Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals coach's wife dies
The Bengals announced Friday morning that Vikki Zimmer, the wife of defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, passed away on Thursday in Cincinnati. The death appears to be sudden as there was no word or prior history with a long-term illness.

“We are stunned and saddened to learn of Vikki’s passing,” said Bengals president Mike Brown. “She was a warm and popular person in the Bengals family, and our immense respect and affection for Mike makes this especially hard. Our hearts go out to Mike and his family.”

Said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis in a statement: “Mike is part of our Bengals family, and we’ll support him in every way we can. We will dearly miss Vikki. She was a friend to all of us, and a big supporter of Mike’s players. Her thoughtfulness to them in so many ways will also be greatly missed.”

Vikki Zimmer was beloved by the team and the defensive players. She routinely baked cookies for the players, which Mike Zimmer would bring in to unit meetings. That was shown late during one of the episodes of “Hard Knocks: Training Camp”.

“Mike tells me, ‘Those kids work so hard and so long. They really like it when you make them that stuff,’ ” Vikki Zimmer told Bengals.com about the cookies. “They’re worried about putting on weight, so I want to make it a little bit healthy but he tells me they destroy whatever it is no matter what they say.”

Funeral arrangements are incomplete. It is also not known at this time whether Zimmer will coach Sunday’s game at Baltimore.

The Zimmers were married for 27 years, with two daughters and a son. Adam Zimmer is a defensive assistant with New Orleans.

Vikki Zimmer was born in Layton, Utah. She and Mike met during his coaching tenure at Weber State University in Ogden, Utah (1981-88).

Mike Zimmer, a 10-year defensive coordinator in the NFL, is in his second season with the Bengals.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009...e-bengals/
wow, thats sad
Very sad.... my thoughts and prayers go out to the Coach and his family.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091...eavy+heart

He's still the fiery and determined defensive coordinator, but the last month has been difficult for Mike Zimmer.

While he has called three great defensive games, including two against Baltimore, Zimmer has continued to press on despite the death of his wife, Vikki, who passed away on Oct. 8 from natural causes.

Even after Zimmer's defense confounded the Ravens again in a 17-7 victory on Sunday, the excitement of the wins has been muted a little from the events of last month.

"The wins are not nearly as good now," said Zimmer on Monday. "We beat Chicago (two weeks ago), played pretty good on defense that game. I go home and it was actually a hard day because I go home and I'm there.

"Like yesterday we beat Baltimore. Everyone's excited and I'm excited but it's not the same excitement. I'm more concerned about how Adam is doing and the girls (Marki and Corri) are doing. I'm happy that we won, just not as ecstatic. Those are the things that I notice."

While still preparing game plans and breaking down game films, Zimmer said he finds himself "doing a little less football stuff and more dad stuff." That can mean quickly returning a call or text from one of his daughters instead of waiting until after work or something like driving a little bit slower on the way to and from the office.

During the Bengals bye week, Zimmer went to visit his daughters in Dallas and Adam in New Orleans, where he is a defensive assistant for the linebackers with the Saints. The off week allowed Zimmer a chance to get away after the three hectic weeks on and off the field following his wife's death and put some things in focus.

"It helped me realize that I have to help my family more than what I am," Zimmer said. "I went to Dallas and saw my two daughters and realized that I have to help them more than what I did. Then we went to New Orleans and saw Adam and realized it's tough on him, maybe more so than I anticipated it would. He used to call Vikki every night on his way home from work. The girls, I'll call them and the one is just crying like crazy on the phone and I'll ask what's wrong and she'll say 'I'm sad.' Those things kind of helped me realize I've got to do better with them."

The players have also taken it upon themselves to look after Zimmer too, stopping into his office to say hello or just ask how things are going.
Yeah..I can count the times Ive rooted for the Bengals on one hand (minus three fingers) but when I heard about Zimmers wife passing away, I couldnt help but throw an "Attaboy" his way when they won the game that Sunday. The guy is a heck of a coach, and he'll be in my thoughts and prayers throughout the season..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Likewise...Just seems like a classy guy and have all the respect for him and his positive outlook through his tough times!
sorry to hear hate that on anybody