Poll: Pick: Foul Or Not Foul????
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes Foul
0%
No Foul
100.00%
I Don't Know
0%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foul Or Not Foul???
whats everyone's OPINION on this:

if a Team Boys or Girls, is only down by 1 or 2 Points and 8 Seconds or more between the Shot Clock and Game Clock, in the closing seconds of the game, should the losing team foul or just take a chance of the other team missing a shot and giving the Losing Team a chance to win.

i think its stupid of the losing team to foul the winning team only down 1 or 2 with alot of time left to go, because if they make both free throws the game is over, unless they can score 5 in just a few seonds.
I'm assuming you are talking about college or pro? Look, YOU Cannot score if you don't have the ball. If you are losing, you have to get the ball somehow. If the other team is winning, it tells me you can't rely on your defense to get it back...........
Stardust Wrote:I'm assuming you are talking about college or pro? Look, YOU Cannot score if you don't have the ball. If you are losing, you have to get the ball somehow. If the other team is winning, it tells me you can't rely on your defense to get it back...........

Both. if there is 20 seconds to a Minute left on the Game Clock, and the shot clock is winding down, and your only down 1 or 2 i don't see why you would foul, id take my chances with my defense
Strikeout King Wrote:Both. if there is 20 seconds to a Minute left on the Game Clock, and the shot clock is winding down, and your only down 1 or 2 i don't see why you would foul, id take my chances with my defense

You original question was not clear. plus there is a big difference if there is one minute or 20 seconds. If it's 20 seconds, you foul. If there is one minute, you know you get the ball back with plenty of time.
Stardust Wrote:You original question was not clear. plus there is a big difference if there is one minute or 20 seconds. If it's 20 seconds, you foul. If there is one minute, you know you get the ball back with plenty of time.

reason i posted this is because South Carolina was down 60-59, with around a minute left and with about 34 Seconds on the game clock and 22 seconds on the shot clock they fouled, with plenty of time to call a time out and have a chance to win the game but they decided to foul
Stardust Wrote:You original question was not clear. plus there is a big difference if there is one minute or 20 seconds. If it's 20 seconds, you foul. If there is one minute, you know you get the ball back with plenty of time.

That was really EXACLY what I was going to say.
Gotta have the ball to win. Smile
How about this situation, you're up by 3, the other team is going to inbound the ball at halfcourt with around 4 seconds left, do you let them get the ball to their best 3-point shooter and take a chance on him missing, or do you foul him and make him earn it from the line?
^^I'd seen the foul more lately and it's more effective imo.
I could not really vote on this because in certain situations, I believe you should foul and in some cases you shouldn't foul, under 10 secs. and your down by 5 or more with a good free throw shooting team don't foul, but down by 1 under 5 secs foul every time so see it just depends on how many you are up or down after the team you foul makes 1 or 2 or misses both free throws. I have seen a lot of cases where a team A is down by 2 with under 15 secs left and foul team B, team B makes both foul shots and gos up by 4 but yet with about 10 secs left team A does not shoot a 3 they waste about 4 seconds driving the length of the floor to shoot a lay up that the other team gives them then in turn they waste a time out then team B inbounds the ball and they get fouled and go back down hit 2 more foul shots and go back up 4 now with only about 8 seconds left and as we all know there is no 4 point shot in basketball so i don't see the point in that strategy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PC_You_Know Wrote:How about this situation, you're up by 3, the other team is going to inbound the ball at halfcourt with around 4 seconds left, do you let them get the ball to their best 3-point shooter and take a chance on him missing, or do you foul him and make him earn it from the line?

You just got to watch when the foul occurs. If the official says the player was in the act of shooting then 3 free throws. And with 4 seconds on the clock I tell my player the if team B is playing close on the inbounds and steps to foul immediately shoot the ball. I saw this happen several years back in a regional high school tournament where a kid catches the ball on the side line near the opponents free throw line, gets fouled and throws the ball toward his basket and the official gave him 3 shots. The kid missed 1 free throw which gave team B the win.