Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Finals Teams Previous Appearances (A MUST READ)
Here is a list of all of the teams who are playing this weekend at Papa John's and their previous record in state championship games along with year, class, opponent, score, coach bio, and a preview.

Mayfield (11-3)

2002 A W 14-7 over Beechwood
1998 A L 27-6 vs Middlesboro
1995 A W 28-27 over Beechwood
1993 AA W 13-12 over Prestonsburg
1992 AA L 34-7 vs Danville
1991 AA L 17-14 vs Danville
1989 AA L 7-3 vs Danville
1987 AA L 24-23 vs Danville
1986 AA W 21-20 OT over Newport Catholic
1985 AA W 18-8 over Newport Catholic
1978 AA W 22-6 over Somerset
1977 AA W 14-13 over Corbin
1976 AA L 6-0 vs Corbin

Coach Bio: Coach Joe Morris has only one previous Finals appearance in a win in 2002 for Mayfield over Beechwood

Conclusion: All-time record in State Final Games is 7-6. 7-2 if you discount Sam Harp and the Ads of Danville. Mayfield would have a legimate shot at 11 state championships had Danville not played up in class for so many years.

Newport Central Catholic (12-2) (I'm going to apologize for any misunderstanding right off the bat with this one. The KHSAA has 2 teams listed, Newport Catholic, and the newer Newport Central Catholic. I'm sure 98NCCalum will be able to verify this for me, but apparently there was some change in the school at some point that added Central to the name, but since the names are so close and both under the regime of Bob Schneider, I'll be counting State Finals games for both Newport Central Catholic AND Newport Catholic)

2001 A L 14-13 vs Danville
2000 A L 23-9 vs Danville
1986 AA L 21-20 OT vs Mayfield
1985 AA L 18-8 vs Mayfield
1984 AA W 12-7 over Fort Knox

Coach Bio: Coach Bob Schneider has been a mainstay over the years for Newport Catholic and Newport Central Catholic. All of their Finals appearance have been under Coach Schneider as he has a 1-4 record in the Finals just as his team does.

Conclusion: All-time Finals Record is 1-4. Also ran into the buzz saw known as Sam Harp and the Ads of Danville. I really expected more appearances from the 'Breds under the great Bob Schneider.

A Championship Preview

There will be a new champion in A this season. Both teams have plenty of playoff and Finals experience. Mayfield and Newport Catholic have met twice in previous Finals experience. Mayfield won both meetings. Both times it was Coach Jack Morris over Coach Bob Schneider. This year it will place veteran Coach Bob Schneider against Joe Morris (Maybe a son or close relative of former Mayfield Coach Jack Morris possibly?)

No common opponents

Owensboro Catholic (13-1)

2004 AA L 28-21 vs Belfry
1997 AA L 39-28 vs Bourbon County

Coach Bio: Coach John Edge has only 1 previous Finals appearance. That appearance would be Owensboro Catholic's loss last season in the Finals to Belfry.

Conclusion: All-time record in State Final games is 0-2. But, Owensboro Catholic is one of only 2 returning state finalists from last year (other being AAAA St. Xavier) ensuring there will be atleast 3 new champions this year.

Russell (13-1)

1978 AAA W 17-7 over Woodford County

Coach Bio: Coach Ivan McGlone, much like Coach Bob Schneider of Newport Central Catholic, has been a mainstay in the Russell program. He has only 1 previous Finals experience just as his team. That game being a AAA State Championship over Woodword County.

Conclusion: All-time record in State Final games is 1-0. Russell has the longest drought since their last Finals appearance of teams who have ever made it to the Finals and the longest drought between championships of teams who have a previous State Championship.

AA Championship Preview

There will be a new AA State Champion this season. Neither team has a strong representation in Title games. This may be the most intriguing of all of the games this week. Owensboro Catholic presents a quick strike mainly passing attack that snaps the ball with 15-20 left on the playclock in an attempt to wear down the opposing team. Russell continues to run the Wing-T to perfection while wanting to milk the clock as much and shorten the game. The teams have no prior experience against each other in the Finals.

No common opponents

Bowling Green (13-1)

1995 AAA W 28-12 over Highlands
1994 AAA L 24-21 vs Covington Catholic

Coach Bio: Coach Kevin Wallace has led the Purples to a nearly undefeated season. Their lone loss was to AAAA Power St. X 13-7 in the first week of the season. Bowling Green has had the stingiest defense in the state only allowing 33 points in 10 regular season, 21 points in 4 playoff games, recording 8 shutouts (7 consecutive), and only allowing more than 7 points only twice (7-13 loss to St. X and 42-14 win over Bullitt East.) Coach Wallace has no previous Finals experience.

Conclusion: All-time record in Finals games is 1-1. Bowling Green has had a problem getting out of the West in recent years while having to contend with Hopkinsville and Boyle County.

Lexington Catholic (13-1)

No Finals Experience

Coach Bio: Coach Bob Sphire has no Finals experience. Lexington Catholic has one of the top offenses in the state this season. They have scored 676 points this season, 158 of which coming in the 4 playoff games.

Conclusion: Lexington Catholic has no Finals experience, but do not underestimate this team. They have always been on the verge of breaking through but have had a trouble getting through the region, mainly the Northern Kentucky powers (Highlands and Covington Catholic) from the opposing district. Having to play both of those powers, chances are few for Lexington Catholic, so they must capitalize when they get the opportunity. Their lone loss was also to St. Xavier (37-34) the second week of the season.

AAA Championship Preview

There will be a new AAA State Champion as well this season. Neither team has strong Finals presence, but both have had very good programs over the last several years. This is another, and maybe even more intriguing matchup than the pass vs run of Owensboro Catholic vs Russell as this game will present the best defense in the state vs the best offense in the state.

One Common Opponent

Bowling Green lost to St. Xavier 13-7 (8-20-05)
Lexington Catholic lost to St. Xavier 37-34 (8-27-05)

St. Xavier (14-0)

2004 AAAA W 49-9 over Scott County
2003 AAAA L 17-14 vs Trinity
1999 AAAA W 34-31 OT over Bryan Station
1997 AAAA W 3-0 over Trinity
1995 AAAA W 26-0 over Henry Clay
1992 AAAA W 3-0 over Boone County
1991 AAAA L 28-21 vs George Rogers Clark
1986 AAAA W 27-14 over Boone County
1978 AAAA W 42-21 over Tates Creek
1975 AAAA W 20-0 over Ashland Blazer
1974 AAA W 48-14 over Westport
1969 AAA W 15-0 over Butler
1962 AAA W 7-6 over Valley

Coach Bio: Coach Mike Glaser leads the only undefeated team left in the state of Kentucky while he is making his 9th appearence in the Finals this season. His previous record is 6-2 in Finals appearances. One loss coming to the hands of current Louisville star QB Brian Brohm formerly of Trinity.

Conclusion: All-time Finals record is 11-2 (AMAZING). St. Xavier is considered one of the top teams in the nation this season. There are currently ranked 24th in the Tony Poll and 14th in the Maxpreps ranking system, both nationally.

Trinity (12-2)

2003 AAAA W 17-14 over St. Xavier
2002 AAAA W 59-56 over Male
2001 AAAA W 45-19 over Male
2000 AAAA L 34-14 vs Male
1997 AAAA L 3-0 vs St. Xavier
1994 AAAA W 21-7 over Boone County
1990 AAAA W 27-14 over Warren Central
1989 AAAA W 28-14 over Warren Central
1988 AAAA W 28-0 over DuPont Manual
1985 AAAA W 28-7 over Lafayette
1983 AAAA W 26-7 over Owensboro
1980 AAAA W 31-8 over Paducah Tilghman
1977 AAAA W 28-7 over Greenup County
1976 AAAA W 28-24 over Henderson County
1973 AAA W 16-0 over Southern
1972 AAA W 21-0 over Butler
1970 AAA L 20-0 vs Butler
1968 AAA W 29-18 over Seneca

Coach Bio: Coach Bob Beatty had led the Shamrocks into their last 4 Finals appearances. He has a record of 3-1 in Finals games and has won 3 or the last 4 AAAA State Championships while appearing in 4 of the last 5.

Conclusion: All-time record in State Championship Games is 15-3 (WOW). Trinity is currently ranked 75th nationally in the Maxpreps Ranking System.

AAAA Championship Preview

These two teams met earlier this season at Papa John's Stadium. St. Xavier won the first mathup 48-16 over Trinity. Both teams are extremely rich in tradition and pride in this rivalry. This is the only game that will be played Friday, Dec. 2 while all others will be played Saturday, Dec. 3. St. Xavier and Trinity have identical records against each other in Championship games, 1-1.

Common Opponents

St. Xavier defeated DuPont Manual 17-7 (9-30-05)
St. Xavier defeated DuPont Manual 33-18 (11-11-05)
Trinity defeated DuPont Manual 38-34 (9-2-05)

St. Xavier defeated Fern Creek 44-13 (9-2-05)
Trinity defeated Fern Creek 37-7 (10-21-05)
Trinity defeated Fern Creek 38-13 (11-11-05)

The teams also met each other once already in the regular season
St. Xavier defeated Trinity 48-16 (9-23-05)

Note: AAAA was not started until 1975

Note: Only State Titles won or appeared in since the induction of the playoff system in 1959 were represented
BRAVO TomCat!!!

Joe Morris is Jack Morris's son.

Newport Catholic and Newport Central Catholic. In 1987, I think, the all boy's school, Newport Catholic, intergrated with the females and became Newport Central Catholic.

Greatest move ever, haha.

All kidding aside, this is very impressive Tomcat and a must read for all football fans in the state!!!

You need a raise! Wink
Very Nice! Tomcat. He comes up with the most interesting and most informative threads.

Thanks for all the wonderful info you supply this board!
A definite must read. That is a GREAT post. You come up with more information that I could think to find and when I would think of it then I couldn't find it.
VERY IMFORMATIVE POST!
Thanks.
Nice TC.
That's awesome TC!!
Great Job Tomcat, I didn't realize that this will be only the third time that St.X and Trinity have played in the finals. I would have figured they had a longer finals history.
LC99 Wrote:Great Job Tomcat, I didn't realize that this will be only the third time that St.X and Trinity have played in the finals. I would have figured they had a longer finals history.

Yeah I was totally shocked myself. I didn't take the time to look yet, but if maybe Tony Danza gets on he might be able to help out with why this is so. Is is possible that for a stretch a time they were both in the Eastern/Western side of the bracket forcing themselves to play each other in the State Semis rather than the Finals?
Russell High School................. Future State Champs!! In Your Face Smile
man thats some awesome info.....Trinity is a powerhouse when it comes to State Title Games.....15-3 overall
WTG TC!! Awesome post my friend.
Nice Post Tomcat!

You should be on Sportscenter!