Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley hires Greg Newsome
Per WYMT's Derek Forster's Twitter Page. Congrats Coach Newsome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
i believe you but are you for sure that its him...
Why would WYMT sports ancors post if on there sports page, and then tweet that they are headed down to SV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
All I have to say is WOW!!!
Not a surprise
yes it is official. greg has held practice the last two days with the boys. and derek forrest was at valleys practice today.
Congrats to Greg!! It is well deserved and he will be a fine coach for years!! I look for Valley to be back up to regular power in the 15th. Cant wait to see what Greg can do for the Wildcats.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats Coach Newsome. You will do a great job!!!
Congrats to Coach Newsome
Congradulations coach. He will do a great job. And I believe that my guess was correct! Good luck to coach and all the valley family!
Who is coach Newsome and where does he come from? What is his background?
Stardust Wrote:Who is coach Newsome and where does he come from? What is his background?

He coached Virgie middle school(Shelby Valley feeder), was an assistant coach at Valley the past few seasons, and I believe he and Robert Newsome coached the East KY Lightning AAU team that had Elisha, Ashley, Taylor, Tate Cox and others on it.
I know he won a state title for the Virgie team who included Ashley, Taylor, Tyler nad a few more. He's a great coach.
Greg Newsome knows basketball that's for sure.
Hes a very good coach, he knows what hes doing. I believe he will have valley there at the end. Look for some surprises by valley.
Stardust Wrote:Who is coach Newsome and where does he come from? What is his background?

he knows his basketball . He was one of the best point guards to hit the hardwood in the late 70s for The old Virgie High School, when they was winning. He played for Eugene Lyons and Maybe The KHSAA Hall of Famer Bobby Osborne. He coached VMS when they won the state championship and competed for the state championship . Valley made it to the state sweet sixteen for a few year but when Coach Booher got da man G. Newsom thangs changed and they went to the top. He and his friend Robert N. owned the AAU circuit for years. They Coached great talents on the AAU level like the Valley boys that are graduating this year, Tate Cox, Matt Clevenger from PIkeville, The Collins Twins from a few years back at June Buchanan, and several talented players over the years. And no doubt Valley would have had a few more transfers to come if Greg Would have been Coach a few years back. And now after the local kids sees his style of coaching "The Valley area may have a housing market Boom". Valley will be on top for several years to come . He can make winners out of walkons.

I see that others on here have already mentioned quite a bit about his background, but here's what I know.

- He was an assistant coach at SV for the last few years, including this past year's state champions.

- Before that he was head coach at Virgie Middle, which is one of SV's main feeder schools along with Dorton.

- He is the father of the recently graduated Tyler Newsome, one of the starters on this past year's SV team.

- He has an AAU background along with his brother, which is better explained by others on here.

- He has also coached football at Shelby Valley in the past.

- He is a local product who played basketball for SV precursor Virgie High School.

All in all, I think it is a great hire. Greg knows his basketball, and he will get the most from his players. I still expect a couple of down years in a rebuilding period for SV, but that is more a function of all the talent that just graduated, rather than a reflection on his coaching ability.

Good luck to coach Newsome and SV in the upcoming season!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
He was also the head football coach the last few years of Virgie High School, he was the head football coach for one season at SVHS.
Although Greg is a great coach the first two-three years will be rough, they just wont have the talent that they've had the past few seasons.
Congrats Newsome!!!!!!!!

I hope you can carry this mountain tradition on. But you dont have as much horsepower as before
I just don't see the need to use language at kids like he does. That's one thing I appreciated about Booher, I wasn't in the locker room. But you wouldn't see him curse at the kids on the floor. There is no call for that, kids respond just fine, sometimes better, without being cussed out.
You obviously haven't been around SV football the last several years if you are concerned with the language.
No, I haven't. There isn't a coach in America I believe that doesn't cuss out their football team. The closest I've seen on the field, when the camera is on him is Mike Tomlin, let's not turn this into a long debated Ben issue. But I think Tomlin is one of the classiest
coaches. I just said that Booher was a heck of a coach and at the divisional playoff game to watch the other team's coach cuss them, and they hung their head and acted like someone had beat the heck out of them, doesn't exactly fire them up or give them any self -esteem. Coach Calapari said when Cuz was drafted he was drafted to a team with a coach that could handle him. Every player is different, how you talk to them, even when discipline is in order. With Cuz he said you had to discuss with him what he was doing wrong, not yell at him from mid court to tell him what he was doing wrong. He said with Cuz, all he had fought for his whole life was respect, the anger came out in his game until he know longer needed to show it with anger, but his abilities on the floor. That began to happen, and now he makes alot of money for a job, not for fun, or when you want to. His numbers of games just tripled if he could go post-season. That is a lot for someone who played the amount he did in high school, then college, then the NBA. He is really going to be exhausted the end of this next season.
My opinion? Greg Newsome was the real coach these last few years, sure Booher had moments and got all the glory...but it would have to be Mr. Newsome who brought the boys to the wins they had last year. He had been coaching these boys since they were toddlers, he knows his basketball and has a general love for the sport. Coach Newsome knows the boys strengths and weaknesses and definitely knows how to work on them and build a strong team.

Congrats Mr. Newsome! (: