Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you pay at the pump...
If you pay at the pump be careful ... some places are charging you a dollar and not telling you... check your bank statement ... Speedway is one......

This is bad especiallly with all of the drive offs and them asking you to pay at the pump.
When I used my debit card at Speedway it said it was charging $1 while the charges was still in authorization but then it didn't end up taking it off my account
How can they do this? Is something like this legal? I would guess that it has to be since they do it.....hmmmmm
When you pay at the pump it charges a dollar and then in a few days it puts like $10 on there or something if you got that in gas. I went over on my bank account SOOOO many times because of this, so now I don't pay at the pump haha.
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:When I used my debit card at Speedway it said it was charging $1 while the charges was still in authorization but then it didn't end up taking it off my account

Mine does that too...lol
Thanks guys,I had never noticed that but I will now.Every dollar counts
I'm still confused? So that is just like a place holder until the total from the purchase is known or what?
Beef Wrote:I'm still confused? So that is just like a place holder until the total from the purchase is known or what?

Yes from what my bank tells me they authorize any sale at the pump for $1.00 then after you are finished they will correct it. So basically yes it is a place holder.
That is correct guys, when you pay at the pump, they authorize your card for one dollar, just to make sure it is a good account. After they run their transactions for the day, then it will come through your account for the correct amount.

They never actually charge you that dollar it is simply authorized for that price. What gets authorized on your account and what gets charged are completely seperate.
Shew....alright....sounds good :thumb:
I never pay at the pump, I just use cash its a lot easier...for me anyway..lol
98 maybe true at some gas stations but any gas station that uses a dial up modem is charging a dollar .... just like the crappy atm's inside convienance stores...

also something to be careful of is the fact that gas stations that use dial up modems are very vulnerable to identity theft ... anyone with a 900.000 scanner can get all of your credit card information from sitting in the parking lot of the gas station while you are paying at the pump...
thanks for the information guys, i dont drive yet, so that'll it had me worried about that extra dollar. seems theirs nothing to worry about ^_^
I always use cash.
I pay in cash as well.
I think I've paid at the pump one time and that was because all I had was my debit card and I didn't feel like walking inside.
i just pay inside