Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Obama's administration looking into legality of BCS
Beetle01 Wrote:If anything the govt most definitely has a role in college sports. This is a group of tens of thousands of Americans who are ruled over by an organization without oversight, free to make whatever decisions they wish, fair or unfair because nothing can be done to them.

Student athletes are citizens also, and if our govt believes that there is an organization breaking the law they have every right, and the responsibility to look into it. How much federal money is given to colleges and universities each year?
The NCAA does not rule over thousands of Americans without oversight. College student-athletes are free to sign contracts with NCAA affiliated colleges, they are free to sign contracts with NAIA schools, and they are free to participate as a walk-on athlete if they are good enough to make a team.

Nobody is forcing anybody to play college sports in exchange for an (often dubious) education. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy tickets to NCAA games or to watch the games on TV.

I think that people who do not like the way the NCAA is run should vote with their feet. The NCAA produces a good product and provides an education to thousands of young men and women who might otherwise not get such an opportunity.

There are many NCAA rules with which I disagree but I have absolutely no confidence in Republicans or Democrats designing anything as complicated as a college football playoff system. As I said before, they have screwed up enough already. Let them fix those mistakes before they start tinkering around with a system that works.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The NCAA does not rule over thousands of Americans without oversight. College student-athletes are free to sign contracts with NCAA affiliated colleges, they are free to sign contracts with NAIA schools, and they are free to participate as a walk-on athlete if they are good enough to make a team.

Nobody is forcing anybody to play college sports in exchange for an (often dubious) education. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy tickets to NCAA games or to watch the games on TV.

I think that people who do not like the way the NCAA is run should vote with their feet. The NCAA produces a good product and provides an education to thousands of young men and women who might otherwise not get such an opportunity.

There are many NCAA rules with which I disagree but I have absolutely no confidence in Republicans or Democrats designing anything as complicated as a college football playoff system. As I said before, they have screwed up enough already. Let them fix those mistakes before they start tinkering around with a system that works.

So either the student athletes should make the sacrifice by not accepting scholarships to schools they may love? They should pass up a free education? The fans should not go to games to make a statement? The only people who suffer then are the schools, players, and programs. So apparently everyone should make a sacrifice to try and make a statement, instead of the NCAA changing their ways?

Once again, if the govt believes the NCAA is breaking the law they should just ignore it?
Beetle01 Wrote:So either the student athletes should make the sacrifice by not accepting scholarships to schools they may love? They should pass up a free education? The fans should not go to games to make a statement? The only people who suffer then are the schools, players, and programs. So apparently everyone should make a sacrifice to try and make a statement, instead of the NCAA changing their ways?

Once again, if the govt believes the NCAA is breaking the law they should just ignore it?
Specifically which laws are the NCAA breaking? What law requires an organization to hold a playoff?

It is not Congress' job to enforce the law. Congress is our legislative branch. If federal laws are being broken, then some branch of Obama's administration is responsible for enforcing the law.

The NCAA is not a charity. Love them or hate them, the bottom line is that the NCAA exists to provide entertainment for the masses. Just as the Romans used circuses, gladiators, and lion feedings to keep the public from worrying so much about the corruption of their government, sports are nothing more than a diversion in our nation.

Obama and other Washington politicians would love for people to be glued to their TVs to watch NCAA officials getting grilled while trillions of dollars are being borrowed and blown to keep the ones doing the grilling in power.

It makes no sense to waste time and money conducting a federal witch hunt of the NCAA when our country as we know it is being stolen from us.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Specifically which laws are the NCAA breaking? What law requires an organization to hold a playoff?

It is not Congress' job to enforce the law. Congress is our legislative branch. If federal laws are being broken, then some branch of Obama's administration is responsible for enforcing the law.

The NCAA is not a charity. Love them or hate them, the bottom line is that the NCAA exists to provide entertainment for the masses. Just as the Romans used circuses, gladiators, and lion feedings to keep the public from worrying so much about the corruption of their government, sports are nothing more than a diversion in our nation.

Obama and other Washington politicians would love for people to be glued to their TVs to watch NCAA officials getting grilled while trillions of dollars are being borrowed and blown to keep the ones doing the grilling in power.

It makes no sense to waste time and money conducting a federal witch hunt of the NCAA when our country as we know it is being stolen from us.

Now, this just in: Obama's interest in NCAA football playoff actually a plan to distract voters... millions upon millions mindlessly watch NCAA execs questioned as their houses and cars and possessions, and, gasp, very essential liberties, looted by jack booted thugs chanting, "Playoff, Playoff, Playoff."
thecavemaster Wrote:Now, this just in: Obama's interest in NCAA football playoff actually a plan to distract voters... millions upon millions mindlessly watch NCAA execs questioned as their houses and cars and possessions, and, gasp, very essential liberties, looted by jack booted thugs chanting, "Playoff, Playoff, Playoff."
Another pointless post, which responds to none of the points that I raised.

If you review my posts, you will see that I hold Orin Hatch equally responsible for this attempt to distract voters. Hearings that involve the testimony of athletes and other celebrity provide committee members free publicity and neither party's hands are clean.

You are probably too young to remember the hearings that Congressional Democrats held in 1985 concerning the plight of American farmers. Instead of inviting real farmers to testify, Democrats invited actresses who played farmers' wives in hit movies. Republican members of the committee were not invited to the hearing. This really happened and the chairman of the commttee at the time was none other than Tom Daschle.

Farm actresses Lange, Fonda, Spacek testify for Congressional Democrats

Political three-ring circuses were wrong then and they are wrong now. Obama and Hatch should be embarrassed for even considering such hearings.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Another pointless post, which responds to none of the points that I raised.

If you review my posts, you will see that I hold Orin Hatch equally responsible for this attempt to distract voters. Hearings that involve the testimony of athletes and other celebrity provide committee members free publicity and neither party's hands are clean.

You are probably too young to remember the hearings that Congressional Democrats held in 1985 concerning the plight of American farmers. Instead of inviting real farmers to testify, Democrats invited actresses who played farmers' wives in hit movies. Republican members of the committee were not invited to the hearing. This really happened and the chairman of the commttee at the time was none other than Tom Daschle.

Farm actresses Lange, Fonda, Spacek testify for Congressional Democrats

Political three-ring circuses were wrong then and they are wrong now. Obama and Hatch should be embarrassed for even considering such hearings.

Uh, Hoot, my post speaks directly to your meandering down the "keep 'em distracted" lane. I'm not sure hearings into steroid use are a three ring circus. Young athletes were using them. It may have been an important and symbolic statement about steroid use. Also, and while I agree with you to a degree, actors/actresses often study hard for roles they play, often identify with the issues involved in the films, thus, while it is foolish to assume an actor or athlete's voice lends credence to claims, it is perhaps equally uncharitable to suggest they know nothing about anything but being in movies or playing in games.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Specifically which laws are the NCAA breaking? What law requires an organization to hold a playoff?

Perhaps you should read the first line of the OP.

The NCAA does not exist to provide entertainment. Maybe one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. The NCAA exists to manage college athletics, keep them fair, and make sure all teams play by the rules, and participants play by the rules.

It is also a representative of participating Colleges and Universities, in that it helps maintain and negotiate TV contracts. However, conference committees are beginning to take over most of that role other than any type of national post season. ie: NCAA tourney, and BCS bowls.

Once again it is not a distraction or anything for a few low level Justice Department guys to take a look into the legality of the BCS. I dont know exactly which laws they may be breaking I dont have a law degree, and even if I did I doubt I would know which specific law they could be breaking.
I don't believe for a minute that the NCAA powers that be have as a real motive the fear that players will not do as well academically if there is a playoff. "It's all about the money, boys."
Beetle01 Wrote:Perhaps you should read the first line of the OP.

The NCAA does not exist to provide entertainment. Maybe one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. The NCAA exists to manage college athletics, keep them fair, and make sure all teams play by the rules, and participants play by the rules.

It is also a representative of participating Colleges and Universities, in that it helps maintain and negotiate TV contracts. However, conference committees are beginning to take over most of that role other than any type of national post season. ie: NCAA tourney, and BCS bowls.

Once again it is not a distraction or anything for a few low level Justice Department guys to take a look into the legality of the BCS. I dont know exactly which laws they may be breaking I dont have a law degree, and even if I did I doubt I would know which specific law they could be breaking.
And asking an administration that is planning trillion dollar budget deficits as far as the eye can see to get address the BCS system is one of the dumbest things that I have heard. It is that kind of thinking that is undermining our nation's long term viability.

Obama and his Justice Department have done enough damage. The last thing we need is for the man who decided to Mirandize the crotch bomber after a 50-minute interrogation and to try Khalid Sheik Mohammed in NYC to decide the fate of the BCS.