Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daily Independent's Starting 5 for 16th Region
Just finished reading the Daily Independents All-star starters for the 16th region. Pretty good selections overall. If I was a coach of a 16th region team I would be very happy to have any of these girls on my squad. The only switch I would make is Chelsea Dietrich at point guard. Kayla Day is an excellent overall ball player and an excellent scorer, not doubt about that. But, if I want a true point guard running the show I'll take Dietrich. There is no way that Ashland is a top 3 team in the 16th region without her. If you are lucky enough to have seen her play you will soon realize that she is the leader of Blazer's team. She not only unselfishly distributes the ball but is also an excellent on-ball defender. When it comes to clutch time, she is the one you want with the ball as either a scorer or a passer. She is the definition of grit and hustle. She leaves it all out on the court everytime she plays.
Skip Pass Wrote:Just finished reading the Daily Independents All-star starters for the 16th region. Pretty good selections overall. If I was a coach of a 16th region team I would be very happy to have any of these girls on my squad. The only switch I would make is Chelsea Dietrich at point guard. Kayla Day is an excellent overall ball player and an excellent scorer, not doubt about that. But, if I want a true point guard running the show I'll take Dietrich. There is no way that Ashland is a top 3 team in the 16th region without her. If you are lucky enough to have seen her play you will soon realize that she is the leader of Blazer's team. She not only unselfishly distributes the ball but is also an excellent on-ball defender. When it comes to clutch time, she is the one you want with the ball as either a scorer or a passer. She is the definition of grit and hustle. She leaves it all out on the court everytime she plays.

I agree 100 percent. Anyone that saw the game between Ashland and Fairview at the beginning of the year could see that Dietrich is the better player. While Day may score lot of points it is on a lot of shots as well and she benefits from a much easier schedule as will. Day is a good player but Dietrich does more for a better team against tougher competition night in and night out.
Day was more or less forced into the point guard spot. Dietrich is a natural point guard. I'd have Dietrich at the one and either Day of Ferguson would be great two-men because they both have scorer's mentalities, which is a good thing for their particular teams.
Dietrich is a better all around player than Day or Ferguson, her defense is outstanding as well. JMO, thats all.
Not Ferguson. JMO.
HD28 Wrote:Not Ferguson. JMO.

I thnk we've tossed this around before and IMO I don't think one player (Dietrich or Ferguson) is any better than the other, just 2 very different types of players that bring different things to the table. Just depends on what a coach needs. I do know one thing for sure, I'd be ticked to death to have either of these 2 on my team (or even better both of them - what a guard combo that would make)
We have tossed this around, and we agree both are fine players. My post was in response to the post just before mine.
HD28 Wrote:We have tossed this around, and we agree both are fine players. My post was in response to the post just before mine.

And that is the wonderful thing about this message board; we can all state our opinions on here.
Has anybody seen the Mullins girl play that is listed as a reserve for menifee?