Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is 75 points running the score up?
LC - 75
SV - 14

Thoughts?
How late were the starters in the game?
I remember about 10 years ago or so, Fleming-Neon put up 90+ on Elkhorn City in a game. With this day and age of the running clock, 75 points is almost impossible! Is it running the score up, IMO yes it is because I read somewhere that the starters were in till the start of the 4th. Also read they ran a fake punt up 50+ on a Knott Co team a few weeks back, sounds as if they are trying to run the score up and "send a message" of sorts to everyone. The only thing I'm getting is they are a classless bunch that's going to get theirs when they go up against Bell Co. in the playoffs like last year due to their cupcake schedule.
To me, it all depends how long the starters were in the game. If the starters, 60 or more of the points yes it is running up the score. If the backups scores 35 points, shame on the other team for not stopping the backups. You cannot tell the freshman who rarely gets in a game and tell him not to score. As a coach you want to teach the young players to learn how to play in live game action.
If starters were in at anytime during the 4th quarter, then yes that is running up the score and your coach has no class. No reason for starters to be in the game during the
4th quarter and your ahead by that much. Your taking a good chance of getting a starter hurt over a game that is already pretty much over with. If your JV and freshman played the majority of the 2nd half and you all put up that many points, then thats acceptable in my eyes, cause you can't help that.
Jarons Wrote:To me, it all depends how long the starters were in the game. If the starters, 60 or more of the points yes it is running up the score. If the backups scores 35 points, shame on the other team for not stopping the backups. You cannot tell the freshman who rarely gets in a game and tell him not to score. As a coach you want to teach the young players to learn how to play in live game action.

:Thumbs: I just posted about the same thing, didn't even see your post lol
IRISH4 Wrote:I remember about 10 years ago or so, Fleming-Neon put up 90+ on Elkhorn City in a game. With this day and age of the running clock, 75 points is almost impossible! Is it running the score up, IMO yes it is because I read somewhere that the starters were in till the start of the 4th. Also read they ran a fake punt up 50+ on a Knott Co team a few weeks back, sounds as if they are trying to run the score up and "send a message" of sorts to everyone. The only thing I'm getting is they are a classless bunch that's going to get theirs when they go up against Bell Co. in the playoffs like last year due to their cupcake schedule.

Shelby Valley was the team that ran a fake punt against KCC when they were up 58-0 not Lawrence County.
StrayBullet Wrote:Shelby Valley was the team that ran a fake punt against KCC when they were up 58-0 not Lawrence County.

I stand corrected, I don't know what I was thinking right there. In that case...they got theirs! LOL
Playing a soft schedule is really gonna hurt LC when they are in the playoffs, so I agree with Irish on that. Bell County's freshman team could beat the teams that LC has been playing, and im not even joking
IRISH4 Wrote:I stand corrected, I don't know what I was thinking right there. In that case...they got theirs! LOL

Dont worry..I get corrected on here more than I am right all the time :1:
Pendleton Co. put up 97 on Letcher Co. a few years back if I remember correctly. Anyways I think it has more to do with the nature of the win. Was there bad blood before the game? Did the starters stay in late into the 2nd half? Were they passing the ball or running trick plays after going up a few touchdowns? If the answer is yes to all of these questions, then yeah 75 is running up the score. But as Jimmy Johnson would say, you can only coach one team.
let's see.... 47-14 at h/t ... gotta wipe that out, so 28-0 in 2nd half.
Had a late 3rd q TD from a starter, which isn't cool, but it put him over 300, so he might been going for the school record... who knows. Makes the score 67-14.
Only TD in 4th came after a SV turnover at their 26 ... hard not to score from there.

This coulda been a LOT worse.... doesn't look like running-up to me.... looks like, well, I won't say what I was gonna say... these are HS kids.

This ain't Peanut League where everyone wins. This is a game. My job is to score... yours is to score more. If you csn't keep up, don't blsme me for being better.
You also need to look at the number of offensive plays that LC ran in this game. They were having drives where they only ran the ball three times and scored two TD's on it because one would be called back. These weren't 20 yard drives either instead they were 70 plus. This schedule sucks I agree but were stuck with it. Now do you not let your starters play any because the schedule is so weak. If we pulled the starters as early as some want in these first two games the 1st string offense may have only played 15 to 20 total plays if that. That won't get you ready at all even if each play is for 50 plus yards. At one point in this game James was averaging 58 yards a carry and Bentley was at 38 yards a carry. Just like LC is stuck with this schedule the teams that they are playing are also stuck with it and many of these teams SO WANTED LC on their schedule two years ago because they didn't see it getting turned around as fast as it has. So now they have their medicine and have to take it. LC players have to have game experience to be ready for later and if getting that causes the score to be this bad then as much as I hate it, I do understand. Would you rather have LC score or fall at the 3 and give the ball to you? Which would make you feel worse?
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
I think that some people still associate SV with Saunders and their complete lack of sportmanship in that era and that not going to help them get any pity from anyone when it come to running up the score.

So is 75 running up the score. IDK its hard to pull your starters until they have made it worth their while to drive down to Pike Co. And its hard to stop scoring when the oposing team cant tackle the back just trying to run up the gut and let the clock run. This was exactly what happened to SV at Knott Co. wk 0, and people didnt seem to make a huge deal out of it. So in the grand scheme of what goes around comes around, and golden rule, SV had it coming to them, and will probably have the same thing happen again next week.
VHSL-helper Wrote:let's see.... 47-14 at h/t ... gotta wipe that out, so 28-0 in 2nd half.
Had a late 3rd q TD from a starter, which isn't cool, but it put him over 300, so he might been going for the school record... who knows. Makes the score 67-14.
Only TD in 4th came after a SV turnover at their 26 ... hard not to score from there.

This coulda been a LOT worse.... doesn't look like running-up to me.... looks like, well, I won't say what I was gonna say... these are HS kids.

This ain't Peanut League where everyone wins. This is a game. My job is to score... yours is to score more. If you csn't keep up, don't blsme me for being better.

This.
I believe the 66-0 beating that Shelby Valley gave Knott was a bigger spread than 75 to 14 that they received. So I don't see how they can complain and LC didn't fake crap at the end of the game.

66 point spread or 61 which is larger?
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
CatDawg Wrote:I believe the 66-0 beating that Shelby Valley gave Knott was a bigger spread than 75 to 14 that they received. So I don't see how they can complain and LC didn't fake crap at the end of the game.

66 point spread or 61 which is larger?

Both are wrong IMO. 2 wrongs do not make a right so I have a hard time feeling bad for Valley just as I will have a hard time feeling bad for Lawrence when and if they ever get on the other side of one of these.
Super-Card Wrote:Both are wrong IMO. 2 wrongs do not make a right so I have a hard time feeling bad for Valley just as I will have a hard time feeling bad for Lawrence when and if they ever get on the other side of one of these.

I don't think LC would have got your sympathy anyway.
Super-Card Wrote:Both are wrong IMO. 2 wrongs do not make a right so I have a hard time feeling bad for Valley just as I will have a hard time feeling bad for Lawrence when and if they ever get on the other side of one of these.
We have been and that's part of playing the game. If it happens I'm not going to cry and not be able to sleep anymore than if we lost 1-0. As a matter of fact I would rather be killed than to lose 1-0. I hate to lose period so the score doesn't mean jack to me.
Were any words exchanged between the coaching staff after the game during handshakes??
IRISH4 Wrote:I remember about 10 years ago or so, Fleming-Neon put up 90+ on Elkhorn City in a game. With this day and age of the running clock, 75 points is almost impossible! Is it running the score up, IMO yes it is because I read somewhere that the starters were in till the start of the 4th. Also read they ran a fake punt up 50+ on a Knott Co team a few weeks back, sounds as if they are trying to run the score up and "send a message" of sorts to everyone. The only thing I'm getting is they are a classless bunch that's going to get theirs when they go up against Bell Co. in the playoffs like last year due to their cupcake schedule.

It was Shelby Valley that ran the fake punt on Knott CO. NOT LC!You need to get facts straight.:thanks:
Just gets to me a little that nobody is mentioning that SV MAY have ran the score up last week at KCC but when LC does it then it becomes a hot topic of discussion.
Absolutely NOT. "They ran the score up on us" is absolutely the weakest, softest, most pathetic statement that ANYBODY can give defending their team. I would take it as an insult if a team intentionally tried not to score against a team I was coaching. As a coach, if you keep your team from burying another team, you are taking away their killer instinct. In my opinion, and its the right one, as long as the time doesnt show a bunch of 0's, you should be trying to score, and you should be trying every way in the book to do it. If you are beating a hapless team by 80 points, its not your fault they cant stop you. Keep scoring. Call timeouts to stop the clock, fake punts, the whole 9 yards. I absolutely hate when coaches take their foot off the pedal. So no, 75 points isnt running up the score. There is no such thing. If you can dish it out, you need to learn to take it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Absolutely NOT. "They ran the score up on us" is absolutely the weakest, softest, most pathetic statement that ANYBODY can give defending their team. I would take it as an insult if a team intentionally tried not to score against a team I was coaching. As a coach, if you keep your team from burying another team, you are taking away their killer instinct. In my opinion, and its the right one, as long as the time doesnt show a bunch of 0's, you should be trying to score, and you should be trying every way in the book to do it. If you are beating a hapless team by 80 points, its not your fault they cant stop you. Keep scoring. Call timeouts to stop the clock, fake punts, the whole 9 yards. I absolutely hate when coaches take their foot off the pedal. So no, 75 points isnt running up the score. There is no such thing. If you can dish it out, you need to learn to take it.

:Clap::Clap::Thumbs::Thumbs::rockon::Clap::Clap:
StrayBullet Wrote:Just gets to me a little that nobody is mentioning that SV MAY have ran the score up last week at KCC but when LC does it then it becomes a hot topic of discussion.
Have you noticed most of the complaints haven't came from SV, heck maybe none of them. Seems others are the ones having the problem with it.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Absolutely NOT. "They ran the score up on us" is absolutely the weakest, softest, most pathetic statement that ANYBODY can give defending their team. I would take it as an insult if a team intentionally tried not to score against a team I was coaching. As a coach, if you keep your team from burying another team, you are taking away their killer instinct. In my opinion, and its the right one, as long as the time doesnt show a bunch of 0's, you should be trying to score, and you should be trying every way in the book to do it. If you are beating a hapless team by 80 points, its not your fault they cant stop you. Keep scoring. Call timeouts to stop the clock, fake punts, the whole 9 yards. I absolutely hate when coaches take their foot off the pedal. So no, 75 points isnt running up the score. There is no such thing. If you can dish it out, you need to learn to take it.
I feel the same and to me kids are more likely to get hurt when playing at half speed than at full speed. Additionally, I would rather my team be destroyed that treated like little babies. If they take a beating they will remember how it feels and not want to see it again.
CatDawg Wrote:Have you noticed most of the complaints haven't came from SV, heck maybe none of them. Seems others are the ones having the problem with it.

I do wonder why that is??
no class,i guess you take what you can get when you can get it ,go cards.
Don't we all.
First of all, let me say I'm in no way complaining,just stating some facts.LC is a very good team who deserved the win and dominated in every aspect. With that said, they did do an onside kick while being up by 31, they did have their starting offense in until the 6:36mark of the 4th quarter,and I'm not really sure about how long the starting defense was in. As for the "fake punt" at KC, it was actually a busted punt and the kicker chose to run it,as I remember it.Again, I reiterate, I'm not complaining.If we had a team like LC, who knows what we might do?? Hopefully not that though!