Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Profile: Ryle RB Travis Elliott
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...1/8150353/

It didn't take long for Ryle running back Travis Elliott to feel how tough it was to play varsity football as a freshman two years ago; it took even less time for him to show his own toughness right back. It's something he's done well ever since.

It was just after midnight on Aug. 1, 2008 when Elliott took a handoff in Ryle's Midnight Madness scrimmage when then-senior middle linebacker Jeremy Poe stood waiting for him in the hole. He delivered a blow that told Elliott how much different varsity football might just be.

Lo and behold though, Elliott popped right back to his feet and sprinted back to the huddle ready to go again. Ryle coach Bryson Warner said that action has become standard practice for Elliott ever since.

"When he gets hit and tackled, he's back up before the defender every time," said Warner. "It's almost like he says, 'You can knock me down, but you're not going to hurt me, and I'll be right back.' It's actually an amazing thing to watch."

Elliott, who said he's been bouncing quickly back up since Pee-Wee ball, hasn't gotten knocked down all that much in his first two seasons. He has rushed for 2,133 yards, including 1,600 yards and 24 touchdowns last season.

"I've never been intimidated running the ball," said Elliott. "As a freshman I was a little bit naive, and I was nervous, because I didn't really know what to expect and maybe that first hit told me what it was going to be like and I was ready for it after that. All I do is when I get the ball is just run as hard as I can to try to get to the end zone."

Warner brought Elliott along slowly as a freshman, giving him an average of 10 carries per game. He showed he could take the pounding and finished with 533 rushing yards. He also showed flashes of brilliance, including a touchdown run against Conner in a game that was televised by Fox Sports Ohio.

"He broke a couple of tackles, ran over one of their better players; it looked like an Earl Campbell-type run," said Warner. "We've watched the highlight a lot since then and (color analyst) Dave Lapham got all excited about that run."

Last season he showed he was ready to be not just a role player, but a star. On Ryle's first play from scrimmage in the season opener against Covington Catholic, he took a handoff and raced 80 yards for a touchdown.

"He was just 13 years old when he started playing for us as a freshman, so there was some risk involved," said Warner. "That's why we didn't overdo it with him; and then last year you could just see he was physically ready to do more."

Elliott has the right combination of power and speed and says he runs "out of anger." He'd just as soon try to run over a defender as run around them, and in the open field he's proven to be hard to catch thanks to a 4.58 40-yard dash time.

"He's got very deceptive speed," said Warner. "And he's never been caught from behind."

After playing at 180 pounds as a freshman and 190 pounds last season, Elliott has filled out to 210 pounds this season and says he feels stronger and faster than ever.

The one area Elliott must continue to improve, according to Warner, is hitting the hole quicker. Warner said he hoped to get the point home in a game against Dixie last season.

"I told him, 'If you miss the hole one more time, you're coming out of the game,' " said Warner. "And sure enough he misses the hole, breaks four tackles and scores a touchdown."

Said Elliott: "He kind of got in my face after I came back to the sideline, and it is something I know I need to work on."

Elliott provides the perfect complement to standout quarterback Conner Hempel, a Division I recruit, and will be used even more in the passing game this season than last year when he had 17 receptions.

"He's a great route runner," said Warner. "I think a lot of colleges will really like him because of his ability to not only run the ball, but catch it as well."

Elliott said he is just now receiving letters from schools, but his main interest is trying to help Ryle get deeper into the Class 6A playoffs after it lost in the second round a season ago.

His team-first attitude led to his biggest preseason honor - an election as a team captain.

"There's not one senior on this team that doesn't hold him in high regard," said Warner. "He's their leader. I've never seen anyone quite like Travis - he's just a tough, tough football player."