Poll: Who wins semi's?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Beechwood Tigers
64.71%
Mayfield Cardinals
35.29%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beechwood @ Mayfield 11/27
Thoughts and predictions?

After Mayfields close win last night I honestly can't predict a winner between these two
Beechwood by 14+. This Tiger team impresses me more than their champsionship team from last year. They went out this year and had a killer schedule against some of the best big schools around. They took their lumps and have came back and destroyed "A" competiton. Bellevue could have competed with any "A" team in the state at the end of the year, adn Beechwood smoked them. The Tigers on well on their way to a Repeat!
Beechwood by 13
I accidentaly got the date wrong for the game, it's not on the 26th but the 27th
beechwood moves to the finals
http://www.kypost.com/content/sportsands...B8Qlg.cspx

Article from KY Posts from their game last night
Mayfield struggled last night with a running QB and Beechwood brings more of the same. I think Mayfield is faster and will score some but my concern is Beech O VS May defense. The Cards have also had way to many penalities the last 2 weeks and did not right the ship last night until the 4th Q. If they preform like that this week they will be getting out the basketballs. Beechwood has also played a tougher schedule thiugh they did not fair so well but appear to be a much improved team over the one that took their lumps early.
Mayfield has never lost to Beechwood and I do not see that changing this week if the Cardinals play 4 quarters and eliminate the penaltys
I'm gonna say Beechwood, but it will be close.
Mayfield will give Beechwood all they want. Trust me
Mayfield is my preseason pick to make it to the title game. I am going to say Mayfield in this one 24-14.
Mayfield because they are playing at home.
the watcher Wrote:Thoughts and predictions?

After Mayfields close win last night I honestly can't predict a winner between these two

Dont let the Mayfield/Crittenden game fool you. Crittenden is a good team. They only had 3 losses on the season. 2 to Mayfield and 1 to Murray who only lost one game this year (last night to Ft. Campbell). And they came to play last night. Mayfield played horrible for 3 quarters, but still came out with the win. I know Beechwood is fast, but Mayfield has tremendous team speed and an offense that has numerous playmakers. If Mayfield's Defense plays well, they will take it by 3 or more scores. Personally, I can see this one being a shootout with two explosive and fast offenses.
I'll take Mayfield by a touchdown.

Best of luck to both!
rednblack Wrote:Dont let the Mayfield/Crittenden game fool you. Crittenden is a good team. They only had 3 losses on the season. 2 to Mayfield and 1 to Murray who only lost one game this year (last night to Ft. Campbell). And they came to play last night. Mayfield played horrible for 3 quarters, but still came out with the win. I know Beechwood is fast, but Mayfield has tremendous team speed and an offense that has numerous playmakers. If Mayfield's Defense plays well, they will take it by 3 or more scores. Personally, I can see this one being a shootout with two explosive and fast offenses.

3 or more scores? Wow that's a pretty bold statement. I could see Lexington Christian possibly beating Beechwood by 3 or more scores, but not Mayfield.

I think the Beechies will really surprise you if you think Mayfield is 3 td's better.

Mayfield has played no where near the schedule that Beechwood has played this year and I think that will be the difference Friday night. When I saw Beechwood against Bellevue friday, they played the most physical game I've ever seen a Beechwood team play.

I'll take the Tigers in a close one:

Beechwood 34
Mayfield 28

MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Mayfield has never lost to Beechwood and I do not see that changing this week if the Cardinals play 4 quarters and eliminate the penaltys

These two have only met once in the past ten years (02 state championship won by Mayfield 14-7), so I wouldn't really put too much stock in to Beechwood never beating Mayfield.

This isn't one of your traditional playoff rivalries as of late.
Mayfield beat Beechwood in 95 and 02. It doesnt mean anything now except 2 state championships for us.
kywldcat01 Wrote:3 or more scores? Wow that's a pretty bold statement. I could see Lexington Christian possibly beating Beechwood by 3 or more scores, but not Mayfield.

I think the Beechies will really surprise you if you think Mayfield is 3 td's better.

Mayfield has played no where near the schedule that Beechwood has played this year and I think that will be the difference Friday night. When I saw Beechwood against Bellevue friday, they played the most physical game I've ever seen a Beechwood team play.

I'll take the Tigers in a close one:

Beechwood 34
Mayfield 28

These two have only met once in the past ten years (02 state championship won by Mayfield 14-7), so I wouldn't really put too much stock in to Beechwood never beating Mayfield.

This isn't one of your traditional playoff rivalries as of late.

The key to that statement is whether or not Mayfield's D plays a good game. If they cant contain the Beechwood QB, it will be a shootout, if they do contain him, Mayfield will win big. Or course Turnovers will be huge in this game as well, like any game at this stage in the playoffs.
With 18 state title between these two teams. This game will be one of the games to watch this weekend.
Mayfield 24 Beechwood 14
Beechwood, and LCA in the state finals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Mayfield 28

Beechwood 14
Who is Mayfields playmaker?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Who is Mayfields playmaker?

Mayfield has several, not a playmaker as such, These 2 are the stat leaders

X Shelton WR

T Murrell RB
KICKOFF is set for 6pm CST, 7PM EST
This will be a great game. I guess it will come down as to who can keep from turning the ball over.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Beechwood may not have faired well going against the big school teams this year but Coach Nash used that to build them up for this game and next weekend. Look for Vocke to have another big game for the Tigers as the win by 14.
I'm going to predict Mayfield. I know Beechwood is a very good 1A team, but unless Collisimo is back, I think Beechwood may struggle. Both Vocke and Rigdon are fast and elusive, but neither is a power back. For Beechwood to fully utilize their offense they need the power aspect.
who is coach Nash?
http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/art...n+regional

Cameron Vocke knew he would have to step up in the absence of senior running back Joe Colosimo.

Colosimo, sidelined by a knee injury from the week before, would not be available for Beechwood's Class 1A football playoff game against Bellevue.

But Vocke, a sophomore averaging nearly six yards per carry for 368 yards total coming in, was ready for the challenge.

Vocke rushed for 175 yards on 15 carries to help the Tigers defeat the rival Tigers of Bellevue, 41-20 in the Region 2 final Nov. 20 in Fort Mitchell.

The red Tigers (9-4) travel more than 300 miles to play Mayfield (12-1) in a state semifinal Nov. 27. The winner plays either Lexington Christian or Hazard in the state final Dec. 5 in Bowling Green.

Vocke had three touchdowns, including a combination of ballet and wrestling in the third quarter, as he tiptoed the sideline and dragged a tackler into the endzone to make it 35-7.

"It's fun," Vocke said. "We played hard. It was a good win. I knew it was going to be hard, filling big shoes. Joe Colosimo is good."

The Tigers started off strong, going 81 yards from the opening kickoff to score on a run by senior quarterback Matt Rigdon, who also topped 100 yards on the night.

On Beechwood's second possession, Rigdon threw a "pick six" to Bellevue's Alex Hegge, who returned the pass 30 yards, with the PAT tying at 7.

Vocke answered right back with a 69-yard touchdown run, and then scored from 10 yards out to make it 21-7.

Bellevue tried to get back in the game, going for it on fourth-and-short in Beechwood territory. The red Tigers stopped the play, and on the next play Rigdon connected with Jacob Maus for a 47-yard touchdown to give Beechwood a 28-7 halftime lead.

Beechwood had won the teams' regular season meeting, 20-8, on a wet, muddy track on Bellevue's grass field.

This one, played on a cold but dry night on Beechwood's artificial turf, seemed to favor Beechwood's speed as the red Tigers rushed for 355 yards.

"Our speed is tough to compete with," Beechwood head coach Noel Rash said. "The moves they make were pretty special and you can't do that on that nasty surface. It turned out to be a difference-maker."

Rash praised Vocke for stepping up in the absence of Colosimo, who may be able to return for the state semifinal.

"He's a very blessed soul," Rash said of Vocke. "He's just a playmaker and he's that way on defense, too. He's a very talented kid and a great team guy. He loves this team. He doesn't care if he gets one carry or 30."

Beechwood, with a young starting lineup containing many sophomores and juniors, lost its four games to bigger area schools this season. The Tigers, going for their third straight state title, have not lost to a Class A team since the second round of the 2006 playoffs.

Bellevue head coach Dave Eckstein praised Rash's handling of a younger team.

"This is the best job Noel Rash has done coaching," Eckstein said. "Obviously they have talent, but he has really coached this team into a potential state championship team. Not a lot of people expected that."

Mayfield, who beat Beechwood in the 2002 state final, has a balanced offense that averages 42 points per game. The Cardinals rallied for a 31-28 win over Crittenden County in the Region 1 final.
Mayfield by 6
This is going to be a classic matchup, and my outcome pick will be strongly Beechwood by 1 point.