Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jason Booher (Shelby Valley)
I heard this isnt the only job Booher is interviewing for
If Booher plans on leaving, he should go ahead and tell his boys. If they go around and listen to these post and never know, they'll worry about it. Then, cause them to hate Booher.
Booher is one of the final two candidates for the Holmes position.

I'd say he's good as gone. He's already turned down the Bardstown position.

Look for a decision to be announced as early as this coming Monday or Tuesday.
Looking like Booher is getting that bigger shot. I just thought that he may hold off for a year or two and try to wait for a college position to open. This is a good move for Booher and his career. I think that he will be a fine fit.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Looking like Booher is getting that bigger shot. I just thought that he may hold off for a year or two and try to wait for a college position to open. This is a good move for Booher and his career. I think that he will be a fine fit.

I think Holmes' athletes could thrive in his system offensively and Defensively.

He'll unleash them offensively and allow them to run, while also bringing that defensive mindset that Coach Henley had.

I really like the move if it happens.
I wish Booher the best if so!
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
Booher will be back in the end!! I wish him the very best but I think he will be back at Valley.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I think Holmes' athletes could thrive in his system offensively and Defensively.

He'll unleash them offensively and allow them to run, while also bringing that defensive mindset that Coach Henley had.

I really like the move if it happens.

What his vaunted 2-3 zone where he teaches his guards to reach from behind? All I know is he better hope Bud Wimzie stays on the staff...That ring of his may catch the attention of the superintendent wanted to hire a "big name" but it doesn't get the kids' respect all on its own.

We'll see how the Mountains, 4/5 starters in FCA, and kids who still say "yes sir, no sir" prepare him for coaching in the city, where it is more about keeping the kids outta of trouble, off the street, outta bad circles of people, and in class.

1st order of business for the Holmes coach will be how to handle the Kevon Rice situation who will be their best player next yr not to mention it affects where his bro Dontell is gonna play.

We'll see, I'm not sold on this choice b/c he won the state title with the best team with the best draw.
The Private Wrote:Booher will be back in the end!! I wish him the very best but I think he will be back at Valley.

The only way Booher will be back is if Holmes doesn't give him the money he might want.

Considering the amount they were paying Coach Henley, I think the state championship game was the last time you'll see Jason Booher on the Shelby Valley bench
raviknows Wrote:What his vaunted 2-3 zone where he teaches his guards to reach from behind? All I know is he better hope Bud Wimzie stays on the staff...That ring of his may catch the attention of the superintendent wanted to hire a "big name" but it doesn't get the kids' respect all on its own.

We'll see how the Mountains, 4/5 starters in FCA, and kids who still say "yes sir, no sir" prepare him for coaching in the city, where it is more about keeping the kids outta of trouble, off the street, outta bad circles of people, and in class.

1st order of business for the Holmes coach will be how to handle the Kevon Rice situation who will be their best player next yr not to mention it affects where his bro Dontell is gonna play.

We'll see, I'm not sold on this choice b/c he won the state title with the best team with the best draw.

Now now now, what did we learn earlier in this thread? It's that Holmes' players are no different than the boys who played at Valley.
raviknows Wrote:What his vaunted 2-3 zone where he teaches his guards to reach from behind? All I know is he better hope Bud Wimzie stays on the staff...That ring of his may catch the attention of the superintendent wanted to hire a "big name" but it doesn't get the kids' respect all on its own.

1. Bud Wimzie will be back on the staff next year. It's already been arranged with the athletic director and superintendent, from what I hear.

2. What does living in the mountains have to do with replying with "yes sir, no sir?" You obviously didn't see the article from Holmes state championship run last year where the superintendent was personally notified by a random woman about how respectful the Holmes players were when she saw them in a restaurant. She was so impressed, she sent a letter not only to the CIPS superintendent, but also several newspapers around the state. Just because these kids are inner city doesn't mean they're disrespectful and anyone who knows next year's group of players will be the first to tell you they are all high character kids.

3. What do you mean by "Kevon Rice situation?" He will be the best talent on next year's team but he'll be surrounded with plenty of help and knows what he has to do to help the TEAM. As far as Dontel goes, he is more of a 2/3 type player. Kevon is a 3/4. With the recent emergence of 6'9 jr David Stephens, Rice will have help down low to keep the double teams away. I've also heard 6'4 Manny Nelson (younger brother of former Holmes player Josh Nelson) will be at Holmes next year which will take even more pressure off Kevon.

4. Best team with the best draw, or not, the experience is there and he runs the type of system that will get the kids excited to play for him. As long as Bud Wimzie is on the sidelines, I'm fine with Sullivan, Miller, or Booher being the next head coach. Only time will tell though.
Booher is very level headed off the court and is calm and cool on the sideline. Anyone who thinks he couldnt coach the inner city kids is wrong. Seems like a good fit for both parties and I certainly couldnt blame him for leaving for that opportunity.
5timechamp Wrote:Booher is very level headed off the court and is calm and cool on the sideline. Anyone who thinks he couldnt coach the inner city kids is wrong. Seems like a good fit for both parties and I certainly couldnt blame him for leaving for that opportunity.

:Thumbs:

He reminds me a lot of Coach Henley.

I know I questioned his scheduling at SV, but when it comes to basketball the guy knows his stuff which is proven by the ring he'll be sporting when he arrives at Holmes. (Assuming he is announced as the next head coach)
kywldcat01 Wrote::Thumbs:

He reminds me a lot of Coach Henley.

I know I questioned his scheduling at SV, but when it comes to basketball the guy knows his stuff which is proven by the ring he'll be sporting when he arrives at Holmes. (Assuming he is announced as the next head coach)

Kywldcat01 your not the only one who thinks that my friend...alotta of ppl i have been talking to have said the exact same thing this has to be a good hire for the bulldogs...i mean come on who good does this sound on your resume "2010 SWEET 16 CHAMPION"
I hope he goes, Good bye and good riddance.
kywldcat01 Wrote:when it comes to basketball the guy knows his stuff which is proven by the ring he'll be sporting

Correction, rings...
I really dont think he is that good of a coach. I mean look at his team this year. Anyone could have coached them. All he done was stand on the side line and let elisha control the team. But i hope he does leave valley.
Mr.cold Wrote:I really dont think he is that good of a coach. I mean look at his team this year. Anyone could have coached them. All he done was stand on the side line and let elisha control the team. But i hope he does leave valley.

So why weren't you coaching them?
blow booher up all you want. he is a good coach, but he's not a great coach. go back and watch film of any valley game. during timeouts, booher sits and talks to elisha, while greg newsome coaches the whole team. i've seen many valley games where they were up 35 in the 4th and starters still playing.

i can't say he's a bad coach, cause he has a ring. but he had a great supporting staff (greg newsome) , tons of support from the school (basketballs the only thing that school cares about) , and an amazing, rare, talented group of boys to make it happen. but the man sure can sell a t shirt :biggrin:
pumatime Wrote:blow booher up all you want. he is a good coach, but he's not a great coach. go back and watch film of any valley game. during timeouts, booher sits and talks to elisha, while greg newsome coaches the whole team. i've seen many valley games where they were up 35 in the 4th and starters still playing.

i can't say he's a bad coach, cause he has a ring. but he had a great supporting staff (greg newsome) , tons of support from the school (basketballs the only thing that school cares about) , and an amazing, rare, talented group of boys to make it happen. but the man sure can sell a t shirt :biggrin:

And yet somehow, he won a state title against teams who had much better talent. Maybe he can coach a little bit? And you know what, assistant coaches aren't just there for nothing.
the teams they beat, may have been more ATHLETIC. but i doubt they were always more talented, seeing as how valley came out being a state champ. there is a difference you know.

these special 5 have been elite competitors in the state even when they were in middle school before booher. i never said he was a bad coach, i just said he wasnt a great one. and yes assistant coaches arent for nothing. valleys proof. look at all greg did for that team.
PC_You_Know Wrote:[B]

And yet somehow, he won a state title against teams who had much better talent. Maybe he can coach a little bit? And you know what, assistant coaches aren't just there for nothing.

I watched every game of the Sweet 16 and I didn't see a team down there with better basketball talent than SV. Some teams had some players that could jump higher and had a little faster team speed.
Let's not forget that this group of young men won the state tournament in middle school as well, and that was without Elisha!
What was Coach Booher's record as a head coach before he came to Shelby Valley?
Hustle Wrote:I watched every game of the Sweet 16 and I didn't see a team down there with better basketball talent than SV. Some teams had some players that could jump higher and had a little faster team speed.
Let's not forget that this group of young men won the state tournament in middle school as well, and that was without Elisha!
What was Coach Booher's record as a head coach before he came to Shelby Valley?

All year long teams such as Holmes were touted to have amazing talent, so much better than Valley, and Scott County the same. Well Holmes didn't make it so Newport must have been world beaters. Nobody outside of EKY thought Valley was good until they won state. And now that Valley won state they're a good team? As soon as they won it was because of "team ball". Still nobody thought they were that good, when did they become the most talented team at state?
Booher just announced to his basketball players that he has accepted the job at Holmes. gratz Booher.
Booher will be at Holmes, so this thread should come to an end
PC_You_Know Wrote:[B]

I don't agree with you much, but definetly agree with you here as far as the assistant coach comment goes.

Booher will have just as much help at Holmes with Bud Wimzie, as he did at SV. Head Coaches lead teams, but they would be nothing without assistants.

Booher surrounded himself with knowledgable guys which is why the entire SV program ran so smoothly.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him work with the Holmes kids and Covington community.
ScottyDoesnt Know you are making no sense.. an NAIA job or D-III job.. lol
kywldcat01 Wrote:I don't agree with you much, but definetly agree with you here as far as the assistant coach comment goes.

Booher will have just as much help at Holmes with Bud Wimzie, as he did at SV. Head Coaches lead teams, but they would be nothing without assistants.

Booher surrounded himself with knowledgable guys which is why the entire SV program ran so smoothly.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him work with the Holmes kids and Covington community.

Amen to that! :Thumbs:
Platinum & Gold Wrote:ScottyDoesnt Know you are making no sense.. an NAIA job or D-III job.. lol

Alright. I guess you can disagree but Im pretty sure that Booher is looking to go up the coaching ladder. Making a leap from the high school game to the college game would happen at some point. Booher obviously felt that the best step was to showcase his style of ball in a bigger setting thus leading him to jump at this opportunity at Holmes. I am sure that in due time he will begin to make that ascent into the college game. (I just thought that he may have been about to see some offers coming in a few year for bigger challenges other than high school). Just an opinion.
[SIZE="4"]