Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Rivalries in the State?
I was thinking about the possibility of UK and Tenn in the finals and I thought about High School rivalries. I'm just wondering who all of you guys think are the biggest rivalries in KY High School Sports.
Estill County vs. Powell County
Trinity vs. St. X
Covington Holmes vs. Covington Catholic
Rockcastle County vs. Bell County (football only)
Somerset vs. Pulaski County

BUT if I had to pick one, it would be
Perry County Central vs. Hazard (basketball)
It got so bad they stopped these games from happening! :eek:
Shelby County vs. Anderson County is a huge rivalry around here. This year at the boys basketball game the Shelby County student section dressed up as rednecks like people from Anderson County. Every game is every sport between these two teams are always good.

Mercy/Assumption/Sacred Heart- HUGE volleyball rivals
St. Xavier vs. Trinity
Walton-Verona vs. Simon Kenton
Quote:BUT if I had to pick one, it would be
It got so bad they stopped these games from happening!
This is a heated rivalry and id have to say the biggest in the state imo....but i dont think it got bad enough to where PCC and Hazard had to stop playing each other in the regular season.I mean thats what a rivalry is all about intense basketball and school pep sections and fans screaming at each other until they go hoarse.I think the rule has been held long enough....PCC and Hazard need to meet in the regular season again...but if there is one positive that did come out of this rule its that when these to teams meet in a tournament game the players and fans are more rowdy and ready to go and its actually fun to watch and makes the game even better.
X vs T in everything

Mercy vs Assumption

Mercy vs Sacred Heart

Highlands vs Trinity is a war of words right now in football, claiming who is the best in state. Needs to be settled on the field.
Boyle Co. vs Danville
Lexington Cath. vs Boyle Co.
Boyle Co. vs Bell Co.

Those are 3 off top of my head.
I doubt many people know this, but East Ridge and Pikeville are slowly developing a rivalry. Every time these two teams have played in the past 3 years, the game has been an old fashioned barn burner.

But as far as top rivalries go, Hazard vs Perry County Central would be my top pick.
Bracken Co. vs. Augusta

East Carter vs. West Carter
lwc Wrote:Covington Holmes vs. Covington Catholic
:eek:

In what sport? Not a very big rivalry.

Now CovCath vs. that team from Ft. Thomas that's more of a rivalry
lwc Wrote:Trinity vs. St. X
Covington Holmes vs. Covington Catholic
Rockcastle County vs. Bell County (football only)
Somerset vs. Pulaski County

BUT if I had to pick one, it would be
It got so bad they stopped these games from happening! :eek:

Thats not just in Basketball. The Football, Soccer, Softball, Baseball, Wrestling games got cancelled. The Academic Teams even can't play lol.
Back in the late 90's early 2000's Paris and Bourbon County had a major football rivalry going on. You had Randy Reese who had won 3 state titles as a head coach vs. Dudley Hilton who had won 2 state titles at the time.