Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands 29 Ryle 14
nm
congrats to Highlands
The halftime score was 14-13 Ryle. Highlands made some great defensive adjustments the 2nd half to slow down Elliott and the Raiders.

Ryle really played a great game. If they had any sort of passing game, they would be 10 times as good as they are now.
Impressive victory for the Bluebirds!
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Ryle really played a great game. If they had any sort of passing game, they would be 10 times as good as they are now.

:Thumbs:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Impressive victory for the Bluebirds!

No, more of a sloppy victory, but a victory. They seemed to be intent upon working on the deep passing game, which did little except stall some promising drives. They'd have a nice drive going with Compton, Towles and Streeter running the ball effectively, then they'd go deep. It worked one time, but Towles wound up with three INTs on the night and the passing game just never looked comfortable. The running game is really the heart of the offense on this team. The defense was really tough in the second half tonight. They let Elliott take it to the 1 on a 3rd and 21 play which set up the second Ryle score near the end of the first half, then came out and shut things down in the second half, forcing key fumbles and generally taking over the game. Like BaseballIsLife said, Ryle could be bad news if the passing game ever comes around.
Some really big hits by both teams on Defense. I have to say that some of the coaching moves agian this year on the Ryle side leave me scratching my head. I also agree it was a sloppy win. Alot of penalties out there tonight. Highlands looked content to just play clock management once the score was 26-14.
Ryle really does not have the receiving weapons to compliment Hempel.

Congrats to the Birds.
I must reiterate my assessment: Defense Defense Defense. Superb defensive game for the Birds. Shut down Elliott and pressured Hempel. Textbook. Good licks on both sides of the ball. Emotions ran high a DCMS. Fans even throwing objects on the field. Warner animated as always at halftime. Towles looked shaky tonight. Nerves, but settled in and salvaged the 1st half. Game could've gone anyway tonight. Offense looks anything but a sure thing in the Red Zone. Running game sputtered at times. Towles forcing a couple trying to make something happen. 1st real test of the Birds tonight. almost a carbon copy of last year's JC game although Ryle didn't gas out as bad as JC. Tonight was a preview of a future matchup in Eagleland. Towles passing saved their hides on more than a couple series. Alot of 3rd and longs for the Birds. He did overshoot a wide open receiver early that would've given them breathing room in the 1st half. Offense C+ Defense A+
^ no excuses for the kid, but Elliott was at Colosimo this week with what they thought was a broken foot after being stepped on. Ryle also lost two defensive line starters due to injury.
The Ryle football team has taken three shots at Northern Kentucky kingpin Highlands in the last 12 months. Each time the Raiders have inched closer to knocking off the area’s top-ranked team.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...308270086/

Each time they’ve learned something knew about themselves. On Friday at David Cecil Memorial Stadium, the overwhelming message from Highlands was simple: nice try, but you’re not there yet.

• Photos: Bluebirds 29, Raiders 14
• Take our high school football quiz
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Follow Ryan Ernst on Twitter
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

The Bluebirds ran their state-best winning streak to 30 games by turning away Ryle, ranked second in the Enquirer coaches’ poll, 29-14.

“It was No. 1 vs. No. 2 and we won,” said Highlands coach Dale Mueller. “It’s a big win. We’re happy to win.”

Happy, but not thrilled.

“I really think both teams were disappointed with the way they played. Neither team played their best,” Mueller said.

“Guys lost their cool. There were turnovers and penalties. For No. 1 vs. No 2 in Northern Kentucky, it wasn’t a great game.”

Ryle controlled the tempo in the first half. It led 14-7 with 10 seconds to play in the second quarter and Highlands facing a second-and-26 from the Ryle 32-yard line.

The Bluebirds had time for one last play and they made it count. Junior quarterback Patrick Towles hit Daniel Gold over the middle for a 32-yard touchdown pass as time expired.

“(Gold) raised his arm and I saw he was open,” Towles said. “I just put it right over the outside (line)backer.”

The extra point kick failed, so Ryle retained the lead. But the Bluebirds had the momentum.

“We played a great first half, but you can’t let them have an opportunity like that at the end of the first half,” said Ryle coach Bryson Warner. “That’s what they do and they’re good at it. We’re going to learn how to do that and we’re going to learn how to defend that. That’s why we play them.”

From there, Highlands dominated.

Austin Hollingsworth recovered a Ryle fumble on the first second-half play from scrimmage. Highlands capitalized with a 5-yard touchdown run from Corey Compton. The senior capped the Bluebirds’ next possession with a 1-yard touchdown run. The extra point made the score 26-14 midway through the third quarter.

Adam Weinel capped the scoring with a 31-yard field goal for Highlands.

The Bluebirds held Ryle to 55 yards in the second half and caused three turnovers.

“We brought our linebackers up a little bit in the second half,” said Highlands defensive back Drake Bruns, who picked off a pass and recovered a fumble. “That seemed to make a big difference.”

Highlands outgained the Raiders 443 yards to 227. Jordan Streeter led the Bluebirds with 11 carries for 115 yards. Towels was 9-of-16 passing for 153 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions. Ryle junior running back Travis Elliott carried 13 times for 151 yards.

The game might have been big in determining the best team in Northern Kentucky, but it was also ugly. There were four interceptions, two lost fumbles, 14 penalties for 106 yards and a post-play scrap that sent an official to the turf.

Both coaches said that when the teams meet again in Week 10 at Ryle – the game was the third in a two-year, four-game contract – the competition should be better.

“There’s no doubt that they’ll play way better than that this season,” said Mueller. “We’ll play way better than that too. I think that game left both of us kind of frustrated.”

Ryle……….7 7 0 0 -- 14
Highlands…7 6 13 3 -- 29

H – Gall 13 run (Weinel kick)
R – Lonkard 25 pass from Hempel (Mead kick)
R – Elliott 2 run (Mead kick)
H – Gold 32 pass from Towles (kick failed)
H – Compton 5 run (pass failed)
H – Compton 1 run (Weinel kick)
H – Weinel 31 field goal
Records: R 1-1, H 2-0
The two teams will meet again in Week 10 at Ryle.
Stardust Wrote:The two teams will meet again in Week 10 at Ryle.

Do they play twice every year?
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I must reiterate my assessment: Defense Defense Defense. Superb defensive game for the Birds. Shut down Elliott and pressured Hempel. Textbook. Good licks on both sides of the ball. Emotions ran high a DCMS. Fans even throwing objects on the field. Warner animated as always at halftime. Towles looked shaky tonight. Nerves, but settled in and salvaged the 1st half. Game could've gone anyway tonight. Offense looks anything but a sure thing in the Red Zone. Running game sputtered at times. Towles forcing a couple trying to make something happen. 1st real test of the Birds tonight. almost a carbon copy of last year's JC game although Ryle didn't gas out as bad as JC. Tonight was a preview of a future matchup in Eagleland. Towles passing saved their hides on more than a couple series. Alot of 3rd and longs for the Birds. He did overshoot a wide open receiver early that would've given them breathing room in the 1st half. Offense C+ Defense A+

I did not see any fans throwing stuff, but did see a Ryle player throw what looked like a ball of tape into the HHS student section. Maybe they threw that back at him, I did not see it, just guessing. I disagree on the running game sputtering, I think Ryle had no answer for it and it was poor decisions on the passing game that ended very good drives 3 times. Went pretty much as I expected with close game in 1st half and HHS taking over in the 2nd. I was disappointed in the penalties by HHS and would have liked to see them keep their emotions in check alittle better.
sstack Wrote:I did not see any fans throwing stuff, but did see a Ryle player throw what looked like a ball of tape into the HHS student section. Maybe they threw that back at him, I did not see it, just guessing. I disagree on the running game sputtering, I think Ryle had no answer for it and it was poor decisions on the passing game that ended very good drives 3 times. Went pretty much as I expected with close game in 1st half and HHS taking over in the 2nd. I was disappointed in the penalties by HHS and would have liked to see them keep their emotions in check alittle better.

One kid threw one toy football onto the field. That was it. No big deal.

I agree with you about Highlands needing to control it's emotions (Ryle does too, but I don't care about Ryle).

I thought the Birds running game looked good. To be honest, it's been a very pleasant surprise so far this season. Compton is a load. Nice power, cuts back well and has decent speed. Streeter doesn't have the size, but he really keeps his legs churning upon contact. I thought True had a couple of nice carries and some very good blocks. O line is really coming along. It will have to continue to improve. We've seen against Manual and Ryle what we are likely to see the rest of the year: teams playing cover 2 to make sure they don't get beat deep. We have to continue running the ball and improve the middle/short passing game.

Other than a couple of shoulder tackles (or should I say shoulder attempted tackles) the Birds D looked fantastic. I actually felt sorry for Ryle's QB. It was obvious that he didn't have a strong receiving corps to work with. We'
ve faced him the two prior years so I know he has a very strong arm, but Ryle didn't even attempt to stretch the field.

On to Beechwood. I think the Tigers are 0-2 and would love to get on the good side of the ledger by pulling off a huge upset of the Birds. I don't see it happening, but stranger things have occurred. Can't go 15-0 before going 3-0.
Westside Wrote:Do they play twice every year?

I believe the first year was last year, and I'm not sure how long the contract is for. I'll let my HHS brethren reply inform us of that.
Just came from a baseball showcase, and most all the talk was how Ryle coached "scared". meaning, they were trying to not get trounced. Sounded like HHS figured that out and tried to air it out and stretch the game out, which got them in trouble with a couple of INT's.
Stardust Wrote:Just came from a baseball showcase, and most all the talk was how Ryle coached "scared". meaning, they were trying to not get trounced. Sounded like HHS figured that out and tried to air it out and stretch the game out, which got them in trouble with a couple of INT's.

If punting on 3rd down twice in the game is coaching scared, then yes he was.
sstack Wrote:If punting on 3rd down twice in the game is coaching scared, then yes he was.

lol, that's what I heard
When it's third down and forever it's a great move to get field position. Ya'll really know your football.
nptb17 Wrote:When it's third down and forever it's a great move to get field position. Ya'll really know your football.

Lol, when it's 3rd down and forever, looks like the offensive team didn't know their football or they would have never been in that position. :flame:
nptb17 Wrote:When it's third down and forever it's a great move to get field position. Ya'll really know your football.

When you're playing one of the best teams in the state at their house, it's suicide. You're obviously a genius, also.:eyeroll:
Congrats Bluebirds.
I mentioned that there was alot of hard hitting in this game, and now it seems that it might effect the season for at least one team. I heard that one Ryle player had a torn ACL, and two others had ankle injuries. I hope for a speedy recovery for all the players. Have heard of no injuries for HHS.
sstack Wrote:I mentioned that there was alot of hard hitting in this game, and now it seems that it might effect the season for at least one team. I heard that one Ryle player had a torn ACL, and two others had ankle injuries. I hope for a speedy recovery for all the players. Have heard of no injuries for HHS.

I don't see that being a product of the hard hitting. Those were just situations where the leg was planted and gave way. Now, CONCUSSIONS, those are a product of the hard hitting.
what exactly happened in the exchange between Sullivan and Elliott?
sstack Wrote:I mentioned that there was alot of hard hitting in this game, and now it seems that it might effect the season for at least one team. I heard that one Ryle player had a torn ACL, and two others had ankle injuries. I hope for a speedy recovery for all the players. Have heard of no injuries for HHS.

WHO??? PM me, probably not a good idea to post. I know it's not confirmed, but certainly has a big impact for Camel Fans:biggrin:
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:what exactly happened in the exchange between Sullivan and Elliott?

That's like to Rams clashing head to head :HitWall:
Nice win for Highlands. That's a pretty darn good Ryle team. I'm not going to predict that Ryle is going to win 6A or even make it to the finals, but they have a very solid football team.

I was impressed with Highlands O line, which continues to improve as it gets more experience. They looked pretty rough against Trinity, but have looked better and better in each of the last two games. Ryle has a very nice defense but the Birds ran the ball pretty darn well I thought. Keep it up.