Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 58 Fairivew 57 (64 District Chamionship)
Final.
Fairview was playing without JD Adams who was home sick.
I think they missed Adams as much in terms of depth as anything else. By the start of the fourth quarter, Collins was gassed. He was pretty much carrying the load in terms of ball handling. Gunter played well for Fairview. He has come a long way over the last two seasons.

For Ashland, Whetsel kept the Tomcats in the game when they really needed a lift.
Final - 2/26
64th District Championship at Boyd Co. Middle

Fairview----23---7--11--16---57
Ashland-----15--14--16--13---58

Fairview: Collins 22, Jackson 13, Terry 10, Gunter 6 [SIZE=1](11 reb), Stai 6 (8 reb, 6 ast).[/SIZE]
Ashland: Skaggs 16, Whetsel 15, Withrow 11, Delaney 8, Gregg 6, Johnson 2.

-
---------------------------------------Pts
--------FG----3Pt-----FT----Reb---TO---Off---Fls
FVW---22/57---3/-7--10/16---48----20-----5----17
ASH---20/63---8/19--10/18---32-----9----18----17

Ties: 2 [SIZE=1](37, 53)[/SIZE]----Lead Changes: 3

=====

Thu 3/4 or Fri 3/5 (16th Region Quarterfinals at Morehead St. Univ.)
Fairview (21-7) vs. East Carter (19-5), Greenup Co. (16-12) or Rowan Co. (12-11)
Ashland (21-6) vs. Elliott Co. (19-6), Fleming Co. (15-11) or Lewis Co. (11-18)

=====

64th District All-Tournament Team

- Caleb Collins, Fairview
- Corey Gregg, Ashland

- Brent Jackson, Fairview
- Cody Miller, Boyd Co.
- Trey Salisbury, Boyd Co.
- Will Skaggs, Ashland

- Mike Terry, Fairview
- Ryan Whetsel, Ashland
- Cody Withrow, Ashland

- MVP: Will Skaggs, Ashland
Squid Wrote:I think they missed Adams as much in terms of depth as anything else. By the start of the fourth quarter, Collins was gassed. He was pretty much carrying the load in terms of ball handling. Gunter played well for Fairview. He has come a long way over the last two seasons.

For Ashland, Whetsel kept the Tomcats in the game when they really needed a lift.

Collins did look tired. He still managed to get a last second attempt for 3 off the front of the rim while being closely guarded on a fall away, 5 feet past the arc.

Ashland didn't waste any baskets again tonight, winning by a single point. I'm not complaining though, Ashland was lucky to win at all when you look at the rebounding stats- Fairview 48 Ashland 32.

The tourney bye had the Cats a little stale I thought, the 12-0 hole to start the game was hard for them to overcome. Making all that ground back up in the 1st half was key for the win this time. Ashland had enough left at the end to hold Fairview off, even though we only managed to run off 3 seconds on our last possession. Hated to see them get the ball back with 16.8 seconds left, that was a worry.
Congrats Tomcats
Squid Wrote:I think they missed Adams as much in terms of depth as anything else. By the start of the fourth quarter, Collins was gassed. He was pretty much carrying the load in terms of ball handling. Gunter played well for Fairview. He has come a long way over the last two seasons.

Congrats to the Tomcats! Great job even though every statistic indicates we should have lost we still managed to find a way to win.

It is what it is with Fairview. Adams always plays hard but I am hard pressed to state that he would have made a difference. Not a knock on the kid, good player, but for whatever reason howbeit to me Ashland has Fairview's number this year. It boils down to the fact that Fairview lacks a true point guard. Adams has incredible athletic ability and can get to the basket but his natural position is probably small forward. The Stai kid plays hard and has improved but still not a true point guard. Could you imagine Will Skaggs on Fairview's team?

Great effort by both teams and for the most part great sportsmanship.

On a side note, I am thrilled to see a Dentist, an Accountant, and a Doctor all converted to Maroonism...all that was missing was a Lawyer. Thanks guys for cheering for us! I failed to mention that the concession stand had plenty of tooth picks for getting the morsels of crow out of your teeth. From rollicking in blue suede shoes to enrobing the maroon...I still believe in miracles!

A three team district...thanks D.A.D.
Congrats Ashland
I must compliment the Independent for the coverage on the East/Elliott game, great job!
Just heard that Ashland will face Fleming but I haven't heard on what night. IF, they were to win that one they will very likely play East Carter.
Ashland Diomedes Wrote:On a side note, I am thrilled to see a Dentist, an Accountant, and a Doctor all converted to Maroonism...all that was missing was a Lawyer. Thanks guys for cheering for us! I failed to mention that the concession stand had plenty of tooth picks for getting the morsels of crow out of your teeth. From rollicking in blue suede shoes to enrobing the maroon...I still believe in miracles!

A three team district...thanks D.A.D.

You'll be happy to know that he has allready turned his back on RH.
Congrats to Coach Biggs and his staff. Good luck in the region
royal blueblood Wrote:You'll be happy to know that he has allready turned his back on RH.

I'm not happy either way and I am certainly not surprised.
Congrats Ashland :Thumbs:
Congrats to the Tomcats! Coach Biggs is a fine coach.
royal blueblood Wrote:You'll be happy to know that he has allready turned his back on RH.

If we are talking about the same person, he never really cared for Rose Hill at all. They were simply a tool that he could use to try to badmouth Ashland any way he could.

The Rose Hill fans that come to the games now are the REAL Rose Hill fans. The kids that stayed in the program need the support now, more than ever. Anyone that has a kid playing will automatically support the school that the kid plays for. That is natural. The people that have suddenly forgotten how to get to the gym at Rose Hill on Friday nights (that were wearing Rose Hill sweatshirts during the OJ days) - well, Rose Hill is better off without them darkening the doorway.
Exactly how i thought it would turn out and one of these two teams imo will win the 16th Region.
congrats to asland