Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky/West Virginia
Strikeout King Wrote:why don't UK play WVU in Both Basketball and Football?

I wouldn't mind replacing West Virginia with Louisville on the schedule in football, but since we still play Louisville every season, a match-up between UK and WVU is highly unlikely, mostly because we play in the SEC and we face top 25 competition just about every weekend. If we had a stronger football program, then I wouldn't mind playing WVU, but we have a team that is on the bridge with either going to a bowl every season or not. To sum everything I've said up, we will take all the wins we can get from MAC, Sun Belt and D-II schools.

As for basketball, I'm up for playing anyone.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I wouldn't mind replacing West Virginia with Louisville on the schedule in football, but since we still play Louisville every season, a match-up between UK and WVU is highly unlikely, mostly because we play in the SEC and we face top 25 competition just about every weekend. If we had a stronger football program, then I wouldn't mind playing WVU, but we have a team that is on the bridge with either going to a bowl every season or not. To sum everything I've said up, we will take all the wins we can get from MAC, Sun Belt and D-II schools.

As for basketball, I'm up for playing anyone.

surely we could replace one of those schools with West Virginia and still get enough wins to make it to a bowl game each year?
Strikeout King Wrote:surely we could replace one of those schools with West Virginia and still get enough wins to make it to a bowl game each year?

@ Louisville
WKU
Akron
@ Florida
@ Ole Miss
Auburn
South Carolina
Georgia
@ Miss. State
Charleston Southern
Vanderbilt
@ Tennessee

I see 3 (WKU, Akron, CSU) for sure wins on that schedule and you need 6 to become bowl eligible. I also see 9-10 possible wins, as this is probably the weakest conference schedule we've had in years. So all-in-all, I think Joker would rather have 3 for sure wins, rather than 2 for sure's and two 50/50 games.
^ True
If WVU gets an SEC invite, then we will probably be playing home and home every year. :redboxer:
PC_You_Know Wrote:I reckon he averaged almost 20 mins/game in the playoffs. I think you were referring to his minutes per quarter in the playoffs.

Only because the Magic was sweeping the teams in the first few rounds.. How many did he average in the Boston series? Confusedhh::eyeroll:
Ballers Wrote:Only because the Magic was sweeping the teams in the first few rounds.. How many did he average in the Boston series? Confusedhh::eyeroll:

Every time you're wrong you come up with something else to say, and it makes less sense than the first thing you said. You should just quit the first time you're wrong.
Ahh its ok.. Your stumped I understand.
Ballers Wrote:Ahh its ok.. Your stumped I understand.

Thank you for proving my point. You also can't spell.
Aslan Wrote:UK has the better basketball program, WVU better football.

:Thumbs:
Ballers Wrote:Only because the Magic was sweeping the teams in the first few rounds.. How many did he average in the Boston series? Confusedhh::eyeroll:

Again, if you go here, you will see his minutes.

Game 1- 19:02
Game 2- 34:08
Game 3- 25:47
Game 4- 33:11
Game 5- 22:06
Game 6- 23:08

he actually played more in the Boston Series then the 1st two series.
NYY10 Wrote:Again, if you go here, you will see his minutes.

Game 1- 19:02
Game 2- 34:08
Game 3- 25:47
Game 4- 33:11
Game 5- 22:06
Game 6- 23:08

he actually played more in the Boston Series then the 1st two series.

LOL....there's no getting anywhere with that guy.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I don't have kids yet. If I did... I could only imagine that the backseat of a long car ride would sound eerily like the way this thread does.HAHA

This thread just proves that football season needs to hurry up and get here so all of us UK fans can be happy with our 7 win season, our obligatory upset of a team we shouldn't beat, and our close losses to teams we blow the game against. After our annual "how the heck did we lose that game to Tennessee" moment, many UK fans will instantly forget football and turn their focus to arguing why UK should be #1 in every conceivable pre-season basketball poll known to man. This will also be about the time theVille comes out of his hybernation (known as football season) and stirs up emotions.

It will also allow Dangerousdan to focus on what he loves the most: burning couches, winning 9 games in the Big East, and pondering on the possibilities that could allow RichRod to return. As he celebrates his 2nd Tier New Year's Day Bowl (which he will make sure to rub in UK's face as if it is the National Championship Game) he will start his memoires in which he will try to portray Coach Stewart as one of College Football All-Time Greats,a hidden less known fact about him only made public when he posts a thread with a stat about current head coaches in which he twists Stewart's numbers to resemble Saban, Meyer, Mack Brown, and all the other top coaches.

It would also allow the Duke fans to....well...... hmm.... geez....... I guess they will keep doing exactly what they are doing right now. Go Cutcliffe!

WVU did play football prior the 1980......

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/22274...efore-1980
PC_You_Know Wrote:LOL....there's no getting anywhere with that guy.

OK... So since in your alls eyes he gets so much playing time.. Then how come he's not doing a better job then he should be? I can promise you.. On any given day, watch a Magic game and see if he has 10 points. Most of the time he don't even get to play during the season.
He was ok in college, and sucks in the NBA.. Moving forward, and back to the topic.
I'm just going to reply here to dangerousdan's comment about UK's nonconference scheduling in football. One would think it goes without saying, but when your conference schedule is already a meat grinder, you're probably not going to have a bunch of powerhouses for your other games. That's why UK has Louisville (Big East school) and three lesser teams every year.

Now, WVU, that's a different story. Their non-conference schedule is tougher because quite frankly, it SHOULD be. The Big East is as soft as a down pillow, and WVU has to have some big boys from out-of-conference, if they want to play any at all. To be perfectly honest, the Big East's status as a BCS conference is tenuous at best, as one could easily make the argument that the Mountain West has surpassed them as the better conference. If UK played in the Big East, I would definitely expect them to have a stronger out-of-conference slate as well.

Look at it this way: even with all those OOC cupcakes, UK still has several top-level teams on tap this fall. Here are the respective schedules for each team:

UK----------------------WVU

Florida--------------------LSU
Georgia-------------------Pittsburgh
Auburn-------------------South Florida
Ole Miss------------------Cincinnati
South Carolina-------------Rutgers
Tennessee-----------------UConn
Miss. State----------------Maryland
Louisville------------------Louisville
Vanderbilt-----------------UNLV
Akron---------------------Syracuse
Western Ky----------------Marshall
Char. Sou.-----------------Coast. Car.

Which schedule would you rather have? UK's probably has more "easier" games at the bottom than WVU. But it is also very top-heavy with elite-level teams as well. Personally, I would take the schedule on the right.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I'm just going to reply here to dangerousdan's comment about UK's nonconference scheduling in football. One would think it goes without saying, but when your conference schedule is already a meat grinder, you're probably not going to have a bunch of powerhouses for your other games. That's why UK has Louisville (Big East school) and three lesser teams every year.

Now, WVU, that's a different story. Their non-conference schedule is tougher because quite frankly, it SHOULD be. The Big East is as soft as a down pillow, and WVU has to have some big boys from out-of-conference, if they want to play any at all. To be perfectly honest, the Big East's status as a BCS conference is tenuous at best, as one could easily make the argument that the Mountain West has surpassed them as the better conference. If UK played in the Big East, I would definitely expect them to have a stronger out-of-conference slate as well.

Look at it this way: even with all those OOC cupcakes, UK still has several top-level teams on tap this fall. Here are the respective schedules for each team:

UK----------------------WVU

Florida--------------------LSU
Georgia-------------------Pittsburgh
Auburn-------------------South Florida
Ole Miss------------------Cincinnati
South Carolina-------------Rutgers
Tennessee-----------------UConn
Miss. State----------------Maryland
Louisville------------------Louisville
Vanderbilt-----------------UNLV
Akron---------------------Syracuse
Western Ky----------------Marshall
Char. Sou.-----------------Coast. Car.

Which schedule would you rather have? UK's probably has more "easier" games at the bottom than WVU. But it is also very top-heavy with elite-level teams as well. Personally, I would take the schedule on the right.

:Thumbs:
Hey dangerousdaneer.. have to say that its pretty impressive that WV's showing in the final 4 this year was the first in 50 years.. to bad itll be another 50 years before they are in the NCAA tourney again.
Ballers Wrote:Hey dangerousdaneer.. have to say that its pretty impressive that WV's showing in the final 4 this year was the first in 50 years.. to bad itll be another 50 years before they are in the NCAA tourney again.

I will gladly take your bet that WVU won't be in the NCAA tourney for 50 years.
Ballers Wrote:Hey dangerousdaneer.. have to say that its pretty impressive that WV's showing in the final 4 this year was the first in 50 years.. to bad itll be another 50 years before they are in the NCAA tourney again.

I hope it is not another 50 years before WVU goes back to the Final Four. I am sure that Huggy will get them back there before too much longer.

BTW, UK has not been to a Sugar Bowl in some 60 years.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:I hope it is not another 50 years before WVU goes back to the Final Four. I am sure that Huggy will get them back there before too much longer.

Not a UK Football fan.. Couldn't tell you one player on the team.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I will gladly take your bet that WVU won't be in the NCAA tourney for 50 years.

Get a dictionary, look up sarcasm, and learn.
WVU May be able to make it to another elite 8 or multiple sweet 16s but I do not expect them be able to make it back to the final four anytime soon. Like this year many things would have to fall into place but I guess if anyone can make it happen Huggy Bear could. I do expect them to be competitive for years to come in the Big East. Good luck to the Mountaineers and I do hope that UK runs in to them again at some point just like the last two years.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:I hope it is not another 50 years before WVU goes back to the Final Four. I am sure that Huggy will get them back there before too much longer.

When was the last time WVU won the national title in football?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:When was the last time WVU won the national title in football?

We won as many national titles in football as you guys have won BCS bowl titles in football.......ZERO!!!!!

But, we did actually play for one in the last 20 years, but we lost to Notre Dame 35-21 in the 89 Fiesta Bowl. And the 13-9 loss to Pitt STILL hurts to this day some 3 years later.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:We won as many national titles in football as you guys have won BCS bowl titles in football.......ZERO!!!!!

But, we did actually play for one in the last 20 years, but we lost to Notre Dame 35-21 in the 89 Fiesta Bowl. And the 13-9 loss to Pitt STILL hurts to this day some 3 years later.

I think WV lost to ND in 1988.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I think WV lost to ND in 1988.

1989 Fiesta Bowl played 1/2/89 in Tempe, Arizona.

Notre Dame 35 West Virginia 21

WVU finished the 1988 regular season with a record of 11-0. First Mountaineer football team to ever win 11 games in a season.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:1989 Fiesta Bowl played 1/2/89 in Tempe, Arizona.

Notre Dame 35 West Virginia 21

WVU finished the 1988 regular season with a record of 11-0. First Mountaineer football team to ever win 11 games in a season.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Keby5O6I0&feature=related"]YouTube- 1988: ND vs. West Virginia[/nomedia]
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:

dangerousdaneer, I have to say that I can't give you kudo's for WVU athletics.. Only good thing about WVU is the shooters bar located near the UK line.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:We won as many national titles in football as you guys have won BCS bowl titles in football.......ZERO!!!!!

If you want to play that game. UK was co-national championship according to the NCAA's Past Football Bowl Subdivision National Champions Web site. But is is the same situation that a lot of schools have been in the past (there were 4 co-champions). Im sure WVU may have a situation like that.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]