did not blame Paintsville for the losses and we continue to play the apple Bowl.
At this time I think it is fair to say unless Paintsville’s administration, coaches and fans take the responsibility for the actions (not projecting blame ) and make the necessary changes to the football program TIGERTIME is over.

I knew I would get a rise out of an administrator or family member of an administrator. I love this site!! They don't play the middle school for that very reason. Don't play the elementary you will never get another middle school game. You put Matney on some pedestal whgen the truth is half of the administrators want him out. That's classic Johnson county. Don't worry your footbll program will fall again, just give it time. You guys always cut your own throats.